The Game

a free shadow

THE END

Their names were spoken last by those who died

1. Given honor over wives - repercussions unavoidable. / Lyanna Stark (He sank to his knees and with his last breath murmured a woman's name/ the theory answer)

2. Boy burying idyllic age, developing form./ Jon Snow (You know nothing, Jon Snow)

3. Backhand belittles infatuation: adolescent duelling fail./ Petyr Baelish (Only one? Oh, Petyr, do you swear it? Only one?)

4. ‘Big-headed bubba is adorable diddums’ – female. / Elia Martell (Elia. Say it! Elia. Of Dorne!)

5. Bared breast in a daring fashion. / Daenerys (Sister, please … Dany, tell them …)

6. Blatantly beggared incautiously accepting darling's flamboyance./ Jorah Mormont (Tell Jorah. Forgive him. My son. Please. Go.)

7. Began boldly. Insulted ally. Dramatically fatal. / Robb Stark (On my honor as a Tully, on my honor as a Stark, I will trade your boy's life for Robb's. A son for a son.)

8. Boreal baron's icy attention damns forswearers. / Eddard Stark (M'lord Eddard always did his own killings. -- Farlen)

9. Bored brat, ironed and divinely frocked. / Joffrey Baratheon (Joffrey Baratheon is the one true heir to the Iron Throne. -- Eddard Stark)

10. “Girls happily offload wool, rehydrate undressed. / Robert Baratheon (He kept saying Robert's name -- Lysa, about Jon Arryn/ can also technically be a theory answer)

First three names were said by those who loved them, other four - by family members, the last three - by their subjects.

When I did not have ten players, the third small group was the names of the ones who killed them, but I could not do it with ten, and it got harder... :ninja: 

Nobody guessed the theme, but those who got "death", got one point.

The most difficult clues to guess were Elia and Lyanna (guessed by one pair each), but I like them :ninja: 

Cast your favorite votes as soon as you can! They will decide the winner of the game :ninja: Before you dismiss any clues, think about them first, they might really be your favorite!

5 minutes ago, Dolorous Gabe said:

Seconded.

Thirded

5 minutes ago, Dolorous Gabe said:

I think "bubba" was a very bad word choice. Seems deliberately misleading to me.

Disagree.  Especially when paired with "diddums".

Wow.

- I confess I still don't get #1. At all.

- I guess #4 refers to Elia looking at baby Tyrion. The dictionaries I consulted for bubba say: 1) "sometimes used to address or refer to a boy or a man, especially the eldest child in a family" ; 2) "redneck", which in turn is defined as "a white member of the Southern rural laboring class" and 3) "Used as an affectionate form of address to a brother". 

That's three different dictionaries. 

How was I to guess that it would refer to  youngest child aristocrat Tyrion as spoken by Elia (to whom Tyrion is not a brother)? 

- # 2: I actually thought of Jon Snow. But it could have been Robb Stark just as well. Even Bran, though he is developing a different "form", yet burying applies to him in two ways. Even Sweetrobin (recently lost his mother, who had still been breasfeeding him) is said to have "grown".  

- #7: It could be Viserys (boldly insulted the Dothraki, dramatc death); Joffrey (boldy insulted Tyrion before dramatically dying during th Purple Wedding) or Aerys II (he was a fighter as a young man, so bold, later insulted Tywin, died in a dramatic way). 

Clue 1. Rhaegar made Lyanna the Queen of Love and Beauty over Elia, Robert kept humiliating Cersei over the memory of her, and, also, Eddard kept his promise to her even if it made Catelyn unhappy. I think it is not easy, but a smart clue.

Clue 2. While it can be made to fit quite a few people, that is also a sign that there is something else in the clue that makes it fit someone best. The idea is that it fits Jon best for ongoing "Kill the boy, and let the man be born". I believe nearly everybody got it right...

Clue 4. Most of the words have synonyms. Among other things, "bubba" means "baby" and "brother". In the scene Cersei was showcasing her brother, and, as mentioned by Bell, "baby" is the one meaning that makes most sense in combination with "diddums". I was against the clue, but the more I thought about it, the more I like it.

Clue 7. In my opinion, both Joffrey and Aerys would be a stretch. Insulting Tyrion was not what was fatal for Joffrey and vaguely stringing together Aerys's past and death is also so-so. I have really considered if I should clarify Viserys, I think it might be the strongest alternative, but what has Viserys ever begun boldly? "Boldly" and "insulted" are clearly separated, so even if someone might call his insults "bold", the clue indicated two separate things. These things might be small, but that is how clues can work... :ninja: 

I really was hoping somebody might get the theme... :ninja: 

38 minutes ago, a free shadow said:

Clue 1. Rhaegar made Lyanna the Queen of Love and Beauty over Elia, Robert kept humiliating Cersei over the memory of her, and, also, Eddard kept his promise to her even if it made Catelyn unhappy. I think it is not easy, but a smart clue.

What were the repercussions for naming Lyanna QoLaB over Elia?

I can recall one instance of Robert specifically humiliating Cersei over Lyanna's memory, but I may be wrong. Shouting Lyanna's name while in bed with Cersei means a very dubious kind of "honour" though. (Simply offending one woman doesn't necessarily mean honour for the other.)

Then again, what were the repercussions for Eddard keeping his promise to Lyanna and keeping it secret from Catelyn?

It seems there were repercussions only in the case of Cersei, who is just one wife, and honour fits that situation the least. 

Clue 2. While it can be made to fit quite a few people, that is also a sign that there is something else in the clue that makes it fit someone best. The idea is that it fits Jon best for ongoing "Kill the boy, and let the man be born". I believe nearly everybody got it right...

OK, I can accept this.

Clue 4. Most of the words have synonyms. Among other things, "bubba" means "baby" and "brother". In the scene Cersei was showcasing her brother, and, as mentioned by Bell, "baby" is the one meaning that makes most sense in combination with "diddums". I was against the clue, but the more I thought about it, the more I like it.

I don't know what it has to do with synonyms. Anyway, it's too bad I couldn't find the 'baby' meaning anywhere. 

Clue 7. In my opinion, both Joffrey and Aerys would be a stretch. Insulting Tyrion was not what was fatal for Joffrey and vaguely stringing together Aerys's past and death is also so-so. I have really considered if I should clarify Viserys, I think it might be the strongest alternative, but what has Viserys ever begun boldly? "Boldly" and "insulted" are clearly separated, so even if someone might call his insults "bold", the clue indicated two separate things. These things might be small, but that is how clues can work... :ninja: 

In my opinion, Aerys insulting Tywin has a definite connection with Aerys being killed by Jaime in the end. That's really a matter of opinion. However, if "boldly" and "insulted" are separated in the clue (thus indicating that they refer to two separate things), then "Insulted ally" and "Dramatically fatal" are just as separated in the clue, so by the same logic nothing indicates that the insult and the dramatic fatality have to be in a causal relationship, which perfectly allows for Aerys. (He was bold in the beginning, later not so much. He insulted Tywin. He died in a dramatic way.)  For the same reason, Joffrey would also fit quite well, even if his death has nothing to do with insulting Tyrion. Viserys can be ruled out only if we can be sure that "boldly" cannot have anything to do with the insult, which seems a bit of a stretch. 

I really was hoping somebody might get the theme... :ninja: 

He rode past his wife and he lay a crown of winter roses in Lyanna’s lap, blue as frost. How many tens of thousands had to die because Rhaegar chose your aunt?

I can recall one instance of Robert specifically humiliating Cersei over Lyanna's memory, but I may be wrong. Shouting Lyanna's name while in bed with Cersei means a very dubious kind of "honour" though.

No sooner had those formalities of greeting been completed than the king had said to his host, "Take me down to your crypt, Eddard. I would pay my respects."

Ned loved him for that, for remembering her still after all these years. He called for a lantern. No other words were needed. The queen had begun to protest. They had been riding since dawn, everyone was tired and cold, surely they should refresh themselves first. The dead would wait. She had said no more than that; Robert had looked at her, and her twin brother Jaime had taken her quietly by the arm, and she had said no more.

Then again, what were the repercussions for Eddard keeping his promise to Lyanna and keeping it secret from Catelyn? 

Catelyn feeling unhappy and hurt that her husband had a bastard child.

I don't know what it has to do with synonyms. Anyway, it's too bad I couldn't find the 'baby' meaning anywhere. 

That "bubba" does not mean "southern uneducated man", exclusively. "Baby" explanation is on the outskirts: https://www.lingo2word.com/lingodetail.php?WrdID=55440https://www.wordwebonline.com/en/BUBhttp://www.babynamescountry.com/meanings/Bubba.html, but "brother" is not and I do think "diddums" makes it work.

In my opinion, Aerys insulting Tywin has a definite connection with Aerys being killed by Jaime in the end.

But it has no connection with "began boldly", or at least much less than in case of Robb.

However, if "boldly" and "insulted" are separated in the clue (thus indicating that they refer to two separate things), then "Insulted ally" and "Dramatically fatal" are just as separated in the clue, so by the same logic nothing indicates that the insult and the dramatic fatality have to be in a causal relationship.

Separation simply indicates that it is not the same thing. So if the interpretation (as I understand) is that Viserys was bold by insulting Khal Drogo, it works against it.

2 hours ago, Raisin' Bran said:

You are diabolical.

I want to agree with this but - This was the most frustrating amazing 2 rounds of this game I have ever played.Thank you for your imagination @a free shadow! :bowdown:

That said I must share a few thoughts:

Clue #4 - As far as the use of "bubba", being from the southern rural laboring class ;) I confess I did not need the subject and the bubba to be related, however I did have issues with "diddums". I considered the bed-headed part to clearly identify Tyrion or the Mountain, and I had only really heard this word, diddums (or seen it in print), in the Harry Potter series. Aunt Petunia calls Dudley a series of sugary endearments and diddums is one of them. However when I googled the word it said -

Interjection. diddums. (Britain) A term of commiseration to a child who has suffered a mildly painful situation. (by extension) A sarcastic commiseration to somebody seen to be complaining too much about hurt feelings.

Based on this definition, our first thought was Lysa or Sansa speaking to Sweetrobin. We went with Sansa because she fit our working theme idea concerning death warrants. When that guess was wrong I thought the sarcastic definition must be more on point which pointed to Cersei. Extensive research did not turn up a quote by Cersei that could have been paraphrased like the clue. We even researched the Sand Snakes discussing the Mountain's skull, again nothing. Even though I generally think everyone who plays this game is brilliant, this clue made me mad sad frustrated defeated resigned to failure :bawl:.

Congratulations to whomever managed to get this one!

59 minutes ago, a free shadow said:

He rode past his wife and he lay a crown of winter roses in Lyanna’s lap, blue as frost. How many tens of thousands had to die because Rhaegar chose your aunt?

I can recall one instance of Robert specifically humiliating Cersei over Lyanna's memory, but I may be wrong. Shouting Lyanna's name while in bed with Cersei means a very dubious kind of "honour" though.

No sooner had those formalities of greeting been completed than the king had said to his host, "Take me down to your crypt, Eddard. I would pay my respects."

Ned loved him for that, for remembering her still after all these years. He called for a lantern. No other words were needed. The queen had begun to protest. They had been riding since dawn, everyone was tired and cold, surely they should refresh themselves first. The dead would wait. She had said no more than that; Robert had looked at her, and her twin brother Jaime had taken her quietly by the arm, and she had said no more.

Catelyn feeling unhappy and hurt that her husband had a bastard child.

So ultimately the repercussions are simply the wives being hurt - something that has nothing to do with the subject - and that thousands died, a fact which was not really the consequence of the honour in question (QoLaB). I see. ;)

That "bubba" does not mean "southern uneducated man", exclusively. "Baby" explanation is on the outskirts: https://www.lingo2word.com/lingodetail.php?WrdID=55440https://www.wordwebonline.com/en/BUBhttp://www.babynamescountry.com/meanings/Bubba.html, but "brother" is not and I do think "diddums" makes it work.

The link you provided took me to the Lingo2Word site. A typed bubba, and this is what I got: "Do you mean baby?" Is that really a definition or does it mean that the site can't find the word and suggests another one, which contains similar letters? Anyway, how can I guess a meaning that I don't even find in major dictionaries, when I don't even know that I have to  search for more meanings? 

In my opinion, Aerys insulting Tywin has a definite connection with Aerys being killed by Jaime in the end.

But it has no connection with "began boldly", or at least much less than in case of Robb.

How do I know what is connected and what is not? Aerys was a soldier and became a knight early in his life, so he "began boldly", but later wasn't particularly bold. Robb didn't only "began" boldly, he was brave and bold through and through. 

However, if "boldly" and "insulted" are separated in the clue (thus indicating that they refer to two separate things), then "Insulted ally" and "Dramatically fatal" are just as separated in the clue, so by the same logic nothing indicates that the insult and the dramatic fatality have to be in a causal relationship.

Separation simply indicates that it is not the same thing. So if the interpretation (as I understand) is that Viserys was bold by insulting Khal Drogo, it works against it.

If this is so, then the "insulted" and "fatal" parts are not the same thing either. So if Viserys is out because "began boldly" and "insulted ally" are clearly not the same thing, then Robb must also be out because "insulted" and "fatal" cannot be the same thing either (as they are separated in the clue in the same way "began boldly" and "insulted ally" are separated), which means insulting the ally can't be the dramatically fatal thing (as it is with Robb). That leaves Aerys, where all three things are separated. 

So, Lyanna was honored by various men more than their own wives were? Ok, I guess. It makes whole a lot of sense that way. It reads differently and there's no way to tell wives is compared to the subject as opposed to the honors but... perhaps that's why it's a good clue. Unsolvable if read wrong but effective if read correctly.

22 minutes ago, Julia H. said:

So ultimately the repercussions are simply the wives being hurt - something that has nothing to do with the subject - and that thousands died, a fact which was not really the consequence of the honour in question (QoLaB). I see. ;)

I say "Queen of Love an Beauty", because I am on a low budget for words, not many left :ninja:  I hope it is not impossible to see the meaning that Rhaegar choosing Lyanna over Elia has had monster repercussions. Robert and Cersei not being able to make it work had repercussions. Even if it had not, wives being hurt are repercussions, yes, they are even mentioned in the clue. 

29 minutes ago, Julia H. said:

The link you provided took me to the Lingo2Word site. A typed bubba, and this is what I got: "Do you mean baby?" Is that really a definition or does it mean that the site can't find the word and suggests another one, which contains similar letters? Anyway, how can I guess a meaning that I don't even find in major dictionaries, when I don't even know that I have to  search for more meanings? 

For me, it is one of the first page Google results (one of the last, but first page). And no, not an alternative suggestion. To answer the last thought, I would still accept the clue if "bubba" only meant "brother", because Cersei was introducing her brother.

33 minutes ago, Julia H. said:

How do I know what is connected and what is not?  

I think of clues as a whole. There must be something there that has a thought and meaning, and sequence behind it, not random separate pieces. It seems we disagree what is random.

38 minutes ago, Julia H. said:

If this is so, then the "insulted" and "fatal" parts are not the same thing either. So if Viserys is out because "began boldly" and "insulted ally" are clearly not the same thing, then Robb must also be out because "insulted" and "fatal" cannot be the same thing either (as they are separated in the clue in the same way "began boldly" and "insulted ally" are separated), which means insulting the ally can't be the dramatically fatal thing (as it is with Robb). That leaves Aerys, where all three things are separated. 

Yes, not the same. Robb insulted Walder (one). Walder killed him (two). As for "clearly", I do think it is clear, but I was not suggesting it is, simply that it is an additional detail pointing the right way.

Without meaning anything malicious (but am tired), I do not feel that it matters whatever I say (i.e. having to argue that Rhaegar/Lyanna had consequences), so I will take a break.

2 hours ago, Dolorous Gabe said:

I have never heard of bubba meaning baby and my searches for other meanings found nothing that suggests it does.

bubby bubba bubbems bubbaboo ittle bubbums 

I suppose it is because you are male.

4 hours ago, a free shadow said:

1. Given honor over wives - repercussions unavoidable

2 hours ago, a free shadow said:

I will reluctantly agree.

I thought Ellaria was a better answer for #1 due to a specific quote where Tyrion wonders how Cersei will be able to place her (a mistress) at the wedding without causing trouble and wondering if Oberyn had come to start a war. Then later, it is described how she has a place of honour near the high table but as far from the Tyrells as possible.

I thought about Lyanna several times because I thought of Rhaegar riding past the many women not just Elia to give her the crown of love and beauty. His offence wasn't in choosing her over the women present in general though but in choosing her over his own wife. It wouldn't have mattered if she was someone else's wife it would have been equally offensive.

However its true placing Ellaria at the table didn't in the long term have repercussions, that was just a thought Tyrion had.

The Robb clue was odd. It is a perfectly good summary of his life but if Jez had not suggested Robb I would have pursued other lines endlessly. I can't remember what other ideas I had, possible I was looking for someone who set out on a journey 'started boldly'. 

The theme was brilliant. And its a traditional theme, not some fancy newfangled thing that I was expecting. 

48 minutes ago, a free shadow said:

I say "Queen of Love an Beauty", because I am on a low budget for words, not many left :ninja:  I hope it is not impossible to see the meaning that Rhaegar choosing Lyanna over Elia has had monster repercussions. Robert and Cersei not being able to make it work had repercussions. Even if it had not, wives being hurt are repercussions, yes, they are even mentioned in the clue. 

Fine.

For me, it is one of the first page Google results (one of the last, but first page). And no, not an alternative suggestion. To answer the last thought, I would still accept the clue if "bubba" only meant "brother", because Cersei was introducing her brother.

Actually, it would have been perfectly possible to use baby or brother... 

I think of clues as a whole. There must be something there that has a thought and meaning, and sequence behind it, not random separate pieces. It seems we disagree what is random.

I did not say anything was random. You mentioned that certain things were "separated" by the clue. But, in fact, there is no rule that says how separate two things mentioned in two sentences in the same clue are supposed to be. You make it sound as though it were perfectly self-evident, but if you don't know the answer, you can never take these things for granted either way. 

Yes, not the same. Robb insulted Walder (one). Walder killed him (two). As for "clearly", I do think it is clear, but I was not suggesting it is, simply that it is an additional detail pointing the right way.

Or: Robb insulted Walder with fatal consequences. (One thing.)

Or: Viserys began boldly, holding a weapon where he should not have had one. Then he insulted Drogo. (Two things.)

You may be right, and I may be right. "Same" and "different" are up to interpretation here. 

Without meaning anything malicious (but am tired), I do not feel that it matters whatever I say (i.e. having to argue that Rhaegar/Lyanna had consequences), so I will take a break.

Which is not what I argued at all. But never mind. 

I'm tired as well.

Archived