What is the thing that comes in the night?

The South Forgets

4 minutes ago, Lost Melnibonean said:

You're right of course, but where the f#@& is Benjen? And why the f#@& does the author keep asking us? It's drives me nuts!

Where the f#@& are Ned’s bones?!?!?!

THIS drives me nuts. 

1 hour ago, Lost Melnibonean said:

You're right of course, but where the f#@& is Benjen? And why the f#@& does the author keep asking us? It's drives me nuts!

Does the author keep asking us? Jon stopped asking since the end of aCoK. 

Since aCoK and certainly in aDwD George has made clear that the survival rate beyond the wall is pretty much non-existent: you need to be a cannibalistic scavenger who eats wights, have a comrade with supernatural abilities and a hide-out protecting you from the undead with spells, or be undead yourself in order to live. 

He’s not with BR, not amongst the wildlings, never joined his brothers in the fangs, the bridge, the fist, and according to George he ain’t coldhands. There are even things in the water now. Benjen’s dead, as the raven said at the Fist. 

24 minutes ago, sweetsunray said:

Since aCoK and certainly in aDwD George has made clear that the survival rate beyond the wall is pretty much non-existent: you need to be a cannibalistic scavenger who eats wights, have a comrade with supernatural abilities and a hide-out protecting you from the undead with spells, or be undead yourself in order to live. 

He’s not with BR, not amongst the wildlings, never joined his brothers in the fangs, the bridge, the fist, and according to George he ain’t coldhands. There are even things in the water now. Benjen’s dead, as the raven said at the Fist. 

What bothers me even more than Benjen and Ned's bones:  Where the F is Stonesnake?  

33 minutes ago, sweetsunray said:

6 minutes ago, Tagganaro said:

What bothers me even more than Benjen and Ned's bones:  Where the F is Stonesnake?  

It seems to me tha leaving a bit character like Stonesnake to die is one thing, but when you let a slightly bigger character disappear like Benjen, and then bring up his disappearance from time to time, I think you need to to give the reader some resolution, but that's my opinion, I suppose. 

13 minutes ago, Lost Melnibonean said:

It seems to me tha leaving a bit character like Stonesnake to die is one thing, but when you let a slightly bigger character disappear like Benjen, and then bring up his disappearance from time to time, I think you need to to give the reader some resolution, but that's my opinion, I suppose. 

That’s a fair point. I guess I just don’t see anything pointing to BJ being CH (besides reader curiousness) . It could be possible for Benjen to show back up in some way, if he does then I would suppose that could happen during a trip through underground tunnels (Gornes way?) or somewhere to guide a select few South? We do tend to see/read about many various peoples going underground to protect themselves from a great threat. 

Another thing that gets me is that Bran knows his uncle went missing, and yet upon meeting this mysterious NW ranger, he doesn’t ever think or wonder if this could be his uncle. 

I guess if the author was wanting to do a surprise “pull the rubber mask off” Uncle Benjen reveal, well, time between books and we meddling forum kids ruined it  :lol:

2 hours ago, LiveFirstDieLater said:

It’s still a crime to the old gods...

I don't think that Old Gods care about things like that. Those who care are actually people, followers of that religion. Who knows what part of their religion came from directions given to them by Gods, and what they made up themselves.

Old Gods are deities of nature and animal world, and animals don't care about things like incest. Furthermore it is common for them to have offsprings from brother x sister, or even father x daughter, or mother x son. I'm talking about cats, dogs, horses, etc.

I can’t tell if this is sarcastic? Is there any other example of a large number of followers taking the black with a guy who is being sent to the wall for a crime? It’s weird...

No, I wasn't intending to be sarcastic. Probably I just meant that slaver-Bloodraven seems to be too unlikely. Even less unlikely than Coldhands=Benjen, even though GRRM said No to that :)

We don't know whether there was happenings like that before or after Bloodraven, but what we do know, is that he was an outstanding person. So I don't see anything weird in Raven's Teeth following after Bloodraven even to The Wall. Who are they without him? - No one.

Could be that some of them were his children, or grandchildren, or relatives of his mother, from Blackwood House, or orphants of war, that he "adopted". So could be that for many of them, there was no other place to go, so they went with him.

I guess it’s possible, but I’m not sure what you are basing this on...

Bran's last chapter: " “Most of him has gone into the tree,” explained the singer Meera called Leaf. “He has lived beyond his mortal span, and yet he lingers. For us, for you, for the realms of men. "

Hoster Tully died aged 59-61, from old age. Aegon I died aged 64, also from natural causes.

Brynden was 58 years old when he went to The Wall, in 233 (born in 175). 64 when he became Lord Commander, in 239. 77 when he disappeared beyond The Wall, in 252. Now he is 125 years old. He served in NW for 19 years, not 13. For 13 years he served as Lord Commander.

So he was Watcher for 19 years, from age 58 to age 77. By the time he came to The Wall, he was of nearly the same age, as Hoster Tully when he died, and by the time of his disappearance he was 13 years older than Aegon I when he died.

Thus I think that maybe the Weirwood called Bloodraven, when it was time for him to die. Probably Bloodraven was close to dying from old age, but when he was connected to the Weirwood, it took most of his soul, but in exchange for it, prolonged his life. Not that it made his life span longer, more like currently the Weirwood is serving role of some sort of artificial life support system.

I think that by saying, that most of him has gone into a tree, Leaf meant, his soul becoming part of a Weirwood Network, and not the tree consuming his physical body. So after that he lost part of his soul, mind, and personality, because they got mixed with thousands other souls and minds, of those that are/were connected to the Weirwood before him. So he lost himself in that vortex. And what he is now, is not actually Brynden Rivers, only part of him, and that part is unable to return back to The Wall.

I have no idea what you are talking about with this Watchers stuff... or why you think Bloodraven is shielding the realms of men. He’s no longer a member of the Nights Watch.

Nights Watchmen swear to serve for this night and all nights to come

Watcher - member of Night's Watch. It's from their oath - "I am the sword in the darkness. I am the watcher on the walls. I am the fire that burns against the cold, the light that brings the dawn, the horn that wakes the sleepers, the shield that guards the realms of men." <-> "He has lived beyond his mortal span, and yet he lingers. For us, for you, for the realms of men."

He's still serving, only differently. People can serve to NW in many ways, what Jon said, that there's lots of other work there, aside from being rangers and fighters. So Bloodraven is gathering intel against enemies of men - the Others.

4 hours ago, Walda said:

But if there was a place in the Night-fort for Symeon Star-Eyes to watch hell-hounds fight, it would be by the well of the kitchen. Presumably he did that before he lost his sight, and the hell-hounds were not giant white spiders, just bad-tempered dogs.

First, that was a lot! And I can’t address it all now... but love the content! 

That said, not sure I’ve come to the same conclusions...

Given the way wights eyes glow blue, and that Ser Symeon supposedly existed before there were knights in Westeros, isn’t it possible that he was an Other or a ColdHandsesque servant, or even a half human half Other?

And Hell Hounds sound like Direwolves to me... especially given that Nan tells us that the NightKing and the Stark in Winterfell were brothers and fought there.

Given that the Nights King was sacrificing to the Others, it would be no surprise if one was there to see the Difewolves fight.

Or perhaps giant white spiders are mere mortals too. Or the men of the Watch are not true. Looking at all Old Nan's Night fort stories, the place sees to be pullulating with the sort of supernatural vermin the gate was supposed to keep at bay - the Corpse Queen and the Night King, for example, had no difficulty holding the Night's Fort with sorcery for thirteen years. The Gods themselves contrived to keep the Rat Cook running about the place.

The place is cursed!

Haha but it does have a lot of gateway to hell imagery going on!

But also remember that the Night Fort predates the Wall itself... so it isn’t that surprising there are more supernatural things going on there than to the south. 

The Lord Commander who sealed the cryogenic fate of the 79 sentinels must have known he was trapping a ghostly host in the wall (which did not reject them, as it did Jarl).

This is an interesting one, I don’t think Coldhands is one of the 79 (someone else suggested that) since they can’t leave the wall... and I wonder if the number includes Lord Ryswell... after all, it is really a tale of him giving up his loved one in the name of duty. I hope (expect) Lady Dustin to take after her Ryswell blood when it comes to returning Ned’s bones to their proper place.

Perhaps even Coldhands could have got through the black gate, but his knees were not up to the steps, or he didn't want to leave the elk, or get it up the steps and down again.

Ummm, haha? It doesn’t seem that way, it seems like he needed Sam to retrieve Bran.

That the approach to the black gate might also have been known as the steps to hell, is interesting. It suggests there was something hellish, like a war, going on on the other side of the gate. 

Or that the steps to hell are paved with good intentions... Sam has good intentions, but delivering Bran to Coldhands may have been sending him into the mouth of the beast. Coldhands also demands payment (Like Charon the boatman, and lets not forget the underground river still in play) for delivering Sam in the form of his silence.

I'm guessing the Thing is an older story than that of Danny Flint, or the Sentinels, because the latter name Flints and Ryswells, Lannisters and Arryns as established noble families, while the Thing and the Lord Commander and the 'prentice boys are unnamed - indicating their names meant nothing or were of no account to the Flints, Ryswells, Lannisters and Arryns.

Interesting and it might make sense...

As for Brave Dany Flint... I’m of the opinion that this story is about our Dany. But I also think she’s Jon’s little sister and another R+L... so grains of salt all around.

"How's that?" Tormund scratched his beard. "A hostage is a hostage, seems to me. That big sharp sword o' yours can snick a girl's head off as easy as a boy's. A father loves his daughters too. Well, most fathers."

It is not their fathers who concern me. "Did Mance ever sing of Brave Danny Flint?" 
"Not as I recall. Who was he?"
"A girl who dressed up like a boy to take the blackHer song is sad and pretty. What happened to herwasn't." In some versions of the song, her ghost still walked the Nightfort. "I'll send the girls to Long Barrow." The only men there were Iron Emmett and Dolorous Edd, both of whom he trusted. That was not something he could say of all his brothers. 
The wildling understood. "Nasty birds, you crows." He spat. "Two more boys, then. You'll have them."

Read the bold above from but imagine Ned in Jon’s place... Jon too is making baby swaps, to hide the king’s blood, keeping one close and sending the other away. 

Ned’s got a big sword and kids he might have to execute (Robert had strong feelings about dragonspawn), he’s not worried about the dad (he’s worried about the mom! Lyanna), so he sends her away, she “dressed up as a boy to take the black” aka saw herself in Rhaegar’s armor and the PTWP being interpreted as a boy when in fact it’s a girl imitates the tale... oh and flint is frozen fire.

We don’t know why Benjen took the Black, presumably he did something during RR, and Ned’s feelings about Brandon are confusing at best... and Robert (like a brother to him) perhaps wasn’t trustworthy with this little girl (or woman in general), but perhaps he trusted the girl with some old loyal friend(s) instead. Also, I believe the last two heads of the Dragon are boys, two more besides Dany. 

Mad Axe might be of the same vintage - there seems to be some doubt about which noble family owned him.

I’m inclined to say Euron do to the bloody footprints/wake and killing his brothers... also being mad...

It is possible the Rat Cook and King Sherrit were the same person (or in league with each other) - as it was an Andal King that ate the pie of one and was cursed by the other.

I’m going with the Rat Cook being a Weirwood (or man inside a weirwood) being forced to live by feeding on his decendents.

The chains on the 'prentices implies it is a story about slavery.

And Slavery is forbidden by the Old Gods... 

As I said earlier I’m inclined to believe the thing that comes in the night is the three eyed crow (greendreams)... nobody can agree on what they see (what the visions mean) and as we see with Jojen they can see their own deaths... that’s why the being dead in a year is relevant and probably why the other guy went mad.

Follow up... did Bran see his own death in the Heart of Winter during his first falling dream? After all, when it comes to magic trees and old gods, terrible wisdom is the opposite of life!

29 minutes ago, The Fattest Leech said:

That’s a fair point. I guess I just don’t see anything pointing to BJ being CH (besides reader curiousness) . It could be possible for Benjen to show back up in some way, if he does then I would suppose that could happen during a trip through underground tunnels (Gornes way?) or somewhere to guide a select few South? We do tend to see/read about many various peoples going underground to protect themselves from a great threat. 

Another thing that gets me is that Bran knows his uncle went missing, and yet upon meeting this mysterious NW ranger, he doesn’t ever think or wonder if this could be his uncle. 

I guess if the author was wanting to do a surprise “pull the rubber mask off” Uncle Benjen reveal, well, time between books and we meddling forum kids ruined it  :lol:

And there were the horn and the dragonglass blades and arrowheads wrapped up in the cloak of the Night's Watch. Weren't those left by Benjen? 

2 hours ago, The Fattest Leech said:

Where the f#@& are Ned’s bones?!?!?!

Nymeria ate them, as revenge for killing Lady.

1 hour ago, sweetsunray said:

Though in ADWD Jon had a dream, in which he saw Ygritte, Donal Noye, Deaf Dick Follard, Qhorin Halfh, and Robb. He killed there all of them. And before that, in another dream, he saw dead Eddard.

Though he didn't had dreams in which Bran, Rickon, Arya, Sansa, Catelyn, or Benjen were dead.

So could be that absence of Catelyn and Benjen in Jon's "dead dreams", is a clue that those two are not done yet being characters of ASOIAF. And we know that Cat is a fire wight. So maybe Benjen is also something like that. So he could be Coldhands.

39 minutes ago, The Fattest Leech said:

That’s a fair point. I guess I just don’t see anything pointing to BJ being CH (besides reader curiousness) .

Coldhands said to Bran, that he is his monster. So maybe it was implication that they are related, blood related.

36 minutes ago, Megorova said:

Coldhands said to Bran, that he is his monster. So maybe it was implication that they are related, blood related.

No he didn’t... this is one of the most frequent misquotes I’ve seen on this forum... 

Meera's gloved hand tightened around the shaft of her frog spear. "Who sent you? Who is this three-eyed crow?
"A friend. Dreamer, wizard, call him what you will. The last greenseer." The longhall's wooden door banged open. Outside, the night wind howled, bleak and black. The trees were full of ravens, screaming. Coldhands did not move.
"A monster," Bran said.
The ranger looked at Bran as if the rest of them did not exist. "Your monsterBrandon Stark." 
"Yours," the raven echoed, from his shoulder. Outside the door, the ravens in the trees took up the cry, until the night wood echoed to the murderer's song of "Yours, yours, yours."

20 minutes ago, Lost Melnibonean said:

And there were the horn and the dragonglass blades and arrowheads wrapped up in the cloak of the Night's Watch. Weren't those left by Benjen? 

Do you think that Benjen could be still alive?

It is possible, that he was the one who hid those things. Could be that after he departed from The Wall, he went as far as that settlement of wildlings, wore some other clothes, pretended to be one of wildlings, infiltrated their settlement, found out that they are digging graves to find that magic horn, found it first, wrapped it in his black cloak, and re-hid it elsewhere.

But there are two things, that make this option very unlikely.

If he planned to infiltrate wildlings' settlement, then it was stupid of him, to take with him NW's cloak. It's a too dangerous give away. Undercover agents don't carry with them their badges, or their service weapons, when they are on assignment. So if he wanted to pretend to be one of wildlings, then it was too stupid, to take with him that cloak.

And second detail - those two rangers that were with Benjen, were found dead, and they turned into wights. So it's obvious that Benjen and his party encountered the Others, were attacked by them, killed and turned into wights. And it happened not that far from The Wall. And Coldhands was not far from The Wall, when he met Bran, and then Sam. While whoever hid that horn near wildlings' settlement, was far far far from The Wall. So it's unlikely that it was done by Benjen. Possible, but unlikely.

Personally I think that it was done by Val. She's the one who found real horn, and hid it from others. Because she knew Mance fairly well. And thus she was afraid, that if Watchers won't let wildlings to cross beyond The Wall, then Mance will use that horn to break The Wall. And then everyone will die. Also Val was Mance's sister-in-law, so she had a free pass anywhere. And if someone did saw her, carrying somewhere that black cloak, no one would have suspected, that she could be an undercover Watcher. ^_^

Um, just some food for thought for those who point to Martin's "No" written in the margin of the first draft of ASoIaF to the editor's question if Coldhands is Benjen: a great many other things in the first draft changed a great deal between there and what actually became the story we know;)

I'm not saying definitively that Coldhands is Benjen...but I'm just not convinced that "No" is the smoking gun, slam dunk "proof" of...well, anything people sometimes make it out it be.

ETA: The above is completely wrong.  It was kindly pointed out to me that I was conflating two different things to come up with this.

6 minutes ago, LiveFirstDieLater said:

No he didn’t... this is one of the most frequent misquotes I’ve seen on this forum...

You're the one who's misinterpreting what happened there. Read again, all of it, especially text in bold:

"

Who are you? Why are your hands black?

The ranger studied his hands as if he had never noticed them before. “Once the heart has ceased to beat, a man’s blood runs down into his extremities, where it thickens and congeals.” His voice rattled in his throat, as thin and gaunt as he was. “His hands and feet swell up and turn as black as pudding. The rest of him becomes as white as milk.”

Meera Reed rose, her frog spear in her hand, a chunk of smoking meat still impaled upon its tines. “Show us your face.

The ranger made no move to obey.

He’s dead.” Bran could taste the bile in his throat. “Meera, he’s some dead thing. The monsters cannot pass so long as the Wall stands and the men of the Night’s Watch stay true, that’s what Old Nan used to say. He came to meet us at the Wall, but he could not pass. He sent Sam instead, with that wildling girl.”

Meera’s gloved hand tightened around the shaft of her frog spear. “Who sent you? Who is this three-eyed crow?”

“A friend. Dreamer, wizard, call him what you will. The last green-seer.” The longhall’s wooden door banged open. Outside, the night wind howled, bleak and black. The trees were full of ravens, screaming. Cold-hands did not move.

A monster,” Bran said.

The ranger looked at Bran as if the rest of them did not exist. “Your monster, Brandon Stark.”

Yours,the raven echoed, from his shoulder. Outside the door, the ravens in the trees took up the cry, until the night wood echoed to the murderer’s song of “Yours, yours, yours.

Jojen, did you dream this?” Meera asked her brother. “Who is he? What is he? What do we do now?

We go with the ranger,” said Jojen. “We have come too far to turn back now, Meera. We would never make it back to the Wall alive. We go with Bran’s monster, or we die.”

"

So Jojen, and CH's raven, and Coldhands himself said, that he is Bran's monster.

They were questioning CH who is he. And they came to conclusion, that he is a monster. Bran's monster. And they have no choice, but to still go with him.

2 hours ago, Lost Melnibonean said:

Agreed that a resolution is preferable, but notice in the story telling what Benjen’s dissapearance had as a purpose: his was big enough for the NW and for the reader to agree with Mormont’s Great Ranging to the Fist. The many times characters wonder about Benjen’s fate is in aGoT and aCoK. This ceases afterwards. If Benjen’s remembered afterwards it’s as the uncle who disappeared, but without the character wondering what happpened to him. And the raven’s “dead! Dead! Dead!” at one of the last public mentioning of him between characters seems the nail in Benjen’s coffin. 

Has the raven ever lied? Has he ever been  wrong?

The search of Benjen also shows jon’s growth. Initially Jon thinks the great ranging an awesome idea: to find Benjen, Jon’s uncle, a Stark, etc... Family over his oath brothers. When the rangers and Qhorin sacrifice their lives in order to help him infiltrate the wildlings, when he sees and learns of the events at the Fist Benjen’s whereabouts becomes a non-issue to Jon. The last time he saw Mormont and found the buried cloak Benjen was all he could think of. Afterwards he learns the Fist and Craster was a massacre.

compare this with aDwD family issues. He’s not using a faithful nw-man for it. No, he agrees to send Mance south to find a fleeing Arya... Mance who’s supposed to be dead and a deserter. Jon’s willing to sacrifice and use a deserter’s life, not a brother’s life. He is willing to send rangers out North of the wall to convince a great number of wildlings to come south, but not to search for Benjen. And when in the end he decides to ride south himself in answer of the Pink Letter, he only accepts volunteers.

Benjen was never a big character. Even in Tyrion’s POV he’s barely featured. He’s not even featured face to face in a Ned POV. Benjen appears in two Jon POVs, and he features in a story told to Bran. We might have more character insight into Rhaegar and Brandon Stark than we have of Benjen. And Jon even manages to grow up and love the NW and his brothers without Benjen being there. 

It only seems this big a mystery to the reader and Jon in aGoT, when all the other Starks still live and the sole issue north of the wall is believed to be an army of wildlings.

so, I agree a resolution would be nice, but the odds are against Benjen: not just logically, but also literary. I do like leech’s proposal of coming across Benjen in some alternative underground cave situation. Starks going underground improves their survival, that is the young generation at least. Ned’s fate was sealed in the black cells (he damned himself thrice). Lyanna died of fever while hidden (south) from the rest of the world. 

1 hour ago, Lost Melnibonean said:

Quite possibly. We do know from history that the CotF gave obsidian weapons to the Watch every year(?), and there are plenty of CotF + Stark connections, and that cloak in the cache was not rotten or old, just wet and black, and Sam has that horn at the Citadel now (it may be a red herring), and the rest of Benjen's ranging group are gone/dead, so maybe Benjen was the one able to get away because of the CotF help or just plain ol'wighted... and we have to remember that it was Ghost (an OG symbol) that guides Jon to the cache as opposed to Jon just randomly stumbling on it (like a clutch of dragon eggs ;)).

41 minutes ago, Megorova said:

You're the one who's misinterpreting what happened there. Read again, all of it, especially text in bold:

"

Who are you? Why are your hands black?

The ranger studied his hands as if he had never noticed them before. “Once the heart has ceased to beat, a man’s blood runs down into his extremities, where it thickens and congeals.” His voice rattled in his throat, as thin and gaunt as he was. “His hands and feet swell up and turn as black as pudding. The rest of him becomes as white as milk.”

Meera Reed rose, her frog spear in her hand, a chunk of smoking meat still impaled upon its tines. “Show us your face.

The ranger made no move to obey.

He’s dead.” Bran could taste the bile in his throat. “Meera, he’s some dead thing. The monsters cannot pass so long as the Wall stands and the men of the Night’s Watch stay true, that’s what Old Nan used to say. He came to meet us at the Wall, but he could not pass. He sent Sam instead, with that wildling girl.”

Meera’s gloved hand tightened around the shaft of her frog spear. “Who sent you? Who is this three-eyed crow?”

“A friend. Dreamer, wizard, call him what you will. The last green-seer.” The longhall’s wooden door banged open. Outside, the night wind howled, bleak and black. The trees were full of ravens, screaming. Cold-hands did not move.

A monster,” Bran said.

The ranger looked at Bran as if the rest of them did not exist. “Your monster, Brandon Stark.”

Yours,the raven echoed, from his shoulder. Outside the door, the ravens in the trees took up the cry, until the night wood echoed to the murderer’s song of “Yours, yours, yours.

Jojen, did you dream this?” Meera asked her brother. “Who is he? What is he? What do we do now?

We go with the ranger,” said Jojen. “We have come too far to turn back now, Meera. We would never make it back to the Wall alive. We go with Bran’s monster, or we die.”

"

So Jojen, and CH's raven, and Coldhands himself said, that he is Bran's monster.

They were questioning CH who is he. And they came to conclusion, that he is a monster. Bran's monster. And they have no choice, but to still go with him.

Ok, let’s look at just the speech... maybe that will be simpler to see. And remember how Jojen is always wrong...

There are Three sets of questions: 

Who are you? Why are your hands black?” -Meera

“Once the heart has ceased to beat, a man’s blood runs down into his extremities, where it thickens and congeals.” “His hands and feet swell up and turn as black as pudding. The rest of him becomes as white as milk.” - Coldhands

Show us your face.”-Meera

He’s dead.”  “Meera, he’s some dead thing. The monsters cannot pass so long as the Wall stands and the men of the Night’s Watch stay true, that’s what Old Nan used to say. He came to meet us at the Wall, but he could not pass. He sent Sam instead, with that wildling girl.” -Bran

“Who sent you? Who is this three-eyed crow?” -Meera

“A friend. Dreamer, wizard, call him what you will. The last green-seer.” -Coldhands

A monster,” -Bran

“Your monster, Brandon Stark.” -Coldhands

Yours,” “Yours, yours, yours.” -ravens

Jojen, did you dream this?”  “Who is he? What is he? What do we do now?”-Meera

We go with the ranger,” said Jojen. “We have come too far to turn back now, Meera. We would never make it back to the Wall alive. We go with Bran’s monster, or we die.”

Jojen doesn’t answer if he’s dreamed this (important omission, especially given the 3ec and that jojen has dreamed his own death) and continues his confusion over who/what the three eyed crow is... remember jojen is the reason they are headed north in the first place.

Archived