Sign in to follow this  
Olorin81

Heartsbane

Did I miss something on the show? The last we see of House Tarly's valyrian steel heirloom is Sam stealing it before he goes off to Oldtown to the Maesters correct? Has there been any mention of it since then? Is this some plotline that's just gonna fall into a blackhole?

9 hours ago, Olorin81 said:

Did I miss something on the show? The last we see of House Tarly's valyrian steel heirloom is Sam stealing it before he goes off to Oldtown to the Maesters correct? Has there been any mention of it since then? Is this some plotline that's just gonna fall into a blackhole?

He was carrying a very conspicuous sword shaped package outside the Citadel.

Posted (edited)
13 hours ago, Lord Lannister said:

He was carrying a very conspicuous sword shaped package outside the Citadel.

Ok but still not much more than seeing him steal it from the House of Tarly. Do you think we'll ever see it again, or are the writers going to totally forget about it? If it does come back into play, what part do you think it will serve in the story? Jon already has his own valyrian steel sword. So who do you think will use it? The Hound maybe? That would be cool.

Edited by Olorin81

Who would Sam trust with his family's ancestral weapon?  That doesn't already have a Valyrian steel weapon. Jorah's the only one I could possible think of. More than likely though, Sam will use it himself. He said he's tired of reading about the great deeds of others.

Posted (edited)

The deaths of Randyll and Dickon will be a bit different in the books. Randyll and Dickon Tarly will be killed at Storm's End early in Dance. Jon Connington will take Heartsbane for Aegon. Although Samwell has taken the black there might be an opportunity for him to have Mance's son, held out as his own, legitimized and made lord of Horn Hill with the return of Heartsbane in exchange for House Tarly's support of Aegon. 

Edited by Lost Melnibonean

Posted (edited)
On 3/9/2018 at 8:02 AM, Olorin81 said:

Ok but still not much more than seeing him steal it from the House of Tarly. Do you think we'll ever see it again, or are the writers going to totally forget about it? If it does come back into play, what part do you think it will serve in the story? Jon already has his own valyrian steel sword. So who do you think will use it? The Hound maybe? That would be cool.

They showed it in 705 when he left. 

The show seems to be setting Sam up to be the Lord of Horn Hill. 

If someone uses it up North though I would bet the Hound or Jorah.... but is a great sword like that even suitable for combat? 

Edited by jcmontea

On 3/28/2018 at 0:39 PM, Lost Melnibonean said:

The deaths of Randyll and Dickon will be a bit different in the books. Randyll and Dickon Tarly will be killed at Storm's End early in Dance. Jon Connington will take Heartsbane for Aegon. Although Samwell has taken the black there might be an opportunity for him to have Mance's son, held out as his own, legitimized and made lord of Horn Hill with the return of Heartsbane in exchange for House Tarly's support of Aegon. 

Isn't Dickon like 5 years old in the books?

I feel that the show is setting things up for a lot of neatly packaged endings. Sam will use Heartsbane to be a hero, will be dismissed of his Night's Watch vows, will become the new lord of Horn Hill, will marry Gilly and live happily ever after!

1 hour ago, Euron's Mom said:

Isn't Dickon like 5 years old in the books?

I feel that the show is setting things up for a lot of neatly packaged endings. Sam will use Heartsbane to be a hero, will be dismissed of his Night's Watch vows, will become the new lord of Horn Hill, will marry Gilly and live happily ever after!

No, Dickon is at least Bran Stark's age (10) and maybe a couple of years older. He is serving as a squire in his father's host, and he is already wed. 

In the show, I could totally see Sam giving it to Jorah, especially considering the latter has already turned down Jon's offer of Longclaw and Sam, ya know, saved his life.  In the books, not so much.