The Many Saints of Newark (Sopranos prequel)

RumHam

Their parts haven’t been announced, but I can’t be the only one who thinks there’s a passing resemblance to Johnny and Livia Soprano...?

https://www.empireonline.com/movies/news/jon-bernthal-vera-farmiga-join-sopranos-prequel-film/

...not sure who these two look like younger versions of though...

https://www.empireonline.com/movies/news/corey-stoll-billy-magnussen-sopranos-prequel/

41 minutes ago, DaveSumm said:

Their parts haven’t been announced, but I can’t be the only one who thinks there’s a passing resemblance to Johnny and Livia Soprano...?

Yeah saw this yesterday and I'm totally on board with Bernthal and Farmiga as Johnny Boy and Livia.  Sounds like great casting to me.  Also certainly like Corey Stoll - and similarly have no idea who he could be.  Maybe he could be a young Carmine?  That's the best I got.  Don't know the Magnussen kid.

ETA:  I guess Stoll could play Junior - he's got the bald thing going on - but I don't think he fits the personality.

20 minutes ago, DMC said:

ETA:  I guess Stoll could play Junior - he's got the bald thing going on - but I don't think he fits the personality.

I did the same thing, couldn’t think of anyone then I was like ‘of course, Junior’. I kinda hope they don’t focus on anyone we know too well. The guy who played him in the flashbacks already looked the part, Stoll seems a little too imposing. 

Sorry, this seems like a bad idea.  He might strike gold like Vince Gilligan, but it's a bit of a different set up, and more challenging since it seems that we're seeing younger versions of many of the main characters.  A young Tony seems destined to disappoint

8 minutes ago, DaveSumm said:

The guy who played him in the flashbacks already looked the part, Stoll seems a little too imposing.

Yeah, every roll I've seen Stoll in he projects far too much confidence for Junior.  Need someone that comes off as insecure (under a thin veneer of tough guy).

7 minutes ago, Cas Stark said:

Sorry, this seems like a bad idea.  He might strike gold like Vince Gilligan, but it's a bit of a different set up, and more challenging since it seems that we're seeing younger versions of many of the main characters.  A young Tony seems destined to disappoint

What I like about the premise is it seems to be centered on something entirely tangential to the mob rather than focused on the DiMeo/Soprano family.

11 minutes ago, Bronn Stone said:

Magnussen = Ralph Cifaretto???

Ralph is established as a contemporary of Tony (he missed out on taking down the Feech La Manna card game in which Tony and Jackie made their names).  Therefore, he should be far too young.

1 hour ago, DMC said:

Ralph is established as a contemporary of Tony (he missed out on taking down the Feech La Manna card game in which Tony and Jackie made their names).  Therefore, he should be far too young.

Excellent point, but if Ralphie is seven or eight years older, that would explain his resentment even more.  He got bunched in with the kids.

Magnussen could definitely play younger than his 30.

9 minutes ago, Bronn Stone said:

Magnussen could definitely play younger than his 30.

Surprised to see Magnussen is actually a month older than me (33) - cuz yeah, he definitely looks younger.  Still, it's set in 1967, which means Tony should be 7 or 8.  I can't see Ralph being that much older.

On 1/16/2019 at 5:56 AM, Nictarion said:

Magnussen as young Hesh? 

Love the casting of Bernthal. 

Yeah, they can't go wrong with Bernthal. He will fit well as an unhinged mobster.

1 hour ago, BigFatCoward said:

Gandolfini's son has been cast as Tony. Hope it was on merit and not nostalgia. 

It's a potentially reckless call because online commentators are so heartless they will give his son a lot of shit if not up to the task and that's really unfair given the situation.

2 hours ago, BigFatCoward said:

Gandolfini's son has been cast as Tony. Hope it was on merit and not nostalgia. 

Going back to whether that other guy was too old to play Ralph Cifaretto: Michael Gandolfini is 19, James Gandolfini was born in 1961 so it looks we’re 10 years out anyway. Either this is set in the 70’s or Tony was older than Gandolfini, I don’t remember whether they ever mention his age in Sopranos ... although I think Chris said at his intervention that “you’ll be dead by 50” (eesh) so he’s definitely not 10 years older. 

44 minutes ago, DaveSumm said:

Going back to whether that other guy was too old to play Ralph Cifaretto: Michael Gandolfini is 19, James Gandolfini was born in 1961 so it looks we’re 10 years out anyway. Either this is set in the 70’s or Tony was older than Gandolfini, I don’t remember whether they ever mention his age in Sopranos ... although I think Chris said at his intervention that “you’ll be dead by 50” (eesh) so he’s definitely not 10 years older. 

I'm pretty sure Tony states he's 40 years old in the pilot.  His HBO page says he was born in 1959, and the wiki even gives his birthday - which I assume is based on something.  Not to mention his age is at least approximated many times throughout the series (the flashbacks in "Down Neck," when he committed his first murder, when he missed the job and Tony B. got pinched, when his father died and he became a very young capo).  If it's a retcon, it's a pretty brazen one.  More likely there will be some type of jumping around in the timeline and it's a small role.

On 1/23/2019 at 9:47 AM, Nictarion said:

Didn’t realize Gandolfini’s son is in The Duece.

*mind blown* 

Yeah just looked him up to see who he was, looks like he has also been in two movies. He did ok in The Deuce, small role, nothing special stands out about him.

Archived