Why Does the Political Right And Left Feel the Need to Demonize Each Other ?

GAROVORKIN

Other then animosity ,willful deafness to each other's  points of view  and hardened polarization ,  what does does it contribute to political discussion and dialogue? What if anything does it create other then problems for everybody ?  And why do you suppose so many on the right and left are so unwilling to engage in any kind of meaningful  self criticism of themselves ?  What do you think, has brought us to this current state of affairs? 

Thoughts? :(

Divide-and-rule is one of the most primitive strategies those in power use to stay in power which is why you see it all over the world. It is much, much easier to manipulate multiple groups which hate each other than it is to do so to a single united group. The demonization you perceive is not an accident: such hatred needs to be carefully nurtured and propagated across generations.

40 minutes ago, Altherion said:

Divide-and-rule is one of the most primitive strategies those in power use to stay in power which is why you see it all over the world. It is much, much easier to manipulate multiple groups which hate each other than it is to do so to a single united group. The demonization you perceive is not an accident: such hatred needs to be carefully nurtured and propagated across generations.

That would apply to divisions within the Left, but not the animosity of Left vs Right - what do you think the Right actually is?

At this point in time, mostly a US context, there is the wee problem that a large section of the right is blind to facts and science. An issue exported (by way of the alt-right internet thing) to other countries.

Add to that that in an international context the US main parties are Right and Extreme Right, without representation of the left, and polarization happens.

Because deep down, politics is not about solving technical issues but about what kind of society you want to live in.
Which means political projects are based on moral values. By definition, humans have a tendency to demonize those who do not share their moral values.

3 hours ago, Altherion said:

Used by political opportunists and tyrants throughout history.

Because the right* are literal demons wearing human flesh, and they have to resort to playing on tribal allegiances to compete against left ideas like "if people are sick we should help them" and "hurting people just because they're different is bad"?

(* the leadership, not everyone taken in by them)

2 hours ago, Roose Boltons Pet Leech said:

That would apply to divisions within the Left, but not the animosity of Left vs Right - what do you think the Right actually is?

It applies to both internal divisions within the large groups and to the large groups themselves (which are simply divisions of the entire society).

I'll speak in a US context because that is what I know best.

Now why should I consider the Republican Party's point of view? Well I have and you know what I've discovered? It's mainly a pile of horseshit. Why should I go out of my way to be civil to people that keep spewing horseshit?

Archived