NCAA Basketball 2017: Final Four cont.

DireWolfSpirit

9 minutes ago, RedEyedGhost said:

Leonard Hamilton showing why they lost in his postgame interview. "Why didn't you foul, down 4 with 11 secs left?" "Game was over."

I was very appreciative that they didn't. He must've bet FSU too.

By the time the ASU game had come and gone, all I wanted out of this season was to continue The Streak and a Sweet 16. Then we started playing better, but I haven't adjusted my expectations (although after our performance in the Big XII tourney it's been hard to not expect more). I will be slightly disappointed if we lose tomorrow, but this season has been a helluva ride.

Every KU fan knows that Self's record in the Elite Eight isn't... great, but to see it laid out like this:

Career By Round of NCAA Tournament:
Round of 64 18-2 (Win Pct .900)
Round of 32 13-5 (Win Pct .722)
Sweet 16 10-3 (Win Pct .769)
Elite 8 2-7 (Win Pct .222)
Final Four 2-0 (Win Pct 1.000)
Championship Game 1-1 (Win Pct .500)

Coach K is 12-2 in Elite Eight games.  Everybody seems to be picking Duke in tomorrow's game, so I'm hoping that we will come out extremely loose, as the media has already chalked this one up as a loss for us.  It's strange, but we also seem to be playing better against teams that have good size in the post.  Their zone does make things more interesting because we won't be able to wear down Bagley by making him chase Svi all over on offense.  Every year in the tournament the talking heads also love the old adage: guard play wins the championship, and we definitely have better guards than Duke.

1 hour ago, Ramsay B. said:

I was very appreciative that they didn't. He must've bet FSU too.

:lol: 

7 hours ago, RedEyedGhost said:

Leonard Hamilton showing why they lost in his postgame interview. "Why didn't you foul, down 4 with 11 secs left?" "Game was over."

It's the 2018 Final Four ;) 

Must not have watched the Virginia-UofL game.

You know of course that the hopes and dreams of the Big Blue Nation go with you tonight for perhaps the first time ever.

Kansas has been weird to me all year.  You have basically no bench, but your starters are incredibly solid. Duke should have a huge advantage with their bench, but they really don’t use them much either.

Oh and to answer your question from the other thread, Kenny Payne is one of the main recruiters after Orlando Antigua left. It is widely speculated that Cal wants to find a way to get O back on the bench.  If KP left, I’m sure that would be who replaced him.

Payne’s big contribution is that he is the guy who works with the bigs and is the good cop to Cal’s bad cop.

Losing him would be a major blow to the structure Cal has in place, but a chance to coach at your alma mater which is also a top ten program is a no brainer.

Duke's guards are so bad that Kansas has a shot. Kansas's embarrassingly weak bench has been why I was low on them all season, but that's not as important in the tournament. They just have to keep Doke out of foul trouble.

I don't hate this start to the Nova-TT game, and before I finished typing the post Nova has woken up.

Looks like the Pac12 is fucked, like bad.  

The pitiful season adds to the financial issues already drowning the Pac-12. The Mercury News reported earlier this month the conference has a revenue deficit of $1 billion.

The Pac-12 is already floundering behind its peer conferences. More seasons like this and a big problem could become a catastrophic one.

It looked like it was going that way for a bit, but then Tech stepped up on defense and got it pretty close.  I don't think they have the offensive firepower to make up an 8 point differential with less than 3:00 though.

Pretty much what I expected for the first half.  Dok looked real tired, so hopefully sitting the last 6 minutes with 2 fouls was enough rest to get him going in the 2nd (I think his knee is what's making him tired - he looked the same against Clemson).

3 minutes ago, RedEyedGhost said:

Bagley goes over Svi's back, falls onto to him as they're coming down, foul on KU.  Makes perfect sense. :rolleyes: 

That foul was on Svi. And this is coming from someone who wagered a substantial amount of money on Kansas.

Also: DeSousa has been a complete disaster all year. They can't be playing him.

Archived