What if Olenna had told Tyrion that Casterly Rock ran out of gold?

Angel Eyes

On ‎3‎/‎24‎/‎2018 at 9:26 AM, Angel Eyes said:

So Olenna knows that the Lannisters have No gold. And she doesn’t see fit to tell Tyrion. If he knew that Casterly Rock ran dry, would he have wasted the Unsullied on taking Casterly Rock? Where would the Unsullied go instead?

I don't see how you conclude that Olenna knows that Casterly Rock is dry from that clip. That is Mord from the Eyrie -- Lady Lysa's (now Littlefinger's) gaoler. Was there another scene where Tywin confides in Lady O? I would be surprised if he did that.

Besides, I don't think Tyrion chose to attack CR because of the gold, but because he thought it was the base of Cersei/Jaime's power. He was wrong.

15 hours ago, John Suburbs said:

I don't see how you conclude that Olenna knows that Casterly Rock is dry from that clip. That is Mord from the Eyrie -- Lady Lysa's (now Littlefinger's) gaoler. Was there another scene where Tywin confides in Lady O? I would be surprised if he did that.

Besides, I don't think Tyrion chose to attack CR because of the gold, but because he thought it was the base of Cersei/Jaime's power. He was wrong.

It was a joke about no gold.

• 2 months later...
On 3/24/2018 at 9:26 AM, Angel Eyes said:

So Olenna knows that the Lannisters have No gold. And she doesn’t see fit to tell Tyrion. If he knew that Casterly Rock ran dry, would he have wasted the Unsullied on taking Casterly Rock? Where would the Unsullied go instead?

I did not get the impression that Olenna spoke to Tyrion that much.  There was an episode, I believe "The Lion and the Rose" in which she stated to Tywinn that everyone knew that the Lannister mines had been dry for years.  She said similar to Jaime after they took Highgaarden at last.  She also asked him why they didn't take them as soon as their gold mines ran dry in the first place.  (I assume it was so they could keep supplying them with grain; someone to farm and harvest it for them... just another alliance, even if there was little use they could provide in battle).

Also, although Lady Olenna did not warn Tyrion, she did warn Dany when she was inclined to burn down the Red Keep, but Tyrion was in favor of taking the Rock as a more dipolatic approach.  She didn't say anything about the gold minds, but she did say that she'd outlived many important men, specifically by "ignoring them" :)

Cheers,

P.S. @Angel Eyes  I think if Tyrion knew about the mines (and he possibly did but perhaps thought the loss of family would be more important to Cersei and Jaime), he might have advised Dany to send the Unsullied to defend Highgardeen. 

One question I've had is why burn the spoils of the war, and not concentrate on exterminating the Lannisters?  At least then, Dany could have had the grain for her soldiers...

4 hours ago, LadyNoOne said:

P.S. @Angel Eyes  I think if Tyrion knew about the mines (and he possibly did but perhaps thought the loss of family would be more important to Cersei and Jaime), he might have advised Dany to send the Unsullied to defend Highgardeen. 

Nobody can expect Highgarden or Casterly Rock to be literally overrun. Under normal conditions there should be enough time for Dany to react on the siege of Highgarden if she wants and for Cersei to react to the siege of CR. 

Both castles/sieges were just wasted. Especially under the stupid idea of not attacking King's Landing. Just why ? So that more people can starve and die through prolongued warfare ?

9 hours ago, LadyNoOne said:

One question I've had is why burn the spoils of the war, and not concentrate on exterminating the Lannisters?  At least then, Dany could have had the grain for her soldiers...

Ah, another question for another time.

11 hours ago, SirArthur said:

Nobody can expect Highgarden or Casterly Rock to be literally overrun. Under normal conditions there should be enough time for Dany to react on the siege of Highgarden if she wants and for Cersei to react to the siege of CR. 

Both castles/sieges were just wasted. Especially under the stupid idea of not attacking King's Landing. Just why ? So that more people can starve and die through prolongued warfare ?

Season 7 was a season of let's do  everything to give Carol a better position

11 hours ago, The Golden Wolf said:

Cersie=Carol, The Mad Queen

Huh, never heard this nickname before.. Thanks!

13 hours ago, The Golden Wolf said:

Season 7 was a season of let's do  everything to give Carol a better position

Honestly, I don't believe that Cersei did triumph in S7...  i think Dany did lose some by not saving the spoils for herself... 

Tyrion was going to advise that they take CR because taking back and becoming Lord of CR is Tyrion's main goal.  It's the ultimate slap in the face to Tywin, Cersei, and Jaime.  Gold or no gold doesn't matter to him.  S7 overall shows just how flawed an advisor Tyrion is. And I do think it is a strategic victory for Cersei.  Dany's fleet is destroyed and her Greyjoy allies are essentially out of the fight.  The Tyrells are out too as is Dorne.  King's Landing is still safely in Cersei's hands.  All in all that looks like Victory, although perhaps temporary, to me.

On ‎6‎/‎21‎/‎2018 at 7:11 AM, The Golden Wolf said:

Cersie=Carol, The Mad Queen

I thought Carol was pre-season 7 "accidentally-sympathetic" TV!Cersei and Cheryl was Mad Queen TV!Cersei.

On ‎6‎/‎23‎/‎2018 at 2:03 PM, Byfort of Corfe said:

Tyrion was going to advise that they take CR because taking back and becoming Lord of CR is Tyrion's main goal.  It's the ultimate slap in the face to Tywin, Cersei, and Jaime.  Gold or no gold doesn't matter to him.  S7 overall shows just how flawed an advisor Tyrion is. And I do think it is a strategic victory for Cersei.  Dany's fleet is destroyed and her Greyjoy allies are essentially out of the fight.  The Tyrells are out too as is Dorne.  King's Landing is still safely in Cersei's hands.  All in all that looks like Victory, although perhaps temporary, to me.

This is why I think that Book!Tyrion is going to pit Daenerys and Aegon against each other - remember Moqorro's prediction: Dragons old and young, true and false, bright and dark. And you; a small man with a big shadow, snarling in the midst of it all.

Tyrion will be Daenerys' Hand (or just a key member of her Small Council if Barristan survives) just to benefit himself. He'll pit them against each other and use Daenerys as a human shield so he can take Casterly Rock - and Lannisport - for himself as a way of giving his family the middle finger.

TV!Tyrion is really whitewashed so the showrunners just had him screw-up on accident. Book!Tyrion will be doing it on purpose.

Archived