US Politics: March Madness

Fragile Bird

3 hours ago, Shryke said:

It's altered fairly fundamentally by computational power actually since gerrymandering is now a lot easier to make a lot stronger.

I disagree, but that ultimately boils down to what your definition of fundamental is.

3 hours ago, Tywin et al. said:

I think you can honestly explain that as just being overwhelmed by everything that was going on around him. What troubles me is the clear devolution of his thought process and speech patterns.  Trump was never a great thinker or orator, but if you look back to interviews from the 80’s, 90’s and even 00’s, you can see that he was at least competent. You can’t say that anymore. He talks worse than my 9 year old god daughter and it’s clear that his mind has degenerated. Our racists, idiotic uncle who is now showing signs of deterioration is at the helm of our ship. God help us all…..

No, I think you're seeing the same thing that happens to every politician. they're exceptionally good at extemperaneous interaction, but when they have to PERFORM the role of the kind of politician that is their public persona they become much lesser overall. 

To a very clear extent, Trump is performing a role of "TRUMP!" the politician, as you said later,  a wrestling heel.  His verbal stumblings and bumblings and changes in thought and speech patterns are because Trump is trying to fit and reframe his responses into a response consistent with the "TRUMP!" role that he plays. 

GWB did the same thing, as the Connecticut silver spoon up his ass american royalty scion spoiled yankee played the persona of the aw shucks born again texas southerner. his brother John Elias portrays the persona of JEB! the southerner. 

https://www.politico.com/story/2018/03/28/mueller-rick-gates-russia-ties-489693

Mueller: Rick Gates spoke to person with Russian spy ties in late 2016

Rick Gates, a senior official on President Donald Trump’s campaign, was in contact in September and October 2016 with an associate who the FBI assessed had ongoing ties to Russia's intelligence services, special counsel Robert Mueller said in a new court filing.

In a federal court filing Tuesday, Mueller described the associate of Gates and former campaign chairman Paul Manafort as “Person A” and said Gates was aware of the person’s links to the GRU intelligence service. The individual has been identified in news reports as Konstantin Kilimnik, a longtime business associate from Manafort’s days working on behalf of a Kremlin-aligned Ukrainian political party.

2 hours ago, Martell Spy said:

http://nymag.com/daily/intelligencer/2018/03/trump-obsessed-with-amazon-wants-to-crush-washington-post.html

Trump Is ‘Obsessed’ With Amazon Because He Wants to Crush the Washington Post

this could be the one good thing trump ever does, but of course his creamed corn brain will get the better of him and nothing will happen

Well, David Shulkin is out at Veteran's Affairs. Per Trump's tweet.

His replacement? That nice doctor, Admiral Ronny Jackson, who said Trump's weight + height were below the obese level.

https://www.politico.com/story/2018/03/28/trump-says-hell-nominate-white-house-doctor-ronny-jackson-to-be-va-secretary-490886

1 hour ago, unpaid comintern said:

this could be the one good thing trump ever does, but of course his creamed corn brain will get the better of him and nothing will happen

What's wrong with the Washington Post? It's the closest to a normal media outlet that the USA has, rather than an infotainment advertising channel.

19 minutes ago, Yukle said:

What's wrong with the Washington Post? It's the closest to a normal media outlet that the USA has, rather than an infotainment advertising channel.

It's owned by Amazon. And it writes truthful things that hurt Donnie's feelings.

3 hours ago, Kalbear said:

I think that the idea that Trump is clearly in some kind of alzheimer dementia is wishful thinking. I agree he's not as sharp as he was 20 years ago, but it's not clear at all that he's impaired, and the idea that his legal team left him (as @Tywin et al. mentioned) because of it seems like wishful thinking. The obvious answer is that he's really difficult to work with, and lawyers don't like to lose, especially when their clients won't listen to their advice. 

It doesn't have to be Alzheimer's, which he most likely does not have. There are various levels of cognitive decline, and we all begin to decline a lot earlier than many would think. 

Anyways I went back and looked at my original comment and I think it's fair to say that I could have been a little bit clearer by saying that cognitive decline could have been one of many reasons for Dowd's resignation, because I agree that the one you listed were also at play.

As to politically, I am entirely skeptical simply because the only threat to Trump is if the Republican congresspeople turn against him, and there has been zero sign of this so far. They won't even vote to pass a law stating that Mueller can't be fired.

At this point they'd probably only turn against him if he causes them to get wiped out in the midterms, and maybe not even then. Their willingness to defend him is frankly absurd. I wonder if there are any comparative examples in the modern Western world, because I can't think of any off the top of my head (maybe Berlusconi, but I know very little about Italian politics). 

3 hours ago, lokisnow said:

No, I think you're seeing the same thing that happens to every politician. they're exceptionally good at extemperaneous interaction, but when they have to PERFORM the role of the kind of politician that is their public persona they become much lesser overall. 

To a very clear extent, Trump is performing a role of "TRUMP!" the politician, as you said later,  a wrestling heel.  His verbal stumblings and bumblings and changes in thought and speech patterns are because Trump is trying to fit and reframe his responses into a response consistent with the "TRUMP!" role that he plays. 

GWB did the same thing, as the Connecticut silver spoon up his ass american royalty scion spoiled yankee played the persona of the aw shucks born again texas southerner. his brother John Elias portrays the persona of JEB! the southerner. 

There is some truth to this, but Trump is a massive exaggeration. I've worked with a number of elected officials, and they are pretty much the same in public as they are in private sans the swearing. What you typically get is a more polished version of the individual, which common in many professions. 

5 minutes ago, Kalbear said:

It's owned by Amazon. And it writes truthful things that hurt Donnie's feelings.

Ooooooh, that makes sense. I didn't know that connection. Now it makes much more sense.

I think that Alex Baldwin nailed it when he said, the guise of Trump which was once caricature but now just accurate, "The media is so unfair to me... they keep taking all of the terrible things I say and do and putting them on TV."

5 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

It doesn't have to be Alzheimer's, which he most likely does not have. There are various levels of cognitive decline, and we all begin to decline a lot earlier than many would think. 

Raegan had Alzheimer's while President for at least two years. And there was mention among his closest advisers that he was beginning to slip. But I think that set the precedent that it's not enough on its own even if Trump did have it.

However, I'm with you in that he probably doesn't have it. He's just that stupid to start with.

8 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

At this point they'd probably only turn against him if he causes them to get wiped out in the midterms, and maybe not even then. Their willingness to defend him is frankly absurd. I wonder if there are any comparative examples in the modern Western world, because I can't think of any off the top of my head (maybe Berlusconi, but I know very little about Italian politics). 

The flip side of this is that at least so far, Trump has not actually done anything that is particularly worse than Clinton, so they've got that as a measuring stick. Another reason Clinton should have resigned. 

2 minutes ago, Kalbear said:

The flip side of this is that at least so far, Trump has not actually done anything that is particularly worse than Clinton, so they've got that as a measuring stick. Another reason Clinton should have resigned. 

Absolutely disagree. Clinton never defended Nazis. The damage that Trump has done by allowing Nazis to be treated as credible alternative parties within America is going to be far-reaching and take generations to repair.

Similarly, Clinton never made a cavalier decision to recognise Jerusalem as capital of Israel. In and of itself, whether this is a good or bad thing is separate to the fact that it was so poorly done that people will die from that decision. It was a bargaining chip and he has already spent it, for nothing in return.

11 minutes ago, Yukle said:

Raegan had Alzheimer's while President for at least two years. And there was mention among his closest advisers that he was beginning to slip. But I think that set the precedent that it's not enough on its own even if Trump did have it.

However, I'm with you in that he probably doesn't have it. He's just that stupid to start with.

My dad always jokes that Nancy had to sign the bills for him at the end of his second term. Anyways, I have no idea how this affected what happened with Iran-Contra, but Reagan should have had to resign over that (also, you clearly need to eat a Snickers. You're not yourself, making spelling errors like that about a historical figure when you're a history teacher (I win, you lose, go team Milky Way!) :P). 

13 minutes ago, Kalbear said:

With regards to their personal lives, sure. I've never liked Bill Clinton and agree he should have resigned. I take it as a badge of honor that I on multiple occasions have turned down the chance to have an official photo with him. But I agree with Yukle, everything else outside of their personal lives is quite different. 

2 hours ago, unpaid comintern said:

Why are you gunning for WaPo? Do you really think shit's going to get better if we lose one of the better journalistic outlets in the US? 

36 minutes ago, Xray the Enforcer said:

Why are you gunning for WaPo? Do you really think shit's going to get better if we lose one of the better journalistic outlets in the US? 

What we have are empty media  personalities and talking heads and scrip readers. Journalists went extinct long ago.

1 hour ago, Yukle said:

Ooooooh, that makes sense. I didn't know that connection. Now it makes much more sense.

I think that Alex Baldwin nailed it when he said, the guise of Trump which was once caricature but now just accurate, "The media is so unfair to me... they keep taking all of the terrible things I say and do and putting them on TV."

I think Trump has clueless racist uncle disease. And let us be honest. Trump could have his brain replaced by parasitic aliens and Republicans would be chanting "Suuuupreeeeme Coooourt."

Archived