I've been meaning to get back to this. I hope these remaining thoughts will be useful in identifying other characters who fit into the rainbow symbolism but who are not explicitly identified as members of the rainbow guard. I'll provide a few examples as we go along. Flowers, birds As indicated in the title, there are a number of associations between members of the rainbow guard and elements of nature. If you haven't reviewed the wiki summary about the rainbow guard members, you might want to refresh your memory at that link before proceeding. The sigils of five of the seven guards feature flowers and birds: gold roses (Tyrell), sunflowers (Cuy), nightingales (Caron), a crow (Morrigen) and cranes (Crane). The two outliers are Royce and Tarth: the primary element of the Royce sigil is runes and Brienne's family sigil is suns and crescent moons. Fruit The fruit associations with the rainbow guards are not always as clear as the flowers and birds, but I think they are deliberate. I mentioned earlier that Lord Bryce Caron was the orange guard and that he is killed by Ser Philip Foote. A color is not necessarily the same thing as a fruit, even with the same name, but the books contain numerous examples of oranges (fruit) and feet in the same image or paragraph. So I think it's safe to say that the color and fruit are intended to be part of the same motif. I found this orange fruit example featuring a royal guard after my earlier orange / foot comment: . . . the crowd was throwing things . . . Others farther back let fly with lemons, limes and oranges, crying "War! War! To the spears!" One of the guards was hit in the eye with a lemon, and the captain himself had an orange splatter off his foot. AFfC, The Captain of the Guards (Areo Hotah) The weaponizing of fruit may be worth exploring in connection with guards, or it might need a whole discussion of its own. We see Arya throw an orange at Sansa just before the Stark family is shattered by the accusations against Ned and the ensuing actions against the Stark children. Ser Dontos beats Sansa over the head with a melon "morningstar" in an unsuccessful effort to divert Joffrey from ordering a more brutal attack. Aerys had specified that his wild fire grenades should be made in the shape of fruits. Arya eats a stolen fruit tart in the chapter where the Weasel Soup will lead to an apparent overthrow of the occupation at Harrenhal. Back to the rainbow guard: Bryce Caron is present when Renly offers Stannis the peach from Highgarden but then eats the peach himself after Stannis declines the offer. Although I haven't taken a close look, I can't shake the hunch that Renly biting the peach in ACoK is linked to Biter biting Brienne's cheek in ADwD. After the cannibal has taken a bite off of Brienne's face, Renly look-alike Gendry kills Biter with the sword he has made. Instead of Brienne saving the king, the king saves the guard? Lemons are not explicitly mentioned in connection with the rainbow guard, but there is indirect evidence of a link. Renly's yellow guard is Ser Emmon Cuy. As others have pointed out, his first name rhymes with lemon. There are two other Emmons in the books: Emmon Frey, a supporter of the Lannisters, and Duram Bar Emmon, a supporter of Stannis. . . . Cersei took a sip: water, mixed with lemon squeezings, so tart she spit it out. . . . She took another swallow of lemon water and sloshed it round her mouth to freshen her breath. A moth had gotten into the lantern Ser Boros was holding; she could hear it buzzing and see the shadow of its wings as it beat against the glass. . . . Ser Loras might be as pretty as a maiden's dream, but underneath his white cloak he was Tyrell to the bone. For all she knew, this night's foul fruit had been planted and nurtured in Highgarden. AFfC, Cersei I "If you are unhappy with the arrangements, go to King's Landing and take it up with my sweet sister." Cersei would devour Emmon Frey and pick her teeth with his bones. AFfC, Jaime VII Lord Emmon rubbed his mouth His hand came away red and slimy from the sourleaf. AFfC, Jaime VII So we have a passage with a fairly direct connection between lemon (that Cersei considers undrinkable), a bug and a member of the Rainbow Guard. Soon, an Emmon is mentioned in connection with Cersei's oral hygiene and the same Emmon is described as having a red mouth. So the links are there to be followed, although GRRM is indirect in his use of the lemons and the Rainbow Guard motif. Young Lord Bar Emmon is described but does not have much of a presence in the story so far. His sigil, however, is a swordfish and he contributes the use of a ship called Swordfish to the fleet Stannis assembles for the Battle of the Blackwater. Davos describes the role of the  Swordfish this way: With a grinding, splintering, tearing crash, Swordfish split the rotted hulk asunder. She burst like an overripe fruit, but no fruit had ever screamed that shattering wooden scream. From inside her Davos saw green gushing from a thousand broken jars, poison from the entrails of a dying beast. ACoK, Davos III It is Bar Emmon's ship that releases the wild fire on the waters, playing a key role in dooming the fleet and thousands of sailors to a fiery death. The fruit analogy is explicit here and we all recall that wild fire is often contained in fruit-shaped jars. Of course, this forum seems unanimous in the belief that Lem Lemoncloak is a pseudonym for Ser Richard Lonmouth, a former squire for Rhaegar Targaryen. I would think that yellow cloak has to be a deliberate allusion to the yellow cloak of Renly's guard. This would also confirm the lemon / mouth connection in the other excerpts. Ser Parmen Crane (purple) of the Rainbow Guard wears plums on his surcoat. He is a mysterious presence and seems to be a prisoner of war soon after joining the supporters of Stannis. As I mentioned earlier, I believe plums are linked to pregnancy symbolism. Three or four fruits might not seem like a strong motif, considering there are seven members of the Rainbow Guard and that the peach is associated with Renly more than with his guard. In examining mentions of Rainbow Guard members in the books, however, they are often found juxtaposed with members of House Redwyne and the two Fossoway houses, associated with grapes / wine and apples. If you're like me, and you get a kick out of following symbolic links to great lengths, here's another convoluted fruit / guard link. (If you don't believe the books contain complex symbols, skip this list.) The Seven Swords Inn in Duskendale is named for seven members of House Darklyn who served in the king's guard, contributing more king's guard members over the years than any other House. The Darklyns were wiped out after the Defiance of Duskendale, when the Darklyn's took King Aerys hostage for a year. Not guard-like behavior. The sole "survivor" of the Defiance of Duskendale was Dontos Hollard, spared by request of a lord commander of the king's guard, Ser Barristan. To help protect Sansa, Ser Dontos hit her with a ripe melon that he used as if it were a morningstar weapon. (When Arya hit Sansa with a piece of fruit earlier in the books, she mockingly called Sansa, "Your Grace.") Brienne hit Ser Loras over the head with a morningstar in the melee to earn the reward of joining Renly's Rainbow Guard. Ser Loras was Lord Commander of the Rainbow Guard. The blue cloak given to Brienne was one that Renly had hoped to give to Ser Barristan. In the common room of the Seven Swords Inn, the painter (sister of a captain of the guards) brings Brienne her repainted shield with the sigil of Ser Duncan the Tall, a lord commander of the king's guard. Bugs As I got deeper into exploration of the key words and symbols associated with the Rainbow Guard, I realized that the bug imagery is mostly linked to Parmen Crane through the use of the verb "to crane," as in craning one's neck and cranes used for hauling things to the top of the Wall: Cranes stood sentry up there, like the skeleton of great birds, and among them walked men in black as small as ants. AGoT, Jon III If he craned his neck out as far as it could go, he could see other cells to his right and left and above him. He was a bee in a stone honeycomb, and someone had torn off his wings. AGoT, Tyrion V Catelyn spied . . . Fossoway apples red and green, Lord Tarly's striding huntsman, oak leaves for Oakheart, cranes for Crane, a cloud of black-and-orange butterflies for the Mullendores. .  . hedge knights and free riders who had come swarming to make Renly Baratheon a king in fact as well as name. ACoK, Catelyn II But the word "crane" is often used in association with dragons in the text, as well as bugs. I suspect the crane link to dragons is because of the purple and indigo eyes of the Targaryens. Recall that indigo is associated with House Mallister, the sigil of which is an eagle, and dragons are also described in terms of eagles. Thrice that day she caught sight of Drogon. Once he was so far off that he might have been an eagle, slipping in and out of distant clouds. ADwD, Dany X The dragons craned their necks around. ADwD, Dany VIII She watched his head crane around at the end of that long serpentine neck, saw his black wings unfold. ADwD, Dany IX Quentyn . . . craned his neck back. ADwD, The Dragontamer Of course, as I tried to get to the end of the symbols associated with the Rainbow Guard, I discovered new things - word play possibilities, for instance. The author also seems to use colors in deliberate pairs - a lot of red and yellow pairings and some green and yellow. In addition to Lem Lemoncloak, there are "rainbow characters" such as the Blue Bard, Merry Crane, Greenbeard (a Tyroshi member of the Brotherhood without Banners), Brown Ben Plumm and possibly Ser Morgarth and Ser Shadrich, each of whom echoes some aspect of Renly's original seven. There are also a lot of new ways of looking at "green characters" in association with the Garth Greenhand legend and the green middle of the rainbow guard. When "Renly" kills Ser Guyard Morrigen at the Battle of the Blackwater, I believe Renly's Ghost may take on the role of a green guard character who reappears in the guise of minor characters throughout the books. If I can come up with some coherent thoughts, I may flesh out some of these ideas later.