NFL 2018 Draft: On The One Hand...

Jace, Extat

Reuben Foster charged with three felony accounts in domestic violence case. Unofficial word around the league is that most teams will refuse to let him play for them during his incarceration, provided he is found guilty and incarcerated. 

4 minutes ago, James Arryn said:

Reuben Foster charged with three felony accounts in domestic violence case. Unofficial word around the league is that most teams will refuse to let him play for them during his incarceration, provided he is found guilty and incarcerated. 

They'd probably play him on a work release if that was an option.

So, I think the Patriots have a poison pill problem.  

In 2014, Malcolm Butler became the feel-good story of the Patriots dramatic Superbowl win against the Seahawks.  And in doing so, he set a poison pill into the hearts and minds of the entire Seahawks franchise: why did Pete Carroll pass into a stout Pats secondary when Seattle had "Beast Mode?"  Why not run?  It was the sort of play that fractures teams and it did that in Seattle: Seattle has been inconsistent since that Superbowl loss; Beast Mode is gone; so is Richard Sherman, one of Carroll's most vocal critics and Seattle's "Legion of Boom" has gone bust (I . am. Brilliant.).  

2016, the Atlanta Falcons are up by 25 with something like 84 seconds left to play in the Superbowl when they puke all over their shoes and allow the Pats to complete the greatest comeback in Superbowl history.  Atlanta reels from the loss, and questions fly if Atlanta can hold it together .  Atlanta has a dramatically disappointing 2017 season so most questions are still unanswered and leaving the franchise with gigantic question marks.  Does the team trust its coaches?  Can they?

2017, the heavily favored New England Patriots choke away what may be the last great game of Tom Brady's career (Brady becomes the only QB in NFL History to throw for 500+ yards, 3+ TDs, 0 INTs, and lose).  The mystery of the game was the unfathomable decision to bench ... Malcolm Butler; the benching came just hours before game-time and teammates- including the guys who now found themselves starting in Butler's place - did not know they were starting until moments before kick-off.  As the Eagles march up and down the field (Pats forced ONE punt all game) the Pats D implodes over and over again as Malcolm Butler openly weeps on the sidelines.  When its all over the questions abound: why did Bill Belichick bench the guy who played 98% of the defensive plays all season?  Why did he continue to bench him when it was clear Eric Rowe and Badamosi were unable to contain the Eagles O?  Why did the Pats piss away a Superbowl?  

Then suddenly it was announced that Belichick understudy Josh McDaniels would stay in NE and not coach the Colts.  This was surprising because nobody had been coaching the Colts for roughly 8 seasons.  

In the succeeding weeks, many Patriots left and those who stayed made peculiar statements.  Such as:

-Danny Amendola- a man Bill Belichick said "When you see 'football player' in the Dictionary, his picture is right there" - said Belichick was an asshole.  He then said he did not understand the Butler benching at all. 

-Pro-Bowl LT Nate Solder pens and incredibly inspirational essay about his son's cancer and makes sure to mention that the Patriots organization is cold, keeps its players in constant fear, uses the word "cutthroat,"  and pressures players to the breaking point.  He mentions Belichick in passing; McDaniels like 15 times.  

-Rob Gronkowski may be wrestling or retiring or both or playing for the Pats.  But he sure as shit is not attending OTAs.

-And neither is Tom Brady  Brady's story is much deeper and it involves probably getting Jimmy G booted out of town, a war with Belcichik over Snake-oil Salesman Alex Guerrero, and generally asking "What are we doing this for?"   Again, this from a man who ran his replacement out on a rail and said he would play until he's 45.  

All this shows that the Pats have a poison pill problem: something inside the organization that cannot be easily rectified; that is growing with each passing moment; and that can only be cured by winning- something that seems less and less assured at the moment.  Patriots - the individual players, not the organization - have expressed legitimate dissatisfaction with Belichick and his strong-armed ways.  Further, he's a complete asshole so he's not moving; his replacement is in the building; the QB is nuts and probably hating the fact that the Superbowl - in his mind anyway - was lost by the Pats moreso than won by the Eagles.  And that loss is at BB's feet.  

The Pats are going to have an "interesting" 2018 season.  And that's because they blew up in 2017.  And the wreckage is falling fast. 

2 hours ago, Pony Queen Jace said:

FUCK the Patriots. Your empire will turn to dust. 

And I want to establish ahead of time that I will be a Lamaar Jackson fan so i dont want no shit if he goes to an ugly franchise.

He’s going to Pittsburgh.

13 hours ago, Pony Queen Jace said:

FUCK the Patriots. Your empire will turn to dust. 

And I want to establish ahead of time that I will be a Lamaar Jackson fan so i dont want no shit if he goes to an ugly franchise.

Cleveland is drafting him, it is known

11 hours ago, Rhom said:

He’s going to Pittsburgh.

A month ago I would have said he’s going to the Steelers or the Saints, but that was when Mayfield was expected to go 11 or 15. Now he’s probably going top 5, which means Jackson won’t make it past 15. What I’ll be interested to see is if the Pats take Mason Rudolph at  the end of the first round, especially since it’s being reported that Brady has not committed to the Pats for the upcoming season (he’ll play, but I doubt playing till 45 is still realistic).

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/23228840/tom-brady-new-england-patriots-yet-commit-playing-2018-season

33 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

A month ago I would have said he’s going to the Steelers or the Saints, but that was when Mayfield was expected to go 11 or 15. Now he’s probably going top 5, which means Jackson won’t make it past 15. What I’ll be interested to see is if the Pats take Mason Rudolph at  the end of the first round, especially since it’s being reported that Brady has not committed to the Pats for the upcoming season (he’ll play, but I doubt playing till 45 is still realistic).

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/23228840/tom-brady-new-england-patriots-yet-commit-playing-2018-season

This draft is going to be bananas, I feel it in my bones. The Bills are gonna make a move and I think the Pats might make a move for Lamaar Jackson.

29 minutes ago, Pony Queen Jace said:

This draft is going to be bananas, I feel it in my bones. The Bills are gonna make a move and I think the Pats might make a move for Lamaar Jackson.

I feel like either the Bills or the Broncos will be drafting second overall, which will be a silly move on behalf of the Giants (all the reporting I’ve seen is they think they can get three more quality years out of Eli).

Also, you could try spelling Lamar Jackson’s name right. You’re like all the Democrats who kept calling Clinton Hilary.  :P

4 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

I feel like either the Bills or the Broncos will be drafting second overall, which will be a silly move on behalf of the Giants (all the reporting I’ve seen is they think they can get three more quality years out of Eli).

Also, you could try spelling Lamar Jackson’s name right. You’re like all the Democrats who kept calling Clinton Hilary.  :P

Oh, take that shit and shove it, Mister! I called that woeful bitch Clinton. In fact, I often got annoyed during responses that I felt compelled to use her first name for the sake of brevity in a response.

That is BEYOND THE PALE!

And after I shooed that goose off of you in the Politics thread. :bawl:

18 minutes ago, Pony Queen Jace said:

If the Pats do this it would be very much out of character for them and Belichick.  The Pats rarely trade up, preferring to get more picks later on. 

However, its also very much out of character for the Pat to have infighting like they were the Jets.  

If the Pats DO trade up for Jackson... then "Its on like Donkey Kong" between Belichcik and Brady.   

48 minutes ago, Rockroi said:

If the Pats do this it would be very much out of character for them and Belichick.  The Pats rarely trade up, preferring to get more picks later on. 

However, its also very much out of character for the Pat to have infighting like they were the Jets.  

If the Pats DO trade up for Jackson... then "Its on like Donkey Kong" between Belichcik and Brady.   

I have fantasies of the Colts moving to 12 and 21 with the Bills then scorning the Patriots who want to jump up to get Jackson.

1 hour ago, Pony Queen Jace said:

Oh, take that shit and shove it, Mister! I called that woeful bitch Clinton. In fact, I often got annoyed during responses that I felt compelled to use her first name for the sake of brevity in a response.

That is BEYOND THE PALE!

And after I shooed that goose off of you in the Politics thread. :bawl:

Tough love for a tough lady. Wipe that tear from your eye, Jace.

I saw some update on my phone today that the Patriots were interested in Josh Rosen.  Oh, shocking that a team would be interested in the best QB prospect in the draft!  Never mind the fact that they have absolutely no path to drafting him.

10 minutes ago, briantw said:

I saw some update on my phone today that the Patriots were interested in Josh Rosen.  Oh, shocking that a team would be interested in the best QB prospect in the draft!  Never mind the fact that they have absolutely no path to drafting him.

Eh, apparently being something other than Boring White Guy has him plummeting off draft boards.

1 minute ago, Pony Queen Jace said:

Eh, apparently being something other than Boring White Guy has him plummeting off draft boards.

Still think he's a lock to go top five.  I think he's going first overall.

I feel like we saw this story with Goff and Wentz two years ago.  Goff was the polished, borderline sure-thing prospect.  Wentz was the exciting late riser.  Goff still went first.

56 minutes ago, Pony Queen Jace said:

It doesn't matter if you throw a perfect spiral, can make all the throws and read defenses really well, if you think about things other than football and can't be a leader of men, you don't get picked high. 

Even though the above description could also be said of Aaron Rodgers, the best QB I've ever seen.

57 minutes ago, briantw said:

Still think he's a lock to go top five.  I think he's going first overall.

I feel like we saw this story with Goff and Wentz two years ago.  Goff was the polished, borderline sure-thing prospect.  Wentz was the exciting late riser.  Goff still went first.

Kiper is still adamant that Allen will be the first pick. Rosen will go 2, 3 or 5.  

Archived