Casablanca Birdie

Small things you hate

Coughing without covering your mouth! What's up with that? I guess it doesn't make much difference in the end, but I still hate it.

2 hours ago, wherearethou said:

Coughing without covering your mouth! What's up with that? I guess it doesn't make much difference in the end, but I still hate it.

Just yesterday I was sitting in the public library and there was this man who kept sneezing into the book he was reading without even trying to cover his mouth. I have no idea what book it was, but I sure hope I won't have to use it at some point.

Small things of hate would be forgetting to watch Game of Thrones, this happens often and instead it is just models and gaming side of this A Song of Ice and Fire saga branch.

People who click at me to get my attention as I am passing their table. Or who shout at me to get my attention as I am tottering across the restaurant having just cleared a table and trying to balance a stack of dishes. Or knocking on the bar to get my attention. So fucking rude!

On the opposite side of things, I love when customers take a couple of seconds to read your name tag and address you by name throughout service :wub: 

11 minutes ago, HelenaExMachina said:

People who click at me to get my attention as I am passing their table. Or who shout at me to get my attention as I am tottering across the restaurant having just cleared a table and trying to balance a stack of dishes. Or knocking on the bar to get my attention. So fucking rude!

On the opposite side of things, I love when customers take a couple of seconds to read your name tag and address you by name throughout service :wub: 

What's the right way to do it then? Because I usually try to make eye contact, but that often fails. Not that long ago the waitress forgot the cheese I needed for my fajitas and it took like 15 minutes to get her attention. My fajitas became pretty cool. :bawl:

23 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

What's the right way to do it then? Because I usually try to make eye contact, but that often fails. Not that long ago the waitress forgot the cheese I needed for my fajitas and it took like 15 minutes to get her attention. My fajitas became pretty cool. :bawl:

“Excuse me, miss.”

do not click at me like I am some kind of animal. Or holler at me when I am quite clearly unable to respond to your request anyway

2 hours ago, HelenaExMachina said:

I worked in hospitality for 20 years, its so damn rude. Sometimes I channeled Basil Fawlty, " One MOMENT..... please " . Many times I wanted to say " Well , get on with your meals " .  

12 hours ago, HelenaExMachina said:

Most waiters and waitresses here do not wear name tags - actually I don't remember any place they do. Is that common in England?

Posted (edited)
19 hours ago, HelenaExMachina said:

Click at you?!? Are they mantis people? Are they using their tongues to do this? Smartphones?

I usually raise my hand. It usually works. Shouting and banging sound ridiculous, but I prefer to be mute. 

Edited by Martell Spy

Theres a neighborhood diner that destroys their otherwise fine omelettes by putting nasty fake cheese slices on them. I fell for this twice, there will not be a third visit to partake in the gruel they are passing on.:angry2:

3 hours ago, Martell Spy said:

Click at you?!? Are they mantis people? Are they using their tongues to do this? Smartphones?

I usually raise my hand. It usually works. Shouting and banging sound ridiculous, but I prefer to be mute. 

Clicking their fingers at me I mean. It’s depressingly common.

@Buckwheat it depends, but a lot of places the staff do tend to wear name tags, especially large franchises

I prefer to call my wait staff by name. Whether or not I do so depends on if they introduce themselves. If they say , "hi I'm 'name' " then I go ahead. If not, I don't bother. 

When I do Text to Speech for Chinese text, and it starts reading as Japanese. 

Or when I do Text to Speech for English text, and it starts reading as German. Actually, this is kind of funny to hear. And also happens much less often.

For both scenarios, I understand if it was only one or two words, but with an entire paragraph, I think it should be obvious.

On 3/12/2018 at 8:06 PM, Buckwheat said:

Mondays. <_< And Tuesdays, too.

So far Wednesday isn't shaping up supremely well either.

7 hours ago, Yukle said:

True, it isn't. But in my present situation, any day is better than a Monday or a Tuesday because I have the shittiest hours of work on these two days. I need to get up at 5 just to commute more than hour in one direction ... for 1,5 hours of work. And then I work another 3 hours between 4 and 7 PM at a different, slightly more sensible location. It all makes me unable to do anything else at home on these days.

4 hours ago, Buckwheat said:

True, it isn't. But in my present situation, any day is better than a Monday or a Tuesday because I have the shittiest hours of work on these two days. I need to get up at 5 just to commute more than hour in one direction ... for 1,5 hours of work. And then I work another 3 hours between 4 and 7 PM at a different, slightly more sensible location. It all makes me unable to do anything else at home on these days.

Oh... poor thing. :( I hope you get much better conditions.

12 hours ago, Yukle said:

Take that :spank:, future woman! 

Men who pee on public toilet seats and don’t clean up might be worse than people who refuse to let people merge on the highway.