Risto

Tennis Volume 7: Roger That!

2 hours ago, David Selig said:

I don't see it as a positive. It's really not good for the sport IMO when the current youngest slam winner will be 30 in two weeks and that anyone younger even winning a Masters is so rare.

Anyway, a bit more factual info in regards to the Serena situation - Ramos apparently received an apology from the USTA president and the article has some interesting data regarding violations given by umpires during the last 20 years in Grand Slams: https://www.smh.com.au/sport/tennis/ramos-returns-to-chair-after-serena-dramas-as-stats-back-him-up-20180914-p503ot.html

Now, someone would probably try to spin the coaching violation part as unfair to female players and ignore the rest, but from what I've watched, there are just more coaches who ignore the rules on that in the women's game. It was so widespread that WTA decided to allow coaching during change of ends, while ATP has never considered such a possibility as far as I know.

Yeah, at this point it isn't looking good. Not only are all the star players over thirty, but the next lot aren't young- Del Potro is 29, Anderson is 32, Cilic is 29, Tsonga is 33... I think when Roger retires there's going to be a huge wave of retirement in a couple of years, and I bet the bean counters are worried about falling attendances, both in person and on tv. 

I mean, there is sexism in tennis. Like all the scrutiny of Murray having a female coach, Mauresmo. That doesn't mean every time a woman is penalised, it's due to sexism. This is like the OJ case, a lot of the argument was whether he was innocent and the police were racist, or he's guilty and the police aren't racist. Of course, there was a lot of racism in policing, but that doesn't stop black people committing murders. 

17 hours ago, mankytoes said:

Yeah, at this point it isn't looking good. Not only are all the star players over thirty, but the next lot aren't young- Del Potro is 29, Anderson is 32, Cilic is 29, Tsonga is 33... I think when Roger retires there's going to be a huge wave of retirement in a couple of years, and I bet the bean counters are worried about falling attendances, both in person and on tv.

Tennis administrators have got to be worried about the impending wave of retirements, not just the top four but the other regular fan favourites and recognisable names are all the same age (as mentioned, Tsonga, Del Potro, Cilic, etc).

Some of the next generation are thoroughly unlikeable like Kyrgios. There are potential superstars in Thiem, Zverev, Edmund, Chung and Coric - who are the current members of the top 30 who are about the right age (25 or under). But the truth is, the average tennis fan only really follows the Grand Slams, so these guys need to be consistently reaching the semis to get name-recognition and none of them are really doing it yet.