Tennis Volume 7: Roger That!

Mladen

4 minutes ago, Free Northman Reborn said:

In majors Federer has a single win against Nadal after that 2008 Wimbledon defeat. Should I point out how many Nadal has against Federer in that period?

I think he has 2 or 3 victories over Nadal in slams since 2008...

How many does Nadal have outside of clay since 2008?

5 minutes ago, divica said:

I think that basically Nadal owns Federer on clay and on other surfaces Federer has a slight advantage. 

I’d say it’s a coin flip off clay, but having to say that admits that Nadal is the better player. Plus Feds is four years older and only has two more slams, and he got a lot of those before Nadal and Novak rose to greatness.    

7 minutes ago, divica said:

I think he has 2 or 3 victories over Nadal in slams since 2008...

How many does Nadal have outside of clay since 2008?

I always root for Federer against Nadal, but it always feels like a futile cause. As for stats, Wikipedia seems to suggest that Nadal is 10-3 against Federer in major matches overall. Not sure if that is accurate but it feels more or less correct.

2 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

I’d say it’s a coin flip off clay, but having to say that admits that Nadal is the better player. Plus Feds is four years older and only has two more slams, and he got a lot of those before Nadal and Novak rose to greatness.    

But then we have to argue that most of the matches between Nadal and fed (outside clay) are post 2008... 

I can t really compare the best Nadal VS the best Federer because it is clear that the best Nadal happened after the best Federer... On the other hand the best Novak to me is better than the best Nadal because they happened at the same time... 

And I can t ever say that a player with 4 or 5 slams outside of clay is better than a player with 19 slams on the other 3 tournaments.... 

Honestly, besides saying that Nadal is twice as good as any other player on clay is difficult to compare him to Novak or Federer because his rsults are just too different from them... 

4 minutes ago, Free Northman Reborn said:

I always root for Federer against Nadal, but it always feels like a futile cause. As for stats, Wikipedia seems to suggest that Nadal is 10-3 against Federer in major matches overall. Not sure if that is accurate but it feels more or less correct.

That isn t accurate. At most it is the h2h on finals because I am sure that fed won 1 AO and 2 W against Nadal. And I am not sure if he didn t defeat Nadal more times on the AO... 

And don't forget that 5 or 7 of those defeats are on RL (5 finals +2 semi-finals)... 

1 minute ago, Free Northman Reborn said:

All time best will probably end:

1. Novak

2. Nadal

3. Federer

Nadal has to double his winnings of AO, W and US open for him to pass Federer. 

15 RL doesn t make him an over all better player... 

1 minute ago, divica said:

That isn t accurate. At most it is the h2h on finals because I am sure that fed won 1 AO and 2 W against Nadal. And I am not sure if he didn t defeat Nadal more times on the AO... 

And don't forget that 5 or 7 of those defeats are on RL (5 finals +2 semi-finals)... 

Yes, the two Wimbledon victories are pre-2008. And the one Aus open victory was in 2017. Seems like those are Roger’s only major wins against Nadal, according to wikipedia.

27 minutes ago, divica said:

But then we have to argue that most of the matches between Nadal and fed (outside clay) are post 2008... 

I can t really compare the best Nadal VS the best Federer because it is clear that the best Nadal happened after the best Federer... On the other hand the best Novak to me is better than the best Nadal because they happened at the same time... 

And I can t ever say that a player with 4 or 5 slams outside of clay is better than a player with 19 slams on the other 3 tournaments.... 

Honestly, besides saying that Nadal is twice as good as any other player on clay is difficult to compare him to Novak or Federer because his rsults are just too different from them... 

Again, I am a huge Nadal homer, so I am biased, but this is what does it for me i.e. GOAT. When Feds, Novak and Nadal play on grass or hard courts, anyone can win and no outcome is a surprise. On Clay, you largely just hope that Novak and Feds don’t get embarrassed by Nadal. And on top of that I don’t recall Novak or Feds dealing with anything close to the injuries that Nadal suffered, and his style of play requires far more physicality than theirs.  

Federer blowing hot and cold here. It seems to be on his racquet - when he was playing well, he was taking points from Nadal. But it all went pear-shaped very quickly when he was missing in the 2nd set.

Federer has been superior so far, except for a ten minute lull that cost him the second.

Not too surprising that Federer is on top, but I certainly wasn’t expecting him to have won almost all the long rallies.

This match really depends on Federer. When he's on, Nadal can't live with him, but when he's off, Nadal will happily take those points and he's not going to beat himself.

Archived