What happened to the Hill Tribes?

Euron's Mom

This I think is a question that's been bugging me since Season 4!

Tyrion gave them superior weapons, so they'd be a force against the Vale.  He even promised them the Vale.  Why did they let Sandor & Arya and Brienne & Podrick through unmolested?

If Littlefinger took the full force of the Vale's army into Winterfell, wouldn't this be a prime opportunity for the newly armed Hill Tribes to wreck havoc?

I found Shaga, Timmet, Chella, etc to be interesting and fun characters!

16 minutes ago, Euron's Mom said:

Tyrion gave them superior weapons, so they'd be a force against the Vale.  He even promised them the Vale.  Why did they let Sandor & Arya and Brienne & Podrick through unmolested?

If Littlefinger took the full force of the Vale's army into Winterfell, wouldn't this be a prime opportunity for the newly armed Hill Tribes to wreck havoc?

It's a book storyline that they started and then abandoned.

In the books:

Shagga took his tribe into the Kingswood and are still there. The theory is that Tyrion will re-recruit them to help in Daenerys' attack on King's Landing. Since the TV show has gone in a different direction, they're no longer relevant.

On 3/17/2018 at 11:24 AM, Euron's Mom said:

They aren’t as interesting in the show. Maybe they just happened not to be there when they were passing through? Also, for all we know the Knights of the Vale killed any tribesman they stumbled across.

On 3/28/2018 at 0:50 PM, Lost Melnibonean said:

As suggested above, it's a plot hole for the TV series. This is how it might play out in the books. Was Timett a character in the show? In the books, 

Reveal hidden contents

he might very well be the little Lord Arryn's true heir. 

Yes, but he’s not as impressive as in the books. He’s among the Hill Tribes he introduces to Tywin and later appears when Tyrion arrests Grand Maester Pycelle. Tyrion tells him to “cut off Pycelle’s manhood and feed it to the goats.” Timett responds “There are no goats, halfman!” Tyrion replies “Then make do!”

21 hours ago, Travis said:

I think if Tyrion lives, he will keep his word and give them the Vale. From the pics that were leaked, doesn't look good for the Knights of the Vale. Which would give the show the wiggle room to squeeze in the Hill Tribes.

What pictures are you talking about Travis?

In the BOOKS, which I thought this forum covered, the Vale still has a role to play and I would think the Vale mountain tribes would still come into the picture in some regard. Could be very minor. I am not expecting much only because there wasn't a big character from their ranks. If we as readers had been introduced to a Vale mountain tribesman or woman, shared their thoughts and travels, and they remained part of the story line, than I would think they would re-enter the plot line somewhere in the last two books.

I actually happen to be working on a fan fiction writing project which heavily involves the Vale mountain tribe, so hopefully what I am working on isn't completely rendered obsolete by whatever GRMM writes in the last 2 books!

On 03/30/2018 at 4:58 PM, Hammers1895 said:

What pictures are you talking about Travis?

Link

Among the shields are those bearing the Arryn's arms (which the show systematically confuses with "the Vale", as if the Vale had only one house… Bronze Yohn Royce is at Winterfell but we never see a Royce trooper…)

I just reread A Storm of Swords. Sandor and Arya had to abandon their journey to the Vale because Timett has made the high pass impossible to travel. I thought this was an interesting story development and was disappointed that the show did not follow up!

• 9 months later...
On 3/28/2018 at 12:50 PM, Lost Melnibonean said:

As suggested above, it's a plot hole for the TV series. This is how it might play out in the books. Was Timett a character in the show? In the books, 

Hide contents

he might very well be the little Lord Arryn's true heir. 

He shows up briefly in the show; for example, he’s the Vale Tribesman that Tyrion commands to “cut off [Pycelle’s] manhood and feed it to the goats”.

The last we heard, they were attacking, kidnapping and raping whatever they can in the passes. Thanks Imp. 

Oh and yes, when they take women and little girls from carriages, caravans and travel parties, it is rape as I doubt it is to take them off by camp fires and read them stories. (I don't think they can read up there in them hills.) 

• 2 weeks later...

Archived