Academy Awards 2018: Oscar Night

Mladen

I watched the opening monologue of Kimmels and was afraid he might break his arm patting himself on the back for the Academy.  Really didn’t bother watching the rest.

I totally forgot about the awards until about 10 o'clock. I saw Shape of Water recently. Good movie, but Oscar worthy, not sure. But then again, I really couldn't be bothered much with this year's nominees. I'm glad for Del Toro and Oldman, still hoping Nolan gets one, happy Blade Runner got a few.

12 minutes ago, Corvinus said:

I totally forgot about the awards until about 10 o'clock. I saw Shape of Water recently. Good movie, but Oscar worthy, not sure. But then again, I really couldn't be bothered much with this year's nominees. I'm glad for Del Toro and Oldman, still hoping Nolan gets one, happy Blade Runner got a few.

Got 2. There were 9 best picture nominees this time, 2 of them got zero Oscars, so the 10th empty slot for best picture Oscar should of had Blade Runner 2049 in it (I don't think it would have won, but should have been there).

8 minutes ago, boojam said:

Got 2. There were 9 best picture nominees this time, 2 of them got zero Oscars, so the 10th empty slot for best picture Oscar should of had Blade Runner 2049 in it (I don't think it would have won, but should have been there).

I don't think BR would have won it, with this crowd, but I would have been happy if had been nominated.

7 minutes ago, Zorral said:

What a year!  Both Winston and his heroic genius of Dunkirk up for Oscars.  How many Winstons and Dunkirks etc. have been made over the last going on 70 years?  

I am still torn between Litgow and Oldman...

I am truly glad that Oldman won. It was perhaps a bit uninspiring choice (after all, British biopics have Oscar written all over them) but he was indeed absolutely amazing.

As for other moments. I knew it was going to be heavy on the #MeToo campaign, but at some point, enough is enough. When Natalie Portman called out 5 male directors at the Golden Globes, it was childish and totally uncalled for. But when Stone did the same last night, singling out Gerwig, it was plainly idiotic and yes, mean-spirited. 

The way Frances McDormand celebrated her Oscar was something for the ages. Now, that is how you send the message (looking at you, Stone).

I enjoyed the music. It was such a great lineup of songs. My favorite was "This is me" from The Greatest Showman but  each performance was truly powerful.

As for the big winner - The Shape of Water. I simply don't get it. Not my cup of tea... And I wholeheartedly believe Nolan should have won this one. Dunkirk was a masterpiece that demonstrated the full power of Nolan's talent and it did deserve recognition.

6 hours ago, Rhom said:

I watched the opening monologue of Kimmels and was afraid he might break his arm patting himself on the back for the Academy.  Really didn’t bother watching the rest.

I did the opposite.   So between us we got full coverage of the event.   Sure, some speeches seemed in danger of going wrong so I changed the channel, but Oldman's , Janney's, and McDormont's were nice, and Del Toro's first one struck a tone I liked when he mentioned being an immigrant without coming off as a complete a- hole about it.    If these hollywood affairs and latenight hosts could relearn such manners it'd help the country.   Whereas the thing about black moviemakers being "here and we're not going away" sounded a bit, you know, aggressive like they plan on fighting execs on the studio back lot or something, when really black flavoring seems quite pervasive throughout music and movies, so instead of intimidating Oscar into awarding you just make a really good movie and that'll solve itself.   Haddish and Ms. SNL were funny calming white america but the loudest laughs of the night went to Jodie Foster finally going public about Streep's dark side.   JenniferLawrence looked like an actual god.    Kimmel giggled me a couple times and i never once saw him cry, so i assume that happened during the opening.

1 hour ago, The Mother of The Others said:

Whereas the thing about black moviemakers being "here and we're not going away" sounded a bit, you know, aggressive like they plan on fighting execs on the studio back lot or something, when really black flavoring seems quite pervasive throughout music and movies, so instead of intimidating Oscar into awarding you just make a really good movie and that'll solve itself.   

This is the most sound argument regarding that particular issue I have read. You share something with Whopi Goldberg. She said that Oscars are the symptom, the consequence, but that the battle should be fought all year long. From the moment when the movie starts making to the moment they are released and ultimately awarded. Simply, it is the studios' problem, not the Academy's. 

But, then again, saying those kind of things can make you racist. Just look at the poor Charlotte Rampling.

11 hours ago, Nictarion said:

I would agree with that. I was mostly joking cause I love True Romance so much. 

Hmmmm... I've never actually seen Leon (partially because I know how it ends due to its age) but I'm hard pressed to think of a better role by Oldman than Drexl Spivey, as short as it is. He just doesn't look or sound like Oldman and the character is mesmerizing -- even more than Walken in his scene.

13 hours ago, The Mother of The Others said:

I did the opposite.   So between us we got full coverage of the event.   Sure, some speeches seemed in danger of going wrong so I changed the channel, but Oldman's , Janney's, and McDormont's were nice, and Del Toro's first one struck a tone I liked when he mentioned being an immigrant without coming off as a complete a- hole about it.    If these hollywood affairs and latenight hosts could relearn such manners it'd help the country.   Whereas the thing about black moviemakers being "here and we're not going away" sounded a bit, you know, aggressive like they plan on fighting execs on the studio back lot or something, when really black flavoring seems quite pervasive throughout music and movies, so instead of intimidating Oscar into awarding you just make a really good movie and that'll solve itself.   Haddish and Ms. SNL were funny calming white america but the loudest laughs of the night went to Jodie Foster finally going public about Streep's dark side.   JenniferLawrence looked like an actual god.    Kimmel giggled me a couple times and i never once saw him cry, so i assume that happened during the opening.

Heaven forfend that black people sound a bit “aggressive” in making their point. Protest is always fine so long as it follows the nice, quiet tightly restricted mores of what the majority find palatable. :rolleyes: 

Lol at the people who think there's a right and wrong way to speak out against the horrors experienced by women in Hollywood. Women are tired. Women are tired of being harassased and assaulted and when they stay silent they're told "why didn't they speak up/why didn't they speak up sooner?" And when they do speak up they get told "this is not how you should speak up. speak this way or that way."

Anyhoo, was rooting for Dunkirk and Nolan. Sad Nolan didn't get it. But McDormand's speech cheered me up well enough. Wasn't particularly invested this year since I watched literally two nominated movies.

Is it just me, or was this year lacking a truly great movie? There were a lot of really good movies, but nothing that seemed to separate itself from the pack. I honestly think 10 different movies could have won Best Picture. Personally I would have given it to Get Out because of its uniqueness, but I guess a movie about a mute woman hooking up with a fishman is unique too.

12 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

Is it just me, or was this year lacking a truly great movie? There were a lot of really good movies, but nothing that seemed to separate itself from the pack. I honestly think 10 different movies could have won Best Picture. Personally I would have given it to Get Out because of its uniqueness, but I guess a movie about a mute woman hooking up with a fishman is unique too.

Not really...

http://time.com/5170613/shape-of-water-plagiarism-controversy/

Archived