Tennis Volume 7: Roger That!

Mladen

To be honest, probably a good thing her run ended when it did. Too much too early is not a good thing - already a number of other pros who were young prodigies are saying she better not believe everything she reads and can't let it get to her head.

Not that I'm blaming the press, but early on Tomic and Kyrgios both got absurdly premature write ups about being Grand Slam winners (and in Kyrgios's case billed as a future number one). Both have significant issues with their work ethic, lack of coaches and brittle mental games that would have happened anyway, but all that adoration probably didn't help.

Perhaps. I don’t know what those two were like before their star turns, but I can easily see it feeding into their childishness. That said I do think Gauff has a good head on her shoulders and that she’ll be able to handle the fame if she pans out.

Also, didn’t women use to break when they were super young back in the 70’s and 80’s and burn out in their early 20’s?

12 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

Also, didn’t women use to break when they were super young back in the 70’s and 80’s and burn out in their early 20’s?

Hingis was winning Grand Slams at 16 in the 90s. She picked up a load of injuries in her early 20s and it sort of felt like the game passed her by later on. Perhaps that’s a bit harsh and she was inhibited by the injuries.

1 hour ago, ljkeane said:

Hingis was winning Grand Slams at 16 in the 90s. She picked up a load of injuries in her early 20s and it sort of felt like the game passed her by later on. Perhaps that’s a bit harsh and she was inhibited by the injuries.

I gotta believe injuries affect tennis players more than most athletes.

Hingis went pretty well for a few years but the injuries took their toll. She certainly didn't have any issues with handling the fame or expectations at a young age, that being said I seem to remember her mother was incredibly intense and had basically oriented her whole life around Hingis becoming number one.

Well the surprises keep coming, what do I know. Barty out, Pliskova out, Raonic out!

So we have Fedal in Wimbledon semifinal at last. Though judging by their performance in the tournament so far, it might not be much longer match than in Paris few weeks ago. Nadal is crushing his opponents without mercy, and Federer is clearly struggling to find his best form here. I hope I'm wrong and we'll get yet another epic battle after all, but for now I predict a quick Nadal win, in three, four sets at the most. Wimbledon grass is much slower than a decade ago, and it's impressive how Nadal adjusted his game to this surface anyway.

So I guess Djokovic-Nadal final, and this could go either way. But man, how I would like to be proved wrong. Another title for Federer would be just amazing.

Serena will be the massive favourite for the match, but Halep has the potential to make it a difficult game for her. Problem for Halep is that grass is her worst surface and potentially Serena's best, in the sense that it rewards big serves and big shots. Even with the slowing of the grass courts over the day, the surface is too fast for the grinding rallies that Halep thrives on. Personally I'd like to see Halep win but realistically I doubt it will happen.

People talk about Federer's graceful style (as opposed to the more workmanlike Djokovic and Nadal) and for me that's one reason why I prefer Fed to the other two. But I think a lot of it also boils down to the somewhat simplistic fact that Federer was there first. 

He was the trailblazer and the first superstar, the guy who took that mantle from Sampras and the guy who was dominant for a few years before Nadal and Djokovic really got going. Djokovic and Nadal each had their own few years of dominance as Number One but Federer was the first one of the Big Three to emerge on the global stage. I think there's something in that narrative of wanting the old man of the group to still show the "new" kids he's got it.

3 hours ago, BigFatCoward said:

I think fed really needs this if he wants the big 3 to all be retired and he has the most slams. 

I have a sinking feeling that Novak will have the most in the end. Feds can't play forever and Nadal will have to break down again at some point. Frankly those two combined with Serena makes one question if there isn't something go on there....

1 hour ago, Jeor said:

People talk about Federer's graceful style (as opposed to the more workmanlike Djokovic and Nadal) and for me that's one reason why I prefer Fed to the other two. But I think a lot of it also boils down to the somewhat simplistic fact that Federer was there first. 

He was the trailblazer and the first superstar, the guy who took that mantle from Sampras and the guy who was dominant for a few years before Nadal and Djokovic really got going. Djokovic and Nadal each had their own few years of dominance as Number One but Federer was the first one of the Big Three to emerge on the global stage. I think there's something in that narrative of wanting the old man of the group to still show the "new" kids he's got it.

Does being first make you the best? I'm a biased Nadal fan, but I think at their peaks he was the best of the three, and I think Novak's peak was better than Fed's too. Tricky thing is their primes didn't entirely line up and the fact that Nadal just owns one surface makes it harder to say he's the best overall.

Oh, being the first doesn't make you the best (as that was more a matter of age and timing than talent) but it does make Federer my favourite of the big three.

22 minutes ago, BigFatCoward said:

I just can't have someone as the greatest of all time who has won as many non French open grand slams as Becker and Edberg. 

That is nadal's problem. He is the best Clay player of all time. But is he a better player on general than sempras for example? 

12 hours ago, Tywin et al. said:

Does being first make you the best? I'm a biased Nadal fan, but I think at their peaks he was the best of the three, and I think Novak's peak was better than Fed's too. Tricky thing is their primes didn't entirely line up and the fact that Nadal just owns one surface makes it harder to say he's the best overall.

Actually novak's and nadal's peak was basically at the same time and Novak completly owned Nadal everywhere except clay. 

After fed stopped being number 1 Novak defeated Nadal close to 10 times in a row... 

On the other hand Nadal once or twice appeared on hardcourts serving really well and crushed his adversaries. However it is a really rare event... Novak and fed are much more consistent on all surfaces than Nadal. 

Archived