Tennis Volume 7: Roger That!

Mladen

Was definitely not expecting to see Federer play this well. If he does go through, and if he can play this well again, he might even have a chance against DJokovic.

Just now, Jeor said:

Was definitely not expecting to see Federer play this well. If he does go through, and if he can play this well again, he might even have a chance against DJokovic.

As a Djokovic fan I must admit I was fearing a clash with Nadal as a bit more dangerous. Djokovic can chase Federer around and tire the older man out over a long match.

But then, I wasn’t expecting Federer to dominate Nadal in this fashion today, so anything is possible I guess.

Wow. I didn't think Federer had it in him to play that sort of tennis anymore - amazing.

I hope he brings it when he plays Djokovic - that will be a titanic contest if he does.

4 hours ago, Jeor said:

This match really depends on Federer. When he's on, Nadal can't live with him, but when he's off, Nadal will happily take those points and he's not going to beat himself.

That is always how it is though. When Federer is on form and playing to his best on a non-clay surface, even at age 37 he has Nadal's number. 

The last couple of years he has beaten him again and again. There just came a phase where he was able to remove that mental block that always seemed to come upon him and strangle him when he plyed Rafa, and since then their matches have become even better,

3 hours ago, David Selig said:

Just amazing tennis from Federer. What he's doing at this age is unreal. The backhand was so stable today.

Yeah he was really excellent. This is the Federer I love watching on grass, or everywhere. There is just no one else even remotely like him.

Nadal is a truly incredible tennis player and you just know that as awesome as Federer is, it can go wrong at any point, a few points make all the difference. To have Federer's attractive style and then also win the game, that to me is the marvel. Federer is the last holdover from the era in which serve and volley and a really forward style if play were the thing.

• 1 month later...

Just saw Federer at Cincinatti. Its his only warm-up tournament before the US Open and the first time he's played since Wimbledon.

First round he played against a total nobody but now he played against 21 year old Rublev, who had an excellent match and completely outplayed and utpaced Federer from start to finish. Federer in his turn looked flat and even unmotivated, not an ounce of emotion, very strange to *such* a lacklustre game from him,

• 2 weeks later...

Open is up and cracking. I'm really mad at myself because I just got back from NYC and I totally could have gone to some of it's events. 

Also, I'm not sure if anyone's interested, but ESPN recently did a deep dive on the events of last year's Open. NPR has a short podcast covering it. And speaking of Serena, I really fear she's going to lose in the first round tonight. 

1 hour ago, Tywin et al. said:

And speaking of Serena, I really fear she's going to lose in the first round tonight. 

Don't think you need to be worried!

Archived