Rickon's role to play

Rickon was abandoned by his family (as a young child would perceive) and here we have Rickon running with Freys, plundering (Greyjoys), racing around walls (Wildlings), tossing bones to pups in kennels (Boltons), and playing with wooden swords under Rodrik (remember Joff and Robb, so Lannisters).

Rickon will work traditional Stark enemies. I could argue that this might be good as holding grudges is not a good thing, but Bran’s comment leads me to believe in the more negative interpretation.

ACOK Bran I

. . . until Little Walder had smacked Rickon with the stick, square across his belly. Before Bran could blink, the black wolf was flying over the plank, there was blood in the water, the Walders were shrieking red murder, Rickon sat in the mud laughing, and Hodor came lumbering in shouting "Hodor! Hodor! Hodor!"

After that, oddly, Rickon decided he liked the Walders. They never played lord of the crossing again, but they played other games—monsters and maidens, rats and cats, come-into-my-castle, all sorts of things. With Rickon by their side, the Walders plundered the kitchens for pies and honeycombs, raced round the walls, tossed bones to the pups in the kennels, and trained with wooden swords under Ser Rodrik's sharp eye. Rickon even showed them the deep vaults under the earth where the stonemason was carving father's tomb. "You had no right!" Bran screamed at his brother when he heard. "That was our place, a Stark place!" But Rickon never cared.

Rickon is now a free folk.  He's the more savage version of the Starks.   Rickon will play an important role, If my theory holds and the wildlings end up getting control of the north.  Jon will most likely not come back.  At least not in the form of a man.  It will fall on Rickon to become king of the wildlings.  Rickon, king of the wildlings.  Jon, the wight.  And Bran, the greenseer.  What they have in common are their direwolves.  Doubt they will meet again in human form but they can still be a pack in their wolf form.

4 hours ago, Littlefinger's crewman said:

Davos is going to Skagos to find Rickon Stark in order to get Manderly's alliance. For what the Northeners know, if Davos is going to find Rickon and bring him back to the continent, the little Stark will be the Lord of Winterfell. Will finally Rickon get importance in ASOIAF?

Wil he play an important role?

What role will it be?

If he doesn't die, he will be the Lord of Winterfell and continue the Stark line. He's growing up wild and savage, and he'll be like the old Kings of Winter...which is exactly what the family needs to get re-established in the coming Long Night. Hey...House Stark was founded during the first Long Night. There's a kind of perfect parallelism to this.

3 hours ago, Aline de Gavrillac said:

He's the more savage version of the Starks.   [...]   It will fall on Rickon to become king of the wildlings.

Don't forget, Rickon now has Osha with him constantly. She's an older woman and a spearwife. If anyone could keep the little "wild wolf" in check, it would be Osha. She will be teaching him how to survive, to hunt, to move silently across the countryside, and maybe even the Old Tongue. I doubt that Skagos is the horror-show of cannibals that legends state. They'll have their own society with its own rules, probably not that different than the rest of the North. Rickon and Osha will fit themselves in and try to disappear among the population. Davos will need all of his smuggler cunning to find them.

If Rickon is to become "King of the Wildlings" ("champion" seems more accurate, judging by how they pick leaders), he'll have to return to mainland Westeros, at the least. Most like, they'll convince him and Osha to go to White Harbor, and where they go next depends on the news from Winterfell. Stannis was still moving towards the castle, at last read.

Rickon is my favorite Stark and like others have stated before the time skip was cancelled I expected big things from him. Now I'm not sure what will happen but I want Rickon to have Winterfell. My guess is Manderly marries him to his awesome granddaughter and uses him as a figurehead for now. But you have to remember what a Shaggy Dog story is so we may never see him again. On my first read having heard that George likes to subvert tropes I just knew Rickon was a subvert of a Shaggy Dog story I hope I was right it will take one heck of a piece of writing to get him there. Why I bet it would take more than 7years to write such a story.

10 hours ago, TPTWP Timett said:

I want Rickon to have Winterfell. My guess is Manderly marries him to his awesome granddaughter and uses him as a figurehead for now.

Me, too! Better the little Wild Wolf than Bastard-Lady Alayne-Sansa Lannister Baelish, or whatever she ends up as. Rickon will still be a little too young for an actual "marriage" - he was 3 in book 1, and is surely still well under 10.

10 hours ago, TPTWP Timett said:

I hope I was right it will take one heck of a piece of writing to get him there. Why I bet it would take more than 7years to write such a story.

Let's hope it's less!!!

17 hours ago, Lady Blizzardborn said:

If he doesn't die, he will be the Lord of Winterfell and continue the Stark line. He's growing up wild and savage, and he'll be like the old Kings of Winter...which is exactly what the family needs to get re-established in the coming Long Night. Hey...House Stark was founded during the first Long Night. There's a kind of perfect parallelism to this.

yes

42 minutes ago, SecretWeapon said:

He'll be the next KBTW at best. People who think Sansa isn't becoming LoW are cute

I'm still holding out for finding Robb's will that disinherits her... And, lest you argue that only a True King can name an heir or disinherit one, a Lord (and Robb was undoubtedly Lord of Winterfell after Ned died) can certainly determine who does or doesn't inherit his own property.

Jon will not take Bran or Rickon’s birthright even if Robb named him in his will (he did)

Bran can’t reproduce and probably would consider the Lord’s high seat irrelevant in comparison to what he will and has learned.

Rickon will be Heir to WF but will very likely hand it over to Lady Sansa the great imho (who may or may not acknowledge Robb’s will after all this lol)

This is simply guesses based off character’s individual motives/story 

I seem to be in a minority in my skepticism about Rickon. We see Shaggydog often opposed to the people at Winterfell, at Summer, at Greywind. As I recall, Shaggydog is the only wolf portrayed as at odds with the other wolves or other Starks. And then his green fire demon-eyes are mentioned repeatedly.

If anyone can site text hinting at a more positive future for Rickon, I'd be very interested in seeing it as I've clearly missed it. I'd like to see a happy future for Rickon (or as happy as anyone in Westeros is likely to get), but I just don't see anything pointing that way. 

AGOT Bran IV

Summer snatched table scraps from Bran's hand, while Grey Wind and Shaggydog fought over a bone in the corner. Winterfell's dogs would not come near the hall now. Bran had found that strange at first, but he was growing used to it.

AGOT Bran VI

His baby brother had been wild as a winter storm since he learned Robb was riding off to war, weeping and angry by turns. He'd refused to eat, cried and screamed for most of a night, even punched Old Nan when she tried to sing him to sleep, and the next day he'd vanished. Robb had set half the castle searching for him, and when at last they'd found him down in the crypts, Rickon had slashed at them with a rusted iron sword he'd snatched from a dead king's hand, and Shaggydog had come slavering out of the darkness like a green-eyed demon. The wolf was near as wild as Rickon; he'd bitten Gage on the arm and torn a chunk of flesh from Mikken's thigh. It had taken Robb himself and Grey Wind to bring him to bay. Farlen had the black wolf chained up in the kennels now, and Rickon cried all the more for being without him.

Bran watched from his window seat. Wherever the boy went, Grey Wind was there first, loping ahead to cut him off, until Rickon saw him, screamed in delight, and went pelting off in another direction. Shaggydog ran at his heels, spinning and snapping if the other wolves came too close. His fur had darkened until he was all black, and his eyes were green fire. Bran's Summer came last. He was silver and smoke, with eyes of yellow gold that saw all there was to see. Smaller than Grey Wind, and more wary. Bran thought he was the smartest of the litter. He could hear his brother's breathless laughter as Rickon dashed across the hard-packed earth on little baby legs.

Robb had been holding his breath. He let it out with a sigh and called, "Grey Wind." His direwolf moved to him, swift and silent. Now there was only Shaggy dog, rumbling at the small man, his eyes burning like green fire.

AGOT Bran VII

The darkness sprang at him, snarling.

Bran saw eyes like green fire, a flash of teeth, fur as black as the pit around them. Maester Luwin yelled and threw up his hands. The torch went flying from his fingers, caromed off the stone face of Brandon Stark, and tumbled to the statue's feet, the flames licking up his legs. In the drunken shifting torchlight, they saw Luwin struggling with the direwolf, beating at his muzzle with one hand while the jaws closed on the other.

"Summer!" Bran screamed.

And Summer came, shooting from the dimness behind them, a leaping shadow. He slammed into Shaggydog and knocked him back, and the two direwolves rolled over and over in a tangle of grey and black fur, snapping and biting at each other, while Maester Luwin struggled to his knees, his arm torn and bloody. Osha propped Bran up against Lord Rickard's stone wolf as she hurried to assist the maester. In the light of the guttering torch, shadow wolves twenty feet tall fought on the wall and roof.

"Shaggy," a small voice called. When Bran looked up, his little brother was standing in the mouth of Father's tomb. With one final snap at Summer's face, Shaggydog broke off and bounded to Rickon's side. "You let my father be," Rickon warned Luwin. "You let him be."

"Bran," the maester said firmly, "I know you mean well, but Shaggydog is too wild to run loose. I'm the third man he's savaged. Give him the freedom of the castle and it's only a question of time before he kills someone. The truth is hard, but the wolf has to be chained, or …" He hesitated.

ACOK Bran I

"That was Shaggydog." Rickon's big black wolf was so wild he even frightened Bran at times. "Summer never bit anyone."

ACOK Bran II

No sooner had Hodor entered the godswood than Summer emerged from under an oak, almost as if he had known they were coming. Bran glimpsed a lean black shape watching from the undergrowth as well. "Shaggy," he called. "Here, Shaggydog. To me." But Rickon's wolf vanished as swiftly as he'd appeared.

Then he was asked if Rickon would ever get a chapter, and Martin said that the only thing worse than writing an 8-year-old (Bran) would be writing a rabid 4-year-old. He did say that "perhaps" Rickon will have "days in the sun" when he grows up a little, but that we shouldn't expect viewpoint chapters from a 4-year-old. He also said that if he'd stuck with the 5 year gap, Rickon might have been more feasible in that role.

http://www.westeros.org/Citadel/SSM/Month/2005/11

2 minutes ago, kissdbyfire said:

Then he was asked if Rickon would ever get a chapter, and Martin said that the only thing worse than writing an 8-year-old (Bran) would be writing a rabid 4-year-old. He did say that "perhaps" Rickon will have "days in the sun" when he grows up a little, but that we shouldn't expect viewpoint chapters from a 4-year-old. He also said that if he'd stuck with the 5 year gap, Rickon might have been more feasible in that role.

http://www.westeros.org/Citadel/SSM/Month/2005/11

This is kind of vague for me and could go any number of ways. Days in the sun could mean something like happiness, heroism or whatnot, but it could also mean power, prominence or the like. Power and prominence could be good or bad. 

GRRM calling Rickon rabid doesn't sound good to me. It's typically not used as a compliment. 

12 minutes ago, Lollygag said:

This is kind of vague for me and could go any number of ways. Days in the sun could mean something like happiness, heroism or whatnot, but it could also mean power, prominence or the like. Power and prominence could be good or bad. 

GRRM calling Rickon rabid doesn't sound good to me. It's typically not used as a compliment. 

It is vague, yes. But given the topic I thought I'd share. :dunno:

Archived