HighSepton Stark

AlaskanSandman

Surely the short answer to this one is "we don't know, but probably not". 

It's not guaranteed that no Stark ever became High Septon, but we have had no indication that there was one, and given their links to the Old Gods it seems unlikely. But of course, it's possible. 

9 hours ago, AlaskanSandman said:

Except people have brought up reasonable connections to the Old Gods and the Faith, which would add to any Stark connection to the Faith. And Eddards comment alone to Bran make it a maybe. 

The Starks also need to accept the fairth nor adopt it to implant a member into the orgazation. They merely seek to use the organization to oppose the Targaryens.

While there may well be common roots to the two faiths, consistently throughout history we see the Starks keeping to the Old Gods. There is a strong hint that there is a supernatural link between them and the Old Gods, as indicated by Bran's karate kid schooling, and the role of the Direwolves. All the Stark kids, despite Catelyn's influence, seem drawn more to the Old Gods than the New. Even Sansa, who in GOT states that she prefers her mother's religion, is drawn to the Old Gods as she gets older. None of the others show any interest in the New Gods really. Robb and Jon seem devout (though ofc Jon's not half Tully).

That doesn't mean there have never ever been dissident Starks that have followed the Southron religion, but there seems to be some kind of supernatural disposition that would work hard against that. 

It doesn't seem to be a very good plan to implant a member of the family in the Faith, on the off chance they are able to become High Septon and influence politics that way. 

8 hours ago, AlaskanSandman said:

We're speaking about when he's talking to Arya, dont' mix stuff. Its Build Castles, Sail the Sunset Sea, and Serve as High Septon.

And Ned mentions that as an option because of Bran's mother's faith. You used the quote yourself. Yo do realise that Bran's ancestors are not just Starks, right?

It is not impossible and is even probable. 

How exactly is it probable? You clearly do not understand what the word probable means. Like I have already said, it is not impossible but it is not probable. My maternal grandparents are jewish, and while it is not impossible that one of their ancestors was the Pope it is more than likely they were not. 

The Starks descend from the Reach via Brandon of the Bloody Blade so don't discount their southren connections.

And there was no such thing as a High Septon in this mythical age you speak of. 

To honor the new gods, he built the first sept in Oldtown and six more elsewhere in his realm. When he died prematurely of a bad belly, Septon Robeson became regent for his newborn son, ruling Oldtown in all but name for the next twenty years and ultimately becoming the first HighSepton. The boy he raised and trained, Lord Triston Hightower, raised the Starry Sept in his honor after his passing.

I am looking at the context of what he's saying. And what he is telling her, 

No, you are ignoring them to make some crackpot theory

• Ned specifically mentions Bran's mother before he mentions him becoming the High Speton
  • His son is crippled, not many great jobs for a cripple in the medieval world

Like maybe Brandon Snow, brother of Torhen who wanted to kill Aegon's three dragons.

lol what? How do you figure this? We know that the High Septon at the time of Aegon's conquest was the person who was pro Targaryen while Brandon Snow was very much against them. We know that High Septon died in 11 AC. We know that another High Septon during Aegon's reign was the maternal uncle of Ceryse Hightower. 

Or maybe a son of Torhen who wanted to rebel against Aegon.

By becoming a priest of a religion he does not believe in? I guess it is just that easy, right? 

Consider the bigger picture.

Consider basic logic. 

Let's be clear... Fai-haired houses:

FIRST MEN: Lannister, Yronwood, Dayne, Hightower, Wildlings (Val) + others

ANDAL: Hardyng/possibly Arryn, Tarth + others

But, after all the years I do not believe that there is a house in Westeros that has no First Men blood. And I don't believe that blonde hair is Andal-only trait. I believe that both First Men and Andals have blonde hair. 

-----

As for High Septon Stark... It could've happened. If Royces believe in the Seven, than maybe one of Lorra's sons (Errold) was one or less-likely one of Jeyne Manderly's grandsons (Cregard or Torrhen). Maybe it was because of Bran and Arya'a Tully origin and maybe it was the first thing to come to his mind. But, if there really was one, we will know in the future.

1 hour ago, Bernie Mac said:

And Ned mentions that as an option because of Bran's mother's faith. You used the quote yourself. Yo do realise that Bran's ancestors are not just Starks, right?

How exactly is it probable? You clearly do not understand what the word probable means. Like I have already said, it is not impossible but it is not probable. My maternal grandparents are jewish, and while it is not impossible that one of their ancestors was the Pope it is more than likely they were not. 

And there was no such thing as a High Septon in this mythical age you speak of. 

To honor the new gods, he built the first sept in Oldtown and six more elsewhere in his realm. When he died prematurely of a bad belly, Septon Robeson became regent for his newborn son, ruling Oldtown in all but name for the next twenty years and ultimately becoming the first HighSepton. The boy he raised and trained, Lord Triston Hightower, raised the Starry Sept in his honor after his passing.

No, you are ignoring them to make some crackpot theory

• Ned specifically mentions Bran's mother before he mentions him becoming the High Speton
  • His son is crippled, not many great jobs for a cripple in the medieval world

lol what? How do you figure this? We know that the High Septon at the time of Aegon's conquest was the person who was pro Targaryen while Brandon Snow was very much against them. We know that High Septon died in 11 AC. We know that another High Septon during Aegon's reign was the maternal uncle of Ceryse Hightower. 

By becoming a priest of a religion he does not believe in? I guess it is just that easy, right? 

Consider basic logic. 

You just kind of sound like a rude and ignorant, and far from logical lol. Your stuff is  just beyond dumb and not worth retorting. And who care that your jewish, Clap clap. A jew by blood could become pope so that's just stupid. Or are you talking just the religious side of that coin? Or did you forget Mezionic Jews. Yea im done with your ignorant rants. Bye

@AlaskanSandman and @The Fattest Leech

to settle your "dispute" over first man and andal appearance;

First men in general have the colors brown, blonde and red

while we don't have much on Andals, we mostly see black hair among the members of Andal houses or andalized houses (such as Hoares).

Inhabitants of Myr, a walled Andal town before the Valyrians came having black hair (and olive skin, like Rhoynar) is also worth noticing.

As for being big, most of the big characters we have are from families of first men origin.

2 hours ago, AlaskanSandman said:

You just kind of sound like a rude and ignorant, and far from logical lol.

What is far from logical? Please let me know what you are confused about and I will happily explain it to you. 

Your stuff is  just beyond dumb and not worth retorting.

So why have you retorted? If it was not worth replying then why have you replied? 

And who care that your jewish, Clap clap. A jew by blood could become pope so that's just stupid.

Of course they can, but it is highly unlikely that one of my Jewish ancestors was the Pope? Do you really not understand that?

Or are you talking just the religious side of that coin? Or did you forget Mezionic Jews.

eh? Yes, I am 100 sure that no one who practices  Messianic Judaism has become the Pope 

16 hours ago, AlaskanSandman said:

Except people have brought up reasonable connections to the Old Gods and the Faith, which would add to any Stark connection to the Faith. And Eddards comment alone to Bran make it a maybe. 

The Starks also need to accept the fairth nor adopt it to implant a member into the orgazation. They merely seek to use the organization to oppose the Targaryens. 

Well no. They have pointed out reasonable connections to the current Stark Family and the Faith. These Starks were raised in both faiths as they wanted. Neither Arya nor Sansa is eligible to be a septon. Bran is literally the embodiment of the Old Gods. Rickon...well who knows if he is even alive. Robb is dead. Jon follows the old gods (and isn't a stark). 

There's really no connection other than the parallels people have pointed out and they mean little and less to a Stark becoming the HS.

1 hour ago, Bernie Mac said:

eh? Yes, I am 100 sure that no one who practices  Messianic Judaism has become the Pope 

Hey, the very first pope, St Peter, could certainly be classified as a Messianic Jew. The next few might also have been.

Absolutely nothing to do with a Stark High Septon, of course. 

On 2/28/2018 at 11:52 AM, Corvo the Crow said:

@AlaskanSandman and @The Fattest Leech

to settle your "dispute" over first man and andal appearance;

First men in general have the colors brown, blonde and red

while we don't have much on Andals, we mostly see black hair among the members of Andal houses or andalized houses (such as Hoares).

Inhabitants of Myr, a walled Andal town before the Valyrians came having black hair (and olive skin, like Rhoynar) is also worth noticing.

As for being big, most of the big characters we have are from families of first men origin.

Nice catch!

And yes and no on the first men, id still debate that. 

The blondes are only possibly linked to traveling pirates and a traveling Andal who was Lann's father. That's it. Which would be House Hightower, Iron Born and Tarth. 

Brown among first men? I can't find the proof but there may have been some. Lann is only historical figure mentioned other than Garth the Green. 

And the Iron Born talked smack about House Hoares Black Hair as an Andal taint, suggesting they were not dark haired people. 

Red? Kissed by Fire?....... Kissed by Fire wasn't a clue enough for most i guess. 

Who is fire? Who could have mixed with Brown Andals to produce red heads? Maybe blonde Targs? Kissed by Fire. 

Edit- So blonde is the only feature found for sure in First Men, but it seems tied to a specific group possibly. A group which may predate the "First Men" 

So either Andals were the first men or there is some waves that need understanding.

Archived