What is with the sudden explosion of space TV shows being produced? Should HBO jump on this train?

NickGOT456

1 hour ago, Zorral said:

what a bunch of shit from the exec - even disregarding the awful choice of words. No one is making HBO make either show and I very much doubt they'd make anything for a loss. Boo Hoo that making a spin off of the most successful show on TV will cost a lot - I'm sure there's a queue of other networks who'd gladly fund a spin-off. Same with Big Little Lies - unless that show magically costs more to make than it earns then don't make it.

7 hours ago, NickGOT456 said:

They have Westworld. I think they are developing "foundation" and I'm sure at one point they were interested in "Hyperion".

The other big factor is all the shows in question are in development and not yet proven hits (obviously star wars will be a hit - at least for a season). Star Trek: Discovery has done well but it's probably only outdone by Star Wars in terms of brand recognition. It also had the TFA style factor of being the first Trek show in over a decade to air. So HBO are maybe being sensibly cautious to see whether there's a market for Space-based shows.  I hope there is and I'd take notice of anything HBO would take a stab at.

The other factor around the sudden explosion could be down to entertainment cycle. In the late 90s early 2000s there were a lot of space shows airing. It's been a while since their popularity waned and it's simply time for their return. Add to the fact that there's probably a lot of people now working in the entertainment industry who were probably film/writing students back in the era these space shows were on and now they get a chance at bringing them back.

I'm all for it - I've been waiting over a decade for these shows to come back.

3 hours ago, Calibandar said:

I wonder where they are with the Foundation adaptation, haven't heard news in a long while.

AFAIK, HBO isn't involved anymore:

http://deadline.com/2017/06/foundation-isaac-asimov-skydance-television-series-deal-david-goyer-josh-friedman-science-fiction-star-wars-1202120701/

And I still say this focus group sucks.

5 hours ago, matt b said:

Ha - I was wondering whether this was the same poster who asks "what's the next [insert genre] big thing?" etc fairly frequently. But I couldn't resist replying to Zorral's quote.

1 hour ago, red snow said:

Ha - I was wondering whether this was the same poster who asks "what's the next [insert genre] big thing?" etc fairly frequently. But I couldn't resist replying to Zorral's quote.

You were aware, naturally, that the word choice of 'rape' is because there are quite a few reviewers and watchers who have characterized HBO as rapey -- and not only because of GOT, which indeed is pretty rapey!

1 hour ago, Zorral said:

You were aware, naturally, that the word choice of 'rape' is because there are quite a few reviewers and watchers who have characterized HBO as rapey -- and not only because of GOT, which indeed is pretty rapey!

To the point that HBO execs pay tribute to this notion??? Weird.

• 4 weeks later...
On 11/04/2018 at 10:08 AM, Loge said:

Not sure what to make of this. I don't think the stories appeal to a general audience.

I don't think the stories appeal to an audience full stop. More than any other "classic" SF series (apart maybe from Lensmen), Foundation is a badly, badly-written, characterless and sexist series rooted in a dubious central premise and shitty worldbuilding (no AI at all in this million-planet star empire, Isaac? Really?) which has its place in genre history solely from nostalgia.

On 3/13/2018 at 9:02 AM, NickGOT456 said:

I am someone who absolutely loves Iain Banks' Culture novels. From the above it seems that Dennis Kelly feels the same way. The problem is that there is so much to fuck up when whoever is providing the money decides that certain aspects of the books need to be changed. I do hope it works out but I am not holding my breath. 

Archived