Is Drogon the most iconic dragon of all time?

Rhae_Valarie

17 hours ago, Ferocious Veldt Roarer said:

I'm guessing you're, in fact, talking about show!Drogon. Because, bookwise, Drogon isn't even the most iconic dragon in ASoIAF (that would be Balerion), let alone all the literature.

I'm more talking about Drogon being an icon of popular culture, rather than in universe or even among fans of fantasy. For instance, whether you've read the books or watched the show you are going to know who Drogon is and have a general sense of what he looks like. However, there are probably plenty of casual fans of just the show who have no idea who Balerion is (even though he is much more well known in universe). In addition, if someone said something along the lines of "Daenery's dragon" or "the dragon from Game of Thrones" most people would consider that to be a reference to Drogon. For instance, I know so many casual fans of the show (and even some of the series) who can never remember the names of Rhaegal and Viserion, or the general description of their appearance. For them, Drogon and his relationship with Dany, is what is truly emblematic of the show and series. 

6 hours ago, Rhae_Valarie said:

I'm more talking about Drogon being an icon of popular culture, rather than in universe or even among fans of fantasy.

Show!Drogon.

For instance, whether you've read the books or watched the show you are going to know who Drogon is

And, whether you've read the books or watched the show, you'll know two significantly different dragons, even if name's the same.

and have a general sense of what he looks like. However, there are probably plenty of casual fans of just the show who have no idea who Balerion is (even though he is much more well known in universe). In addition, if someone said something along the lines of "Daenery's dragon" or "the dragon from Game of Thrones" most people would consider that to be a reference to Drogon. For instance, I know so many casual fans of the show (and even some of the series) who can never remember the names of Rhaegal and Viserion, or the general description of their appearance. For them, Drogon and his relationship with Dany, is what is truly emblematic of the show and series. 

That's at the peak of the HBO show's popularity. Let me ask you this: Ed Sheeran's "Divide" was the best selling album of 2017. Does it make Ed Sheeran the most iconic musician of all time? (Sheeran, BTW, did guest star on "Game of Thrones").

(I also wonder, how the design of Smaug could have been influenced by Drogon, considering that the pre-production of the Hobbit movies started in 2008 - shooting in 2011, premiere in November 2012 - while the first season of GOT aired in April 2012, and Drogon was but an egg then).

11 hours ago, Sea Dragon said:

I don't watch the show because the writing is stupid, but I think you might be thinking of the tv show dragons. They are too new to be iconic yet but Danaerys is more iconic already. And the dragons on the tv show do not look like the ones in the books. 

The novels are destined to become timeless classics.  It is inevitable that Daenerys and Drogon will both reach icon status.  For the moment, Drogon is on his way to icon status.

You are so right about the TV show.  I cancelled my premium subscription earlier this year.

7 hours ago, Rhae_Valarie said:

I'm more talking about Drogon being an icon of popular culture, rather than in universe or even among fans of fantasy. For instance, whether you've read the books or watched the show you are going to know who Drogon is and have a general sense of what he looks like. However, there are probably plenty of casual fans of just the show who have no idea who Balerion is (even though he is much more well known in universe). In addition, if someone said something along the lines of "Daenery's dragon" or "the dragon from Game of Thrones" most people would consider that to be a reference to Drogon. For instance, I know so many casual fans of the show (and even some of the series) who can never remember the names of Rhaegal and Viserion, or the general description of their appearance. For them, Drogon and his relationship with Dany, is what is truly emblematic of the show and series. 

I definitely agree.  

Check this out.  Drogon is now part of popular culture.

On 3/23/2018 at 9:43 AM, Nina DarkSister said:

We can not compare the other Targaryen dragons with Viserion, Rhaegal and Drogon. The birth of Viserion, Rhaegal and Drogon was unique, magical and special. They are linked to Dany through breast milk which is the strongest bond of all. Dany created them as their children and they feel the same sensations of their mother. They are extremely intelligent with human personalities.

What we know about Balerion is that he was a scary giant beast.

Not only is Drogon iconic, Rhaegal and Viserion are also.

Ps: But Smaug is the most iconic dragon of all. (:

Man I must have missed a good chunk of the first few books

On 3/23/2018 at 0:57 AM, Rhae_Valarie said:

It's hard for me to remember a time before I was obsessed with ASOIAF, lol, but thinking back I vaguely remember having a construction of dragons that is very different than it is now. In my mind, dragons were usually green, had six limbs, and possessed a more human like temperament, sometimes even speaking. And this was the stereotypical depiction I saw of them in media as well. But I feel that the popularity of the series and the show has changed the way people depict dragons. I can't tell you how often I see artwork that shows a black dragon with reddish, bat like wings, a la Drogon. I have also seen much more four limbed dragons recently as well. 

So my question: do you notice the effect that Drogon has had on our construction of dragons and does this make him the single most iconic dragon of all time? What are your other top contenders? (The only one I can really think of is Smaug, who come to think of it, is depicted in the movies as being surprisingly Drogonish (in color and limb count) despite being drawn by Tolkien as scarlet and having six limbs).

Smaug is the classic dragon and Drogon is the modern idea of how a dragon should look like.  So yeah, Drogon is an icon.  

11 hours ago, The Transporter said:

I definitely agree.  

I love that vid.  Daenerys + Drogon = Wonderful.  Adding Kimmel was a bonus.  

11 hours ago, The Transporter said:

The novels are destined to become timeless classics.  It is inevitable that Daenerys and Drogon will both reach icon status.  For the moment, Drogon is on his way to icon status.

They already are.  Daenerys Targaryen and her dragons will be the most remembered characters from the novels.  

On 3/23/2018 at 0:57 AM, Rhae_Valarie said:

So my question: do you notice the effect that Drogon has had on our construction of dragons and does this make him the single most iconic dragon of all time? What are your other top contenders? (The only one I can really think of is Smaug, who come to think of it, is depicted in the movies as being surprisingly Drogonish (in color and limb count) despite being drawn by Tolkien as scarlet and having six limbs).

He's the most famous dragon at the moment.  The Daenerys and Drogon scenes are always the high points on the show.   More and more people will read the books and people's ideas of dragons will adjust based on how they vision Drogon.  But regardless, Drogon is an icon right now and will be for the future. 

On 3/24/2018 at 8:55 AM, The Transporter said:

I definitely agree.  

Drogon is very well known in popular culture.  He's not a niche dragon that is only popular among fans of sci-fi fantasy.  His popularity transcends the realm of science fiction and fantasy. 

On 3/24/2018 at 8:03 AM, Ferocious Veldt Roarer said:

Show!Drogon.

And, whether you've read the books or watched the show, you'll know two significantly different dragons, even if name's the same.

That's at the peak of the HBO show's popularity. Let me ask you this: Ed Sheeran's "Divide" was the best selling album of 2017. Does it make Ed Sheeran the most iconic musician of all time? (Sheeran, BTW, did guest star on "Game of Thrones").

(I also wonder, how the design of Smaug could have been influenced by Drogon, considering that the pre-production of the Hobbit movies started in 2008 - shooting in 2011, premiere in November 2012 - while the first season of GOT aired in April 2012, and Drogon was but an egg then).

Good points! Can you clarify the major differences between the appearance of Drogon in the show versus the books? All I know is that the basics are the same -- limb count, coloring, intelligence level. I believe that I've read before that there are differences, but I've never encountered specifics. I don't really consider these two different dragons, just two different depictions of the same one. 

Also, I agree that the show version of Drogon couldn't have influenced Smaug's design, I just thought it was a surprising coincidence. I wonder if the series could have provided some inspiration of how to depict Smaug in a modern way for the movie (because the four limbs and black and red coloring are consistent between the books and show)? Or perhaps it truly was just a coincidence. 

On 3/23/2018 at 10:49 AM, Kandrax said:

Most dragon is St. George's dragon

At first, I didn't want to include St. George's dragon because it seems... underdeveloped compared to Drogon or Smaug. We've gotten to know Drogon and Smaug through countless written words and have seen them in movies and television shows. At this point audiences have spent so much time with those dragons, we understand their personalities/temperaments and their physical appearance. St. George's dragon doesn't have a well known personality or appearance (or even a distinct name!)

However, I think St. George's dragon had a profound effect on how dragons were depicted as villains and adversaries to be slayed by the valiant knight (we all know the trope). So because St. George's dragon helped to initially popularize this now well known dragon trope, I think its iconic status can't be denied even if it wasn't as well developed as modern icons.

6 hours ago, Damsel in Distress said:

Drogon is very well known in popular culture.  He's not a niche dragon that is only popular among fans of sci-fi fantasy.  His popularity transcends the realm of science fiction and fantasy. 

My thoughts exactly. In addition, audiences have now spent more time with Drogon than any other dragon. Even taking the show and the series separately, Drogon has been featured extensively, but when you combine the time spent between the show and the series, I don't think even Smaug (in the Hobbit book and movie series) comes close. Not saying Drogon is a better dragon that Smaug or any other, just more influential and well known. Although others are right in saying it may be to early to call it. We still probably haven't seen the full extent of Drogons influence 

28 minutes ago, Rhae_Valarie said:

Good points! Can you clarify the major differences between the appearance of Drogon in the show versus the books? 

Size, for starters! And history, too.

Book!Drogon actually had a rider - Dany - only in the latest chapters of the latest book published so far. He's never seen actual battle - not a bar brawl like that one in Meereen's fighting pit. Up until recently, he wasn't much more than a pet - unique, but a pet nevertheless.

The difference is maybe smaller than, say, between Missandei and Missandei, but not by much.

28 minutes ago, Rhae_Valarie said:

All I know is that the basics are the same -- limb count, coloring, intelligence level. I believe that I've read before that there are differences, but I've never encountered specifics. I don't really consider these two different dragons, just two different depictions of the same one. 

Also, I agree that the show version of Drogon couldn't have influenced Smaug's design, I just thought it was a surprising coincidence. I wonder if the series could have provided some inspiration of how to depict Smaug in a modern way for the movie (because the four limbs and black and red coloring are consistent between the books and show)? Or perhaps it truly was just a coincidence. 

It's also, in general, similar to the (seriously old) coat of arms of Wales...

That's just one of the most common images of (European) dragon existing in our collective minds.

10 minutes ago, Ferocious Veldt Roarer said:

The difference is maybe smaller than, say, between Missandei and Missandei, but not by much

Do you mean book!Missandei and the abomination's [a]version of Missandei? If so, I think  there's a huuuuuuge ginormous massive difference between the two, like, it's two completely different characters...

Archived