Daenerys is Azor Ahai.

I reread the last two Daenerys chapters of A Game of Thrones because of someone's insightful post on another thread (Daenerys Targaryen's Power Plays).  The decisions and the events which led to the birth of the dragons are the topic of countless discussions.  And well they should be because it is perhaps the most significant event to have taken place in the story.  I do not claim to have more answers than I did before my reread.  I have more questions.  But I picked up on a few details that I missed during my two readings of that book.  I will list them here for you.

1. Miscommunication or deception.  Khal Drogo was dying, not dead.  Daenerys asked for a cure.  Mirri Maz Duur says "only death can pay for life."  Mirri wanted to perform necromancy but presented it as treatment to keep Drogo from dying, basically cure him.  It is pointless to perform necromancy on the living.  I want to be clear on this.  Why in hell would Mirri use necromancy as the treatment for a man burning with fever?  Miscommunication?  I don't buy that.  Mirri took advantage of Daenerys's youth and trust.  She deceived Dany in order to murder Drogo.  Mirri was planning to murder Drogo all along.  It was easy.  She can easily let his body slip under the water and deprive him of oxygen, which can cause damage to the brain.  Drogo's is the death worse than death.  His soul is in darkness forever howling.  Mirri wanted to punish Drogo, send him to hell.
  2. Daenerys goes through three cycles of sleep+dream+waking.  Each time, her fears and her doubts are burned away.  The themes of the dreams have fire, tears, water, blood, and always dragons.  Fire and water are necessary for the tempering of weapons.  Daenerys herself goes through a tempering.  She comes through stronger and more sure of herself.  The Dragon has awoken. 

She wept for her child, the promise of a sweet mouth on her breast, but her tears turned to steam as they touched her skin.

Daenerys is Azor Ahai and the dragons are her weapons.  Lightbringer is not necessarily all weapon though.  Lightbringer brings light and chases away the darkness.  Darkness is not just the absence of light but means evil.  Bringing freedom to slaves and putting a stop to the slave trade is "bringing light and driving away evil."  It also means she will be instrumental in rebuilding the world after the long night has passed.  To bring light to a darkened world.

3. The ghost of dead kings in faded clothing are not Targaryen monarchs.  I think they are the previous incarnations of Azor Ahai.  Why are they cheering her on?  Because she can do what they failed to do.  End the cycle of the long night for good.  She is the first female of their line and the only one who can bring dragons to battle.  The best they had were swords of pale fire, which pale in comparison to three dragons.
  4. Mirri tried to poison Daenerys. 

The red door was so far ahead of her, and she could feel the icy breath behind, sweeping up on her.  If it caught her she would die a death that was more than death, howling forever alone in the darkness.  She began to run.

Icy breath means death.  A death worse than death is what Mirri did to Drogo.  Alive yet a prisoner within his own mind.   Something similar to complete paralysis.  Truly a hell.  Daenerys' instinct in her dream told her to fear the darkness.  It's obvious to me that Mirri tried to poison Daenerys.  Daenerys is resistant to many ailments that would fall an ordinary human.  She fought off the poison and recovered. 

5. Alive, but unable to move, speak, or eat is a different brand of death.  Take careful note that this is basically what the children of the forest do to the green seers.  Attach to the trees where they live in the darkness.  Bloodraven tells Bran that dark is good.  Bran should not be afraid of the dark. 

6. Mirri is versed in the same parlor tricks as Mellisandre.  Knowledge that could have come from Asshai.  The shadows in the tents and Rhaego's appearance are illusions.  Mirri studied under Marwyn and would have heard of Princess Rhaenyra and the Dance of the Dragons.  She would know the lore of the half-dragon baby born to Rhaenyra and chose to use it for her illusion. Rhaego was most probably normal. 

7. The hatching of the dragons is the other sign of Azor Ahai reborn.  I am mostly in agreement with the *Son of Man's (Daenerys Targaryens' Power Play) hypothesis for how Daenerys figured out how to hatch her dragons.  She figured it out and put all the data together in the last chapter. 

8. Daenerys believes Rhaego died because of exposure to Mirri's blood magic.  She believes Ser Jorah took her inside that tent by mistake.  She never mentions it back to Jorah and she never held it against him.  She has a wonderful capacity for understanding and empathy.  I can now fully understand why she was later furious over Jorah's betrayal in Book 3 and banished him. 

Thanks for the thoughtful replies to my original topic. I have done some more reading and came up with additional ideas on this topic.  Apologies because we have gone to the side of the road and veered to the left of the topic.  But this is still about Dany so I feel it's fine to proceed.  So those old men with the swords of fire.  They were Azor Ahai and the vision doesn't paint a picture of men who were in their primes and the tattered clothes probably meant they had not changed for a long time.  What could make kings wear faded and worn clothing?  The more I think on this and the more I read people's comments the more I refine my original ideas.  The clothes are faded because they were living through the long night!  Lack of food, spare clothing, gaunt, pale.  All point to people who lost civilization.  And their bespoke tailors!  

So if Azor Ahai won, why did the long night last so long?  Answer: He didn't win.  History is often wrong so why not legends.  Those Azor Ahais could not turn back the darkness.  They had to wait it out until the long night passed.  This is consistent with Nan's story of a night that lasted for a lifetime.  They also killed their wives. Due to insanity or maybe just like in Nan's story of the mother's smothering their babies to spare them from suffering.  Dany smothered Drogo to spare him from suffering.  

I don't have much to base this on except the post "Targaryen Madness Is An Exaggeration" and 'Will Jon Snow Go Mad?" posts.  I believe those kings went mad.  They were the ancestors of the Targaryens and they were all Azor Ahai.  They went mad.  Male Targaryens are susceptible to madness.  Think about this.  Madness can't be common among the 40 ruling families of old Valyria.  So just maybe it's not a Valyrian thing, it's a Targaryen family curse.  Call it genetics.  Whatever the case may be, many male Targaryens go mad.  

What is their interest in our young hero?  They were cheering Dany on like a squad of retired male cheerleaders.  Run, run away from the darkness.  Wake, wake the dragon.  They were encouraging Dany because she is the only hope to defeat the long night.  Why?  Because she's the first female Azor Ahai.  She's not susceptible to madness.   Azor Ahai is now female and she has three dragons.  She is the Prince Who Was Promised.  The prophecy used the word "prince" and it has been explained because dragons are gender neutral.  But we have to remember, the prophesied person comes before the dragons.  The word choice is not "prince' because dragons are gender neutral but because all the other Azor Ahais before were male.  But this time around is different and this is the game changer that everyone has been waiting for.  AA is born a female this time and instead of a magic sword she has three dragons!  English is not my strongest point so I am not getting my ideas across as well as I would like.  But I believe those old guys were AAs of ancient times, they lost the battle for the long night, they murdered their wives because they went insane, they only had swords to fight with, they have been waiting all this time for the Prince Who Was Promised, they needed a female AA to avoid the madness, they needed a female to hatch dragons, and that female Azor Ahai is Daenerys.

http://asoiaf.westeros.org/index.php?/topic/145805-targaryen-madness-is-an-exaggeration/

The swords of pale fire baffled me.  Pale fire looks like electric light.  Light that does not come from a flame, which is yellow fire.  The glass candles may not be lanterns at all but weapons.  If the original story was inspired by the lord of rings then why not a weapon that glows when the enemy is nearby.  In this case, when the enemy is stirring.  Dany is Azor Ahai and she will end up owning a glass candle before the end of this story.  Think about this.  A sword that drives away the darkness.  The darkness fled before the sword.  The glass candles are burning bright and only light drives away the darkness.  It is not a sword but to the ancients, anything long, pointed, and used against an enemy is a sword.  I think George Martin is being cute here.   Maybe he's a Star Wars fan.  Glass Candle = Light + Sword = Lightsaber = lights the darkness = Lightbringer.  Or think of it as a big flashlight.  Dany is not a swordsman but she can wield a glass candle to light the darkness ahead.

10 hours ago, James Fenimore Cooper XXII said:

Thanks for the thoughtful replies to my original topic. I have done some more reading and came up with additional ideas on this topic.  Apologies because we have gone to the side of the road and veered to the left of the topic.  But this is still about Dany so I feel it's fine to proceed.  So those old men with the swords of fire.  They were Azor Ahai and the vision doesn't paint a picture of men who were in their primes and the tattered clothes probably meant they had not changed for a long time.  What could make kings wear faded and worn clothing?  The more I think on this and the more I read people's comments the more I refine my original ideas.  The clothes are faded because they were living through the long night!  Lack of food, spare clothing, gaunt, pale.  All point to people who lost civilization.  And their bespoke tailors!  

So if Azor Ahai won, why did the long night last so long?  Answer: He didn't win.  History is often wrong so why not legends.  Those Azor Ahais could not turn back the darkness.  They had to wait it out until the long night passed.  This is consistent with Nan's story of a night that lasted for a lifetime.  They also killed their wives. Due to insanity or maybe just like in Nan's story of the mother's smothering their babies to spare them from suffering.  Dany smothered Drogo to spare him from suffering.  

I don't have much to base this on except the post "Targaryen Madness Is An Exaggeration" and 'Will Jon Snow Go Mad?" posts.  I believe those kings went mad.  They were the ancestors of the Targaryens and they were all Azor Ahai.  They went mad.  Male Targaryens are susceptible to madness.  Think about this.  Madness can't be common among the 40 ruling families of old Valyria.  So just maybe it's not a Valyrian thing, it's a Targaryen family curse.  Call it genetics.  Whatever the case may be, many male Targaryens go mad.  

What is their interest in our young hero?  They were cheering Dany on like a squad of retired male cheerleaders.  Run, run away from the darkness.  Wake, wake the dragon.  They were encouraging Dany because she is the only hope to defeat the long night.  Why?  Because she's the first female Azor Ahai.  She's not susceptible to madness.   Azor Ahai is now female and she has three dragons.  She is the Prince Who Was Promised.  The prophecy used the word "prince" and it has been explained because dragons are gender neutral.  But we have to remember, the prophesied person comes before the dragons.  The word choice is not "prince' because dragons are gender neutral but because all the other Azor Ahais before were male.  But this time around is different and this is the game changer that everyone has been waiting for.  AA is born a female this time and instead of a magic sword she has three dragons!  English is not my strongest point so I am not getting my ideas across as well as I would like.  But I believe those old guys were AAs of ancient times, they lost the battle for the long night, they murdered their wives because they went insane, they only had swords to fight with, they have been waiting all this time for the Prince Who Was Promised, they needed a female AA to avoid the madness, they needed a female to hatch dragons, and that female Azor Ahai is Daenerys.

http://asoiaf.westeros.org/index.php?/topic/145805-targaryen-madness-is-an-exaggeration/

She is Azor Ahai and the birth of the dragons is the proof of it.  Drogo was Nissa Nissa. 

7 hours ago, Here's Looking At You, Kid said:

The swords of pale fire baffled me.  Pale fire looks like electric light.  Light that does not come from a flame, which is yellow fire.  The glass candles may not be lanterns at all but weapons.  If the original story was inspired by the lord of rings then why not a weapon that glows when the enemy is nearby.  In this case, when the enemy is stirring.  Dany is Azor Ahai and she will end up owning a glass candle before the end of this story.  Think about this.  A sword that drives away the darkness.  The darkness fled before the sword.  The glass candles are burning bright and only light drives away the darkness.  It is not a sword but to the ancients, anything long, pointed, and used against an enemy is a sword.  I think George Martin is being cute here.   Maybe he's a Star Wars fan.  Glass Candle = Light + Sword = Lightsaber = lights the darkness = Lightbringer.  Or think of it as a big flashlight.  Dany is not a swordsman but she can wield a glass candle to light the darkness ahead.

George started out writing science fiction.  It doesn't surprise me if the glass candles turn to be some kind of advanced devices from another world. 

15 hours ago, Rosetta Stone said:

How interesting.  The biggest clue for Dany being AA is the hatching of the dragon eggs.  She literally woke dragons from stone.  Which was foretold in the prophecy. 

This Is Known.

13 hours ago, Here's Looking At You, Kid said:

Marwyn may be on his way to Dany with a glass candle.

20 hours ago, James Fenimore Cooper XXII said:

That Daenerys is Azor Ahai, I agree.  She is Azor Ahai.

I don't agree that the long night and the white walkers can be defeated.  Nature always wins versus man in George Martin's stories.  The fungus won the battle versus the men of greywater station.  The mud pots were winning versus man.  The long night will last until the climate shifts again.  A light stick is not going to change that.  The people will have to migrate out of Westeros to survive.  Dany is not coming to Westeros.  Westeros is coming to Dany.  Isn't it convenient to have empty cities like Vaes Toloro and Asshai?  Empty cities just waiting to be repopulated.  Dany will build her own empire in Essos and the people coming from Westeros will be part of that empire.

On 2/27/2018 at 8:56 PM, James Fenimore Cooper XXII said:

But this time around is different and this is the game changer that everyone has been waiting for.  AA is born a female this time and instead of a magic sword she has three dragons!

There are at least a few glass candles that we know of.  So AA was not the only one to have this magic sword.  

This is consistent with Nan's story of a night that lasted for a lifetime.

The long night and the darkness lasted the normal lifespan of a man.  Nobles and commons alike died.  Froze to death.  Starved.  Wighted.  

The clothes are faded because they were living through the long night

Agree.  

But I believe those old guys were AAs of ancient times, they lost the battle for the long night, they murdered their wives because they went insane, they only had swords to fight with, they have been waiting all this time for the Prince Who Was Promised, they needed a female AA to avoid the madness, they needed a female to hatch dragons, and that female Azor Ahai is Daenerys.

The story goes like this.  AA had a magic sword called Lightbringer and darkness fled before this sword.  The mental image of these pale swords and that of the Dayne family sword is similar.  They look like a 48" fluorescent light bulb.  Primitive people would think it's a magic sword but it's nothing more than a light producing device.  

One question though.  The Others and the wights are not afraid of light.  Sure they shun bright light but they don't require complete darkness like say a vampire.  Perhaps the light coming from these swords have ultraviolet properties that hurt the Others.  

I like the idea that these male AAs went insane and that was why they killed their wives.  

Those kings standing in the long hallway are certain to be the past incarnations of the Azor Ahai.  Each of the men are successive iterations of Azor Ahai and the end goal is to produce a female, Dany.  Notice the subtle changes in the hairs and the eyes.  The birth of Dany is the goal of the process and the kings have waited for so long for their promised princess.  A Song of Ice and Fire is the story of the Targaryen family.  This lineage was saved and nurtured to bring about the birth of the one who will finally end the cycle of erratic weather. 

The prophecy of Azor Ahai comes from the east.  I don't know why Mellisandre ever thought it was Stannis.  I don't think George Martin is a nihilist who will turn the world back to prehistoric times.  Dany (Azor Ahai) will find a way to help her people endure the long winter.  If the myth is true that the first long night was caused by the blood betrayal then it is reasonable to assume that the way to end it is to set things right.  By right, I mean to satisfy the Lion of the Night (the moon).  The Lion of the Night and the Maiden Made of Light (the sun) punished man for the blood betrayal.  The Maiden Made of Light (the sun) his her face, thus causing the long night.  The Lion of the Night (the moon) sent his white walkers to punish man.  That's how the myth goes.  If Dany is the reincarnation of their daughter, the Amethyst Empress, then her mere birth should satisfy the Lion of the Night, appease his anger and make him (the moon, the symbol for the night) go away.  The rebirth of her daughter may be enough to please the Maiden Made of Light (the sun) and draw her back into the world. 

I don't think warring against the white walkers is the answer.  Quite possibly, Dany will have to avenge the blood betrayal and seek out the reincarnation of her brother and kill him.  I'm fine with that. 

On 2/28/2018 at 0:05 AM, Here's Looking At You, Kid said:

It's an interesting idea given Sam's description:

A Feast for Crows - Samwell V

The candle was unpleasantly bright. There was something queer about it. The flame did not flicker, even when Archmaester Marwyn closed the door so hard that papers blew off a nearby table. The light did something strange to colors too. Whites were bright as fresh-fallen snow, yellow shone like gold, reds turned to flame, but the shadows were so black they looked like holes in the world. Sam found himself staring. The candle itself was three feet tall and slender as a sword, ridged and twisted, glittering black. "Is that . . . ?"

Although a pale light isn't very bright.  Martin describes the WW's ice swords as pale and of course Arthur Dayne's sword is kept in the Palestone Tower.  I'm more inclined to think that the pale sword in Dany's vision is the Dawn Sword.

It seems to me though that Melisandre is doing just what you suggest with Stannis' new sword

A Storm of Swords - Samwell V

The king frowned. "Everyone else has seen the thing, why not a blind man?" His swordbelt and scabbard hung from a peg near the hearth. He took the belt down and drew the longsword out. Steel scraped against wood and leather, and radiance filled the solar; shimmering, shifting, a dance of gold and orange and red light, all the bright colors of fire.

"Tell me, Samwell." Maester Aemon touched his arm.

"It glows," said Sam, in a hushed voice. "As if it were on fire. There are no flames, but the steel is yellow and red and orange, all flashing and glimmering, like sunshine on water, but prettier. I wish you could see it, Maester."

A Storm of Swords - Samwell V

"Y-yes, Your Grace. Jon Snow gave it to me."

"Dragonglass." The red woman's laugh was music. "Frozen fire, in the tongue of old Valyria. Small wonder it is anathema to these cold children of the Other."

"On Dragonstone, where I had my seat, there is much of this obsidian to be seen in the old tunnels beneath the mountain," the king told Sam. "Chunks of it, boulders, ledges. The great part of it was black, as I recall, but there was some green as well, some red, even purple. I have sent word to Ser Rolland my castellan to begin mining it. I will not hold Dragonstone for very much longer, I fear, but perhaps the Lord of Light shall grant us enough frozen fire to arm ourselves against these creatures, before the castle falls."

8 hours ago, E.S. Dinah said:

The prophecy of Azor Ahai comes from the east.  I don't know why Mellisandre ever thought it was Stannis.  I don't think George Martin is a nihilist who will turn the world back to prehistoric times.  Dany (Azor Ahai) will find a way to help her people endure the long winter.  If the myth is true that the first long night was caused by the blood betrayal then it is reasonable to assume that the way to end it is to set things right.  By right, I mean to satisfy the Lion of the Night (the moon).  The Lion of the Night and the Maiden Made of Light (the sun) punished man for the blood betrayal.  The Maiden Made of Light (the sun) his her face, thus causing the long night.  The Lion of the Night (the moon) sent his white walkers to punish man.  That's how the myth goes.  If Dany is the reincarnation of their daughter, the Amethyst Empress, then her mere birth should satisfy the Lion of the Night, appease his anger and make him (the moon, the symbol for the night) go away.  The rebirth of her daughter may be enough to please the Maiden Made of Light (the sun) and draw her back into the world. 

I don't think warring against the white walkers is the answer.  Quite possibly, Dany will have to avenge the blood betrayal and seek out the reincarnation of her brother and kill him.  I'm fine with that. 

Why Stannis?  I wondered myself and thought up some interesting possibilities.  Stannis has Valyrian genes through his ancestors, though faint and watered down.  His capital was Dragonstone and he had the largest stockpile of the stuff.  

I like this theory about the Lion Of the Night being the moon and the Maiden Of the Light being the sun.  Their children became the leaders of man who quarreled among themselves.  Knowing the author as a critic of unjustified war, there is more to this than one child murdering another child.  It was probably a big conflict between two powerful factions with each one being led by one of the star children.  There is an Abel-Cain parallel and perhaps that was the inspiration for this sibling rivalry.  If this is true it would help explain why the Red Comet worked for Dany as it was guiding her to safety.  

On 2/28/2018 at 5:53 PM, Annalee said:

That Daenerys is Azor Ahai, I agree.  She is Azor Ahai.

I don't agree that the long night and the white walkers can be defeated.  Nature always wins versus man in George Martin's stories.  The fungus won the battle versus the men of greywater station.  The mud pots were winning versus man.  The long night will last until the climate shifts again.  A light stick is not going to change that.  The people will have to migrate out of Westeros to survive.  Dany is not coming to Westeros.  Westeros is coming to Dany.  Isn't it convenient to have empty cities like Vaes Toloro and Asshai?  Empty cities just waiting to be repopulated.  Dany will build her own empire in Essos and the people coming from Westeros will be part of that empire.

The 5 Forts will be inhabited again if the threat of the Others extend to Essos as well.  I am actually looking forward to this scenario as there are many more interesting places in Essos compared to Westeros. 

:)^_^:agree:

The prophecy states the darkness fled before the light stick.  It said nothing about the light stick killing white walkers.  Azor Ahai did his thing in Essos.  We know the darkness covered Westeros and it must have covered Essos too.  But we don't have anything in the way of history that tells us if the Others made it as far as Essos.  Azor Ahai (Dany) is not destined to fight the Others.  I think that role belongs to the last hero, which is Bran.  Bran will stop the Others from advancing.  Dany will bring back the daylight.  Each of the heroes have a specific role to play in saving the world.

If we examine the history further the children broke the arm of Dorne to prevent more humans from crossing.  But in so doing, they may have sealed their own fate and stranded themselves on their side of the world with no way to cross to Essos.  It had the indirect result of preventing the spread of the Others to Essos.

Spoiler

Aegon Blackfyre and Bran Stark will lead the defense of the west against the Others.  Jon's arc as a human is done.  He will live on within Ghost and his role will lead the remaining pack of wolves.  Arya and Rickon will also die and live on within their wolves, making Jojen a little bit correct when he said the wolves will come again.  Jon, Arya, and Rickon will die and form the pack.  The show purposely wrote out Aegon in order to bring Jon back to life to satisfy his fans.  Show-Jon was given Aegon's plot line. 

The Valyrians didn't conquer the west and the reason is lost to time.  We know that the need for slaves to work the mines was dire.  Their greed was unsatisfied and their need for slave labor was hard to meet.  Westeros had giants and men who could be forced to work the mines.  So why didn't the Dragonlords conquer the west.  I think they knew the history and purposely stayed away because of the Others.   I think the final resolution to the problem is man leaving the west and migrating back to the east. 

Azor Ahai is Jon, not Dany.

This could be NOT a prophecy - "When the red star bleeds and the darkness gathers, Azor Ahai shall be born again amidst smoke and salt to wake dragons out of stone." - ADWD, Jon X, Melisandre said this to Jon.

Could be that what Melisandre said, is just her own interpretation. Because other people, that were saying something about Long Night, and Azor Ahai, and the Prince that was promised, never mentioned dragons.

So waking dragons from stone, is solely what Melisandre thinks, about what Azor Ahai will do. Though she was wrong, when she thought that Stannis is Azor Ahai. So could be that she's also wrong, about Azor Ahai waking dragons from stone. Could be that she saw in a vision, dragons hatching from stone eggs, and she thought that it will be done by Azor Ahai. But it was done NOT by Azor Ahai.

Melisandre was wrong MANY times. Stannis is not Azor Ahai, the girl on dying horse was not Arya, Battle of Blackwater's Bay was a failure, etc.

Gods give to people prophecies or prophetic visions, and people interpret them, either correctly or not. And this is what the Lord of Light has shown to Melisandre:

"I pray for a glimpse of Azor Ahai, and R'hllor shows me only Snow." - ADWD, Melisandre I.

This chapter is the first, and so far the sole chapter with Melisandre's POV. And from this chapter we know what she actually sees and thinks. This chapter and Melisandre's visions in it, is not merely a hint from GRRM about Azor Ahai's identity, it's a direct and unambiguous information - Azor Ahai is Jon Snow. The Author said so.

This is vision that Stannis saw in flames, ASOS, Davos IV:

Stannis stared at the silver dish. “She has shown it to me, Lord Davos. In the flames.”

You saw it, sire?” It was not like Stannis Baratheon to lie about such a thing.

“With mine own eyes. After the battle, when I was lost to despair, the Lady Melisandre bid me gaze into the hearthfire. The chimney was drawing strongly, and bits of ash were rising from the fire. I stared at them, feeling half a fool, but she bid me look deeper, and… the ashes were white, rising in the updraft, yet all at once it seemed as if they were falling. Snow, I thought. Then the sparks in the air seemed to circle, to become a ring of torches, and I was looking through the fire down on some high hill in a forest. The cinders had become men in black behind the torches, and there were shapes moving through the snow. For all the heat of the fire, I felt a cold so terrible I shivered, and when I did the sight was gone, the fire but a fire once again. But what I saw was real, I’d stake my kingdom on it.”

“And have,” said Melisandre.

The conviction in the king’s voice frightened Davos to the core. “A hill in a forest… shapes in the snow… I don’t…”

It means that the battle is begun,” said Melisandre. “The sand is running through the glass more quickly now, and man’s hour on earth is almost done. We must act boldly, or all hope is lost. Westeros must unite beneath her one true king, the prince that was promised, Lord of Dragonstone and chosen of R’hllor.

And this is what happened, ASOS, Samwell I:

A dog ran past barking, and he saw some of the men from the Shadow Tower, big bearded men with longaxes and eight-foot spears. He felt safer for their company, so he followed them to the wall. When he saw the torches still burning atop the ring of stones a shudder of relief went through him.

The black brothers stood with swords and spears in hand, watching the snow fall, waiting. Ser Mallador Locke went by on his horse, wearing a snow-speckled helm. Sam stood well back behind the others, looking for Grenn or Dolorous Edd. If I have to die, let me die beside my friends, he remembered thinking. But all the men around him were strangers, Shadow Tower men under the command of the ranger named Blane.

Here they come,” he heard a brother say.

It happened long after the dragons were hatched by Dany in Essos. Melisandre and Stannis thought that this vision is the beginning of the battle against darkness, and that people should unite beneath the prince that was promised, Lord of Dragonstone.

And who is rightful Lord of Dragonstone, and the prince? First died Crown Prince Rhaegar, then was killed his father King Aerys, and after him died little prince Aegon, that authomatically became Crown Prince, when his father Rhaegar died. So after all three died, next in line to Iron Throne and Targaryen crown, is Rhaegar's second son, Jon Snow. And until he will be officially crowned, he is the Crown Prince and Lord of Dragonstone. Thus he is the Prince that was promised. And Melisandre thought that it was Stannis, because formally he is the Lord of Dragonstone, even though he's just a brother of Usurper, and thus his title isn't actually viable.

And waking dragons from stone, has nothing to do with the prophecy about Long Night, and Azor Ahai, and the promised Prince.

Add to that, that Jon saw himself in a prophetic dream, wielding blazing sword. Blazing sword - Lightbringer. Wielder of Lightbringer - Azor Ahai. Another prove that Azor Ahai is Jon.

1. Who is wielder of blazing sword Lightbringer? - Jon Snow.

2. Who is the Lord of Dragonstone, and Crown Prince of Targaryen dynasty? - Jon Snow.

3. Melisandre asked R'hllor to show her Azor Ahai, and whom did the deity showed to her? - Jon Snow.

2 hours ago, Megorova said:

Azor Ahai is Jon, not Dany.

This could be NOT a prophecy - "When the red star bleeds and the darkness gathers, Azor Ahai shall be born again amidst smoke and salt to wake dragons out of stone." - ADWD, Jon X, Melisandre said this to Jon.

Could be that what Melisandre said, is just her own interpretation. Because other people, that were saying something about Long Night, and Azor Ahai, and the Prince that was promised, never mentioned dragons.

So waking dragons from stone, is solely what Melisandre thinks, about what Azor Ahai will do. Though she was wrong, when she thought that Stannis is Azor Ahai. So could be that she's also wrong, about Azor Ahai waking dragons from stone. Could be that she saw in a vision, dragons hatching from stone eggs, and she thought that it will be done by Azor Ahai. But it was done NOT by Azor Ahai.

Melisandre was wrong MANY times. Stannis is not Azor Ahai, the girl on dying horse was not Arya, Battle of Blackwater's Bay was a failure, etc.

Gods give to people prophecies or prophetic visions, and people interpret them, either correctly or not. And this is what the Lord of Light has shown to Melisandre:

"I pray for a glimpse of Azor Ahai, and R'hllor shows me only Snow." - ADWD, Melisandre I.

This chapter is the first, and so far the sole chapter with Melisandre's POV. And from this chapter we know what she actually sees and thinks. This chapter and Melisandre's visions in it, is not merely a hint from GRRM about Azor Ahai's identity, it's a direct and unambiguous information - Azor Ahai is Jon Snow. The Author said so.

This is vision that Stannis saw in flames, ASOS, Davos IV:

And this is what happened, ASOS, Samwell I:

It happened long after the dragons were hatched by Dany in Essos. Melisandre and Stannis thought that this vision is the beginning of the battle against darkness, and that people should unite beneath the prince that was promised, Lord of Dragonstone.

And who is rightful Lord of Dragonstone, and the prince? First died Crown Prince Rhaegar, then was killed his father King Aerys, and after him died little prince Aegon, that authomatically became Crown Prince, when his father Rhaegar died. So after all three died, next in line to Iron Throne and Targaryen crown, is Rhaegar's second son, Jon Snow. And until he will be officially crowned, he is the Crown Prince and Lord of Dragonstone. Thus he is the Prince that was promised. And Melisandre thought that it was Stannis, because formally he is the Lord of Dragonstone, even though he's just a brother of Usurper, and thus his title isn't actually viable.

And waking dragons from stone, has nothing to do with the prophecy about Long Night, and Azor Ahai, and the promised Prince.

Add to that, that Jon saw himself in a prophetic dream, wielding blazing sword. Blazing sword - Lightbringer. Wielder of Lightbringer - Azor Ahai. Another prove that Azor Ahai is Jon.

1. Who is wielder of blazing sword Lightbringer? - Jon Snow.

2. Who is the Lord of Dragonstone, and Crown Prince of Targaryen dynasty? - Jon Snow.

3. Melisandre asked R'hllor to show her Azor Ahai, and whom did the deity showed to her? - Jon Snow.

I disagree.  Waking dragons from stone is the definitive sign of Azor Ahai.  I also am in agreement with the OP, the kings in faided raiment were the former versions of Azor Ahai.  Those are not the Targaryen kings of Westeros.  They predate Valyria.  They were encouraging Dany because she is the reincarnation of Azor Ahai. 

Jon is not Azor Ahai because he will not be coming back.  At least not in the form of a man.  He may come back as a dog in the form of Ghost but he is not coming back as a man.  Good old Bowen made sure of that.  I'm not even sure that Jon will come back as a dog.  Bowen Marsh and the guys will find Ghost and finish him off too.  

You may be right.  Dany fits the criteria to be Azor Ahai.  Drogo was her Nissa Nissa and the sacrifice led to the birth of the dragons.

If a sword can light up when orcs are near why not a sword that lights up when the others are coming.  I agree and it's not an actual sword that cuts flesh but one that cuts through the darkness like a blade of sunlight. 

On 3/2/2018 at 1:35 PM, LynnS said:

It's an interesting idea given Sam's description:

Although a pale light isn't very bright.  Martin describes the WW's ice swords as pale and of course Arthur Dayne's sword is kept in the Palestone Tower.  I'm more inclined to think that the pale sword in Dany's vision is the Dawn Sword.

It seems to me though that Melisandre is doing just what you suggest with Stannis' new sword

The glass candles are made of obsidian.  The Dayne sword is described to look like milk glass.  The two do not look the same.  At least not when obsidian is unlit.  I'm thinking the Dayne sword is a one of a kind.

13 hours ago, Noble Lothar Frey said:

Jon is not Azor Ahai because he will not be coming back.  At least not in the form of a man.  He may come back as a dog in the form of Ghost but he is not coming back as a man.  Good old Bowen made sure of that.  I'm not even sure that Jon will come back as a dog.  Bowen Marsh and the guys will find Ghost and finish him off too.  

Jon is going to return. Furthermore in a human form. He's a main character in four (maybe five) prophecies/visions:

• three fires must you light . . . one for life and one for death and one to love
  • three mounts must you ride . . . one to bed and one to dread and one to love
  • three treasons will you know . . . once for blood and once for gold and once for love
  • From a smoking tower, a great stone beast took wing, breathing shadow fire. . . . mother of dragons, slayer of lies
  • A blue flower grew from a chink in a wall of ice, and filled the air with sweetness. . . . mother of dragons, bride of fire

Mount to ride is a lover, not a horse. One to bed - Daario Naharis, one to dread - Dany's second husband, one to love - Jon.

"One to bed" - do people "bed" with horses? (I mean NORMAL people.) No, they don't. Thus those mounts in the prophecy are men, not horses.

Blue flower on the wall is also Jon, and Dany will be his bride. Bride of fire, because Jon is Azor Ahai, champion of Lord of Light. And Dany can't marry, nor to have sex with a Ghost.

Also Jon is one of three lies: smoking tower - Tower of Joy; stone beast with wings, breathing fire - chimera, half-dragon half-direwolf, half-Targaryen half-Stark. And he's breathing shadow fire, because he is living in secret, in shadows, secret Targaryen/dragon.

Though treason for love may be not about Jon, it could be either Tyrion or Barristan, or someone else.

I disagree.  Waking dragons from stone is the definitive sign of Azor Ahai. 

There was no mentioning of any dragons in legends about Azor Ahai, or in a prophecy about his return.

This is purely Melisandre's own opinion: "When the red star bleeds and the darkness gathers, Azor Ahai shall be born again amidst smoke and salt to wake dragons out of stone." Birth of Azor Ahai amidst smoke and salt was also mentioned separately from return of dragons. So this part about dragons, is Melisandre's own addition.

"Benerro has sent forth the word from Volantis. Her coming is the fulfillment of an ancient prophecy. From smoke and salt was she born to make the world anew. She is Azor Ahai returned ... and her triumph over darkness will bring a summer that will never end ... death itself will bend its knee, and all those who die fighting in her cause shall be reborn"

Dany was born on a Dragonstone island, amidst salt water / sea. But there was no smoke. And during Drogo's funeral, there was smoke, but there was no salt. Dany wasn't even crying.

I think that this salt and smoke could be literal. Where will Brothers put Jon's body, if he is dead? It's unlikely that they will be ready to immediately prepare a funeral pyre for him. They will be busy dealing with revolt. Though they can't just leave Jon's body where it was, in case if he will turn into white walker. Thus they will put him somewhere. In ice cells there's already two dead bodies, and some prisoners, and during fight after Jon's death, there will be even more people held there. Thus they will put Jon's body into "basement". And what is kept there? -> Provision. Including salt, and meat that they smoke. So could be that Jon will be lying in a room where Brothers usually make cured meat, by salting it and smoking. So there will be salt and smoke there, and that's the place where Jon will become alive again. Probably brought back by Melisandre's kiss of fire.

Also Lightbringer is an actual sword. It was forged/made by Azor Ahai.

ADWD, Jon III: “I looked at that book Maester Aemon left me. The Jade Compendium. The pages that told of Azor Ahai. Lightbringer was his sword. Tempered with his wife’s blood if Votar can be believed. Thereafter Lightbringer was never cold to the touch, but warm as Nissa Nissa had been warm. In battle the blade burned fiery hot. Once Azor Ahai fought a monster. When he thrust the sword through the belly of the beast, its blood began to boil. Smoke and steam poured from its mouth, its eyes melted and dribbled down its cheeks, and its body burst into flame.”

AA's Lightbringer wasn't a dragon, you can't thrust a dragon through someone's belly :rolleyes: thus it's a sword, not a dragon.

I also am in agreement with the OP, the kings in faided raiment were the former versions of Azor Ahai.  Those are not the Targaryen kings of Westeros.  They predate Valyria.  They were encouraging Dany because she is the reincarnation of Azor Ahai. 

Those people were Targaryen Kings, doesn't actually matter from what time where they. What matters is that they are Dany's ancestors.

Did you missed part, where they cried as one?

"Ghosts lined the hallway, dressed in the faded raiment of kings. In their hands were swords of pale fire. They had hair of silver and hair of gold and hair of platinum white, and their eyes were opal and amethyst, tourmaline and jade. “Faster,” they cried, “faster, faster.” She raced, her feet melting the stone wherever they touched. “Faster!” the ghosts cried as one"

There was ONE person, that was all of those Kings:

AGOT - "the stars smiled down on them, stars in a daylight sky", "After that, for a long time, there was only the pain, the fire within her, and the whisperings of stars."

ADWD - "She was flying once again, spinning, laughing, dancing, as the stars wheeled around her and whispered secrets in her ear. “To go north, you must journey south. To reach the west, you must go east. To go forward, you must go back. To touch the light you must pass beneath the shadow.”

Quaithe?” Dany called. “Where are you, Quaithe?”

Then she saw. Her mask is made of starlight. “Remember who you are, Daenerys,” the stars whispered in a woman’s voice. “The dragons know. Do you?”"

Quaithe was helping Dany to deliver Rhaego. And she shares with Dany same ancestors. Those Kings were crying as one, because Quaithe combines in her their bloodline. She's Shiera Seastar, Dany's relative. Those were not previous incarnations of Azor Ahai's chearing Dany, that was Quaithe encouraging Dany while she was giving birth to Rhaego. Faster, faster, was actually Push, push.

When next book will come out, and if there will be Dany's POV, when she will meet Quaithe again, and it will be revealed that Quaithe is indeed Shiera, then you'll see that those Kings being past Azor Ahais is incorrect.

4 hours ago, Princess Daenerys said:

If a sword can light up when orcs are near why not a sword that lights up when the others are coming.  I agree and it's not an actual sword that cuts flesh but one that cuts through the darkness like a blade of sunlight. 

Lightbringer was able to do both - to cut thru darkness and thru flesh:

"Lightbringer was never cold to the touch, but warm as Nissa Nissa had been warm. In battle the blade burned fiery hot. Once Azor Ahai fought a monster. When he thrust the sword through the belly of the beast, its blood began to boil."

Archived