Rubies/ Stannis, Mance, Mellisandre and Rheagar.

House Beaudreau

This topic has been brought up many times before but it always seems to get side tracked. I don't want to talk about glamours and if Rheagar is really dead or not. or if someone else was wearing his armor or not. 

The Ruby and its connection to various magics throughout the story are well documented, The most fascinating thing about these rubies for me is not there ability to glamour something because that seems like nothing more than a trick. I want to talk about the factor of control the is being exerted by or over the wearer. This mode of control is spoken about in the Melisandre chapter and how Mance feels the Ruby pulsing etc. and Melandre know she has power over him. This Chapter made me think of all the Rubies we have seen throughout most notably Stannis's ruby in his Sword, Mel's necklace, Rheagar's Armor and if these characters were/are being controlled by someone else.

I think it is very likely that stannis is under some sort of control/spell by Melisandre

Is anyone controlling Melisandre through her Ruby? possibly some other red priest? 

Could anyone have been controlling Rheagar on the Trident? making him lose to Robert? Making him win the Tournament at Harrenhal? as far as I know, Thoros was the only red priest in Kings landing during Targaryen's rule. 

Even in the wolfswood, you never found more than two or three of the white trees growing together; a grove of nine was unheard of. The forest floor was carpeted with fallen leaves, bloodred on top, black rot beneath. The wide smooth trunks were bone pale, and nine faces stared inward. The dried sap that crusted in the eyes was red and hard as ruby.

I think rubies are dried and hardened Weirwood sap, and the people who carry rubies are (unwitting) agents of the Weirwood.

I don't think Mel is being controlled I think she is using it for the glamour purpose.

Mance seems to have taken the Ruby off in Winterfell so I'm not sure he can be getting controlled by it.  I was under the impression Mance felt controlled because Jon had his son, and because he has honor and Mel did in fact save his life.

My impression with Stannis is thar that the ruby is only used to make Lightbringer glow but does not have any affect on Stannis himself.

I believe Rhaegar died on the trident because Robert fought better and it is that simple, but I could be wrong.

Archived