GRRM's cryptic location blog post

Daendrew

53 minutes ago, Clegane'sPup said:

Sorry to read that. Try Martin's not a blog.

https://grrm.livejournal.com/

It most clearly shows the current location as Hidden Fortress.

That worked perfectly! :cheers:

What about the pic? I'm on a small screen, and when I first looked I thought, "why on earth Westeros is Martin sporting a Darth Vader profile pic? But when I zoomed in I saw it's a sphinx? :eek:

7 minutes ago, kissdbyfire said:

That worked perfectly! :cheers:

What about the pic? I'm on a small screen, and when I first looked I thought, "why on earth Westeros is Martin sporting a Darth Vader profile pic? But when I zoomed in I saw it's a sphinx? :eek:

Glad to be of service. I canna answer your questions. I laughed my ass off because clicking the hidden fortress tag gave me a google map that showed a Dairy Queen.

2 minutes ago, Clegane'sPup said:

Glad to be of service. I canna answer your questions. I laughed my ass off because clicking the hidden fortress tag gave me a google map that showed a Dairy Queen.

Does it mean he is some place where he won't run out of ice cream? If so, he's a lucky bastard. I just realised I have none, and nearest shop is 90 mins away. :bawl:

3 minutes ago, kissdbyfire said:

Does it mean he is some place where he won't run out of ice cream? If so, he's a lucky bastard. I just realised I have none, and nearest shop is 90 mins away. :bawl:

It means what you want it to mean. :cheers:

11 minutes ago, Sour Billy Tipton said:

Anyone want to decipher the new cryptic post?  https://grrm.livejournal.com/565373.html

I wonder what the disappointment will be this time around!

I dunno, man, but I am freaked out! I wanted to see which Dairy Queen he would be at this time, but when I clicked on the 'current location', MY HOUSE popped up on the map!!! :blink:
Excuse me while I go check all of my closets in search of Wordstar floppy disks.

From NaB:
One for all and all for one.

The dragon has three heads.

Plunk your magic twangers.

I could tell you, but then I'd have to kill you.

Tags:

Going off the television tags.

We see 4-5-3-4. The rumors started out with 4 spin offs being in the works (not approved, just in the works). Then they said there were 5 spin offs in the works. 

So maybe this is the spin off outlook at present? Perhaps at one point only 3 spin offs were strong candidates, but now there are 4 strong candidates?

2 minutes ago, Lollygag said:

Going off the television tags.

We see 4-5-3-4. The rumors started out with 4 spin offs being in the works (not approved, just in the works). Then they said there were 5 spin offs in the works. 

So maybe this is the spin off outlook at present? Perhaps at one point only 3 spin offs were strong candidates, but now there are 4 strong candidates?

This may be it. And to speculate a little further, maybe these are the clues to what each of the spinoff's could possibly be? :dunno: I could be very wrong about this.

1. One for all and all for one.
  2. The dragon has three heads.
  3. Plunk your magic twangers.
  4. I could tell you, but then I'd have to kill you.

4 minutes ago, The Fattest Leech said:

This may be it. And to speculate a little further, maybe these are the clues to what each of the spinoff's could possibly be? :dunno: I could be very wrong about this.

1. One for all and all for one.
  2. The dragon has three heads.
  3. Plunk your magic twangers.
  4. I could tell you, but then I'd have to kill you.

Hope you're right. 

If so, then the "I could tell you, but then I'd have to kill you" might be a new and big idea hence the I'll-have-what-he's-having mood. 

OK. I'm trying to decipher this one, but I think I'm not old enough and not american/english enough to do it by myself.

First, let's study the text:

Yowza

Hiya, kids, hiya, hiya.
Never mind The Count. Here's counting the Gremlin's Way.
OFF WE GO!

[PIC 1]

Even better!

[PIC 2]

Ooops, ouch, ouch ouch ouch.

[PIC 3]

Bing bang boom!

[PIC 4]

One for all and all for one.

The dragon has three heads.

Plunk your magic twangers.

I could tell you, but then I'd have to kill you.

Current Location:The Lonely Mountain

Current Mood: amused

Tags: television

I did a little googling and some clear Puppets references popped up:

Hiya, kids, hiya, hiya. and Plunk your magic twangers. are catchphrases from the Smilin' Ed's Gang show / Andy's Gang TV show. It direct us to Froggy the Gremlin.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Froggy_the_Gremlin

Froggy that GrrM appears to uses when he's got something new to tell. And Froggy the Gremlin is here on this post, near the title.

So, we've got an old puppet from a kids TV show. And there is another puppet from another TV show that GrrM loves: Sesame Street.

Never mind The Count.

This Count, that count:

(Yeah, sorry, you will have that in the head for the day)

So. Here is the part where I'm, sadly, not an old american.

Never mind The Count. Here's counting the Gremlin's Way.

How did Froggy the Gremlin used to count? That might be the key to understand the pictures.

What else?

One for all and all for one. -> "3 musketeers" reference. Reminder, the 3 musleteers were 4.

The dragon has three heads. -> OK, everyone here got that one, but what should we do of it? Keep "3"?

Plunk your magic twangers. ->
Froggy, I've no idea what you are trying to tell me.

I could tell you, but then I'd have to kill you. -> Appeared first in The Hounds of Baskervilles" featuring Sherlock Holmes, but then in lots of movies.

Current Location:The Lonely Mountain -> The Hobbit.

Current Mood: amused

Tags: television -> So that's probably not about a book

Yowza (title) -> Not sure, is there a reference here too?

Also, I tried to see what the rhymes gave me if associated with numbers, but not much.

Considering it's about TV, it looks pretty straightforward. The hands count the number of shows he has in active development. After some ups and downs, ultimately he has four of them.

It's nice that he has some projects he's that excited about. I mean, besides "Wild Cards". Having excess free time and absolutely no project to occupy oneself with, is, in the long run, seriously exhausting and depressing. Been there.

Guys, of course this is about television stuff. If it was about the really important stuff - George's own stuff, the things he writes - he would just tell us, as he usually does.

Only the other stuff is going to demand this kind of childish secrecy.

And those other potential shows have been in development for quite some time now. They might intend to go into preproduction/whatever before the other show is (finally) going to get wrapped up.

If they want to continue to milk the 'Game of Thrones' cow, they might be will advised to start the next show sooner rather than later after the end of GoT. There is no guarantee that this is going to be a success if it only came out, say, 3-4 years after the final GoT. Especially not if they change the formula and try something new. After all, it won't be the same story nor the same actors.

2 minutes ago, Lord Varys said:

Guys, of course this is about television stuff. If it was about the really important stuff - George's own stuff, the things he writes - he would just tell us, as he usually does.

There's no need to speculate about this at all, since he tagged it "television". 

I was going to leave this alone since it's not Winds-related and I don't care much for the HBO stuff, but in the end I couldn't.

As others have already pointed out, it's about the successor shows (he has used the fingers imagery in the past and the tag is clearly "television"). It would seem that initally there were four successor shows, then one more was added (Cogman's one, 99.9% chance of being about the Dance). Then, two were cut (Brian Helgeland was the writer for one of them and he's now attached to a Jake Gyllenhaal, for example). Then, one more has been added (making it four).

"Plunk your magic twangers" is a phrase associated with Froggy the Gremlin, a children's character from the 1950's. GRRM has used him as avatar (along with the phrase) on the Not a Blog when giving hints and riddles about new cast members in Game of Thrones (he used to do it a lot in 2010, with the clues being things the actors did in their previous works).

If there's some kind of hint in this post it's the "one for all and all for one" and "the dragon has three heads" quotes. The first one is obviously most associated with the Three Musketeers, and that may be a clue. Now for some wild speculation: I'd say that it's either that someone on this new show has some kind of history with the Three Musketeers, or that it'll be about the Conquest (which may explain GRRM being so excited about it). Perhaps both.

If it's the Three Musketeers thing, I'd put my money on Andrew Davies, a Welsh screenwriter who penned the 2011 film adaptation (a pretty bad one, at that), and has history with other period films and shows: Pride and Prejudice, Vanity Fair, Sense and Sensibility, BBC's 2016 War and Peace and others.

Archived