The Grateful Dead & Their Influence

Bloodraven's Spider

As many of you may know, George is very big fan of the Grateful Dead. Their body of work and overall catalog has played a major role in shaping The World of Ice and Fire. They happen to be my favorite band so I've been wanting to do this thread for a while... Listed below will be a collection of Grateful Dead influences. Some are easy to read into others not so much. Without a further a do "The Grateful Dead"

1) The most obvious the sigil of House Stark: Dire Wolf

2) The role of fire needs no explanation. Though when Jon and the other rangers go beyond the wall we know how a fire spotted in the mountains can mean life or death

3) The layout of the series is to see the world through the respective characters own eyes and mind. This is more related to Bran as he was in a coma and woke up to find out he truly is the eyes of the world 

4) Sticking with Bran..."Cassidy"

5) Scarlet (and all colors for that matter) play a significant role in the story. Scarlet is heavily aligned with fires/Mel/Aerions clothes in the hedge knight/etc "Scarlet Begonias"

6) Location Location Location... The mountains of the moon and where the hell is Darkstar hiding? Darkstar is the biggest mystery to all dead heads even after 40 years know one except Robert Hunter (he wrote the song with Jerry Garcia) is really the only person who knows what it means. Anyone want to take a stab at it?

7) The Golden Road anyone?

8) Roses clearly play a major part in the story from Lyanna's death bed to the rose road to the company of the rose to bael the bard...

9) Bob Weir the rhythm guitarist... WEIRwood...

If there are any other dead heads on here and I missed some please let me know! At the end of the day ASOIAF is just a giant masterpiece influenced by the greatest band of all time with that said:

I do believe George RR Martin has confirmed to being a fan of the Grateful Dead.

There have been many an amusing theory written about the connections in the forums here. Not to take away from your thread @Bloodraven's Spider, but you may want to check this other thread out as well if you are in to this connection. :)

http://asoiaf.westeros.org/index.php?/topic/133521-the-biggest-secret-identity-reveal-in-all-of-asoiaf-bigger-than-rlj/

9 hours ago, The Fattest Leech said:

I do believe George RR Martin has confirmed to being a fan of the Grateful Dead.

There have been many an amusing theory written about the connections in the forums here. Not to take away from your thread @Bloodraven's Spider, but you may want to check this other thread out as well if you are in to this connection. :)

http://asoiaf.westeros.org/index.php?/topic/133521-the-biggest-secret-identity-reveal-in-all-of-asoiaf-bigger-than-rlj/

That thread was increisble. Thanks!!! @Foot_Of_The_King George is a pretty big dead head. He was at the Fare The Well event in 2015. The dead and their songs have definitely some role to play in the ASOIAF. It's just some are harder to dissect than others. 

Archived