Watch, Watched, Watching: The Good, Bad and Ugly

Zorral

On ‎5‎/‎1‎/‎2018 at 11:24 PM, A True Kaniggit said:

Shrek. Because it's on Netflix now. Poor frog and snake. 

Edit: Ugh. I'm not seeing Infinity Wars until this Saturday. It's taking every fl oz of my not inconsiderable willpower to stay away from the Avengers spoiler thread.

Stay strong and stay away, that thread has every detail from the movie and everyones plot for the next one in it!

44 minutes ago, Triskele said:

Watched a few more of Gomorrah, and while I do like it and plan on continuing, I'm not as high on it as some of y'all that have said it's best-show-on-tv territory.  But it is good, and I'm glad I'm watching.  Man, do I want to find Genny in real life and whoop his ass.  

How far are you? 

Just now, Triskele said:

Five episodes

That explains the Genny comment. :lol:

He’s a completely different character after he returns from Honduras (maybe 1x07 or 1x08?). And Salvatore Esposito really starts to shine at that point. 

On 5/2/2018 at 1:35 AM, Simon Steele said:

Hold on, hold on. You can't have just said that. Replacing Michael Biehn, if remakes are evidence of anything, is next to impossible. Supporting Jai Courtney's terrible performance by lowering the quality body of work produced by Biehn is a logical fallacy of a new order.

I was not trying to support Courtney's performance.  I was expressing that Biehn is not a good actor either.  I understand the latter has a weird cult following based on his...plethora of D- work.

1 hour ago, dmc515 said:

I was not trying to support Courtney's performance.  I was expressing that Biehn is not a good actor either.  I understand the latter has a weird cult following based on his...plethora of D- work.

Navy Seals! Blood Dragon!! Terminator and Aliens are just icing on the Biehn cake.

Finshed Sky Atlantic's "Save me". Man, is Lennie James wasted on Walking Dead. Also they should have considered letting him write some episodes of the WD if this show is anything to go by. It's quite a good take on the abduction storyline and it does go in some pretty dark places with a not-what-you'd-expect conclusion. The guy who played Al Capone in "Boardwalk empire" does a great job too with a very demanding role.

Unfortunately things get a little bit silly in the last couple of episodes especially regarding the lack of involvement of the police (they never really make a convincing argument for why the police wouldn't be far better equipped to deal with some events) but the tower block characters and their lives are quite interesting - almost to the point where I'd possibly have preferred a show about them without the abduction storyline.

15 hours ago, Triskele said:

Watched a few more of Gomorrah, and while I do like it and plan on continuing, I'm not as high on it as some of y'all that have said it's best-show-on-tv territory.  But it is good, and I'm glad I'm watching.  Man, do I want to find Genny in real life and whoop his ass.  

Give it to the end of the season. Things change up dramatically in the second half. I think even after watching the first season, it took some time for everything to sink in for me and I went back and re-watched certain scenes and episodes.

My wife and I watched Bosch S4 over the past couple of weeks.  It's pretty solid, continuing with some good ensemble actors around the title character -- Jerry, Crate & Barrel, the Lt., Irving, even the new IA detectives -- but it does move far too slowly.  It feels ponderous.  And even though he's my favorite character, Jerry needs to enunciate his damn lines.  Like prior seasons, this has a central murder mystery spread over ten eps (so not a crime-of-the-week procedural) while maintaining a handful of B stories around city politics, Bosch's family (ex-wife and daughter), Bosch's mother's murder cold case, plus the pointless Korea Town Killer.  Solid, worth a watch.

Over the last 2-3 weeks, I also watched Sneaky Pete S2 during flights.  This was very entertaining.  There are more convoluted plots this time as all family members, other than emo Carli, have life-threatening problems they are keeping secret from the others.  The plot and grifting hijinks drive this along, but the performances from the main ensemble and secondary characters are all very strong.  Everyone should be watching this.  I don't know if S3 can keep the same focus on the family bail bond business, but I really hope there will be a S3.

Finished the first season of Cobra Kai yesterday. I liked it a lot, this series has a lot of heart and I will definitely watch more of this if I get the chance.

I also got to the theatre, first to see A Quiet Place and then my friends convinced me to stick around and watch the new Avengers. I have to say that was a great night at the theatre, best I had in a long time. A Quiet Place is as good as everyone says it is, one of the best horrorfilms in a while and a beacon of hope in a genre that is to often plagued by cheap cash-ins. Everyone was really good and the basic idea of the entire film worked incredible well. 

Avengers was also really nice. I'm not very keen on superheroes in general and I have often been critical of Marvel in the past for polluting theatre with their mediocre assembly line films by the dozen, but this film for a change had heart. Thanos' motivation was pretty bonkers, but he's still the most menacing villain in the entire MCU (or at least the films I have seen) and these films really needed a credible antagonist. Despite the horror of the events in this film, it was also surprisingly funny and had its fair share of poignant moments. I think at the end of the day this is as good as this brand of superhero films are going to get, because it obviously had the same problems as other MCU films, but it was engaging enough to ignore those :) 

Spoiler

No way in hell that any of the flaked characters is going to stay dead

The Core is on, in Spanish or French! (I have no idea which, honestly)

Do I try to sleep off this Apple Crown or do I watch this awful film in a language I can't understand until it's time for work?

I'll just keep watching old Half in the Bag episodes for a while.

Went to see Beast yesterday. I liked it a lot. It's beautifully shot, lots of painting with the golden light of sunset or sunrise. It doesn't spoon feed you and you really do wonder what is happening/is going to happen right until the final scene.

On ‎5‎/‎5‎/‎2018 at 11:42 AM, Veltigar said:

Finished the first season of Cobra Kai yesterday. I liked it a lot, this series has a lot of heart and I will definitely watch more of this if I get the chance.

I also got to the theatre, first to see A Quiet Place and then my friends convinced me to stick around and watch the new Avengers. I have to say that was a great night at the theatre, best I had in a long time. A Quiet Place is as good as everyone says it is, one of the best horrorfilms in a while and a beacon of hope in a genre that is to often plagued by cheap cash-ins. Everyone was really good and the basic idea of the entire film worked incredible well. 

Avengers was also really nice. I'm not very keen on superheroes in general and I have often been critical of Marvel in the past for polluting theatre with their mediocre assembly line films by the dozen, but this film for a change had heart. Thanos' motivation was pretty bonkers, but he's still the most menacing villain in the entire MCU (or at least the films I have seen) and these films really needed a credible antagonist. Despite the horror of the events in this film, it was also surprisingly funny and had its fair share of poignant moments. I think at the end of the day this is as good as this brand of superhero films are going to get, because it obviously had the same problems as other MCU films, but it was engaging enough to ignore those :) 

Reveal hidden contents

No way in hell that any of the flaked characters is going to stay dead

Two good choices. I am not one who goes and sees horror movies but I made the exception for A Quiet Place and was happy I did.

Avengers is pretty spot on for how you described it. I was talking to someone Saturday who isn't a super hero fan and I described it kind of like you do. It has more than enough of a regular movie to it that non MCU people can enjoy it.

2 minutes ago, Triskele said:

Anyone watching this Collateral on Netflix?  A few of the lists that I found on the webs seemed to have it high up there.  

Haven't seen it yet but I heard it's excellent with a little too much going on. They were trying to make the English The Wire but it's tough to do in 4 episodes. But it tackles some of the same types of themes.

This season of The 100 has been really good so far.  I freaking hate the Walking Dead school of story line management though.  Hate it.

Is there still an active thread for it?  Its name makes it impossible to find when searching.

16 hours ago, RedEyedGhost said:

This season of The 100 has been really good so far.  I freaking hate the Walking Dead school of story line management though.  Hate it.

Is there still an active thread for it?  Its name makes it impossible to find when searching.

It's archived

I need to watch last night's episode. 

Archived