Ned warged the boar that killed Robert

1 hour ago, Dead headofMaelysKinslayer said:

Varys tells Ned that his mercy killed Robert.

From Arya's chapters we learn that killing could be mercy. We also know that boars can be warged (Borroq).

Given that Ned was doing all that he could to keep Robert alive, and that his death caused him great difficulties, which he was immediately aware of, I don't think so.  His mercy was warning Cersei, which resulted in her amping up her efforts to kill Robert.

16 minutes ago, Nevets said:

Given that Ned was doing all that he could to keep Robert alive, and that his death caused him great difficulties, which he was immediately aware of, I don't think so.  His mercy was warning Cersei, which resulted in her amping up her efforts to kill Robert.

He did it when he was unconcious.

Varys tells Ned that his mercy killed Robert.

Was this because Eddard gave Cersei warning to take her children and flee?  Did Varys try to lay a guilt trip on the dying Eddard? I speculate Eddard was a dead man before his beheading due to the infection of his leg.

From Arya's chapters we learn that killing could be mercy.

Is this because the Hound showed Arya where the heart was when he offed the man begging for mercy or does it have to do with the HoBaW? Hell, there is even a preview chapter titled Mercy.

We also know that boars can be warged (Borroq).

Damn those wildling skinchangers. Borroq needed to keep his arse at home. I tolded him to stop sneaking over and around dat damn Wall. Would he listen, NO.

LOL, this careful reader (I dislike the phrase) thinks that martin uses words to mean different things. To put it politely, a problem for me on first read.

The Oxford dictionary has a bazillion of descriptions for a single word and don’t forget to break out the thesaurus. Pay me no mind, I'm trying to be ambiguous and intellectual and all knowing. :blink::wacko::D:unsure:

16 minutes ago, Nowy Tends said:

Me nem nesa

:idea:  Ummmm, I'm curious, is that a dothraki curse word?

19 minutes ago, Nowy Tends said:

Borroq is a secret Stark

No, he is not. Borroq gets into his skinchanger mode and won't pay attention to what anyone says and goes where he wants to go.

7 hours ago, White Ravens said:

Thank you for the excellent link!  Here is my shiny new theory...

"Daario Naharis is Azor Ahai".

Keep clicking and you'll get to the bestest ever: Stannis is a CotF. :D

To the OP, I was gonna say, in jest, "No, not Ned. It was Bloodraven!" But I see someone already said that. And seriously. :wideeyed:

To be fair to the OP, maybe we should address the topic a bit.

There was a thread a while ago that theorized that a boar in the story always represents regime change.

I haven't looked too closely at all the boars served in feasts or in other forms, but I did think there was a wordplay connection between Robb / Robert / boar / bore and bear. Robb's death struck me as a parallel of the traditional Boar's Head Festival that marks the death of the winter king at the time of the winter solstice.

For me, the most interesting line with regard to Ned, Robert and "boars" is this as he begs to spare the life of the direwolf Lady:

All Ned could do was take her in his arms and hold her while she wept. He looked across the room at Robert. His old friend, closer than any brother. "Please, Robert. For the love you bear me. For the love you bore my sister. Please."

(AGoT, Eddard III)

I don't think that Ned warged the boar that killed Robert. On the other hand, he sent Ser Robar Royce to find Robert on his hunting trip and tell him that Ned was dispatching Ser Beric Dondarrion and others to stop Ser Gregor's rampage in the Riverlands. "Robar" is probably part of the "boar" wordplay and he is also present at the death of Renly. The name is probably also linked to the word "barrow" and represents something about the Celtic beliefs in the afterlife or otherworld.

If you can stand more wordplay, there is probably also some interesting work to be done on the word "game," since it is featured in the "A Game of Thrones" title and since we see hunting as an ongoing motif in the books. A wild boar would be game, along with a stag, rabbit, squirrel or other animals hunted for meat. In the game of thrones, you win or you die (and become meat).

It does seem significant that Borroq shows up with his boar just before Jon is attacked. Note that Borroq calls Jon "brother." I think he symbolizes Robb. Instead of living with the other wildlings, he chooses to live in the lichyard (graveyard) with his boar. On the other hand, Jon's Night's Watch "brothers" are the people who stab him. Maybe Borroq is more part of that group of brothers.

Just before Dany climbs on Drogon and flies out of the fighting pit, Drogon kills and eats both a boar and the woman fighter who used the animal as a weapon in the entertainment.

So boars are a good (if not entirely new) topic. If you're serious about your theory, you'd have to cite some more details, though, to persuade me that Ned wargs the boar that kills Robert.

Come on. We all know that it was Bran. We've seen how his powers, even as an untrained child, eclipse Bryndan Rivers', and seen how he can project his will through time and space to influence not only animals, but also communicate with other human beings. Bran built The Wall! Bran built Winterfell! So, obviously, Bran decided to put his own father in mortal jeopardy as well as his mother, brothers and sisters, by entering some random boar in the Kingswood and cleverly catching King Robert the Sot while he was particularly drunk.

Ned didn't even remember the days when the Starks had strong bonds with their direwolves.

Archived