NFL 2018 Draft: On The One Hand...

Jace, Extat

9 hours ago, Triskele said:

That is a pretty solid list.  Are you just going off whether they were All-American?  Did you leave off anyone else from the article who was All-American?

It's just All-Americans, and it's according to wikipedia, so likely not gospel. Going back, I'm sure that Drew Brees was an All-American as well. 

It's obviously not bullet proof, but at the very least it will let you avoid using first rounders on guys like EJ Manuel, Jake Locker, Christian Ponder, and Josh Freeman. So basically, all it tells you from this years class is not to draft Josh Allen.

15 hours ago, Triskele said:

Yeah, and that was one of the other things about the inconsistency between Y1 and Y2 for him.  In that first year he wasn't just good, he exuded moxy and the ability to adjust on the fly.  He showed plenty of this in Y2; he just had some really meh games to go along with it which seemed impossible after that first year.  

i'll say this though:  even as someone blown away by how good of a college QB he looked like in Y1, I was surprised to see him seem to turn into the nigh-consensus #1 pick, and not purely because of the return to Earth this year.  His decision making really seemed questionable, his release and ball are a bit unconventional, and his face is just so punchable.  Surely I'm not the only one that sees these things!

I am quite excited for this draft largely because of all of the QB's.  It seems like four QB's are going high.  Does Jackson not have any chance of also going high?  i know that he sort of took a step back this year too, but I thought that was partly believed to be the team not being as good overall, and his highlights were still off the charts.  

I remain convinced that Rosen is relatively un-risky in that his floor is high.  I will be stunned if Rosen is a massive bust.*

That said, there's a great piece on ESPN today arguing that the league is simply not great at predicting who will be QB's.  Y'all should read it.  It has a fun feature of who the scouts thought would be good in given years.

*Unless he quits football to go become a sherpa or has injury issues.

There is something to that. He does legit look like someone everyone hates by the end of a movie. Rosen, while not having a punchable face, does look like he could use a good backhand. Allen, OTOH, looks like the boy next door who always stares longingly and lecherously at the hot girl in the movie. Baker and Lamar are really the two regular looking dudes you buddy up with at a party in college.

Speaking of which, what kind of name is Baker? Serious, @Ormond, the hell kind of name is Baker?

1 hour ago, Tywin et al. said:

Speaking of which, what kind of name is Baker? Serious, @Ormond, the hell kind of name is Baker?

Named after an old teammate of his father's.

Interesting, his middle name is Reagan after the President.  That James Baker was White House Chief of Staff under Reagan appears to be a coincidence.

30 minutes ago, Bronn Stone said:

Interesting, his middle name is Reagan after the President.  That James Baker was White House Chief of Staff under Reagan appears to be a coincidence.

Thanks. You just ruined Baker Mayfield for me.

2 hours ago, Bronn Stone said:

That makes sense. O'l Willard got his middle name in a similar way. His dad's cousin played for the Bears and he was named Mitt after him.

1 hour ago, Pony Queen Jace said:

Thanks. You just ruined Baker Mayfield for me.

I used to fool around with a girl named Reagan. It created some fun talking points.

:cool4:

2 minutes ago, Bronn Stone said:

If there is any doubt in anyone's mind about which QB's are going to bust, knowing that Cleveland is choosing between Darnold and Allen bodes well for Rosen, Mayfield and Jackson.

lols. I really liked Darnold 2 years back, but my god was he awful last. I saw all his games too, as a proxy USC fan. It wasn't just the turnovers, he had really bad vision and anticipation this year. I don't know much about Allen though, except that everyone here shits on him and you guys are pretty smaht.

30 minutes ago, Pony Queen Jace said:

lols. I really liked Darnold 2 years back, but my god was he awful last. I saw all his games too, as a proxy USC fan. It wasn't just the turnovers, he had really bad vision and anticipation this year. I don't know much about Allen though, except that everyone here shits on him and you guys are pretty smaht.

Allen has a lot of upside. The problem is he's a project. If you told me my team grabbed him the second round, I'd be ecstatic. But with the number one overall pick, when there were other good options available, nah, that's turrible! 

If Allen gets drafted in the 1st, he'll have far and away the worst stats of a college QB drafted in the 1st since like Kyle Boller. Allen was legitimately a bad college quarterback. He basically put up Christian Hackenberg numbers, except playing against much lower competition.

It's like if a 7'1" freak athlete averaged 11 points and 5 rebounds playing in some small conference.

As much as I want to believe that this is all a smoke screen and that the Browns can't possibly be that stupid, the Browns have basically spent the last twenty years being precisely that stupid, with the most recent act being allowing a coach who went 1-31 over two years to win a fucking power struggle.

5 hours ago, KingintheNorth4 said:

Interesting that Ryan Pace didn't match that offer for Meredith. It makes me wonder if they'll take a shot at Calvin Ridley in the draft.

I was pretty bigly saddened by the Colts not using all that cap space to snap him up like Buffalo did with Charles Clay a few years back by making the contract untenable for the team that tagged him. Now that didn't work for Buffalo, but I would have given him like a fully guaranteed two year contract so he could rehab his knee and value plus get a shot at FA again.

Kirk Cousins has finally been able to drive into the heads of these players that you don't want a long term deal unless it's the last one you think you're gonna get. The more you hit FA (or could hit FA) the more money you're gonna make and the better quality of life you can have by actually having control over where you're going to live.

Are there any other peeps hoping RGIII can rehab his game in Baltimore? I actually think being the backup to a talentless treestump like Flacco could be of benefit to the guy. 

I'd love to see RGIII have at least a functional career, even if it's as a high end backup or bridge starter. 

1 hour ago, Pony Queen Jace said:

Are there any other peeps hoping RGIII can rehab his game in Baltimore? I actually think being the backup to a talentless treestump like Flacco could be of benefit to the guy. 

I'd love to see RGIII have at least a functional career, even if it's as a high end backup or bridge starter. 

If he can swallow his ego, he'll have no problem doing so. That's been the biggest problem for a while though.

13 hours ago, sperry said:

If Allen gets drafted in the 1st, he'll have far and away the worst stats of a college QB drafted in the 1st since like Kyle Boller. Allen was legitimately a bad college quarterback. He basically put up Christian Hackenberg numbers, except playing against much lower competition.

It's like if a 7'1" freak athlete averaged 11 points and 5 rebounds playing in some small conference.

So he’s Michael Olawakandi.  Gotcha.

Ryan Shazier apparently seemed quite steady on his feet at a Penguins game last night as he led the crowd in a chant. Awesome to hear, I saw a video a week or so ago where he was doing dips but there had been a lot of reports that he was super unsteady when getting out of his wheelchair so this is good news.

15 hours ago, sperry said:

His stock is also going up because of Wentz. They’re the same height and weight, played in the same college conference*, and their stats, outside of accuracy, are fairly similar. However, there is one monster difference. I heard a scout describe Allen’s tape like this (paraphrasing): “If I showed you the top 10% of his game tape, you’d think you’re watching the greatest prospect ever. But if I showed you the bottom 50%, you’d think you’re watching a guy who might get taken in the 7th round, if he even gets drafted. And the remaining 40% is closer to the bottom 50% than it is to the top 10%. I wouldn’t take him, but teams at the top of the draft will convince themselves that he’s really just the top 10%. They’d be mistaken.” This same scout, along with others, were raving about Wentz.

*How many games do they play in that league? It says Wentz played 16 games one season.

12 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

His stock is also going up because of Wentz. They’re the same height and weight, played in the same college conference*, and their stats, outside of accuracy, are fairly similar. However, there is one monster difference. I heard a scout describe Allen’s tape like this (paraphrasing): “If I showed you the top 10% of his game tape, you’d think you’re watching the greatest prospect ever. But if I showed you the bottom 50%, you’d think you’re watching a guy who might get taken in the 7th round, if he even gets drafted. And the remaining 40% is closer to the bottom 50% than it is to the top 10%. I wouldn’t take him, but teams at the top of the draft will convince themselves that he’s really just the top 10%. They’d be mistaken.” This same scout, along with others, were raving about Wentz.

*How many games do they play in that league? It says Wentz played 16 games one season.

*Puts on Capt. Pedant cape*  Actually, while Josh Allen and Carson Wentz do have the same coach in common for at least part of their collegiate football careers (Craig Bohl) they do/did not play in the same conference.  The University of Wyoming is part of the Division I Mountain West Conference while North Dakota State University is part of the D I-AA Missouri Valley Conference. *takes off cape*

Now, as far as the number of games played goes?  I'm not sure.  I know NDSU usually plays about 11 or 12 regular season games per season.  So, including playoffs, I suppose it makes sense that Wentz could have played up to 16 games.  Taking a quick look at Coach Bohl's wiki page it looks like the U of WY plays 12-14 football games per season.

Archived