Football - Stolen Taxi for Pardew

Philokles

4 minutes ago, JordanJH1993 said:

What would your XI for the Netherlands' game be?

I'd probably go with a 3-4-2-1 of:

Pope*; Stones, Dier, Maguire; Walker, Henderson, Alli**, Rose; Sterling, Rashford***; Vardy

By the sound of it it's going to be 3-4-2-1 so with that in mind I'd go Pickford, Stones, Maguire, Gomez, Rose, Henderson, Dier, Walker, Alli, Sterling, Vardy.

I suppose the controversial one in there is Gomez but having a hybrid centre back/fullback who's good on the ball is fairly useful in a 3. Dier and Henderson in midfield might not be the most exciting but it's not the end of the world to have two solid players in there with 3 ball playing centrebacks plus 2 adventurous wingbacks. Alli might be more attacking but he's not much use playing deeper and I wouldn't play Oxlade-Chamberlain unless they go with a 4-3-3.

Looking at it from England's point of view they could do with Lallana having a strong finish to the season because he's well suited to the inside forward role and I'm not massively convinced with really any of Alli, Sterling or Rashford there. 

It seems like Southgate wants to go with Dier as his middle man in a back three. I see the sense in that, as by playing him there, he can go between defence and midfield, depending on the status of the match.

I think Henderson and Dier in the midfield, along with a back three, is about as negative as you can get. I'd imagine the ideal situation for Southgate would be that Wilshere can be fit and occupy the position alongside Henderson, as he played well in that role when Arsenal used 3-4-2-1 earlier this season.

Maybe, in tougher games, Dier could go back alongside Henderson, but England should fancy themselves to beat teams of Netherlands' current level. It would be disappointing, from an England perspective, if he went back to a midfield of Dier and Henderson.

I’m not a big fan of Dier as a centre back. I don’t think he’s an improvement defensively on any of the other options and he’s not really any better at bringing the ball out of defence than either Stones or Gomez, he’s probably worse. He’s a good holding midfielder, play him there.

The best we’ve seen the 3-4-2-1 in England was Chelsea last year playing two defensive midfielders in Kante and Matic. If we had a Xabi Alonso to play there then great but the point’s not to get great attacking play from the two deeper midfielders, it’s to free up the wingbacks and, especially, the two inside forwards.

I think my issue with Dier as a centre-mid is his lack of mobility, particularly on the ball. When he has it in his possession, he looks a bit static. Plenty of centre-backs have been able to excel, while not being mobile, through being able to read the game well, like John Terry. Dier seems to have good footballing brain, which is why I think he suits centre-back more than centre-mid.

Have to remember, too, that while Matic and Kante were known as defensive midfielders, Kante was actually really good in transition - and still is. He's a brilliant dribbler and ball carrier. It's like last season when Spurs used 3-4-2-1, and had Dier / Wanyama alongside Dembele, who could carry the ball from defence into the final third. Neither Dier or Henderson offer that; in fact, they both can slow play down.

It'll be interesting to see what Southgate does with the keeper situation. He says he is going to use Pickford tonight, but there really isn't much between any of the four goalkeepers. Pickford probably edges it on distribution, which has likely won him the call for the Netherlands game.

5 hours ago, AncalagonTheBlack said:

I've been watching 'NABY KEITA amazing skills' videos.:D What a player! Just get Timo Werner too as they seem to have such a great understanding betweem them.;)

He is a tremendous player - already one of the best central midfielders in the world and possibly the best rounded. Scarily he is now back in last season's form. I doubt Werner will be up for sale this summer, other than for something ludicrous as they won't want to lose two key players in one go and have the backing to say no.

Sorry, I am watching the heavy weight clash between Germany and Spain.

Spain look like Spain again, so they are (among) the favorites to win Russia.

Scoreline is 1-1 but Spain looks like the better team.

7 hours ago, AncalagonTheBlack said:

Just get Timo Werner too as they seem to have such a great understanding betweem them.;)

Werner has no release clause in his contract and Leipzig have made it clear they have no intention of selling another of their star players. So unless you want to splash out Coutinho like fees that transfer looks unlikely to happen. Besides your attacking line looks like it's sorted out anyway.

I'd rather point to Köln and Jonas Hector. He has a release clause in his contract. if Köln drops he is available for 8m €, Dortmund and Bayern have lined up to secure his services. And you could do with another LB/holding midfielder.

Fabulous goal from Muller. They put Draxler on the outside attacking forward. Woulda thought Mane's current form would've landed him that spot. Right on about Werner being the striker Germany needs. Their team is deep. You got Mane, Gundogan (on field now), Wagner, Can, Goretzka, and Brandt on the bench amongst others. Still premature but I think Germany has the best chance to win the WC. Their veteran players from the last WC are still very effective; i.e Muller, Ozil, Kroos, Hummels, Boateng. Then you got the young guys in Draxler, Sane, Can, Brandt, Goretzka, Kimmich, Werner, etc. Still could get Reus and Gotze in that squad. Can't wait for WC.

5 minutes ago, l2 0 5 5 said:

You got Mane, Gundogan (on field now), Wagner, Can, Goretzka, and Brandt on the bench amongst others

No, that one's actually Sane, not Mane.

6 minutes ago, l2 0 5 5 said:

Still could get Reus and Gotze in that squad. Can't wait for WC.

Götze has been too inconsistent since he came back from his illness. He won't make the cut. Reus however, probably will. Germany's biggest question mark remains in goal. Löw wants to keep on waiting for Neuer, who has hardly played any football this season due to his injury, and the window should be closing (and it probably would be for most players) for him, given that ter Stegen isn't exactly a bad replacement.

Germany vs Spain was a rare fun game for an international friendly. Good tempo and slick passing but sometimes a little too loose as neither side cared that much. Werner’s link up play was good but ironically his best chances would have been better suited to Gomez.

Would make these two the favourites currently, with France having a similar ability (better even defensively) but likely to be held back by Deschamps.

1 hour ago, Notone said:

No, that one's actually Sane, not Mane.

Götze has been too inconsistent since he came back from his illness. He won't make the cut. Reus however, probably will. Germany's biggest question mark remains in goal. Löw wants to keep on waiting for Neuer, who has hardly played any football this season due to his injury, and the window should be closing (and it probably would be for most players) for him, given that ter Stegen isn't exactly a bad replacement.

Thanks. I mix those two up with the spelling sometimes. 

14 hours ago, ljkeane said:

Gomez got injured? Fuck's sake. I've gone right off international breaks.

It always happens to us.  Lallana’s last season was basically undone by his England injury and he never recaptured his prior form since. 

We need Gomez to line up against Sane in the CL quarter finals.  I think Trent will struggle to contain him. 

Tuchel has supposedly turned Bayern down - I’d guess that is spin from his camp having been informed they weren’t interested or frustration at the less than unequivocal backing he’s had - and wants to join a top foreign club.

Chelsea seems the most logical destination. The original report suggests Arsenal, but that seems like a non-starter given Mislintat has just joined. I am not sure what his relationship is like with Mkhi either, whether or not he left BVB as he disliked Tuchel in the same way Hummels did.

As for Bayern, Hasenhüttl from Leipzig would be a good fit - better than Kovac, Favre or Streich who have also been rumoured. With Marco Rose waiting in the wings and RBL’s league form taking a dip this season, Rangnick might be open to the change.

18 hours ago, Horse of Kent said:

Tuchel has supposedly turned Bayern down - I’d guess that is spin from his camp having been informed they weren’t interested or frustration at the less than unequivocal backing he’s had - and wants to join a top foreign club.

Chelsea seems the most logical destination. The original report suggests Arsenal, but that seems like a non-starter given Mislintat has just joined. I am not sure what his relationship is like with Mkhi either, whether or not he left BVB as he disliked Tuchel in the same way Hummels did.

As for Bayern, Hasenhüttl from Leipzig would be a good fit - better than Kovac, Favre or Streich who have also been rumoured. With Marco Rose waiting in the wings and RBL’s league form taking a dip this season, Rangnick might be open to the change.

Yes, MIslintat can't be too happy about this. But apparently he assured the higher ups at Arsenal, that he will continue to work professionally regardless of who comes in.

On the other hand, that puts an end to some hopes on Dortmund's end. They are not too happy with their locker room composition (lack of leaders, and lack of more physical players (German Arsenal if you will)). So they hoped that Tuchel going to Bayern would lead to Hummels returning to Dortmund (I mentioned it a few times in the old thread, that Hummels doesn't like Tuchel at all).

And yes, I still had Tuchel as favorite to take over at Bayern, and it will really be interesting to see who takes over.

Nagelsmann is still under contract, and Hoffenheim have made it clear, that they want him to be in charge of the rebuild they will be undergoing (and Nagelsmann also acknowledged that he is under contract and not going anywhere). Hasenhüttl is also still under contract, and I don't know how willing Leipzig are to let him go. Löw rumoredly wants to stay in his current position and has no ambition to take over at club level. Streich has dismissed the rumours surrounding him and Bayern (in his typical manner "Seems like every Bundesliga have been linked to that post at least once, in that sense I would've felt somewhat offended if my name hadn't popped up at some point").

Favre is most certainly a candidate, but he is also still under consideration to take over at Dortmund from Stöger (who might well stay past this season).  Spurs's Poch has been named a few times, Although that would break with Bayern's preference of a manager who speaks German.

Archived