US Politics: The Ides of Mueller

Paladin of Ice

oh for fuck's sake

http://www.courant.com/politics/hc-pol-higbie-trump-surrogate-20180315-story.html
higbie is back, now as director of advocacy (basically a trump mouthpeice) for 'america first policies', a dark money, 501(c)(4) non profit arm of the eponymous pac

4 hours ago, GAROVORKIN said:

Learn to multiquote - m

And the three ring circus continues.

I was merely asking Doom what he thought on the issue. That's all.

No Im not trying to Godwin this thread.  I  was just asking a question. 

In some cases they do apply the death penalty to murders .  Drug dealers do sell substances that can cause people to die, opioids, heron , cocaine being examples of those substances. 

Gun dealers sell substances that cause people do die. When do they get put out of business?

43 minutes ago, maarsen said:

Gun dealers sell substances that cause people do die. When do they get put out of business?

I think there are a lot of people who would like to see the car salesman who sold them a lemon get the guillotine.  

Jokes aside, I meant to mention this before. Does anyone think it’s possible that the main motivation for Trump reshaping his cabinet is so that he can fire Sessions? Firing him on his own would look super suspicious, but if he if five other people go at the same time he can claim that he’s just overhauling the entire cabinet.  

12 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

Jokes aside, I meant to mention this before. Does anyone think it’s possible that the main motivation for Trump reshaping his cabinet is so that he can fire Sessions? Firing him on his own would look super suspicious, but if he if five other people go at the same time he can claim that he’s just overhauling the entire cabinet.  

Regardless of whether it's the strategy or not, Sessions stands out like a sore thumb as the only guy remaining who Trump dislikes.  Trump wouldn't dare try to get a new AG confirmed, instead he'll appoint someone already confirmed to sidestep the Senate.  Word is that Pruitt is angling for a job, although nobody really knows if Trump is ready to get rid of Sessions or not. 

Some words of kindness for Rex Tillerson 

+ I mourn Rexxon’s passing. He was the least lethal Secretary of State of my lifetime. Tillerson was no Kissinger, Haig, Powell, Clinton or Albright and that was fine by me. Even though he was the former CEO of Exxon, Rex fought to save the Paris Accords. He stood up to Israel and the Saudis on Iran. He quashed McMaster’s “bloody nose” plan for North Korea. And he outed his boss as a “fucking moron,” and never apologized.

https://www.counterpunch.org/2018/03/16/roaming-charges-rexless-abandon/

1 hour ago, Maithanet said:

Regardless of whether it's the strategy or not, Sessions stands out like a sore thumb as the only guy remaining who Trump dislikes.  Trump wouldn't dare try to get a new AG confirmed, instead he'll appoint someone already confirmed to sidestep the Senate.  Word is that Pruitt is angling for a job, although nobody really knows if Trump is ready to get rid of Sessions or not. 

I agree with the first part, but I disagree about Trump and Sessions. He’s been ready to can him. He’s just too meek to do it. We already know that Trump is afraid of firing people. I’m sure that gets magnified here because Trump knows that the backlash will be severe.

Tillerson also did damage to the State Department and America's soft power that may take a generation or more to repair. There were some not so bad bits mixed in with the horrible parts, but simply not being as horrible as Trump himself doesnt do much to stop me from saying "Good riddance."

16 hours ago, GAROVORKIN said:

Drug dealers come in all varieties Doom. What do you think should be done with Drug dealers in general  ?  They do sell  illicit harmful substances ruin and take lives. What do you think is a just punishment for anyone who engages in this sort of activity ? 

Personally, and not because I use currently illegal drugs, I think drug use, and sale, should be legalized.  Driving it underground certainly hasn't worked to keep it under control.

2 hours ago, Tywin et al. said:

An attempt at a Saturday Night Massacre, that doesn't look like a Saturday Night Massacre?  If his new AG fires Mueller its will be a stink, guaranteed.

11 minutes ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

An attempt at a Saturday Night Massacre, that doesn't look like a Saturday Night Massacre?  If his new AG fires Mueller its will be a stink, guaranteed.

Right, but I think that the smarter play (no guarantee for this administration) would be to replace Sessions with some lackey and who can demand that Mueller's investigation narrow it's scope dramatically.  While I'm sure that plenty of Democrats would still cry foul, I'm sure the outrage would be an order of magnitude less than firing Rosenstein and Mueller. 

Mueller wouldn't have a lot of recourse, other than to quit in protest, or potentially hand over as much of his investigation to the NY AG as possible.  Since a lot of the crimes we're talking about are either federal crimes or happened outside of NY, the investigation would be seriously hamstrung by such a move. 

8 minutes ago, Maithanet said:

Right, but I think that the smarter play (no guarantee for this administration) would be to replace Sessions with some lackey and who can demand that Mueller's investigation narrow it's scope dramatically.  While I'm sure that plenty of Democrats would still cry foul, I'm sure the outrage would be an order of magnitude less than firing Rosenstein and Mueller. 

Mueller wouldn't have a lot of recourse, other than to quit in protest, or potentially hand over as much of his investigation to the NY AG as possible.  Since a lot of the crimes we're talking about are either federal crimes or happened outside of NY, the investigation would be seriously hamstrung by such a move. 

Can the AG limit the scope of a special prosecutor’s investigation?  I really don’t know.

5 minutes ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

Can the AG limit the scope of a special prosecutor’s investigation?  I really don’t know.

Yes. They can limit the scope and reduce its funding, essentially nurturing it. Maith has the right of it. Smart legal experts have been saying that that’s the heady play, but ol’ ham hands probably wouldn’t go that route.

7 minutes ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

Yes.  The special council was appointed by the AG's office - in this case Rosenstein, and he determines the scope of the investigation.  Remember that the special council came about becuase Rosenstein felt that one was needed - it wasn't an act of Congress or a federal judge or something.  Mueller reports to Rosenstein because of Session's recusal, and if a new AG took over Mueller would report to him. 

3 hours ago, maarsen said:

When the 2nd amendment is revised so it no longer can be used as a rights issue.

Guiliani would do more than a blow job to get Sessions' job. Yes, still.

As for execution for those responsible for the drug trade out there that kills people: the insurance companies should be first in line, as they are the ones who pushed and demanded that oxy, etc. be prescribed instead because they were so much cheaper than more effective but more costly and time-consuming remedies for pain management such as physical therapies and instructional exercise, and even massage. 

Massage when done correctly is damned expensive -- and it's very hard work for the person performing it. And one has to keep doing it -- but one has to keep taking more and more of oxy, and instead of a single, well-trained hard working person receiving the financial benefit, Big Pharma does.  Which, one notices, does manufacture oxy, etc.

19 hours ago, Fez said:

Unfortunately looks like Trump is going to have some new ammo for the fake news fire.

https://www.propublica.org/article/cia-cables-detail-its-new-deputy-directors-role-in-torture

This is the primary source reporters have been relying on when talking about Gina Haspel.

On the plus side, it does mean that the nominee to be CIA Director was not directly overseeing torture operations; so that's nice.

She was, just not that one. 

The February 2017 ProPublica story did accurately report that Haspel later rose to a senior position at CIA headquarters, where she pushed her bosses to destroy the tapes of Zubaydah’s waterboarding. Her direct boss, the head of the agency’s Counterterrorism Center, ultimately signed the order to feed the 92 tapes into a shredder. Her actions in that instance, and in the waterboarding of al-Nashiri, are likely to be the focus of questions at her confirmation hearings.

Just now, Zorral said:

Guiliani would do more than a blow job to get Sessions' job. Yes, still.

But if Trump fires Sessions he is going to have a devil of a time getting anyone confirmed because Sessions is still very popular with Senate Republicans.  Trump would have little choice but to appoint someone who is already confirmed for a different job so he could avoid confirmation hearings.  Pruitt wants the AG job, but I'm not sure Trump wants him there. 

Also, what is the logic of if someone is already confirmed by the Senate for one job, they don't need to be confirmed for another job?  Isn't the point of confirmation to determine that the choice is qualified?  How does being qualified to run EPA mean that you can do the AG job? 

8 hours ago, GAROVORKIN said:

In some cases they do apply the death penalty to murders .  Drug dealers do sell substances that can cause people to die, opioids, heron , cocaine being examples of those substances. 

Who steps up to the guillotine first -- the drug dealers making pennies or those making billions? Or will there be different treatment? By what logic should we dispense state-sponsored murder of its own citizens?

https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2017/10/30/the-family-that-built-an-empire-of-pain

Archived