Small things you hate

Fragile Bird

People who click at me to get my attention as I am passing their table. Or who shout at me to get my attention as I am tottering across the restaurant having just cleared a table and trying to balance a stack of dishes. Or knocking on the bar to get my attention. So fucking rude!

On the opposite side of things, I love when customers take a couple of seconds to read your name tag and address you by name throughout service :wub: 

11 minutes ago, HelenaExMachina said:

People who click at me to get my attention as I am passing their table. Or who shout at me to get my attention as I am tottering across the restaurant having just cleared a table and trying to balance a stack of dishes. Or knocking on the bar to get my attention. So fucking rude!

On the opposite side of things, I love when customers take a couple of seconds to read your name tag and address you by name throughout service :wub: 

What's the right way to do it then? Because I usually try to make eye contact, but that often fails. Not that long ago the waitress forgot the cheese I needed for my fajitas and it took like 15 minutes to get her attention. My fajitas became pretty cool. :bawl:

23 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

What's the right way to do it then? Because I usually try to make eye contact, but that often fails. Not that long ago the waitress forgot the cheese I needed for my fajitas and it took like 15 minutes to get her attention. My fajitas became pretty cool. :bawl:

“Excuse me, miss.”

do not click at me like I am some kind of animal. Or holler at me when I am quite clearly unable to respond to your request anyway

2 hours ago, HelenaExMachina said:

I worked in hospitality for 20 years, its so damn rude. Sometimes I channeled Basil Fawlty, " One MOMENT..... please " . Many times I wanted to say " Well , get on with your meals " .  

12 hours ago, HelenaExMachina said:

Most waiters and waitresses here do not wear name tags - actually I don't remember any place they do. Is that common in England?

19 hours ago, HelenaExMachina said:

Click at you?!? Are they mantis people? Are they using their tongues to do this? Smartphones?

I usually raise my hand. It usually works. Shouting and banging sound ridiculous, but I prefer to be mute. 

3 hours ago, Martell Spy said:

Click at you?!? Are they mantis people? Are they using their tongues to do this? Smartphones?

I usually raise my hand. It usually works. Shouting and banging sound ridiculous, but I prefer to be mute. 

Clicking their fingers at me I mean. It’s depressingly common.

@Buckwheat it depends, but a lot of places the staff do tend to wear name tags, especially large franchises

When I do Text to Speech for Chinese text, and it starts reading as Japanese. 

Or when I do Text to Speech for English text, and it starts reading as German. Actually, this is kind of funny to hear. And also happens much less often.

For both scenarios, I understand if it was only one or two words, but with an entire paragraph, I think it should be obvious.

On 3/12/2018 at 8:06 PM, Buckwheat said:

Mondays. <_< And Tuesdays, too.

So far Wednesday isn't shaping up supremely well either.

7 hours ago, Yukle said:

So far Wednesday isn't shaping up supremely well either.

True, it isn't. But in my present situation, any day is better than a Monday or a Tuesday because I have the shittiest hours of work on these two days. I need to get up at 5 just to commute more than hour in one direction ... for 1,5 hours of work. And then I work another 3 hours between 4 and 7 PM at a different, slightly more sensible location. It all makes me unable to do anything else at home on these days.

4 hours ago, Buckwheat said:

True, it isn't. But in my present situation, any day is better than a Monday or a Tuesday because I have the shittiest hours of work on these two days. I need to get up at 5 just to commute more than hour in one direction ... for 1,5 hours of work. And then I work another 3 hours between 4 and 7 PM at a different, slightly more sensible location. It all makes me unable to do anything else at home on these days.

Oh... poor thing. :( I hope you get much better conditions.

I hate it when a radio station decides to play INXS's "Need You Tonight" but then they don't let it flow into "Mediate."   Hell, the drumbeat starts in Need You Tonight, but then cuts off.  When that song was gigantic on MTV back in 1987, the two songs were inseparable.  Now? Stupid radio programmers who don't get it!  Drives me nuts and I'm not sure why I should even be upset since I could bring the album up on my phone and just play it the way I want to hear it.  Still.

Second example: When Pure Prairie League's classic "Amie" comes on without playing the associated intro song "Falling In and Out of Love."  Back in the old days, it was a given that radio would pair them up, since they are basically two parts of the same composition.

Third: The Guess Who's "American Woman" gets played without the bluesy acoustic intro where they spell out American (Say A.... Say M...) That part makes the whole punchy electric riff all the better.

Why am I bothered by this? I don't know, but the loathing that fills me is palpable when this kind of thing happens.

Archived