Watch, Watched, Watching: The Good, Bad and Ugly

Zorral

Went to see Hamilton last night. I probably wouldn't have bothered on my own account but I was offered a ticket at short notice. I guess it makes perfect sense that politicians would rap, as it's associated with showing off for your audience and bigging yourself up at the expense of your opponents. The first half was non-stop action that it was impossible to look away from, as was the first part of the second half. There was a little lull toward the conclusion - which took the momentum out of it for me. But I found it pretty all consuming for the most part. Modern classic. Would recommend. 

I just finished season 1 of B the Beginning. I tend to give Netflix series at least one season before I draw conclusions, as I feel like I need to get the full picture first.

Holy shit, it was awful. The protagonist (and the rest of the cast for that matter) just won't shut the fuck up. Rather than giving me the chance to think about what is going on and draw my own conclusions, he keeps force-feeding you information. It ruined any sense of immersion.

The fight scenes were good, but that's not nearly enough to save this for me. I won't be back for season 2.

20 hours ago, RedEyedGhost said:

Reveal hidden contents

The "FBI"?  I figured that out the second time they were on the screen, because no way real FBI would behave like that.  It then proceeded to annoy me every time they were then on screen that the characters were so oblivious.

Yeah that one. Should have seen that coming sooner because it made no sense.

Hate to say it but I'm burning out on Hannibal. About 4-5 eps into S3. Nothing ever is what it seems. Can't tell if I'm watching a flashback, a re-imagining, a dream, or the real thing. And Hannibal is so goddamn perfect at everything. It's kind of annoying. He's like everything every human wishes to be. He's a master chef, extremely intelligent, rich, rides a motorcycle, plays the piano, excellent artist, speaks multiple languages, karate guru, makes his own music I mean holy fuck... Hate to walk out on the last season with about 9 eps left but I'm just bored at this point. Don't get me wrong, the show has been pretty entertaining at times, and I can't recall seeing death/crime scenes more graphic and thoughtful than in this show, but that's not enough for me anymore. 

Been watching Vikings when I can. 3-4 eps into S2. Entertaining still so I'll keep watching. Seems pretty predictable but it's easy to watch. My uncle did the typical thing that most older folk in their 50's do last night, and started mouthing off about spoilers when I brought the show up. FFS I literally told him the exact episode I just watched and he dropped a bomb on me. He assured me it was a couple seasons down the road, though. Why he thought that was relevant to tell me is mindblowing.

9 hours ago, Isis said:

Went to see Hamilton last night. I probably wouldn't have bothered on my own account but I was offered a ticket at short notice. I guess it makes perfect sense that politicians would rap, as it's associated with showing off for your audience and bigging yourself up at the expense of your opponents. The first half was non-stop action that it was impossible to look away from, as was the first part of the second half. There was a little lull toward the conclusion - which took the momentum out of it for me. But I found it pretty all consuming for the most part. Modern classic. Would recommend. 

Saw this last year. Thought it was incredible. Do agree with you about the lull in the 2nd half but I still walked out thinking it was the best show I’ve ever seen.

5 hours ago, Mexal said:

Saw this last year. Thought it was incredible. Do agree with you about the lull in the 2nd half but I still walked out thinking it was the best show I’ve ever seen.

Got to say that I've seen a lot of plays but have very limited experience of musicals (could count on one hand). I did think it was very impressive, memorable and thought-provoking.

I happened to stumble across a re-run of The Secret History of Our Streets last night. Absolutely one of the best series that's ever been on TV. It originally aired on BBC2 in about 2012 and I have tried to get hold of it on DVD to no avail. It uses a survey by Charles Booth to show the history of different regions of London based on their status (poor (criminal), through to middle class and upper class), it especially focuses on bits which were declared slums and knocked down. So it shows what the houses and streets looked like back then (1930s I think) and they interview families to see where they are now. It's absolutely fascinating stuff. The efffect place has on a person's sense of self is amazing.

The episode last night was about Portland Street, Notting Hill - how it was originally considered too awful and rough a place to live but now it is full of unremittingly awful bankers.

9 hours ago, l2 0 5 5 said:

Hate to say it but I'm burning out on Hannibal. About 4-5 eps into S3. Nothing ever is what it seems. Can't tell if I'm watching a flashback, a re-imagining, a dream, or the real thing. And Hannibal is so goddamn perfect at everything. It's kind of annoying. He's like everything every human wishes to be. He's a master chef, extremely intelligent, rich, rides a motorcycle, plays the piano, excellent artist, speaks multiple languages, karate guru, makes his own music I mean holy fuck... Hate to walk out on the last season with about 9 eps left but I'm just bored at this point. Don't get me wrong, the show has been pretty entertaining at times, and I can't recall seeing death/crime scenes more graphic and thoughtful than in this show, but that's not enough for me anymore. 

Been watching Vikings when I can. 3-4 eps into S2. Entertaining still so I'll keep watching. Seems pretty predictable but it's easy to watch. My uncle did the typical thing that most older folk in their 50's do last night, and started mouthing off about spoilers when I brought the show up. FFS I literally told him the exact episode I just watched and he dropped a bomb on me. He assured me it was a couple seasons down the road, though. Why he thought that was relevant to tell me is mindblowing.

Well if the spoiler was a couple of seasons away you’ll have hit the shitshow point anyway and probably have abandoned ship (pun intended ;)) so no worries really :P 

I've had lots of air travel in recent weeks, which is where/when I do most of my TV viewing.

Finished Gomorrah S2 and loved it.  If Sopranos is a paean to psychotherapy and understanding subconscious motivations and anxieties, then Gomorrah is a generational battle between parents trying to retain control while demanding respect, fealty and submission/compliance from kids while those same kids yearn for their opportunity to take charge, be in control and earn a living.  It seems especially relevant in Italy with the current generational gap in employment, home ownership, marriage, household formation etc.  But considering Gomorrah S2 reaches a significant climax to that specific arc, I wonder where S3 intends to go?  Aside from thematic content, this show is a must-watch for the stylish direction (very different from Sopranos).  I'd love to see what this director does next.  And, simple as it is, I always love the word-play on Gomorra/camorra.  (the original title is Gomorra, and that's how it appears on the opening credits of each episode).

Then I watched the entire new season of Queer Eye on Netflix and really enjoyed it.  I never saw the original show and I had tepid expectations because my only prior experience with a make-over show was What Not To Wear, which my wife used to watch -- which is like HGTV for clothes: a bit cheesy, a bit snarky, and every episode feels the same.  But Queer Eye got some great reviews and it proved to be much, much better than expected.  The style make-over and camp flouncing around is just a pretext for challenging the trap of traditional masculinity: the stoic independence that leads to loneliness, the fear of being a sissy that makes you conservative/boring, the impulse to be a provider/protector that makes you focus on your family but neglect yourself, the need to be a pillar of strength means you cannot properly grieve.  The first four episodes were especially powerful and left me in tears; and no doubt left the people seated next to me on the airplane feeling deeply uncomfortable.  Highly recommended, even if you don't end up wearing bold patterns, skinny jeans or bright colors.

Now I've started Sneaky Pete S1.  I was concerned that the central premise would be too anxiety-inducing as the main character tries to preserve a flimsy pretense through every episode, but it's much more balanced than that and doesn't play for cheap anxiety all the time. 

For a quick nostalgia trip, I rewatched Caddyshack for the first time in 25 years.  It did not hold up well.

22 hours ago, BigFatCoward said:

i had to drag myself kicking and screaming to the end.  Such a let down after the first 2 seasons.

I couldn't do what you did. I gave up about three episodes into S3. It was just so hard to watch. Loved the first season and most of second then for me it went off the rails.

I finished Iron Fist completing the origin stories of the Defenders, now on to The Defenders. I will say I liked Iron Fist more than Luke Cage, since I like martial arts, but Luke Cage IMO had better actors in it especially the female leads. Iron Fist is full of holes and the lead actor tends to be jerky in his delivery and I found it annoying about mid season. Basically watched Iron Fist and Luke Cage just so I would be up to date when I watch The Defenders.

Spoiler

Also, did they forget that Harold cut off his finger and it was in the trash before his son killed him? I remember seeing him in the next scene and thinking WTF, are they going to at least explain how his finger got back on his hand, but no.

On 3/26/2018 at 6:15 AM, HelenaExMachina said:

Well if the spoiler was a couple of seasons away you’ll have hit the shitshow point anyway and probably have abandoned ship (pun intended ;)) so no worries really :P 

Ha yes I've seen on this board that it gets rough at a point. I've fully embraced that at this point. 

Watched the first two episodes of Requiem. Solid so far. Only 6 episodes in first season so I think I can finish that one. ;)

Pumped for The 100, The Expanse, and The Americans starting soon.

24 minutes ago, l2 0 5 5 said:

Pumped for The 100, The Expanse, and The Americans starting soon.

I was happy to see that the UK won't have to wait months for the new series of The Americans, which we've had to do in the past. It apparently starts here on 4th April which seems to put it about a week behind the US.

With Legion and Westworld also starting their new seasons in April it looks like it could be a good month for television.

21 minutes ago, williamjm said:

I was happy to see that the UK won't have to wait months for the new series of The Americans, which we've had to do in the past. It apparently starts here on 4th April which seems to put it about a week behind the US.

With Legion and Westworld also starting their new seasons in April it looks like it could be a good month for television.

Not to mention Billions, Barry (really liked the opening episode), Silicon Valley, Bosch, The Handmaid's Tale, Brockmire, Into the Badlands (guilty pleasure of awesomeness) and The Expanse.

Can't wait.

23 minutes ago, williamjm said:

Really? Hell yeah!

4th April is also the premiere of Legion 

1 hour ago, HelenaExMachina said:

Really? Hell yeah!

4th April is also the premiere of Legion 

According to this:

The sixth and final season of 

The Americans will receive its UK premiere on ITV4 on Wednesday April 4th at 10pm, it has been announced.

35 minutes ago, Mark Antony said:

I also can’t wait for the final season of The Americans. Think it has potential to go down as one of the greats if they can nail it. 

I think it's definitely been one of the best shows of the past few years. Of course, a lot depends on the ending they choose, I'm still not sure what I expect or even what I want to happen.

Archived