POV number of chapters prediction.

Kandrax

When ADWD ends, there's so many different characters with their own arcs and plots going around, that I wouldn't be surprised if Martin had to split the next saga into 2 book using the same format as AFFC and ADWD, and then add an additional 8th book. Except where ADWD goes well beyond where AFFC ends, the second book ends at around the same time frame as the first. 

If not, maybe he'll tear a page out of Tolkein's book and split TWOW into 2 parts focusing on different regions and characters. Part 1 can  take place in King's Landing, the Riverlands, the Vale, Bravos, Stormlands, Dorne, Reach, and Oldtown. Part 2 could take place in the North, Iron Islands, at the Wall and beyond, and further east in Essos. Let's say part 1 lasts about 650 pages, but at around the 300 page mark, certain characters like Jamie, Sansa, and Arya start disappearing because they're changing locations. Then, in part 2, at around the 1000 page mark, they start reappearing and the book continues that way for another 500-600 pages. Whatever happens, the next book is gonna rule.

Here's my prediction that probably won't be anywhere close to what's gonna happen:

Part 1:

Cersie - 7

Brienne - 6

Arianne - 6

Jon Conn - 5

Sam - 5

Sansa - 5

Aeron - 4

Areo Hotah - 3

Arya - 3

Jamie - 2

1 Prologue - 47 chapters

Part 2:

Dany - 9

Davos - 7

Barristan - 6

Tyrion - 6

Victarion - 5

Asha - 4

Mel - 4

Jamie - 4

Arya - 4

Theon - 3

Bran - 3

Sansa - 3

Ghost (with Jon warging him) - 2

with all the chaos at the wall, wouldn't be surprising if Martin gave a few chapters to a new POV there. Maybe a wildling like Tormund or Val.

1 prologue and epilogue- about 65 chapters.

So that's around 112 chapters, which sounds ridiculous. But factor in how long he's been working on it, and everything that's been set up in the past 2 books, and it doesn't seem too out there.

Okay, here are my predictions along with where I think we will be plot wise at the end of the book.

Dany - 10

Tyrion - 10

Jon - 11

Arya - 7

Sansa - 7

Bran - 6

Arianne - 5

Asha - 2

Theon - 3

Barristan - 3

Brienne - 4

Jaime - 5

Cersei - 6

Davos - 6

Jon Con - 3

Mel - 3

Sam - 4

Vicatrion 3

Total: 98 chapters. If we estimate  an average 15 pages per chapter, that is 1470 pages...sounds about right.

I think  A Dream of Spring will be focused on the threat of the Others invading Westeros and who ultimately sits on the Iron Throne.  In order for this to happen, I believe that a) The Wall has to come down by the end of the book and b ) Dany has to land on Westeros and interact with at least some of the major players (not necessarily all of them, but Jon or Aegon, at a minimum)

11 minutes ago, Jekse said:

To be honest I don't think Bran is going to get a POV in TWoW, if he does, not more than one or two chapters, it would simply reveal too much

I think it would depend on how the novel is structured. He could have one or two at the beginning and the rest at the end, or vice versa. I have some page estimates, which could be totally off, but I do try to look at how he has written in the past when calculating.  Personally, I think that the novel is going to begin with the Mercy chapter, a Bran chapter, a chapter with Jon in Ghost and then another Arya chapter (~60 pages). Then, the next ~150-200 pages is going to be Dany/Meereen centric, with viewpoints of Dany, Tyrion, Barristan, Victarion, and as I mentioned earlier, I think Arya is going to get joined into this arc somehow. From there, there will be a swift move to the North, where there will be Asha, Theon, Davos, Mel, and Jon chapters, and maybe another Bran. I estimate this to take ~100-150 pages. At this point, if we use my upper limit estimations, we are at ~410 pages, to just wrap up the cliff hangers of ADWD and maybe move the plot a bit further.

after that point, though, I think plot arcs are going to start to blend and converge, starting with the Riverlands, Vale, King's Landing, Dorne, and the Storm lands.  Shoot! I forgot to include a couple people in my estimates. Areo and Aeron have chapters, too, that have been confirmed, have they not?  Must start thinking again.

1 hour ago, HelenaExMachina said:

Bran is confirmed at least one chapter. I remember a crashing wave of jealousy because his editor has read a Bran chapter. It was in an interview she did around the time WOAIF was released I think

Do you have a source to confirm?

Okay, here are my revisions: Areo 2 and Aeron 3.  Total: 103 chapters at ~15 pages per chapter would equal 1545 pages. Again, in line with what we have come to expect from Martin's novels. 

I thought about my theories and predictions for the novel and how this will affect how many chapters each character will have.  As we start to look towards the end game, many of these viewpoints are going to combine.  It could actually mean that TWOW will cover a lot more material than we think: if each pov chapter contains multiple pov characters (for instance, a Tyrion chapter that features Dany, Barristan, and Victarion) means that if there are a lot of time spans being covered It would be quite redundant to have a Tyrion, Dany, Barristan and Victarion chapter each describing the same meeting. Interesting, don't get me wrong! Each of their different impressions of one another would be a joy to read, but I would say that it would be an inefficient use of story time.

I think that the Battle of Meereen and the Battle of the Ice will have some povs segregated for a while, similar to what happened at the end of ACOK and the beginning of ASOS.  The Battle of Blackwater took so much of the end of Clash that Martin wrote a note at the beginning of Storm saying that some of these things happened concurrently. 

1 hour ago, Lady Rhodes said:

many of these viewpoints are going to combine.  It could actually mean that TWOW will cover a lot more material than we think: if each pov chapter contains multiple pov characters (for instance, a Tyrion chapter that features Dany, Barristan, and Victarion) means that if there are a lot of time spans being covered It would be quite redundant to have a Tyrion, Dany, Barristan and Victarion chapter each describing the same meeting. Interesting, don't get me wrong! Each of their different impressions of one another would be a joy to read, but I would say that it would be an inefficient use of story time.

Don't get me wrong, I love Tyrion. But we saw a lot of him in the last book and his cynical and bitter outlook grows tedious. If he's going to be in the same location as Barristan, and even Victarion during parts of the next book, then I'd rather see things through their perspectives. 

@Mooncalf and @Lady Rhodes, unless his chapters get a lot shorter, 100 chapters is probably way too many.  ASOS and ADWD were both described as being a long as could be done, and they were 82 and 73 chapters, respectively.  And the Arya, Theon, and Sansa preview chapters are each about the length of ADWD chapters (6,000 words or so).  Even if shortens his chapters, I have a hard time seeing him fitting in more than 90, if that.

This will mean that a lot of the stories get consolidated, with the principal characters (Jon, Dany, Tyrion, Sansa, Arya, and Bran) taking most of the load, I think.

9 hours ago, Jekse said:

To be honest I don't think Bran is going to get a POV in TWoW, if he does, not more than one or two chapters, it would simply reveal too much

Given that TWOW is the next to last book, I don't see how he could leave Bran out. He will probably get the least number of chapters of the main characters, though.

47 minutes ago, Nevets said:

@Mooncalf and @Lady Rhodes, unless his chapters get a lot shorter, 100 chapters is probably way too many.  ASOS and ADWD were both described as being a long as could be done, and they were 82 and 73 chapters, respectively.  And the Arya, Theon, and Sansa preview chapters are each about the length of ADWD chapters (6,000 words or so).  Even if shortens his chapters, I have a hard time seeing him fitting in more than 90, if that.

This will mean that a lot of the stories get consolidated, with the principal characters (Jon, Dany, Tyrion, Sansa, Arya, and Bran) taking most of the load, I think.

Given that TWOW is the next to last book, I don't see how he could leave Bran out. He will probably get the least number of chapters of the main characters, though.

This is what I get for responding on my lunch break and Not when I had my books handy! Hardcover of a dance with dragons 900 some and storm is just over a thousand. That said, I thought I had read in an interview transcript that he anticipates winds and DoS would be huge books of 1500 pages. 

http://www.syfy.com/syfywire/george-rr-martin-confirms-the-number-of-a-song-of-ice-and-fire-novels

4 hours ago, Lady Rhodes said:

This is what I get for responding on my lunch break and Not when I had my books handy! Hardcover of a dance with dragons 900 some and storm is just over a thousand. That said, I thought I had read in an interview transcript that he anticipates winds and DoS would be huge books of 1500 pages. 

http://www.syfy.com/syfywire/george-rr-martin-confirms-the-number-of-a-song-of-ice-and-fire-novels

Those are manuscript pages, which are quite a bit shorter than book pages.  It translates to about 900-1000 pages.  Which means 85 chapters is probably about the maximum, maybe 90 if he really tries.  Hopefully not 73.  I did a 73 version (upthread), and it is pretty ugly.

@Mooncalf;  Two books separated geographically?   You do realize that his decision to do that with AFFC and ADWD is probably the most unpopular thing he has done with the series?  I don't think he will do that again if only to avoid the angry reaction it would bring.

20 hours ago, Jekse said:

Do you have a source to confirm?

Seems I confused a couple of things in my head. It was an interview with Anne Groell in which she says she knows the end point for Bran (hence my recollection of burning jealousy at the time :P). Source:  https://winteriscoming.net/2014/05/29/george-r-r-martins-editor-anne-groell-answers-fan-questions-live-qa-hopes-twow-reasonably-soon/

We know that the producers of the TV show Game of Thrones know in broad strokes the ending of the main character arcs of A Song of Ice and Fire. Without giving anything away, do you know the ending, too?
No. George is a very secretive fellow, and guards his secrets well. I do know a few things from AWOW, but mainly because we had to shorten a few elements in the book as it was already getting too long, and he had to reveal a few secrets so I could help him redirect parts of the plot a bit. I do know the endpoint of Bran’s story line—and Daniel Abraham, who has been adapting the graphic novel of AGOT for me, knows where Tyrion ends up. (I am jealous of that!) But much in the way all of you have been keeping secrets from show watchers who have not yet read the books (and I continue to be impressed by how secret you all kept the Red Wedding), I also will never tell what I know. George has somehow managed to swear us all to this amazing conspiracy of silence, which I admire and appreciate and fully participate in! I had a very amusing lunch with Daniel in which we very pointedly did not tell each other what the other one knew. In short, like you, I Keep George’s Secrets.

There is an implication that some Bran stuff was pushed back there’s, but no confirmation. 

The confirmation of a Bran chapter comes from the photos of the DwD manuscript. This can be found in The Winds of Winter Resource thread in the OP, where all confirmed POVS so far are listed and sourced :) 

• 3 months later...

Let me take a whack at it on AGOT 22nd anniversary!

Dany - 8

Tyrion - 6

Jon - 5

Arya - 7

Sansa - 4

Bran - 2

Arianne/Jon Con - 5

Theon/Asha - 5

Barristan - 2 (I think we won't hear from him after the two chapters that George read)

Brienne/Jaime - 6

Cersei - 3

Davos - 3

Mel - 2

Sam/Aeron - 6

Vicatrion 2

Areo - 3

Prologue and Epilogue.  Total 71

• 4 weeks later...

I'm going to take a crack at this for Winds. Keep in mind that we don't know how long the chapters will be. First the big, obvious ones.

CERSEI - 9 or 10: Cersei is our only POV in King's Landing now and...it's on. Literally, it's about to go tf down in that city. She has four or five different factions gunning for her right now and she is all alone. If there was a time where her paranoia might be justified, it's now. But it's all her fault so my sympathy-o-meter is at an all-time low.

DAENERYS - 10, maybe more: Trust me, she needs it. First she needs to work out the situation she got left in - surrounded by an old enemy of hers and his  kingdom of horseriding super-warriors. Then she needs to go to Vaes Dothrak. Then she probably has to work her way to the top of the power structure there. (During this process, she needs to really, really toughen up). Then she has to deal with any opposition in her ranks (there will be opposition). Then she has to go all the way back to Meereen, link up with Barristan (if he's still living at the time), find out about Quentyn (yikes!), hook up with Tyrion and help clean up the situation there. Then she needs to deal with the other pro-slavery cities and the establishment. Then she has to get control of both her dragons and Victarion. Speaking of Vic, there's probably going to be a wedding. Then there's going to be "the Prince(ss) that was Promised" red priest spiel and maybe another Quaithe appearance. Then Marwyn has to get to her. Then she has to find out about Aegon and talk to Illyrio. I mean, she can split the more political chapters with Tyrion and all the wedding and maritime stuff can be given to Victarion but still...

BRAN - 7: It's about time we see him grow. Both as a character and in his person. We still know next to nothing about the Others, the Children, the Lands of Always Winter and why Westeros is so special. He hasn't felt like a main character since Clash. In Storm, Bran had like four chapters that were super-spread out, he didn't appear in Feast and he only had three chapters in Dance....three chapters which ended rather abruptly right in the middle of something big. Without a single resolution or conclusion.

SANSA - 8, maybe more: Everything about the amount of chapters Sansa gets depends on a question. Especially one of timing and placement. When does she get married? Where does she get married? Will Sansa go along with Littlefinger's plot with Harry or does she play it safe and hinge her bets on Robin...and how long will it take her to make a decision? How long until the Vale gets completely snowed in? Does she go straight from her wedding bed to the North or are there some twists and turns involved before she even makes it to the wedding bed? How long will the Tourney of the Winged Knights last?

Will she or Littlefinger risk her coming-out party if Cersei and the Tyrells (the Tyrells legit might not care though...can you imagine Cersei's reaction to the Tyrells not caring one iota about Sansa reappearing lol) are still in a powerful position? Is there going to be a move made against her by the mountain clans or Ser Shadrich or Myranda Royce or Harry the Heir? How big will that move be? Will Littlefinger betray her in a way similar to the way that he betrayed her in the show? When she gets in the North, will Stannis be in control? Will Jon? Will the Boltons? Will Rickon?

Too many variables. But it's obvious that a lot of stuff is going to happen here. So I'll just play on the safe side and give her 8.

ARYA - 9 or 10: I don't see Arya actually leaving for Westeros until Dream. Maybe she links up with or hides herself among Daenerys' possé. Idk. But I think that once she decides to leave the Faceless Men (it might take her 3 or 4 chapters to get to that point), her story-line is going to look a lot like a cross between Assassin's Creed, Mystique from X-Men, the Girl with the Dragon Tattoo series and the Jason Bourne series. Which will be absolutely I-N-C-R-E-D-I-B-L-E.

On top of that, Arya probably needs to brush up on her water-dancing skills (which shouldn't be too hard....there are bravos swordfighters everywhere in that city). Plus, there's a lot more stuff that we need to know about the Faceless Men before she officially leaves. It's also important to remember that she is the favorite character of GRRM's wife. Now that wouldn't matter in normal circumstances but Arya had no business being in Feast according to Martin's own rule...yet, there she was. And then she got even more chapters in Dance when Sansa, Samwell, Davos, Brienne and Bran either got nothing or a negligible amount. So yeah....GRRM is trying to get brownie points with his wife.

JON SNOW - 5: Jon probably needs one chapter to finish dying in with the end of that chapter slipping into Ghost. Then he needs to spend some chapters as Ghost. After all, someone has to try to treat with the Weeper. And we have been told time and time again that a living as a direwolf is a second life worthy of a king. The wildlings appear to revere direwolves. Then he needs a chapter to be pulled out of Ghost into his body (umm....traumatic). After that, he won't need any POVs because the dead and the undead don't get POVs anymore.

TYRION - 8: He actually won't need too much this time around. He'll be sharing with Daenerys, Barristan and Victarion. But if Martin really wants Tyrion to be the bad guy like he has repeatedly said he was, he has to start putting in more work this time around.

JON CONNINGTON - 4: These Aegon-centric chapters are important. JonCon will be our window into the Aegon machine from a insider POV and military, political angle. We have two big battles coming up: battle against Stannis' garrison at Storm's End and the battle against Mace Tyrell a little later. There's also that greyscale epidemic that's waiting to happen.

ARIANNE - 7: Arianne will be our outsider, a more romantic and a different kind of political window into the Aegon machine. Why 7? She spent the first two chapters travelling and doing nothing but think about Quentyn/Daenerys/Viserys and complain about her cousin so....yeah. The Stormlands aren't that big and they are right next door to King's Landing. So it shouldn't take her or JonCon long to get there. They'll probably get to King's Landing in Arianne V or VI or in JonCon 3. Arianne VII is probably going to be her wedding.

Wow, there's going to be a lot of weddings in this book.

AERON - 3: Pretty straightforward. Aeron is a prophet of the drowned god. Moqorro says that the drowned god is not only an evil demon but that the drowned god is working with the Great Other. Now, while I believe that Moqorro is right about the drowned god being evil, I think Moqorro may be oversimplifying things as far as the drowned god's relationship with the Great Other is concerned. So, the first Aeron chapter is probably the sample chapter we got with only minor additions and revisions. Then there's the second Aeron chapter which will show us the Battle of the Redwyne Straits which is likely to be a nightmarish. Then the third Aeron chapter would feature Aeron meeting Cthulhu (aka the Drowned God), finds out that the entity is pure evil and then dies.

Now the harder ones.

MELISANDRE - 9ishWell, this one is tricky. We need a POV at the Wall and Jon for obvious reasons is not going to be able to cut it. There's going to be a lot of stuff happening there. Then she needs to get to the point where she realizes Stannis is a lost cause, that her powers and her god are real and true and that Jon is worth bringing back to life. But I think she is going to be exposed first: maybe people will mistakenly believe she has been faking it the whole time or maybe people will find out she doesn't know what she's doing half of the time. And then when Jon comes back to life, I doubt he will have a POV chapter for himself anymore so Melisandre is probably going to be our POV looking at Jon. If GRRM has any sense, he has to get Jon away from the Wall and to Winterfell by the end of this book. So Mel is probably looking at 9 chapters

DAVOS - 6ishNow, with Davos, you can cheat a bit. Instead of picking up where you left off, you can literally have Davos approaching Skagos on a ship. Easy first chapter. Then you have Davos on Skagos treating with the Skagosi (or, should I say, Stoneborn), trying to stay alive and looking for Rickon. Easy two or three chapters. Then Davos leaves with Rickon. Something bad has to happen at this point. And then, Davos has to make it back to the mainland. Will he make the safest, easiest bet by going back to Eastwatch? Will he decide to take a shortcut straight across the Bay of Seals and head for Last Hearth? Will he make the mistake of assuming that Stannis went to go take the Dreadfort first and head to the Dreadfort? Will he try to make the trip back to White Harbor? Will he end up in Braavos on accident? That's where it gets tough. So, let's just assume Davos takes 6.

VICTARION - 5ishVictarion has never had a lot of chapters to his name and he's pretty much dead already. A lot of his story is probably going to be shared by Barristan, Tyrion and Daenerys. I can only picture him having chapters only as a naval commander and as Daenerys' consort: so that's one for the Battle of Meereen, one for his attempt at dragontaming, one for his wedding to Daenerys, one for Volantis and one for taking on the Triarchy of Myr, Lys and Tyrosh.

Then again, who knows how long the Battle of Meereen is supposed to take. Will he play a role in the inevitable destruction of Qarth? What about the Stepstones and Braavos?

SAMWELL - 6ish: This one is also pretty tricky. There are things that Sam absolutely needs to learn in the Citadel. Sam also needs to be able to see the city of Oldtown (GRRM is still going to be worldbuilding! read it and weep) before Euron beats the Redwynes, after Euron beats the Redwynes and when Euron arrives in Oldtown. There's also a lot going on within the Citadel with all the factions present: Alleras the Sphinx (who is probably a Sand Snake in disguise), the Faceless Men, the anti-magic faction of maesters, the "good," more open-minded maesters like Luwin. And then there's the uber-political maester conspiracy that Barbrey Dustin was harping on about. She's probably 70% right because Pycelle seems to have been a pro-Lannister rival of Varys, Littlefinger and Renly.

And I was just reading a Heresy thread (or was it a "would you let Sam inherit Horn Hill" thread) the other day where Samwell is reliving a traumatic memory about his father chaining him to a wall and leaving him there for days and then attempting to use blood magic to change him. I stood out to me because it sounded like it was foreshadowing Samwell personally meeting (and probably being enslaved) by Euron. Which will likely be necessary once Aeron dies. It's a lot but Sam has never had a bunch of chapters and it seems like they can all be condensed.

AREO - 4ish: Now, there ain't no telling how this is going to play out at all. It's amazing that we've never had a manhunt or an investigation take place in the series before though. So I don't know if Areo, Obara and Ser Balon are just going to make a straight beeline for High Hermitage (and most likely Starfall too) or if there will be any puzzles they will need to solve or obstacles they must overcome. And reading the Heresy threads has convinced me that something big has been happening off-screen in the Red Mountains and the Daynes, Ned, Lyanna and Rhaegar were right in the thick of it. And then I have my own personal theory that Dorne is experiencing the beginning of a massive peasant revolt and that they are going to turn on Prince Doran. I don't think that will happen until Dream but Areo's chapters are perfect for laying the groundwork to it. But I'm not entirely sure if Areo even make it back to Sunspear in Winds?

And now...let's talk about the ones that are almost impossible to hypothesize.

BARRISTAN - ??? (at least 3)

It's no secret that the show killed him off in season 5 before Daenerys took a vacation from Meereen. But why would the showrunners decide to do that? Maybe they are just idiots or maybe they are idiots who know something that we don't. Something like say Ser Barristan gets overshadowed, ousted or becomes superfluous once Tyrion becomes a part of the picture. Unlike Jorah and Tyrion both, Barristan is a good, strong man who is able to give Daenerys both very good advice and accurate history lessons. Daenerys is going to make some big mistakes in the last two books of the series. If Barristan is gone or shut out, then won't Daenerys be more likely to make some boneheaded moves. The old, powerful adviser has to die to put the hero in a difficult position where they have to make their own mistakes and find their own way. Happened with Obi Wan, Dumbledore, Gandalf, Jeor Mormont, Luwin, Merlin, etc.

Why not Barristan?

Tyrion also is becoming a person who brings out the absolute worst in people. He gave Aegon some very bad advice and Moqorro has basically said that Tyrion is going to be largely responsible for the war between Daenerys and Aegon. Everyone - and I mean E-V-E-R-Y-O-N-E - who has made Tyrion's acquaintance either fears Tyrion, hates Tyrion, strongly distrusts Tyrion, is disgusted by Tyrion or has a negative-indifferent opinion of Tyrion. Regardless of whether it's justified or not, they don't like him. Tyrion is slowly becoming a bad guy and Tyrion is going to want to use Daenerys for his own ends. Barristan is going to be Tyrion's biggest obstacle.

Barristan also likely knows the history and legacy of the Greyjoys very well. So much so that he would rather Daario marry Daenerys instead of Victarion.

Barristan might also very well die during or after the Battle of Meereen concludes. Since Daenerys will be back by that time and Victarion and Tyrion will be there to cover the peripherals which would made Barristan superfluous.

Then again, I think the character GRRM regrets killing off is Barristan Selmy. And I think that we could really use a old person survive to see the Second Long Night and the Second Dance play out. Olenna and Old Nan would be fantastic but Barristan would be interesting.

THEON and ASHA - ??? (at least 1 for Theon and 1 for Asha)

I actually made a thread on this. Nobody seems to know what to make of these two Greyjoy kids. Especially since both are POVs with their own storylines. Theon is so closely connected to the North, Winterfell and the old gods that he could have been named Theon Stark and not too much about his story would have changed. Asha, on the other hand, is Ironborn 100%, Balon's heir and the one of the few people who recognizes the value of making the Iron Islands more of an integral part of the mainland Seven Kingdoms. There's also a lot of people who think that Asha is pregnant.

They are not likely to be separated from each other anytime soon (which is really, really sweet) but their own stories are pulling them in very, very different directions.

Like someone has to be a POV for the Battle of Winterfell. There are none in Winterfell - which might prove to be a big problem - so it has to be someone within Stannis' camp. Asha has super thick plot armor thanks to Stannis and Theon can't die until we get into the second half of the book. Don't the Ironborn have one last stronghold in the North at Torrhen's Square? Stannis might need them there.

I think Asha is going to call another Kingsmoot by bringing back Theon to the Iron Islands. Which is going to piss Euron off. Which means that Euron's story must jump from Aeron in the Redwyne Straits to Samwell in Oldtown to Theon/Asha back in the Iron Islands.

Who knows how many chapters that requires? And how will GRRM decide to divide the story. 

JAIME and BRIENNE - ???

The only way they both can get out of this situation alive is if:

1. Brienne invokes Catelyn's oath that she will not stand in the way of Brienne avenging Renly when the time comes...and someone vouches for Brienne
  2. UnCat plans to do something worse to Jaime than just killing him.
  3. They both join forces and kill UnCat and the Brotherhood without Banners just lets that happen

#3 is cheap fanfic but #1 and #2 are still very possible. It also makes a way for these two characters to split up.

Thoros of Myr, Podrick and Gendry are both there to help vouch for Brienne because all of them know something. Which puts Brienne back in a position where she might accomplish what she did in the show: kill Stannis, bully Melisandre and/or Davos and be present for a Stark family reunion.

I've heard rumors of another Red Wedding type of event happening in this book. Of course, that could refer to Cersei ridding King's Landing of the Tyrells like she did in the show, the mountain clans ruining Sansa's and/or Littlefinger's plans, the chaos at Castle Black getting so out of control Melisandre can do nothing, a bloodbath occurs at Winterfell to Stannis, a bloodbath on Old Wyk between the pro-Theon/Asha faction and the pro-Euron faction, Arya coming back to massacre the Freys, the Freys destroying themselves, etc.

But it also can refer to UnCat forcing Jaime to help her set a trap for the entire Lannister family at Casterly Rock. Because remember Catelyn does think to herself a few times about how large the Lannister family is and the many different offshoots there are. It would be the ultimate revenge for the Red Wedding and yet another blow to Tywin's beloved legacy. After this, I can totally see UnCat leaving Jaime alive, broken and bloody and bruised, but alive...

If Cersei escapes King's Landing in one piece, she's going to go to Casterly Rock. Which either puts her in the crosshairs of UnCat or (if she arrives after UnCat kills every single Lannister except for Jaime) it brings her and Jaime back together like the show did.

Plus we haven't seen the Westerlands yet. And GRRM will, without a doubt, continue to worldbuild even though it's the second to last book.

But that's my headcanon.

All other scenarios dealing with Jaime+Brienne+LSH involves one or both of them dying in this book. And I don't think that Lady Stoneheart will die (again) until she reunites with at least one of her children.

All together we are talking what? Between 90 and 110 chapters!!!

I'm sorry but Winds needs to be longer than both Dance and Storm in order to actually finish the book. Feast is a glorified interlude where the only storylines that got finished were stories that took predominantly took place in Dorne, the Iron Islands, Braavos and the Vale (maybe Brienne). On top of that, he was unable to actually finish Dance

If he doesn't get every character's story to a conclusive end in Winds, then we are looking at 9 books instead of 7.

Archived