Anyone else getting the feeling Bran is going to fall from a really tall height?

Varysblackfyre321

No . . . it's symbolic, falling and shattering (as per Old Nan's story) is what happens if his mind can't handle the greenseering.

Like how Varamyr recounts Haldon talking about skinchangers who took birds and probably what happened to Euron in his youth.

Consider also how GRRM deviated in the Varamyr prologue to talk about the psychological impact of a child being in something's skin when it is killed. Probably something Bran is skinchanging is going to die and it is going to take a heavy toll.

Maybe Arya too but the imagery seems concentrated in Bran's arc.

8 hours ago, chrisdaw said:

Maybe Arya too but the imagery seems concentrated in Bran's arc.

I doubt that Arya would suffer much psychological damage. She took to seeing out of the cat's eyes pretty well, and almost immediately began to exploit it. I'm sure she's realizing that her "wolf dreams" are no dreams, but are rides in Nymeria's skin. Varamir (he chose himself a great name, btw) observed how unnatural it felt to warg a feline - but it was no problem for Arya, who had more frequent encounters with cats than the wildling.

If an animal that Arya was "riding" died, I suspect the shock would give her a little more empathy about death and killing, and thus act to "de-traumatize" her, in a sense. I know this sounds crazy.

Arya is a really strong character, and the horrors she's been through have strengthened her will even more. The will to revenge is still a major driver for her, much like the Hound, but it's a more effective and useful motivation than simply huddling down and crying "poor me!" Recall how the Hound wouldn't permit her to do that.

I think Bran already had his fall. The hints I've picked up on seem to focus on Griff / Aegon falling, probably from The Wall.

When the death of baby Aegon is described, we are always told that his brains were dashed out against a wall. Together with the Aegon = egg = Humpty Dumpty allusion, I suspect there is foreshadowing about his eventual demise in this image.

17 hours ago, Varysblackfyre321 said:

And take that as his flying moment? You know just fall with style. I got this feeling ever since reading Jeyne Poole saying "we flew" when they fell from the walls of winterfell to get away. 

Spoiler alert: 

Spoiler

Bran falls in the first book. it is a major part of his story and major plot point that sets many things in motion 

18 hours ago, Varysblackfyre321 said:

And take that as his flying moment? You know just fall with style. I got this feeling ever since reading Jeyne Poole saying "we flew" when they fell from the walls of winterfell to get away. 

Unless it's from the back of a dragon, I don't see it happening.

20 minutes ago, John Suburbs said:

Unless it's from the back of a dragon, I don't see it happening.

I always found the thought of Brann flying through the use of a dragon rather whimsical. Like, it's something too good for him to have. Like bloodraven. The man was supposed to be a kindly old wizard, instead he's monster.

19 hours ago, Varysblackfyre321 said:

That's funny. I had always assumed that when Bran is told he "will fly", it had nothing to do with falling, but instead meant learning to enter the minds of birds, see through their eyes, and control them. As everyone has noted, Bran already fell.

3 hours ago, zandru said:

That's funny. I had always assumed that when Bran is told he "will fly", it had nothing to do with falling, but instead meant learning to enter the minds of birds, see through their eyes, and control them. As everyone has noted, Bran already fell.

Well yes, he fell. Doesn't mean he cannot fall again. I don't know I just think the idea of his "flying" being so anti-climatic as him just falling once more corresponds on what we've seen for when Bran ever really gets his hopes up for anything. "You'll be able to ride again" gets his saddle ripped and nearlly murdered by wildlings, "Theon's back" and he's come to take over Winterfel. "You're going to see a wizard", gets introduced to BR. 

18 hours ago, Varysblackfyre321 said:

Well yes, he fell. Doesn't mean he cannot fall again. I don't know I just think the idea of his "flying" being so anti-climatic as him just falling once more corresponds on what we've seen for when Bran ever really gets his hopes up for anything. "You'll be able to ride again" gets his saddle ripped and nearlly murdered by wildlings, "Theon's back" and he's come to take over Winterfel. "You're going to see a wizard", gets introduced to BR. 

Fall down seven times, get up eight times. It's what a hero is made of.

11 hours ago, Lord Lannister said:

Every flight begins with a fall.

This. Bran has done his fall, now he can learn to fly. I'm betting on a dragon for Bran, on the grounds that he's one of the very few characters small enough to be carried by Dany's babies.

4 hours ago, Springwatch said:

Fall down seven times, get up eight times. It's what a hero is made of.

This. Bran has done his fall, now he can learn to fly. I'm betting on a dragon for Bran, on the grounds that he's one of the very few characters small enough to be carried by Dany's babies.

Bran isn't a hero. Nor do I think that's where his story is really headed.  If warging into a creature that can fly is what the crow was referring to, why say Bran will never walk again? Clearly he would "walk" when warging into Summer as he would be flying if he warged into a dragon or bird no?

5 hours ago, zandru said:
17 hours ago, Lord Lannister said:

Every flight begins with a fall.

I wouldn't want you as my pilot. Nothing personal.

As in-story advice goes, that was relatively mild. How about this?

[Euron] "Perhaps we can fly. All of us. How will we ever know unless we leap from some tall tower? ... There is the window. Leap."

AFFC

Flying is a nice metaphor for power (winged wolves, winged lions etc), but Euron's metaphor seems to happen in a terribly literal way to quite a few characters:

Bran
Ashara (?)
Sansa (thought of jumping, but bottled it)
Lysa (let her fly!)
That guy that Arya had killed by Jaquen (?)
Penrose, who was holding Storm's End against Stannis

Maybe they all gained their mental wings on the way down. Who knows?  it's a training method with very few graduates.

1 hour ago, Varysblackfyre321 said:

Bran isn't a hero. Nor do I think that's where his story is really headed.  If warging into a creature that can fly is what the crow was referring to, why say Bran will never walk again? Clearly he would "walk" when warging into Summer as he would be flying if he warged into a dragon or bird no?

I don't see Bran fighting physically, no. And full-on dragon-warging may be impossible (though I'm sure Bloodraven would have a go). It's not the warging aspect I'm thinking of, so much as Bran sitting on the dragon's back, being literally lifted into the air. He only needs a similar level of bonding as a Targ would achieve.

The crow has got be using 'walk' and 'fly' with different meanings. Bran has 'walked' in Summer, and been carried by Hodor, so the only sense in which he has not walked is by re-gaining the use of his legs. That makes three ways of walking. The three ways of flying would have to be warging a crow, being carried by a dragon, and growing a pair of fluffy wings. Which is definitely not happening.

2 hours ago, Springwatch said:

As in-story advice goes, that was relatively mild. How about this?

Flying is a nice metaphor for power (winged wolves, winged lions etc), but Euron's metaphor seems to happen in a terribly literal way to quite a few characters:

Bran
Ashara (?)
Sansa (thought of jumping, but bottled it)
Lysa (let her fly!)
That guy that Arya had killed by Jaquen (?)
Penrose, who was holding Storm's End against Stannis

Maybe they all gained their mental wings on the way down. Who knows?  it's a training method with very few graduates.

Theon and Jeynee Poole as well as the spearwives "flew" in Jeyne's words away from the Boltons.

Archived