Academy Awards 2018: Oscar Night

Mladen

10 hours ago, Risto said:

Well, as much as some of you hate Forrest Gump, Titanic, Braveheart, etc. in comparison to the latest Academy's blunders, they are at least memorable. I simply can't understand so many uninspiring choices in the past decade. 

The change to 10 movies, and subsequent change in the voting system, made it harder for more divisive films to win; also, the Academy seemed in the first half of the decade completely in love with itself and any movie about cinema won handily; that is, until La La Land, which was ironically the best of them, but had the bad luck to be released after Trump was elected and the voters decided they wanted something with more substance.

Also, generally speaking, there's a tendency that if you have an unpopular president in office, darker films usually win- see the Nixon administration getting Midnight Cowboy, Patton, The French Connection and The Godfather in sequence, and the Ford one having Godfather part II and One Flew Over Cuckoo's Nest. Or Bush after he got very unpopular having MDB, Crash, The Departed and No Country For Old Men winning.

And when a seemingly promising (Democrat) takes over, you have more hopeful movies winning- Rocky and Slumdog Millionaire.

1 hour ago, Cas Stark said:

Another possible reason for the declining audience is that the nature of celebrity has really changed the last decade.  Celebrities are more accessible than ever, they tweet, they selfie, they instagram...so a TV show of celebs behaving formally is actually less engaging than what is available on everyone's phone all the time.  It used to be a rare thing, and having all the celebs there at one event was a big deal.  Social media combined with eleventy billion awards show makes it not very special anymore.

Good point.

4 minutes ago, Cas Stark said:

Scots won the battle of bannockburn, Edward I was kind of an asshole, Edward II was probably gay.

William Wallace was, indeed, executed. And it was Stirling Bridge, minus the bridge, that the movie showed.

And Edward did win at Falkirk.

So yeah, the big things were accurate, but Gibson is Catholic and the devil is in the details. :P

8 minutes ago, Corvinus said:

William Wallace was, indeed, executed. And it was Stirling Bridge, minus the bridge, that the movie showed.

So yeah, the big things were accurate, but Gibson is Catholic and the devil is in the details. :P

It was veeerrrrry Hollywood.  But, I'm okay with that.  No one had ever heard of William Wallace until Braveheart.  The worst thing about that movie was Gibson's atrocious hair extensions? wig? whatever that was.

3 hours ago, Corvinus said:

Eh, I'd say there are quite a few big things that are completely inaccurate... like William Wallace being a peasant rather than a nobleman, the First Night existing, Edward Longshanks murdering his son's lover, or Isabella of France boinking William Walace and Edward III being his son... when in reality Isabella was 10 years old and still in France when Wallace died, her first son - future Edward III was born 7 years later, and Edward II had 4 children in total with Isabella, plus an illegitimate son born before that marriage. (Yes, Mel, believe it or not, men who have male lovers may be also capable of having sex with women and fathering children!)

What's worse is how it all add up to one big cliche-ridden, offensive pile of garbage. Gay men are effeminate and weak stereotypes? The English are all either one-dimensionally evil murdering rapists, or effeminate, weak gay stereotypes? Scots and the Irish are lovable ethnic stereotypes? Women get murdered and/or raped to spur men into action? Either that, or they exist to confirm the hero's heroic masculinity by sleeping with him and giving birth to his son, and thereby sticking it to the evil English father-in-law. (Puh-lease!) 

BTW, speaking of inaccuracies/anachronisms, while it's a very minor thing in the overall picture, I got a good chuckle out of scenes of Isabella speaking to her maid in French so the king and other courtiers wouldn't understand them. Yeah... that wouldn't have worked so well. :rofl: That kind of thing is pretty common in movies set in the English court at that time period, I think Robin Hood (Ridley Scott's version) also had something similar with King John's wife.

9 minutes ago, Annara Snow said:

BTW, speaking of inaccuracies/anachronisms, while it's a very minor thing in the overall picture, I got a good chuckle out of scenes of Isabella speaking to her maid in French so the king and other courtiers wouldn't understand them. Yeah... that wouldn't have worked so well. :rofl: That kind of thing is pretty common in movies set in the English court at that time period, I think Robin Hood (Ridley Scott's version) also had something similar with King John's wife.

Oh my God! I never noticed that one(probably since I haven't watched the film in ages because of various already listed reasons).

2 hours ago, Darth Richard II said:

And believe me, my Scottish friends knew about Wallace pre braveheart. :P

While Wallace was well known in Scotland, I'd probably have said Robert the Bruce had a higher profile pre-Braveheart, which does make some sense given that he actually managed to make his victory last, even if he did owe something to Wallace's legacy.

26 minutes ago, Annara Snow said:

Eh, I'd say there are quite a few big things that are completely inaccurate... like William Wallace being a peasant rather than a nobleman, the First Night existing, Edward Longshanks murdering his son's lover, or Isabella of France boinking William Walace and Edward III being his son... when in reality Isabella was 10 years old and still in France when Wallace died, her first son - future Edward III was born 7 years later, and Edward II had 4 children in total with Isabella, plus an illegitimate son born before that marriage. (Yes, Mel, believe it or not, men who have male lovers may be also capable of having sex with women and fathering children!)

I think the way the Scots all paint their faces blue like the Picts may have done centuries earlier is probably my favourite inaccuracy.

I also feel a bit sorry for Andrew Murray who was the joint commander of the Scots at Stirling Bridge alongside Wallace but got completely written out of Braveheart.

1 hour ago, Darth Richard II said:

Oh my God! I never noticed that one(probably since I haven't watched the film in ages because of various already listed reasons).

Can't say I did either - though to be fair I was 12 or 13 when I originally saw the movie. 

And that's another knock for Ridley Scott's awful Robin Hood. 

On 3/13/2018 at 8:15 PM, Annara Snow said:

Yeah, all the Plantagenets would have been well versed in French, wouldn't they (despite Shakespeare's joke at the end of "Henry V")?

48 minutes ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

Yeah, all the Plantagenets would have been well versed in French, wouldn't they (despite Shakespeare's joke at the end of "Henry V")?

All the English royalty since the Norman Conquest spoke French as their mother tongue until probably Henry IV, and even after that French was still the formal language of the state during most of the 15th century.

7 hours ago, Annara Snow said:

All the English royalty since the Norman Conquest spoke French as their mother tongue until probably Henry IV, and even after that French was still the formal language of the state during most of the 15th century.

Also true of much of the Scottish nobility at the time, lots of families originating in France such as the Bruces and Stewarts. Wallace must have been fluent in French as well, although he wasn't from a Norman family.

Archived