Theory: Tyrek is the fAegon.

Angel Eyes

21 hours ago, Mat92 said:

@Lost Melnibonean I think the biggest takeaway from your in-depth post is that House Hayford was once loyal to the Targaryens. We know that Varys is interested in putting a Targ back on the throne (real or not), so it would make sense that Varys would want to get rid of any Lannister influence on a house that could change allegiances when the time comes. 

I don't think he's using Tyrek for anything, I think he is well and truly dead. Varys' investigation skills are very thorough, so whenever he says he can't find something/someone - in KINGS LANDING of all places - it's pretty suspicious. 

If this was the case and Varys is responsible, I don't think he specifically knew about the riots - more that he acted quickly when he had the chance. Otherwise, he'd likely have tried to implicate someone else for the crime. 

That's a brilliant idea.

However, doesn't it seem like a big risk in order to influence what is essentially a very minor house? I'm not ruling it out, but would suggest that if that were the motivation, there would need to be a reason for House Hayford to be more important to the Targ Loyalists' plans than it currently appears.

14 hours ago, Light a wight tonight said:

Maybe one of Benjen's possible bastards that he might or might not have alluded to when speaking with Jon regarding joining the Watch.

That's a little too close to what I warned people about. I'm fetching the matches...

I'm not a fan of baseless secret so-and-so theories, but it's fact that there's a long line of characters who are confirmed secret so-and-sos (Arya's had a lot of aliases, Sansa as Alayne, Jon, Bran at a point, Rickon likely, Jaime at a point, JonCon, Aegon, Tyrion as Hugor Hill and Yollo, Theon as Reek, Egg...) and an even longer list of characters whom we suspect are not who they claim to be. GRRM uses the device a lot whether we like it or not. If the symbols are there, I don't think it's right to poo-poo following those symbols just because we don't like a certain plot device which the author clearly favors and uses often. Even if the character is not in fact a secret so-and-so, following the symbols has merit: Mance =/= Rhaegar, but GRRM has linked Mance to Rhaegar in a literary way and there's a purpose to that. Folks just took it too literally but what they were picking up on was legit. 

As I said above, I don't see any Lannister symbols around Aegon. But the Stark associations are quite heavy-handed imho. Aegon's "father" wears a wolf skin which is mentioned repeatedly and his name links him to the Starks as for the reader Jon Snow is the Jon. JonCon is a parallel to Ned in that he has a Ned-like disposition and was more or less to Rhaegar what Ned was to Robert. The wolfskin is red which links to Brandon as Jaime describes Brandon as having blood in his veins instead of Ned's cold water. Brandon was to marry Catelyn but it ended up being Ned. The Tully marriage resulted in a pack of red wolves so perhaps another link between JonCon and Brandon. Brandon had an excess of wolf's blood - meaning hot-headedness. Where Ned was icy, Brandon was red and hot. Brandon and Lyanna tend to be grouped by their similarities. We have Lyanna linked to Targs via Rhaegar like Brandon is linked to Ashara. In the same book where we find out about Aegon, we find Brandon linked to Ashara who is linked to Dany (GRRM loves chain associations and chain foreshadowing) and we also find out that Brandon, uh, liked to get around. Their time going through the Rhoyne also links Aegon to Northy things as they wanted Aegon and the Stonemen sound very related to the Others. Parallels to be found in Jon's fight with Othor. Blue hair in honor of his mother immediately makes us think of Lyanna, and while no, Lyanna is not Aegon's mother, but when combined with the other symbols, it really looks like the author intended to turn our minds to the Starks yet again on the subject of Aegon. All of the Stark kids of a generation have a wolf protector. So does Aegon in JonCon. 

The description of Aegon's statue is a whack-upside-the-head Northy. Lifelike stone statues, swords, pools, cherry trees which are linked to red and white, and Tyrion finds those weirwood-y mushrooms. Also note that Tyrion's mind turns to Starky stuff. Sentinel is linked to North stuff. and note that Aegon stands on water: he's either Jesus or that's implied ice.

ADWD Tyrion I

Beneath his window six cherry trees stood sentinel around a marble pool, their slender branches bare and brown. A naked boy stood on the water, poised to duel with a bravo's blade in hand. He was lithe and handsome, no older than sixteen, with straight blond hair that brushed his shoulders. So lifelike did he seem that it took the dwarf a long moment to realize he was made of painted marble, though his sword shimmered like true steel.

Across the pool stood a brick wall twelve feet high, with iron spikes along its top. Beyond that was the city. A sea of tiled rooftops crowded close around a bay. He saw square brick towers, a great red temple, a distant manse upon a hill. In the far distance, sunlight shimmered off deep water. Fishing boats were moving across the bay, their sails rippling in the wind, and he could see the masts of larger ships poking up along the shore. Surely one is bound for Dorne, or for Eastwatch-by-the-Sea. He had no means to pay for passage, though, nor was he made to pull an oar. I suppose I could sign on as a cabin boy and earn my way by letting the crew bugger me up and down the narrow sea.

Tyrion left the fat women to their loaves and kettles and went in search of the cellar where Illyrio had decanted him the night before. It was not hard to find. There was enough wine there to keep him drunk for a hundred years; sweet reds from the Reach and sour reds from Dorne, pale Pentoshi ambers, the green nectar of Myr, three score casks of Arbor gold, even wines from the fabled east, from Qarth and Yi Ti and Asshai by the Shadow. In the end, Tyrion chose a cask of strongwine marked as the private stock of Lord Runceford Redwyne, the grandfather of the present Lord of the Arbor. The taste of it was languorous and heady on the tongue, the color a purple so dark that it looked almost black in the dim-lit cellar. Tyrion filled a cup, and a flagon for good measure, and carried them up to the gardens to drink beneath those cherry trees he'd seen.

As it happened, he left by the wrong door and never found the pool he had spied from his window, but it made no matter. The gardens behind the manse were just as pleasant, and far more extensive. He wandered through them for a time, drinking. The walls would have shamed any proper castle, and the ornamental iron spikes along the top looked strangely naked without heads to adorn them. Tyrion pictured how his sister's head might look up there, with tar in her golden hair and flies buzzing in and out of her mouth. Yes, and Jaime must have the spike beside her, he decided. No one must ever come between my brother and my sister.

With a rope and a grapnel he might be able to get over that wall. He had strong arms and he did not weigh much. He should be able to clamber over, if he did not impale himself on a spike. I will search for a rope on the morrow, he resolved.

He saw three gates during his wanderings—the main entrance with its gatehouse, a postern by the kennels, and a garden gate hidden behind a tangle of pale ivy. The last was chained, the others guarded. The guards were plump, their faces as smooth as babies' bottoms, and every man of them wore a spiked bronze cap. Tyrion knew eunuchs when he saw them. He knew their sort by reputation. They feared nothing and felt no pain, it was said, and were loyal to their masters unto death. I could make good use of a few hundred of mine own, he reflected. A pity I did not think of that before I became a beggar.

He walked along a pillared gallery and through a pointed arch, and found himself in a tiled courtyard where a woman was washing clothes at a well. She looked to be his own age, with dull red hair and a broad face dotted by freckles. "Would you like some wine?" he asked her. She looked at him uncertainly. "I have no cup for you, we'll have to share." The washerwoman went back to wringing out tunics and hanging them to dry. Tyrion settled on a stone bench with his flagon. "Tell me, how far should I trust Magister Illyrio?" The name made her look up. "That far?" Chuckling, he crossed his stunted legs and took a drink. "I am loath to play whatever part the cheesemonger has in mind for me, yet how can I refuse him? The gates are guarded. Perhaps you might smuggle me out under your skirts? I'd be so grateful; why, I'll even wed you. I have two wives already, why not three? Ah, but where would we live?" He gave her as pleasant a smile as a man with half a nose could manage. "I have a niece in Sunspear, did I tell you? I could make rather a lot of mischief in Dorne with Myrcella. I could set my niece and nephew at war, wouldn't that be droll?" The washerwoman pinned up one of Illyrio's tunics, large enough to double as a sail. "I should be ashamed to think such evil thoughts, you're quite right. Better if I sought the Wall instead. All crimes are wiped clean when a man joins the Night's Watch, they say. Though I fear they would not let me keep you, sweetling. No women in the Watch, no sweet freckly wives to warm your bed at night, only cold winds, salted cod, and small beer. Do you think I might stand taller in black, my lady?" He filled his cup again. "What do you say? North or south? Shall I atone for old sins or make some new ones?"

The washerwoman gave him one last glance, picked up her basket, and walked away. I cannot seem to hold a wife for very long, Tyrion reflected. Somehow his flagon had gone dry. Perhaps I should stumble back down to the cellars. The strongwine was making his head spin, though, and the cellar steps were very steep. "Where do whores go?" he asked the wash flapping on the line. Perhaps he should have asked the washerwoman. Not to imply that you're a whore, my dear, but perhaps you know where they go. Or better yet, he should have asked his father. "Wherever whores go," Lord Tywin said. She loved me. She was a crofter's daughter, she loved me and she wed me, she put her trust in me.

The empty flagon slipped from his hand and rolled across the yard. Tyrion pushed himself off the bench and went to fetch it. As he did, he saw some mushrooms growing up from a cracked paving tile. Pale white they were, with speckles, and red-ribbed undersides dark as blood. The dwarf snapped one off and sniffed it. Delicious, he thought, and deadly.

There were seven of the mushrooms. Perhaps the Seven were trying to tell him something. He picked them all, snatched a glove down from the line, wrapped them carefully, and stuffed them down his pocket. The effort made him dizzy, so afterward he crawled back onto the bench, curled up, and shut his eyes.

On ‎3‎/‎27‎/‎2018 at 9:22 AM, Lollygag said:

For other reasons, I've looked into Lannister associations around Aegon and I just don't see them. However, there's a lot of Stark stuff surrounding Aegon for some reason. If you're in the mood for secret so-and-so's, being a secret Stark might be a more interesting route. 

Don't know if he'd be a bastard of Brandon or an unknown bastard of Ned or if the Stark stuff is there for some other reason than to indicate a secret birth. I dunno. It's just there. 

I'd be interested in reading about this... Are you planning to do a  writeup?

Edit:  you already did, lol. I'm behind the times today.

Archived