strategy stannis

Alex Gu

Show that letter to Robb and demand his fealty. The letter wouldn't help him much except with the North and probably the Riverlands, as all the other factions have their own interests in  doing as they did in the WotFK, although Balon wouldn't probably attack the North, as now Robb has an allied navy, which he could use the transport his troops to White Harbor. Instead of sieging Storm's End, he could use the ships to achieve superior mobility in the Trident, although it's doubtful how far upstream can the royal fleet can go, given that they have a far bigger draught than Ironborn longships.

• 3 weeks later...

Well i know everything that happens so i would be a pretty op advisor lol.

Make alliance with the Starks and Tullys.

Warn Robb Stark of Roose and Ramsay Bolton and about the Ironborn invassion so he can prepare. 

Marry Shireen to either Robb Stark or Edmure Tully.

Make alliance with the Tullys and tell Edmure to keep his forces east of the Red Fork. 

Besiege Storms End and assasinate Renly when he comes so he can get his cavalry. 

Attack King's Landing with Stannis army from the south and Stark army from the North.

1 hour ago, KingLordPresidentMaster said:

Well i know everything that happens so i would be a pretty op advisor lol.

Haha apparently not...

Make alliance with the Starks and Tullys.

You mean, demand fealty?  Why would his actions change from the books?  The whole point is that Stannis won't make "alliances" early on because he won't bargain away what he believes is the fealty rightly owed to him.  And he does demand the fealty of the Starks and Tullys.

Warn Robb Stark of Roose and Ramsay Bolton and about the Ironborn invassion so he can prepare. 

How can he prepare?  The North is always ready for an ironborn invasion, it's only the absence of most of their men and senior political leadership which hurts them.  There is a strong indication that without Theon taking Winterfell and Ramsay betraying Ser Rodrik, the North would have adequately held off the ironborn.

Additionally, Robb is well aware of Ramsay and his predilections, and Roose doesn't act until he's sure to win, so there is nothing to warn of.

Attack King's Landing with Stannis army from the south and Stark army from the North.

How?  There is a Lannister/Tyrell army in the way.  Nothing changes at the Blackwater, really, because it's debatable whether Robb can reach King's Landing in time.

All the rest of it is exactly what Stannis did.

16 minutes ago, cpg2016 said:

Haha apparently not...

You mean, demand fealty?  Why would his actions change from the books?  The whole point is that Stannis won't make "alliances" early on because he won't bargain away what he believes is the fealty rightly owed to him.  And he does demand the fealty of the Starks and Tullys.

How can he prepare?  The North is always ready for an ironborn invasion, it's only the absence of most of their men and senior political leadership which hurts them.  There is a strong indication that without Theon taking Winterfell and Ramsay betraying Ser Rodrik, the North would have adequately held off the ironborn.

Additionally, Robb is well aware of Ramsay and his predilections, and Roose doesn't act until he's sure to win, so there is nothing to warn of.

How?  There is a Lannister/Tyrell army in the way.  Nothing changes at the Blackwater, really, because it's debatable whether Robb can reach King's Landing in time.

All the rest of it is exactly what Stannis did.

The question was YOU ARE STANNIS WHAT TO DO DUDE and i am not as strict as Stannis so i could accept an alliance at first instead of blunt fealty. You know telling Robb that his father died for standing up to Stannis right to the Throne. He could write a good letter and win him over easily i think.

If the Tullys gatherd their troops more quickly and defended the red fork from the east i think they could stop the Lannisters or delay them for a long time. Then Robb Stark can run down the kingsroad, reinforce the tullys with some forces and attack King's Landing. The Lannisters wouldnt be in a position to block him.

If Robb got a heads up that the ironborn and boltons would attack and betray them he could prepare. He would give command to someone other than Roose. He could reinforce moat cailin and set up an ambush at the fever river when victarion attacks. Reinforce Torrhens square and deepwood motte and they wouldnt be caught of guard by Ramsay.

Just a reminder that in ASOIAF (which I suppose is the object of discussion in this forum), Stannis already knew Cersei's children were not Robert's. He didn't find out through a letter from Eddard Stark, in fact he was the first to discover that (maybe exceptioning Baelish and Varys).

3 hours ago, KingLordPresidentMaster said:

The question was YOU ARE STANNIS WHAT TO DO DUDE and i am not as strict as Stannis so i could accept an alliance at first instead of blunt fealty. You know telling Robb that his father died for standing up to Stannis right to the Throne. He could write a good letter and win him over easily i think.

If the Tullys gatherd their troops more quickly and defended the red fork from the east i think they could stop the Lannisters or delay them for a long time. Then Robb Stark can run down the kingsroad, reinforce the tullys with some forces and attack King's Landing. The Lannisters wouldnt be in a position to block him.

If Robb got a heads up that the ironborn and boltons would attack and betray them he could prepare. He would give command to someone other than Roose. He could reinforce moat cailin and set up an ambush at the fever river when victarion attacks. Reinforce Torrhens square and deepwood motte and they wouldnt be caught of guard by Ramsay.

But then you aren't Stannis, you're a totally different character.  Why not make yourself invincible, walk into the throne room, and kill Joffrey?  Why not shit gold bars, and go hire a bunch of mercenaries?  Why not bring the technology for B-52s to Westeros and fly a plane in and hit the win button?

These sorts of hypotheticals are supposed to act within the constraints of the story.

And Torrhen's Square and Deepwood Motte weren't caught off guard by Ramsay.  You are factually incorrect about many of the events of the series, which is another way in which you don't resemble Stannis.

34 minutes ago, cpg2016 said:

But then you aren't Stannis, you're a totally different character.  Why not make yourself invincible, walk into the throne room, and kill Joffrey?  Why not shit gold bars, and go hire a bunch of mercenaries?  Why not bring the technology for B-52s to Westeros and fly a plane in and hit the win button?

These sorts of hypotheticals are supposed to act within the constraints of the story.

And Torrhen's Square and Deepwood Motte weren't caught off guard by Ramsay.  You are factually incorrect about many of the events of the series, which is another way in which you don't resemble Stannis.

I interpreted the question as if you are in his position what would you do to win. You interpreted it in another way.

I dont claim they were caught off guard by ramsay but by the ironborn. 

Name a single thing i have been incorrect on please. 

5 hours ago, KingLordPresidentMaster said:

Reinforce Torrhens square and deepwood motte and they wouldnt be caught of guard by Ramsay.

Right there, buddy boy.  Neither of those locations are caught off guard by Ramsay Bolton nee Snow.

5 hours ago, KingLordPresidentMaster said:

If the Tullys gatherd their troops more quickly and defended the red fork from the east i think they could stop the Lannisters or delay them for a long time. Then Robb Stark can run down the kingsroad, reinforce the tullys with some forces and attack King's Landing.

The whole point of Tywin's strategy is that the Tully's don't have time to gather their troops more quickly; it's a chevauchee pure and simple, and there isn't time to react to that, and especially not to confront it while still maintaining a defensive position on the Red Fork.

And why, in this case, do the Tully's even accept Robb as king?  It's pretty clear within the context of the actual timeline that they acclaim Robb in part because he rescues them from the Lannisters; if they've just successfully fought off the Lannisters on their own, why are they bending the knee to a foreigner?

And your interpretation was silly, which was my point.  If you can be anyone, why not be Magneto, and therefore control all the metal in Westeros?  If you want the question to be so open-ended, what's the point of answering?

21 minutes ago, Dorian Martell's son said:

You would do what Stannis did in the books, because you are Stannis 

This. And he had been making preparations of his own since Jon Arryn's death. Tywin knows if rumors (told to the Council by Varys) of Stannis's activities as early as AGOT: hiring sellsails, bringing a shadowbinder from Asshai (that's the rumor, doesn't mean he actually brought her) etc.

14 hours ago, cpg2016 said:

Right there, buddy boy.  Neither of those locations are caught off guard by Ramsay Bolton nee Snow.

The whole point of Tywin's strategy is that the Tully's don't have time to gather their troops more quickly; it's a chevauchee pure and simple, and there isn't time to react to that, and especially not to confront it while still maintaining a defensive position on the Red Fork.

And why, in this case, do the Tully's even accept Robb as king?  It's pretty clear within the context of the actual timeline that they acclaim Robb in part because he rescues them from the Lannisters; if they've just successfully fought off the Lannisters on their own, why are they bending the knee to a foreigner?

And your interpretation was silly, which was my point.  If you can be anyone, why not be Magneto, and therefore control all the metal in Westeros?  If you want the question to be so open-ended, what's the point of answering?

I did a bit of sloppy sentence building there i meant that the stark army would be cautious around ramsay and that they could have prepared torrhens square and deepwood motte from the ironborn. 

If Stannis gave them an early heads up before the lannisters even invaded they could muster their troops much faster.

I suppose Robb wouldnt be their king but close allies.

My interpretation was not in any way wrong or silly. You are extremely silly saying why wont you just send level bombers and carpet bomb them to oblivion. His question was what would YOU do to win if you were in stannis position that is how i interpreted it.

I would bend the knee to Joffrey on the condition I be givin SE AND Shireen gets a very solid mariage, I would then poison Joffrey and become Tommons regent, sure Cersie would wanna be regent but im sure Stannis could talk Tywin into allowing him the honour since Cersie is a F**k up waiting to happen. After Tommon becomes king I summon the royal fleet and siege Whites Harbour AND Seaguard during the siege I reach out to Robb demand he bends the knee that Joffrey is dead and Tommon hasnt wronged house Stark, tell him you will find a way to have Cersies head as well if he so wishes and then Marry Bran or Rickon to Myrcella Baratheon. Royal pardons for the Riverlands and North if he refuses you will burn Seaguard and Whites Harbour to the ground and inform him that you will force Balons hand in raiding the North or else Stannis will sail both fleets to Pyke and destroy the IB for good I'm sure Balon would agree. Then its time for the Tyrells and Renly, I would have my wife murdered and then offer Tommon to Mace and BOOM, the Tyrells flip sides Renly is hanged and before Tommon is old enough to produce an heir he is poisened as well lol.

Black magic and Poison are both not honourable so dont say Stannis wouldnt use poison if he really HAD to. 

On 3/28/2018 at 8:55 AM, KingLordPresidentMaster said:

I did a bit of sloppy sentence building there i meant that the stark army would be cautious around ramsay and that they could have prepared torrhens square and deepwood motte from the ironborn. 

Those places had garrisons, you know?  The problem is that Robb marches south in a hurry, so he takes standing armies and not as many levies, so many of the castles in the North are stripped of men.  If the Starks are leaving men in all those castles, they're significantly weakening the army they bring south, which means they may not have the same success as IOTL.

And that isn't sloppy sentence building.  Putting wrong facts in a sentence is being wrong, not having poor grammar.

On 3/28/2018 at 8:55 AM, KingLordPresidentMaster said:

My interpretation was not in any way wrong or silly. You are extremely silly saying why wont you just send level bombers and carpet bomb them to oblivion. His question was what would YOU do to win if you were in stannis position that is how i interpreted it.

Right, but your interpretation is wrong.  The question is, if you were Stannis, what would you do?  It is predicated on acting within the character constraints that Stannis has.  If the question is literally "what would you do if you [KingLordPresidentMaster] were in Stannis' position" and you could make up any hypothetical from there, then I would bring Blackhawk helicopters with me and win that way.  Again, the question is premised on you having similar resources, limitations, and options as Stannis would.  If those don't hold true, you can make up anything you want.

So just being in Stannis' position?

Well that just complicates the question further. Because I have a hugely different personality from Stannis, I would have taken different life choices. which would alter said position in a huge way. 
For one I'd be pretty happy to sit on an island in the ocean with a cool castle and be left alone.
For another I wouldn't allow a religious fanatic in my court.
For a third I wouldn't have chopped off Davos' fingers.
For a fourth I'd spend most of my days running along the beach with Shireen.
Four a fifth I'd probably get along very well with Renly.
For a sixth, while gay, I would have treated Selyse with more kindness and attention.

So if I'm sitting on my island and some guy from the North sends me a letter that I should take the throne because Robert's kids are incest bastards. I'd write him back that I already know and that I don't care and ask him what idiocy causes him to think that I want to sit on an uncomfortable chair in a city that smells of shit. I'd also recommend to him to just go home.

Stannis having Ned's letter is a big game changer; unlike in the show Book! Stannis never had Honorable Ned's letter. 

I'd send letters to every lord writing I have a letter from Honorable the Ned, whose little girl is under Lannister captivity by the way, that 'proves' the Lannister bastards are just that, bastards of incest.

This would at the very least increase the credibility of my word and lower that of Lannisters who have just killed the most honorable men in 7K because of his findnings.

Archived