US Politics: Stormy Weather Ahead

Fragile Bird

Here is the article about the subpoena.

The special counsel, Robert S. Mueller III, has subpoenaed the Trump Organization to turn over documents, including some related to Russia, according to two people briefed on the matter. It is the first known instance of the special counsel demanding documents directly related to President Trump’s businesses, bringing the investigation closer to the president.

The breadth of the subpoena was not clear, nor was it clear why Mr. Mueller issued it instead of simply asking for the documents from the company, an umbrella organization that oversees Mr. Trump’s business ventures. In the subpoena, delivered in recent weeks, Mr. Mueller ordered the Trump Organization to hand over all documents related to Russia and other topics he is investigating, the people said.

The subpoena is the latest indication that the investigation, which Mr. Trump’s lawyers once regularly assured him would be completed by now, will drag on for at least several more months. Word of the subpoena comes as Mr. Mueller appears to be broadening his investigation to examine the role foreign money may have played in funding Mr. Trump’s political activities. In recent weeks, Mr. Mueller’s investigators have questioned witnesses, including an adviser to the United Arab Emirates, about the flow of Emirati money into the United States.

A subpoena shows that Mueller is not screwing around here, not playing mister nice guy and just asking for documents. I think it also makes it harder for Trump to fire him. The Trump organization gets a subpoena and then Trump fires the counsel? All hell will break loose.

Of course, Trump might claim Mueller was crossing the red line, so he had to fire him.

A side note about Mueller. I saw a bit of a one hour piece CNN did on Mueller, and they showed him speaking to the press at the crash site of Pan Am Flight 103 in Lockerbie, Scotland. The plane exploded on route to NYC on December 21, 1988. Mueller oversaw the prosecution case when he headed the criminal division of the Justice Department. As soon as I saw the piece I instantly remembered watching him on the news at the time. I of course did not remember that was Mueller.

I took a look at the Wikipedia page and it's amazing to see the names of people who missed the flight. John Lyndon, known as Johnny Rotten, lead singer of the Sex Pistols, missed the flight with his wife because they were delayed when she had issues packing. The Four Tops missed the flight because they slept in, having performed at Top of the Pops the night before. Mats Wilander, #1 ranked tennis player in the world at the time, missed the flight. Kim Cattrall was booked on the flight, but decided to do some last-minute shopping for gifts in London.

Mueller sure has been involved in history. This investigation will be another historical event.

I just saw a suggestion that the subpoena may have been issued and served some time ago and we are just hearing about it now, because the Mueller team does not leak information. The Trump organization issued a statement repeating that they are fully cooperating with Mueller.

When was it that Trump was supposed to have wanted to fire Mueller?

6 minutes ago, Fragile Bird said:

I just saw a suggestion that the subpoena may have been issued and served some time ago and we are just hearing about it now, because the Mueller team does not leak information. The Trump organization issued a statement repeating that they are fully cooperating with Mueller.

When was it that Trump was supposed to have wanted to fire Mueller?

The article says "In the subpoena, delivered in recent weeks, Mr. Mueller ordered the Trump Organization..." so it would seem it wasn't just today or yesterday, but still pretty recently.  It is however a good indication that if Trump were going to fire Mueller for this, he would have already done so, since he had to know it before today. 

22 minutes ago, Maithanet said:

The article says "In the subpoena, delivered in recent weeks, Mr. Mueller ordered the Trump Organization..." so it would seem it wasn't just today or yesterday, but still pretty recently.  It is however a good indication that if Trump were going to fire Mueller for this, he would have already done so, since he had to know it before today. 

Thanks, missed that!

54 minutes ago, Maithanet said:

From what I understand, and it's all only fairly recently being described, subpoenas are still meant to assume good faith. Organisations are given some time to comply. My guess is that Trump wants to use this time to destroy any records of his criminal activity, whereas his legal time (idiots though they are) are probably trying to figure out how to either find some way of excluding documents on a technicality or spin their existence as nothing unusual.

5 hours ago, Kalbear said:

I think it's a bit of both. Russia has long seen Britain as toothless and weak, and likes to continue to show them how weak they are by doing somewhat outrageous things and daring Britain to do something meaningful - and Britain has so far failed. . 

We’re weak? At least we don’t have a Russian asset as leader.

3 hours ago, Mexal said:

The key phrase is "including some related to Russia." I've said for a long time that it's unlikely that they'll ever find a smoking gun for Trump himself (though I'm sure they already have several for others), but they will absolutely find all kinds of illegal activities in Trump's business that will be tied directly to him. If Trump gets impeached over this investigation, it will be because Mueller found evidence of money laundering, among other things. 

Well I saw this earlier, but it was just speculation. Now it's become official:

Vanessa Trump filed for divorce from her husband, Donald Trump Jr., on Thursday afternoon, according to multiple reports

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/vanessa-trump-donald-trump-jr-divorce-filing_us_5aaae310e4b05b2217fd533c

*Backs away while whispering, "Take a hint Melania."* 

3 minutes ago, Pony Queen Jace said:

I'd say that's below the belt but I don't think the Great Leader wants us talking to you guys anymore :(

He doesn't want us giving them a heads up if he decides to nuke Europe, like he said he might do during the campaign.

You've been warned, Eurocommies! Fortify your countries!   

Archived