NBA 2018 - Soup's on!

Jaime L

24 minutes ago, Slurktan said:

Compensating much?

Oh don't worry about me.  I don't live with insecurities.  Proving bullshitters and hypocrites wrong, I live for that.  Everyone is a tough guy on fan forums and lives for tabloid drama.  It's one thing to preach to a choir.  Quite another to come out and speak man-to-man.

And you're also dead wrong about the Raptors winning.  

17 hours ago, Sour Billy Tipton said:

lol, that's messed up.  You backtracked for that last one.

yup, gots to hold the mob accountable. 

Also, we don't use the word "ebonics" anymore. 

On 4/28/2018 at 6:57 PM, Sour Billy Tipton said:

"We got nothing to lose. Everybody has been writing us off anyway," Brown said before Boston's morning shootaround. "We got our backs on the wall, it's at home, we're going to come out and bust through that wall, if that what it takes.

Ebonics + Sports Clichés=Take the points

How is that "Ebonics"? This is a standard vocal feature that is frequently found in a number of Anglo-American dialects. I would not bat an eyelash if this came from a white person in the Appalachian South, for example. We even see a dropping of the "have" in Bob Dylan's "Like a Rolling Stone": "When you ain't got nothing, you got nothing to lose." 

5 hours ago, Sour Billy Tipton said:

Oh don't worry about me.  I don't live with insecurities.  Proving bullshitters and hypocrites wrong, I live for that.  Everyone is a tough guy on fan forums and lives for tabloid drama.  It's one thing to preach to a choir.  Quite another to come out and speak man-to-man.

And you're also dead wrong about the Raptors winning.  

What the fuck are you talking about? And why are you bringing "liberals" into this? Why is it that every time someone tells a white person they are being insensitive you folks invoke the same exact reply? "Damn libruls holding us down, blah blah blah". Shut the fuck up. Debate the actual issue and leave your Brietbart garbage out of it. 

Ebonics was a vaguely (some might say overtly) offensive term, and it's just not used by anyone but old out of touch white guys.

As for "asking your black friends" wtf man? How old and white ARE you?

edit - in case you're wondering I would have zero issues telling you that in person. Something tells me you're a tough hang tho.  

9 hours ago, Sour Billy Tipton said:

Ebonics
  1. American black English regarded as a language in its own right rather than as a dialect of standard English.

There are no comments I made that questioned Brown's intelligence, you lie and put words in my mouth to win a ridiculous argument.

Lol you're the one in favor of safe spaces not me.  You're far leftist point of view is ridiculous and your claims of me being racist are egregious.  You're always trying to make a mountain out of a molehill.

I'm not going to argue on this forum.  That's what you want.  If this truly matters to you, be a man and send me a private message.  I'll give you my phone number.  Tomorrow I can send you the comments of my black friends regarding the comments I made.  And you can show me how your black friends feel about it.  Put up or shut up time.

Holy crap dude.

Dictionary definitions, disingenuously denying you meant to insult his intelligence, "I'm not going to argue" in the second post of an argument, "my black friends" and a goddamn offer to meet up in person? That's an impressive amount of stupid Internet arguments to pack into one post. I legitimately feel bad for you.

Thanks for doing more than I ever could to justify my initial argument. You did have one fair point earlier, in that it was wrong and unfair of me to cast this as a Philadelphia thing. So I apologize to Philadelphia for the blanket judgment. I know I dislike having my own city judged that way. Full credit where it's due. All the crap in your posts belongs to you and only you.

So many of you are fortunate to be devoid of Monday morning responsibilities.  The social justice police force on an ASOIAF forum is a part time job lol.  I'm far too busy to respond right now.  Or have an appropriate response to all of you before noon.  DanteGabriel, I'm assuming you won't want to discuss this personally?  You just want to feel empowered by a few people on a forum instead of having an adult dialogue?  My offer still stands.

On 4/28/2018 at 3:11 AM, Relic said:

So the exact opposite. Well done.

PG was 2 for 16 and was outscored by Melo in this game. they combined for 12 total points. That's.....just....awful. 

On 4/29/2018 at 2:49 AM, Relic said:

loooool, you're on a roll man. 

@Pony Empress Jace

Sic 'em! 

3 hours ago, DanteGabriel said:

I assume your definition of adult dialogue involves huffing spray paint and seeing who can piss further off the dead end your life has come to. 

This coming from a man who idolizes a Hunter S. Thompson, a notorious junkie.  Also that definition of dialogue never included the concept of conversation.  

I offered you a challenge to prove yourself and you denied it.  Keep dissecting non-white race comments by white people, and spinning it your leftist choir.  Since you’re too chickenshit to reach out personally, leave me out of your ridiculous social policing. 

I can only assume that you’re of the school of thought that all white people should be apologists for prior generations of racism in America.  
You and your friends can delude yourselves into thinking that you’re all so progressive and are constantly perceived as the magnanimous white beacons of equality.    You’re only creating a sense of entitlement for yourselves and a significant portion of black people.  You feel as if whites should be indebted to them and you have the capital to provide it to the needy.  That thought process sickens me.  

You don’t practice equality.  You’re too afraid to contact me because your personal social circle is segregated from black people.  

I actually have these same discussions with black friends.  Humor is always welcomed.  We don’t censor ourselves.  We actually have conversations that empower the human race and if more people took are examples, society would progress past bigotry.  

3 hours ago, DanteGabriel said:

the dead end your life has come to. I'm done with this, you sad little lost boy.

Less than one hour ago I was just offered a part-time summer job in Camden, New Jersey.  Hopefully my schedule will allow me to take it.

https://www.lucyoutreach.org

7 hours ago, Relic said:

What the fuck are you talking about? .... Shut the fuck up.

Do not disrespect me.  I'm not using obscenities against you.  You have no reason to use them against me.  

How old and white am I?  That question is completely racist.  You would be using more obscenities on me if I asked someone on this forum how old and black they were.  And rightfully so.

10 hours ago, Matrim Fox Cauthon said:

How is that "Ebonics"? This is a standard vocal feature that is frequently found in a number of Anglo-American dialects. I would not bat an eyelash if this came from a white person in the Appalachian South, for example. 

Well I applaud you.  You can actually ask a question and promote a respectful conversation without using obscenities or disrespecting the other party because they go against your beliefs.  

I'm not going to act as if I've taken a class on ebonics.  However, I've almost always heard rhetoric like Brown's quote with some black people and a few white people trying to act black.  Like Ali G.  Speaking of which, I feel as if people on this board would find Andy Rooney and/or Ali G offensive.  Humor was the goal in this interview, and it was definitely accomplished:

10 hours ago, Matrim Fox Cauthon said:

We even see a dropping of the "have" in Bob Dylan's "Like a Rolling Stone": "When you ain't got nothing, you got nothing to lose." 

I have taken a music appreciation class.  It's a different argument when musical composition is introduced.  

On 4/28/2018 at 3:11 AM, Relic said:

So the exact opposite. Well done.

PG was 2 for 16 and was outscored by Melo in this game. they combined for 12 total points. That's.....just....awful. 

On 4/29/2018 at 2:49 AM, Relic said:

loooool, you're on a roll man. 

You have no idea the pain you've brought upon yourself. Ever see Mad Max? I'm about to build a motherfucking thunderdome.

I just had to read two pages of racist shitmongering that hasn't been banned yet for inexplicable... there are no reasons.

You commin' after Tywin? Now why you goin' do that? Why you got to be harshin on my man like that?

This my day off, man.

I ain't even put on pants yet. I take one hit off my medcin and now I gots to leave the chain?

Who you? WHO THE FUCK ARE YOU, RELIC?

You're hot, you're cold.

My man @Tywin et al. 's fuckin bold!

Sit pretty with no predi

Give no calls

Guess @Relic got no balls

Take a step towards my Pacers

I'mma paste your Centers

Up and down the court

Like a crime

They gonna take me to court

:hat:

Leave Mr. Tywin alone. Nice kid, be a shame if something happened to... there's not really a kid. Just don't release a sketch of my face!

I wasn't particularly impressed with the Raptors in the pieces of Wizards games I saw, but the Cavs looked worse in the first round.  There were long stretches of Game 7 where the Cavs were playing classic "stand around and wait for Lebron to do something" ball.  The Raptors are better than Indiana, and it seems safe to say that Lebron can't really play any better/harder/more than he did against Indiana.  After game 7 he looked completely spent.  So if the Cavaliers are going to improve, it's up to the other guys. 

I know history says it's foolish, but I think the Raptors take this one in seven. 

2 hours ago, Pony Empress Jace said:

You have no idea the pain you've brought upon yourself. Ever see Mad Max? I'm about to build a motherfucking thunderdome.

I just had to read two pages of racist shitmongering that hasn't been banned yet for inexplicable... there are no reasons.

You commin' after Tywin? Now why you goin' do that? Why you got to be harshin on my man like that?

This my day off, man.

I ain't even put on pants yet. I take one hit off my medcin and now I gots to leave the chain?

Who you? WHO THE FUCK ARE YOU, RELIC?

You're hot, you're cold.

My man @Tywin et al. 's fuckin bold!

Sit pretty with no predi

Give no calls

Guess @Relic got no balls

Take a step towards my Pacers

I'mma paste your Centers

Up and down the court

Like a crime

They gonna take me to court

:hat:

Leave Mr. Tywin alone. Nice kid, be a shame if something happened to... there's not really a kid. Just don't release a sketch of my face!

:love:

You do have the best and most beautiful words, Jace! 

2 hours ago, Ramsay B. said:

They always seem to land in the NBA threads for some reason. Weird. Anyways... Lebron is still overrated. :D

It's like there's a pattern or something where one furiously overcompensating bro tries to beat his chest by challenging the manhood of posters who criticize his antiquated racial attitudes.

Note to mods: just replying here to keep it outside the new thread.

2 hours ago, Ramsay B. said:

They always seem to land in the NBA threads for some reason. Weird. Anyways... Lebron is still overrated. :D

Another pattern you might see is coming into a NBA thread and saying something like "Players today are soft. They don't play defense like they did back in Bird's day."

Don’t think I’ve seen the ‘my black friends’ thing used unironically in a looooong time. ‘We have a Jewish lawyer’ was the closest in recent memory, and was rightfully ridiculed for being unaware of it’s self-satire. 

Anyways, two points; the Rockets and Jazz actually played a game, not that anyone would know, and the Raps LBJ thing feels really unpredictable to me. It could honestly go anything from a sweep either way to a 7 game nail biter. On the one hand, much as they deny it, LBJ is absolutely in the Raps’ heads, and if Cleveland takes game 1 I could envision a complete implosion. Also, even though no one has anyone who can actually ‘cover’ Bron, the Raps have fewer quasi-covers than, say, Indy did, ie big/strong/athletic enough to actually stay with him and make him work. Serge used to be kinda that type, but he’s a couple years past it now. The rest of their athletes are way too small, the kind LBJ just eats up.

OTH this Cavs team feels so fragile, and if Raps kinda let LBJ get his but make everyone else earn it, and DD and Lowry don’t disappear, they can probably afford to trade baskets and come out on top and that could happen every game without seeming weird. 

Archived