Is Drogon the most iconic dragon of all time?

Rhae_Valarie

When I was a kid, the dragon Serendipty was my favorite thing in the whole wide world. This is an iconic dragon. I read all of those books and more. 

Then I found this dragon here. I figured out a way to perch/clamp this dragon onto my shoulder and it went with me everywhere. Everywhere! What can I say, young leeches have narrow shoulders. This dragon is also iconic.

Show!Drogon, not so much because he is rather generic looking. Book Drogon looks very different from the abomination version , but probably not iconic level yet. Maybe one day. 

On 3/23/2018 at 4:27 AM, Free Northman Reborn said:

There was a formidable Red Dragon I had to defeat in either Baldur's Gate 2 or one of the Ice Wind Dale campaigns. I think it may have been in Baldur's Gate, on my journey to find Jon Irenicus.

Anyway, it killed me many times and seems to stick in my memory because of that.

I think you're talking about Firkraag. I loved the Baldur's Gate games!

Yeah, there are many more iconic dragons in lore and stories than Drogon (or even Balerion the Black Dread) but I think this thread is in serious need of some more Silmarillion, Hobbit, and LotR dragon action:

Individual dragons

• Glaurung — Father of Dragons, slain by Túrin Turambar. First of the Uruloki, the Fire-drakes of Angband. He had four legs and could breathe fire, but didn't have wings.
  • Ancalagon the Black — first and mightiest of the Winged-dragons, slain by Eärendil in the War of Wrath.
  • Scatha — Slain by Fram of the Éothéod. Apparently a cold-drake. Described as a "long-worm", although this imprecise term seems to be more of an expression rather than a separate taxonomic group.
  • Smaug — the last great dragon of Middle-earth, slain by Bard of Esgaroth. A winged Urulokë.
  • An unnamed dragon appears in Hobbit verse, said to have had red eyes, black wings and teeth like knives.[16]
  • Beast of Gondolin — A Fire-Drake at the Fall of Gondolin.

And, as has been mentioned upthread, Tolkien was of course taking much inspiration from earlier lore such as Beowulf, etc.

On 3/26/2018 at 1:31 AM, WildlingWitch said:

The Dragon from Beowulf would defiantly be considered iconic considering it influenced the image of later dragons. 

That's really interesting. I'm not that familiar with that dragon, but I'll have to look into it!

Classic

1. Fafnir of Volsung saga/Nibelungenlied

2. St Maarten’s dragon 

3. St. George’s 

Of popular modern culture

4. Elliot

5. Smaug 

6. Balerion

7. Falcor

8. Viserion

9. Drogon 

10. Malifecent  

On 3/24/2018 at 0:57 AM, Rhae_Valarie said:

I'm more talking about Drogon being an icon of popular culture, rather than in universe or even among fans of fantasy. For instance, whether you've read the books or watched the show you are going to know who Drogon is and have a general sense of what he looks like. However, there are probably plenty of casual fans of just the show who have no idea who Balerion is (even though he is much more well known in universe). In addition, if someone said something along the lines of "Daenery's dragon" or "the dragon from Game of Thrones" most people would consider that to be a reference to Drogon. For instance, I know so many casual fans of the show (and even some of the series) who can never remember the names of Rhaegal and Viserion, or the general description of their appearance. For them, Drogon and his relationship with Dany, is what is truly emblematic of the show and series. 

Drogon has been an icon of popular culture since his Momma walked out of that burning funeral pyre.  A Song of Ice and Fire is already one of the most popular book series in its genre.  Dany and Drogon are icons of the genre and of pop culture.  They're not just hip though.  Drogon may redefine the relationship between the human and the dragon.  Most dragons are portrayed as villains but Drogon is a hero.  He has already saved mother Dany twice.  That makes him a hero to me.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived