Watch, Watched, Watching: The Good, Bad and Ugly

Zorral

Just watched Deadpool 2 and it was solid - definitely at it's best when surprising as opposed to sticking to the original formula. SOund quality was a bit poor in the cinema meaning it was actually hard to hear what was being said at some points (won't be going there again)

also watched Pacific Rim: Uprising. I enjoyed it in that "mindless B-movie" way. Plenty of odd choices and an under-developed teen cast leaving the impression it didn't know whether it wanted to be Ender's game or a sequel. Definitely a film that benefits from low expectations going in.

Almost went to see Solo but spent enough time watching films for one day anyhow and while a drop in the ocean I don't want to be contributing to a strong opening weekend for the film (also helps that due to the bank holiday it will be over a week before I can get a cheaper tickets).

4 hours ago, red snow said:

Just watched Deadpool 2 and it was solid - definitely at it's best when surprising as opposed to sticking to the original formula. SOund quality was a bit poor in the cinema meaning it was actually hard to hear what was being said at some points (won't be going there again)

also watched Pacific Rim: Uprising. I enjoyed it in that "mindless B-movie" way. Plenty of odd choices and an under-developed teen cast leaving the impression it didn't know whether it wanted to be Ender's game or a sequel. Definitely a film that benefits from low expectations going in.

Almost went to see Solo but spent enough time watching films for one day anyhow and while a drop in the ocean I don't want to be contributing to a strong opening weekend for the film (also helps that due to the bank holiday it will be over a week before I can get a cheaper tickets).

On Deadpool I agree, the "new" things brought in this one were great. Old ones felt well, old.

Have a question because I don't quite understand your statement on Solo. Are you saying that you aren't going to see it this weekend because you don't want it to have a good weekend? So are you already set up to hate it and no matter what when you see it you plan to say it's no good, actor sucked, story sucked..money grab etc.? Maybe I am tired and just not understanding.

Yes. I've seen them all. Thing is, the show is about the chefs and their all-encompassing, obsessive drive to be the absolute best at the career/way of life/ethos they have chosen. The show is basically a biography, giving you the history of how that chef got to where they are now. I think it's amazing and fascinating. The cinematography is superb. I also don't think at any point anyone suggests that everybody should take up any of these philosophies and convert their lives to accomplish them. If you're not that into cooking and eating really good food then maybe it's not that interesting to you. Everyone I know who is serious about food has enjoyed the show. 

6 hours ago, dbunting said:

On Deadpool I agree, the "new" things brought in this one were great. Old ones felt well, old.

Have a question because I don't quite understand your statement on Solo. Are you saying that you aren't going to see it this weekend because you don't want it to have a good weekend? So are you already set up to hate it and no matter what when you see it you plan to say it's no good, actor sucked, story sucked..money grab etc.? Maybe I am tired and just not understanding.

It's a mini protest. Everything I've heard suggests Disney are trying to turn star wars into marvel with harmlessly entertaining moneymakers. I don't really want that to be the fate of star wars with a bland acceptance of several entertaining yet ultimately forgettable films every year. I'm fine with that being the case with marvel as the comics got me used to the concept of transient entertainment.

I know Hollywood puts a lot of emphasis on opening weekends as they know most films drop dramatically after that. I don't want the film to completely fail but I'm hoping Disney looks at the performance and has pause for thought. Do they want to settle for lots of successful films or lots of mega successful films? Maybe they'll settle for a mixture with core trilogies and these "star wars stories". 

Plus, I'm always complaining around the entertainment forum on how dull/lazy I find prequel shows/films. Especially ones where known characters are featured. Filling in blanks that didn't really need filling and often  result in me wishing they hadn't. The star wars galaxy is a big place but focusing on the death Star or old characters when they were marginally younger than their first on screen appearance just seems too safe and a wasted opportunity.

And I'd have to pay £12 for a ticket to see it this weekend while it's £7 if I wait a week :)

3 hours ago, red snow said:

It's a mini protest. Everything I've heard suggests Disney are trying to turn star wars into marvel with harmlessly entertaining moneymakers. I don't really want that to be the fate of star wars with a bland acceptance of several entertaining yet ultimately forgettable films every year. I'm fine with that being the case with marvel as the comics got me used to the concept of transient entertainment.

I know Hollywood puts a lot of emphasis on opening weekends as they know most films drop dramatically after that. I don't want the film to completely fail but I'm hoping Disney looks at the performance and has pause for thought. Do they want to settle for lots of successful films or lots of mega successful films? Maybe they'll settle for a mixture with core trilogies and these "star wars stories". 

Plus, I'm always complaining around the entertainment forum on how dull/lazy I find prequel shows/films. Especially ones where known characters are featured. Filling in blanks that didn't really need filling and often  result in me wishing they hadn't. The star wars galaxy is a big place but focusing on the death Star or old characters when they were marginally younger than their first on screen appearance just seems too safe and a wasted opportunity.

And I'd have to pay £12 for a ticket to see it this weekend while it's £7 if I wait a week :)

Ok, a fair and honest answer. I personally really liked Rogue One. To me if they styled the main series more like Rogue One I would be happy as hell because it really felt more like ANH and ESB. Less CGI, and less cute little creatures to sell toys.  I also liked Solo, less than RO but not much.  

On 5/26/2018 at 12:17 AM, polishgenius said:

Universal are making one. Antoine Fuqua was meant to do it, then he left and the Coen Brothers were writing it, now he's possibly back and it's being rewritten again by his choice of writer, or something. Anyway, it's much-delayed but on the way.

Oh dear, I wonder how that will pan out.

21 hours ago, Nictarion said:

Watched Only God Forgives. I guess I’m now one of the 5 people on the planet that liked it. :P

:grouphug: Part of the crew, part of the ship! :D

I never understood the hate for that one. Apart from the fact that Refn is a bit of a twat. 

20 hours ago, Zorral said:

To do a Scarface prequel it would have to be set in Cuba and have all Cuban characters.

Knowing Hollywood, They are probably going to focus on Tony's American father :P

1 minute ago, polishgenius said:

They should remake Rocky with Joel Edgerton as Rocky.

:o There is no curse in Elvish, Entish, or the tongues of Men for this treachery.

Focusing on Tony's father would be very boring -- he taught English -- or so it is said.  Personally, I'm hardly convinced this American dad even existed. :P The timelines are also iffy, if you axe moi.

It would have to be Tony running with the Cuban criminals in Havana -- which is also rather hard to believe in, since organized crime groups were so stomped down upon in Fidel's Cuba when Tony was growing up -- and still are.  Tony was a criminal, anti-social, which, of course, was why he was in a Cuban prison in the first place.

The whole thing is a bad idea.

16 minutes ago, Red Tiger said:

........I think I just vomited.

That's the reaction Joel Edgerton rightly brings out for most people :P

13 minutes ago, Zorral said:

Focusing on Tony's father would be very boring -- he taught English -- or so it is said.  Personally, I'm hardly convinced this American dad even existed. :P The timelines are also iffy, if you axe moi.

It would have to be Tony running with the Cuban criminals in Havana -- which is also rather hard to believe in, since organized crime groups were so stomped down upon in Fidel's Cuba when Tony was growing up -- and still are.  Tony was a criminal, anti-social, which, of course, was why he was in a Cuban prison in the first place.

The whole thing is a bad idea.

They can always turn Tony's father into something like an American gun-for-hire working for Fidel but then it turns out he's actually a mole for the CIA or some mishap like that. Hollywood will find a way to fuck this up, have faith Zorral! 

17 minutes ago, Red Tiger said:

I liked Warrior, I barely remember anything involving Joel that did not involve the actual fights.

:blink: Not you to Red; Warrior was a great film until Joel Edgerton's character ruined it :P

Watched another really good Netflix documentary series called Evil Genius: The True Story of America's Most Diabolical Bank Heist

I can’t believe the movie 30 Minutes or Less was even greentlighted, let alone made. Very poor taste. 

39 minutes ago, Nictarion said:

Watched another really good Netflix documentary series called Evil Genius: The True Story of America's Most Diabolical Bank Heist

Crazy story, right? I was kind of familiar with this case but the documentary really went into a lot of details I didn’t know, especially about the suspects.

Spoiler

Diel-Armstrong using her mental illness as an excuse for everything she did was driving me insane by the end of it. Fucking narcissists are the worst.

30 minutes or less was based on this? I just read a little about it.

ETA: Edgerton was in Animal Kindom so I’ll always like him. 

Archived