US Politics: Stormy Weather Ahead

Fragile Bird

33 minutes ago, Fragile Bird said:

Ooops, I guess Kittie wasn't being sarcastic.  

We tread in dangerous territory here. There would have been thousands to fire if Obama had that attitude.

What to me is more important is whether or not she supported torture or felt she had a job to do and did it. She has to be seriously questioned on the issue of torture. Laws were passed that were supposed to stop that conduct. She should be asked if she would resign if Trump asked her to re-institute torture practices.

Yeah bad actions can lead to bad consequences and some could be a massive firing within the Intelligence services.

The articles of Ms. Haspel state destroying evidence. Well if this is well documented then why no prosecution?

Yeah I get bothered by it and was one of my main reason I did not vote for Obama's re-election. 

Somehow I've got questions.

a.) Wasn't Tillerson supposed to be one of the adults in the room to keep Donnie Dipshit somewhat under control

b.) wasn't there supposed to be that suicide pact among the saner members of his cabinet, that if one of them gets fired the others will resign. (I am not sure, wasn't it Tillerson, McMaster, and Matthis (?)). So will the others resign now? And who will be their replacements?

46 minutes ago, Fragile Bird said:

*shrugs*

I prefer my adults to adult.

This is not being an adult. It's playing at being one. It's kabuki theatre and your admiration for it is silly.

27 minutes ago, TheKitttenGuard said:

Without prosecution or significant removals made what occured as simply policy and not a very serious act against what we proclaim to be important.

What @Mexal said, but regardless, you're still effectively placing more blame on the prosecutor for not charging the criminal instead of the criminal that committed the acts.  It's ridiculous.

14 minutes ago, Pony Queen Jace said:

I'm not gonna lie. I'm pretty excited for this PA-18.

I think I was fine until he went campaigning there this weekend. I need it guys, I need it to be close. I know a win would be just so unlikely. But show me the wave is still there!

Me too!  And a win isn't unlikely - polling has the race, at worst, a tossup.

I think what we are seeing is Trump finally losing it and purging his White House of people trying to reign him in and just doing whatever the fuck he actually wants to do.

9 minutes ago, Shryke said:

I think what we are seeing is Trump finally losing it and purging his White House of people trying to reign him in and just doing whatever the fuck he actually wants to do.

It's like the Night of the Long Knives if conducted by highschoolers.

12 minutes ago, Shryke said:

Maggie Haberman tweeted this earlier today. He feels comfortable now that he doesn't much care. He'll do what he wants, just like he did with the Trump Org. No one is going to stop him or hold him accountable so whatever.

18 minutes ago, Pony Queen Jace said:

I think you just managed to shortchange both highschoolers and nazis all in one analogy.

16 minutes ago, Mexal said:

Maggie Haberman tweeted this earlier today. He feels comfortable now that he doesn't much care. He'll do what he wants, just like he did with the Trump Org. No one is going to stop him or hold him accountable so whatever.

The obvious response to this is - so, so far this has been him caring?

5 minutes ago, dmc515 said:

I think you just managed to shortchange both highschoolers and nazis all in one analogy.

The obvious response to this is - so, so far this has been him caring?

I got fired for shortchanging. If I'm being honest it was more of a 'pocket transaction' type deal.

38 minutes ago, Pony Queen Jace said:

I hope the Forum will forgive me for the following, but I was reminded of Caesar and Tsars all over again while reading this discussion of a new and -- ah-hem -- classy edition of the complete works of Julius Caesar -- which at the end speaks to teaching Caesar's works to high schoolers!  I couldn't resist sharing, ya know?  In this context the last section just delight me.  And yes, today's storm has passed and it is the cocktail hour!  :cheers:

http://www.nybooks.com/articles/2018/03/22/caesar-bloody-caesar/

His writing too slipped into obscurity for centuries, not least because for over a millennium it was ascribed to other authors. Since the Renaissance, however, Caesar’s simple, direct Latin and his limited vocabulary have made the Gallic War a popular school text. Although it lost some of its attraction in the mid-twentieth century, as career positions in colonial territories become scarce, and the embrace of Caesar by fascist politicians—Mussolini called him “the greatest figure after Christ”—became hard to ignore, it is now back in US classrooms as a central text in the Advanced Placement curriculum. This brutal tale of conquest, enslavement, and genocide might seem a bold, even brilliant choice for classroom discussion, but the reality of the Latin lesson may best be captured by the young Nigel Molesworth’s inimitable English in Down with Skool!, Geoffrey Willans’s immortal rendering of English schoolboy life in the 1950s:

They sa: “The gauls—galli—subject—go on molesworth oppugnant—what does oppugnant mean—they aTre atacking fossas. Ditches. What did you say molesworth? Why on earth attack a ditch? Keep your mind on the sentence. The gauls are attacking the ditches. What? I am quite unable to inform you molesworth for what purpose the Gauls wished to attack the ditches. The latin is correct. That sufices.

We proceed…. What is that? molesworth for the last time your opinion that it is soppy to atack a ditch does not interest me…. Likewise the question of whether there was buckets of blud is immaterial.*

For an account of the problems of teaching high school Latin through the Gallic War and other standard texts, see Erik Robinson, “‘The Slaves Were Happy’: High School Latin and the Horrors of Classical Studies,” at eidolon.pub, a good-humored site of resistance to the appropriation of classical antiquity by the right. ↩

1 hour ago, dmc515 said:

What @Mexal said, but regardless, you're still effectively placing more blame on the prosecutor for not charging the criminal instead of the criminal that committed the acts.  It's ridiculous.

I am blaming the Political Institution as representative by President Obama for not pursuing the matter based on a myriad of reasons that vary from Noble to sweeping it under the rug.

This is a long settle issue and is one I strongly dislike.

4 minutes ago, TheKitttenGuard said:

I am blaming the Political Institution as representative by President Obama for not pursuing the matter based on a myriad of reasons that vary from Noble to sweeping it under the rug.

This is a long settle issue and is one I strongly dislike.

When referring to torture/"enhanced interrogation techniques" and saying "this is more the shameful lagacy of Obama," it gives the impression that it's Obama rather than Bush's legacy that is most tarnished due to torture under the Bush administration.  That's what I think is ridiculous.

As for the Obama administration refusing to prosecute or characterizing that as "sweeping it under the rug" (when in actuality Obama made considerable efforts to ensure the legalization of torture won't happen again), the reasons why were obvious - and IIRC Obama explained and addressed this before he even took office.  If you wanna complain about it, that's your prerogative, but I'm not really interested in the argument.

1 minute ago, dmc515 said:

BTW, it's been windy and shitty all day in Pittsburgh and has been snowing the past couple hours.  This is not good for Lamb.  On the other hand, it does give me the chance to once again cite one of my favorite articles co-published by my advisor:  Republicans Should Pray for Rain.

I am not sure that applies to the PA-18 race.  In general, Democratic voters are more motivated but fewer in number than Republican voters* in PA-18.  So I would actually think that Lamb could benefit from bad weather.  No way to be sure, obviously, but it definitely seems possible. 

* weird voter registration patterns notwithstanding.

4 minutes ago, dmc515 said:

BTW, it's been windy and shitty all day in Pittsburgh and has been snowing the past couple hours.  This is not good for Lamb.  On the other hand, it does give me the chance to once again cite one of my favorite articles co-published by my advisor:  Republicans Should Pray for Rain.

I'm not so sure. Bad weather seems to favor GOP normally but in this case, I think it favors the Dems, just like VA. They're more energized so more likely to fight it to vote.

1 hour ago, Shryke said:

This may not be a bad thing because the thing that Trump most wants to do is literally NOTHING!

He wants to lounge about all day, watching TV, listening to stories about himself, meeting other famous people and eating cheeseburgers. It's the expectation that he actually has to do work that is most irritating for him. He isn't accustomed to doing much at all.

Archived