NBA 2018 - Soup's on!

Jaime L

Kind of a boring first round.  I could see Utah giving the Thunder a run for its money but not enough to really scare them.  I agree with your list almost to the game, though I think both the Caves and Rockets sweep.

21 hours ago, SkynJay said:

KAT is great.  I don't want to make this an anti-KAT rant because if I was to pick the third best center I would listen to arguments for KAT and Jokic and be willing to entertain them.  But with these stats you ignore two things; assists and the fact that Jokic is the teams damn point guard.  The offense goes through him every play and the team tanks when he leaves the floor; he is the Nuggets right now and that is impossible to quantify.

KAT is a good passer, he's just not asked to do much of it because he's so skilled that when they get him the ball is for him to score. I'm sure he could do similar things as Jokic passing wise if he was asked to. If you factor that in, Towns is better everywhere else. He almost made the 50/40/90 club this year. That's insane for a 7 footer. He's also got all the leadership intangibles one could ask for. Don't forget, he was the leader of the Kentucky team that went 38-1, and they might have gone 40-0 if they unleashed him more. There are really only two knocks on KAT at this point, and they're largely fixable. He needs to defend better in the paint. He's a great shot blocker, and feasts on guards and wings, but he still struggles against other elite bigs. Not always, but sometimes. The other knock is that he picks up way too many cheap fouls. There's a reason why, when looking at his splits, he's usually better in the second half, and that's because he picked up 2-3 early fouls. Also, I guess he looks really funny when he's jogging up the court (mind you not when he's actually running). He moves like a fat kid. All in all, KAT is the superior talent, both now and going forward. That doesn't mean Jokic isn't worth consideration for top 5 at the position, but his ceiling probably isn't much higher than what you're already getting (his PPG can probably get close to 25 at some point),  while KAT's ceiling is best player in the league. He can be Shaq who shoots 40% from three and 85% at the line. That's scary.  

EAST

Toronto in 5

Milwaukee in 5 or 6

Heat in 7 (if Embiid misses more than one game, otherwise Philly in 6)

Cleveland in 5

WEST

Houston in 6 (don't forget, the Wolves were the 5th best team in the NBA before Butler went down) though I'm really hoping we get playoff  Harden, and if Wiggins can stop sucking, we might actually have a chance at upsetting them

Warriors in 5

Portland in 6 (probably the funnest match up after Houston-Minny)

OKC in 7 

2 hours ago, Tywin et al. said:

Don't forget, he was the leader of the Kentucky team that went 38-1, and they might have gone 40-0 if they unleashed him more.

:crying: 

1 hour ago, sperry said:

Also, why is Kawhi just literally quitting on his team not one of the bigger stories in recent NBA memory? Just went from one of the most likable players in the league to bottom of the barrel worst.

Because ESPN and other ridiculous sports media tried shoving the irrelevant LaVar Ball storylines down our throats most of the year.  

On 13-4-2018 at 7:13 AM, KingintheNorth4 said:

Raptors in 6

Cavs in 5

Sixers in 6

Celtics in 5

Rockets in 4

Thunder in 6

Blazers in 5

Warriors in 5

Raptors are massive betting favorites to beat the Wizards, I think they will struggle more than expected and like you could see 6 games.

However I think Milwaukee has to be beating this Boston team. Boston won't make it.

I think the Sixers will win but it will be tighter than what I see expected on ESPN experts panel.

I think the Rockets will lose at least 1 game to the T-Wolves.

Thunder vs Jazz will be really close, the Jazz have become very good. I'd still say OKC because you can't believe they would let that happen.

I'm also not super sold on Portland beating NO, it could be close. Still, it shouldn't be that close without Cousins, and yet NO has been on a great run.

Well the Raps finally got the game 1 monkey off their back.  I don't think this will be a long series as the jitters were pretty obviously still there today for at least the first half but they dominated the fourth.  Except for Anunoby and Delon who played well all game.

Similarly I'm quite sure Philly is going to sweep Miami.  Simmons, Reddick, Bellinelli, Ilyasovic, Saric looks so hard to guard.

Side note:  I'm not much of a Drake fan but I did like that he wore a Humboldt Broncos jersey at the game today.

15 hours ago, sperry said:

Brett Brown not exactly inspiring confidence in his playoff debut.

12 hours ago, TheKitttenGuard said:

The first half was a little rough at times.

No problem with the second half.

Yeah, I know.  I'm just curious as to what he saw in the 1st half that made him believe Brown conveyed uncertainty.  Perhaps when Miami hit one of their too many open corner 3's.  That usually pisses Brown off because he's stated in the past that SA never liked giving that shot up since that analytic boys rank it the 3rd most accurate shot--dunk, and layup are ahead of it--in the NBA.

Archived