U.S. Politics: The Ideas of Mueller

A True Kaniggit

21 hours ago, The Great Unwashed said:

I mostly agree with your point here, but (without intending to re-litigate the 2016 elections yet again) I think there's a valid counterpoint to be made that, while those are in fact bigger issues, none of them are issues over which Democrats have direct control, or even over which they have more than the smallest bit of influence.

The Democratic Patry does have some indirect control, and certainly has a great deal of influence, over who both the rank-and-file voters and the big-wigs choose to represent them in an election year. My personal belief is that Clinton would have gotten creamed in the general by any of the other serious Republican contenders for the nomination, with perhaps the exception of Cruz. I think we're actually very lucky that Trump won the nomination, because I think anyone else would have had longer coattails downballot.

So, going forward, Democrats need to exercise influence over those areas they are able to influence, and just roll with those other areas over which they don't have control.

I get that it seems that the Democratic Party could bungle a piss up in a brewery.

And I also get and agree that the Democratic Party better step up its game and learn how to start playing for keeps because the Republican Party is playing for keeps.

And I don’t think the Republican Party will change easily, given the the policy aims of its donor class who are playing to win, and the fact the Republican Party is beholden to a plethora of bullshit artist, cranks, and charlatans who are making oodles of cash sellin’ the true conservatism and aren’t likely to willingly get off that gravy train anytime soon. And the only way the Republican Party will change is when it fears the wrath of voters and the public more than its donor class and the wingnuts.

But acknowledging that the Democratic Party needs to step up its game and do better, isn’t quite the same thing as saying as it is primarily at fault.

If the Others are threatening you and everyone else, there is no doubt, you’d better get your shit together, if you are going to survive. But even acknowledging that, the real source of the problem is still the Others*.

* Please if you're an Other or the Night's King, don’t sue me for comparing you to the Republican Party or Trump. I was only making a comparison, and did not mean to recklessly besmirch the character of the Others or the Night's King by saying they are exactly like the Republican Party or Trump.

10 hours ago, Pony Queen Jace said:

So what is it exactly the Breitbarts want? I mean besides the 4th Reich, what about this spending bill upsets them so?

Looking at the comments, they don’t like that there was no wall, the worsening of the deficit, 500 million for planned parenthood and Schumers tunnel (???). 

The various blowhards and pundits on Trumps signing the spending bill:

Poor baby,  :bawl:

RUSH: I don’t like this. I don’t like the way I’m feeling right now. And I try to be a guy governed by my thoughts, but I’m not liking the way I’m feeling. I’m feeling like I just saw Donald Trump get on the escalator and go back up.

Srsly, the conceit that someone would want to have him as a hostage:   :ack:

Mike Huckabee:  I hope if I’m ever held hostage that the GOP won’t be negotiating for my release.  Given their failure with this Omni-BS spending orgy they would pay the terrorists more than they demanded and then shoot me themselves! God help us! #DefundPlannedParenthood

Mean girl just tellin' it like it is:   :angry:

Ann Coulter:  “ I will never sign another bill like this again”  Yeah, because you’ll be impeached.   CONGRATULATIONS, PRESIDENT SCHUMER!

Please let this be so:  :tantrum:

Laura Ingraham;   Missed opportunity by @realDonaldTrump by signing this spending bill. If he loses the House, Dems will go straight to impeachment. 

James Woods has a sad:   :frown5:

The Democrats gave you the rope, Mr. President, and you just hanged yourself with it. #ByeByeGOP2018

The Drudge Report got faked out:    :dunce:

"FAKE VETO."

O_o, someone used the 'c' word:        :rofl:

Erick Erickson:   Well Trump really cucked up. First he threatened to veto it because it didn’t contain amnesty, then signed the largest single spending bill ever passed by a Congress in the history of the republic. And caved on border funding.

Popcorn goes so well with bitter tears, enjoy it while it lasts.  

1 hour ago, ants said:

Looking at the comments, they don’t like that there was no wall, the worsening of the deficit, 500 million for planned parenthood and Schumers tunnel (???). 

Schumer's tunnel refers to the Gateway Project, a new commuter train tunnel between New Jersey and New York. Early in Obama's first term one of his first priorities was creating a new such tunnel, as the pair currently in use are 100 years old, badly outdated, and barely have the capacity to keep up with demand now, let alone if population and demand continue to grow. Chris Christie, showing his unique vision, wisdom, and typical shit for brains approach, pulled Jersey out of the project in 2010, (thus cancelling it) talking about the fears of cost overruns the state's lack of funding ability... despite the fact that the Feds were footing almost the entire bill, and something like half a million Jersey residents need to commute to NYC for work, and Christie should have been doing everything he could to keep that rolling along instead of putting it in danger. (Christie then turned around and tried to use the money Jersey had been granted by the Feds to do repair work for other infrastructure in the state, which he couldn't pay for because he refused to change the taxes meant to pay for it. However, because the money had been legally set to be used for only the tunnel project, he eventually had to take a flying leap and surrender that money back to the Feds. So much for that bright idea.)

Wouldn't you know it, almost exactly 2 years later Hurricane Sandy barrels into the region and one of the big things it does is beat the everloving shit out of one of those outdated, 100 year old rail tunnels, crippling it to the point that it couldn't function. So instead of two tunnels where one side could run trains going from NJ to NY all day, and the other side could run trains going from NY to NJ all day, that left one that had to do both. And remember how I said that with two they were barely able to keep up with demand? Now picture the situation for commuters with it down to one.

This was the start of acute misery for those half a million people or so living in NJ who had to commute to NY for work, and instead of having a brand new tunnel at least underway and maybe ready to take over the slack after a few years, (initial estimates were that the tunnel would be finished sometime in 2018, although with a massive construction project one should never believe those initial estimates) New Jersey had nothing. Christie instead had essentially beg NY and the Feds to start a new project and leave Jersey to have to pay for more of it than they did with the old project he had cancelled. (Also, Christie is damn lucky his reelection came before the full pain of that decision was felt and while he still had some popularity from handling Sandy left, if the election was a year later Christie would have suffered one of most humiliating defeats of all time.)

On top of that, the old tunnels are nearing the end of their lives and suffering from increasing problems, as a result of Sandy and the natural result of increasing problems due to age and overuse. (And what passes for Republican leadership.) As it is, sometime in the next decade or two those tunnels are estimated to reach the end of their useful life. So every time Trump wants to threaten Schumer he threatens to do something to the Gateway Project and hold up or cancel funding for it even more than the Feds are holding it up now. And the Breitbart crowd, basically being duped morons and the personification of the American id, love the idea of hurting New York in anyway possible, so they cheer every time it happens and imagine themselves feasting on liberal tears, because today's conservatives don't give a shit about anything except hurting the other side. So the fact that they got denied liberal tears is making them pout and throw a tantrum.

1 minute ago, Martell Spy said:

In response, McCain said, "That old, eh, that old Beach Boys song, Bomb Iran" — which elicited laughter from the crowd. McCain then chuckled before briefly singing — to the tune of the chorus of the Beach Boys' classic "Barbara Ann" — "Bomb, bomb, bomb, bomb, anyway, ah ...."

I'm sure Bolton knows that tune all to well.

What I do not understand is all the Republicans and Conservative kvetching of the amount of spending is Trump was talking about DACA and The Wall in his tantrum. I am fairly certain the guy on Morning Beneficiation of Glorious Trump for Again Make America Great was also talking of the budget and that was not Trump concern.

Also I do not understand Trump on saying the Democrats abandoning the Dreamers. I know the Democrats been horrible yet Trump does not appear to understand the problem is of his own making. It can also be brought up that this is what the Democrats got hammered on back in January. This feel just like stray observation for there is no real reason why for this.

10 minutes ago, TheKitttenGuard said:

What I do not understand is all the Republicans and Conservative kvetching of the amount of spending is Trump was talking about DACA and The Wall in his tantrum. I am fairly certain the guy on Morning Beneficiation of Glorious Trump for Again Make America Great was also talking of the budget and that was not Trump concern.

Also I do not understand Trump on saying the Democrats abandoning the Dreamers. I know the Democrats been horrible yet Trump does not appear to understand the problem is of his own making. It can also be brought up that this is what the Democrats got hammered on back in January. This feel just like stray observation for there is no real reason why for this.

Trump always attacks.He makes a message on the rug and blames others. He has had a lifetime of yes-men enabling this behavior.

What if Bolton intends to murder millions of people and we do nothing to stop him? I am just raising the question as Bolton would put it.

Similarly, Bolton in 2012 defended Michelle Bachmann’s inquiry into whether former Hillary Clinton aide Huma Abedin was an agent of the Muslim Brotherhood. “What is wrong with raising the question?” he declared on Gaffney’s radio show. (John McCain, by contrast, called Bachmann’s inquiries “specious and degrading.”) But, as far as I know, Bolton never questioned Abedin’s loyalty himself. As in his push for Gaffney’s reinstatement at CPAC, Bolton doesn’t preach hatred of Muslims. He just aids those who do

https://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2018/03/john-bolton-anti-muslim-enabler/556442/

John Bolton and the Normalization of Fringe Conservatism

Donald Trump’s incoming national-security adviser has provided support for anti-Muslim voices on the right.

25 minutes ago, Martell Spy said:

What if Bolton intends to murder millions of people and we do nothing to stop him? I am just raising the question as Bolton would put it.

https://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2018/03/john-bolton-anti-muslim-enabler/556442/

John Bolton and the Normalization of Fringe Conservatism

Donald Trump’s incoming national-security adviser has provided support for anti-Muslim voices on the right.

He's a warmongering bigot. And hes gonna start a war and get a lot of people killed.

Emma González came out on stage, told the crowd that the shooter was in the school for six minutes and 20 seconds.  She then read off the names of the 17 killed and then stood there, silent, for six minutes and 20 seconds.   Awesome!

Archived