Who's Watching Through the Dragon Skulls?

Ghost+Nymeria4Eva

On 3/11/2018 at 11:00 PM, The Fattest Leech said:

By the way, have any of you read In the House of the Worm? All of this above, including the golden Jaime-type, is written there if you want to take a read. And remember what the worms represent?

Good catch with Jaime, but I suspect that it's Jaime's guilt and grief (for Rhaegar) talking through the shield. Don't even ask about that Worm short story, it was horrifying to get through like the first two pages. It was about worms, I just couldn't. Like worm people, aaaaarrrrrgggghhhhhh. And there was a pale worm in House of Undying too. Ewwwwwwwwwww just no. 

On 3/12/2018 at 0:45 AM, Dorian Martell's son said:

Three people who are in awe of dragon skulls. Nothing more 

Not really. Tyrion is sort of. Ned is just spectating. And Arya doesn't even realize they are dragon skulls right away and she doesn't care for the dragons anyway. 

On 3/12/2018 at 6:11 AM, Curled Finger said:

Hrm, reading through and wondering why the dragons were not cremated like their human counterparts?  That's just odd if you ask me. 

Well, dragons are really big so cremating them would be very risky. And their bodies may not succumb to fire even after death. 

On 3/11/2018 at 11:55 PM, LynnS said:

According to the Damphair bones are the memories of the soul.  At least we see this with the wights who only remember they are dead when their bones are crushed.  So I suppose the question is whether the dragon bones contain the memory of a soul.

Excellent catch. There's also that soulbound magic thing going on with the dragons and the Valyrians, so it's possible that connection isn't gone until the bones are gone. Maybe there are like some remnants that a third party can use to see through, like how WW control the wights. 

On 3/11/2018 at 1:55 PM, hiemal said:

It could be the spirit of the dragons themselves, the soul(s) of House Targaryen lingering in their bones. Dragon's skulls would make poor spy eyes- they are just about all in one place.

Yes but they are in a very important place, King's Landing. I just remembered, Robert moved them to the vaults because he thinks the skulls are watching or something too. He gets a bad feeling, possibly his guilt here as well. Before they were in the vaults, anyone looking through the skull eyes would know what's going on in the inner royal court. 

On 3/11/2018 at 1:55 PM, hiemal said:

It could be the spirit of the dragons themselves, the soul(s) of House Targaryen lingering in their bones. Dragon's skulls would make poor spy eyes- they are just about all in one place.

Yes but they are in a very important place, King's Landing. I just remembered, Robert moved them to the vaults because he thinks the skulls are watching or something too. He gets a bad feeling, possibly his guilt here as well. Before they were in the vaults, anyone looking through the skull eyes would know what's going on in the inner royal court. 

1 hour ago, Ghost+Nymeria4Eva said:

Good catch with Jaime, but I suspect that it's Jaime's guilt and grief (for Rhaegar) talking through the shield. Don't even ask about that Worm short story, it was horrifying to get through like the first two pages. It was about worms, I just couldn't. Like worm people, aaaaarrrrrgggghhhhhh. And there was a pale worm in House of Undying too. Ewwwwwwwwwww just no. 

Aah, you are familiar? :thumbsup:

So what? Giant punch bowls filled with wriggling, mating worms that you have to drink doesn't do anything for you? (me either :ack:)

2 hours ago, Ghost+Nymeria4Eva said:

Not really. Tyrion is sort of. Ned is just spectating. And Arya doesn't even realize they are dragon skulls right away and she doesn't care for the dragons anyway. 

Literally everyone would be in awe of a skill bigger than they are. Go visit a natural history museum 

On 11/03/2018 at 9:15 PM, Megorova said:

Maybe whoever is using glass cadles, can also see what the dead dragons see. So those watchers could be red priests, maester Marwyn, Quaithe/Shiera Seastar, etc.

But the dead dragons are... well, dead. What could they see? 

1 hour ago, Dorian Martell's son said:

It still does not mean someone is watching through the eye sockets 

I agree. And this also made me think of "Murder by Death", where someone watches characters through the cut out eyes in a painting - of a dog, maybe?) :lol:

On 3/12/2018 at 10:34 AM, zandru said:

Arya didn't feel guilty this time around. Plus, she's an unusually strong and adaptable personality.

Yes, quite possible.

I was thinking of it in different terms. It almost seemed like there was something about Arya which opposed either dragons, Targaryens, god of light, or the inhabitants of the skulls. With her second visit it seemed like something had altered, whether it be as simple as herself growing stronger or something deeper.

I just found the thought 'something here has no love for me..' to be of note coming from Arya. 

2 hours ago, kissdbyfire said:

But the dead dragons are... well, dead. What could they see? 

Dust motes are fascinating during the summer years.

2 hours ago, kissdbyfire said:

I agree. And this also made me think of "Murder by Death", where someone watches characters through the cut out eyes in a painting - of a dog, maybe?) :lol:

https://gph.is/28NUizz

12 hours ago, DireDancer said:

I just found the thought 'something here has no love for me..' to be of note coming from Arya. 

She feels there's something in the room that does not love her. But it's not there when she returns. By her second visit, she has conquered her fear of the dragons, which is just so Arya. Maybe it was not just Arya that got used to the skulls, maybe the dragon skulls realized she wasn't a threat either? Now Arya has gone and joined the FM, the mortal enemy of the dragons. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/14/2018 at 9:20 AM, Ghost+Nymeria4Eva said:

Maybe it was not just Arya that got used to the skulls, maybe the dragon skulls realized she wasn't a threat either? Now Arya has gone and joined the FM, the mortal enemy of the dragons. 

Yes, that's what I was thinking too- that something had occurred to synchronize them, or put them in the same camp.

Regarding the FM, it does seem like they would be the enemy of R'hlor since the FM began as slaves to the dragonlords of Valyria, but since they revere many gods it's uncertain. I'm not sure if Arya will become a true follower of the FM as she's unable to let go of Needle..and by extension her family and herself. She seems to be there to gain power over her enemies and nothing more. It seems obvious, which makes me wonder what they want or need from Arya specifically.

*A bit off course..sorry.

On 11/03/2018 at 4:11 PM, The Fattest Leech said:

If I were to make a scientifically wild ass speculative guess, then I would say Rhaegar, with no proof whatsoever,

That's the go-to answer for almost everything on here!

A more mundane answer than the idea of some sort of magical thing going on, is that they are hiding places for Varys's little birds. 

15 hours ago, DireDancer said:

Regarding the FM, it does seem like they would be the enemy of R'hlor since the FM began as slaves to the dragonlords of Valyria, but since they revere many gods it's uncertain. I'm not sure if Arya will become a true follower of the FM as she's unable to let go of Needle..and by extension her family and herself. She seems to be there to gain power over her enemies and nothing more. It seems obvious, which makes me wonder what they want or need from Arya specifically.

I don't this the primary purpose for the existence of FM has changed over the centuries. After all, it's only been like 300 years. After the Doom of Valyria, they might have been aiming to get rid of all dragons and Targs as well. At the end of the Dance with Dragons, it was a Shepherd that calls the common people to go to the dragon pit and kill the dragons. That's a strong cadidate for an FM. 

As for Arya, I think we can safely say that she's not going to every fully become "no one." For one thing, she's a warg and she and Nymeria are still share their mental connection. FM don't seem to know about that. 

6 hours ago, Shouldve Taken The Black said:

A more mundane answer than the idea of some sort of magical thing going on, is that they are hiding places for Varys's little birds. 

Probably not because the birds spy on the outside not inside the central court. There could be a magical thing going on, as in it's possible places can hold memories. The dragon bones may contain trace elements of the magic that once was the dragon. Or it could be some time of Targ sorcery. Several Targs, going back to Visenya, has been suspected of dabbling in sorcery. 

12 hours ago, Ghost+Nymeria4Eva said:

As for Arya, I think we can safely say that she's not going to every fully become "no one." For one thing, she's a warg and she and Nymeria are still share their mental connection. FM don't seem to know about that. 

Yes! I've been wondering about this how they could have missed this as Arya has frequent Wolf-dreams. 

I'm in the middle of a reread of DWD now, I'm sure grrm has left a wealth of clues I previously missed.

Archived