Happy Easter

Which Tyler

On ‎3‎/‎30‎/‎2018 at 9:51 AM, Tywin et al. said:

Oh Easter, what a lovely Pagan Christian holiday.

Tywin, is Passover a pagan holiday? Because, ya know, Jesus and the apostles were celebrating Passover just before he was crucified. They were not celebrating a pagan god or goddess of any kind.

8 hours ago, Neddy's Girl said:

Yup.  Anyone for Eostre?

Nope. Almost every other language in Europe uses some form of the word for Passover in Hebrew. The English decided to use an ancient word with German roots with Latin roots meaning the east. Bede is the only person who claimed it came from eostre. Nobody else did.

Passover? no it's Abrahamic. But then, Passover not the same as Easter.

Same time of the year; different things.

As for your claim on Bede - that's simply untrue I'm afraid. It's a very popular idea, the only question is whether it comes specifically from the goddess Eostre, or one of her many "other faces". Eostre herself comes later to the world than Easter as a celebration; but we don't really know when the Christian festival took the name "Easter". Most historians that disagree with Bede (several agree) only really disagree on the specifics.

Whether you call the goddess/celebration Ostara, Ishtar, Eostre, Eastra, Beltain* or whatever, it came first, and is timed based on the cycles of the moon (fertility) and still retains just about all of its imagery (other than crosses) from paganism.
All religions borrow stuff from other religions/traditions - including things like the great flood and the resurrection myth (I don't remember if that was a Sumerian or Egyptian original, but both had it IIRC).

Pagan spring festivals outdate the existence of Christianity; and indeed the existence of Judaeism; let alone the existence of Passover. FTR: Ishtara dates from around 4000-3000 BC;  Passover from around 15-1400 BC; IIRC the Abrahamic Covenant was supposedly 1812 - but not the one with the great score.

Hell, Ancient Egypt as a civilisation didn't get started until 3200-3100 BC; so Ishtar outdate Egypt, the Jews they enslaved, and the Jews they subsequently released.

* More accurately related to May Day and virgins dancing around a phallus; but I have seen it conflated with Easter as well.

I've been agnostic and rabidly anti-organized religion my entire life.  I don't get the urge on this board or throughout the internet (granted, this was a much more volatile thing in past forums I've frequented, so I'm projecting) to shit on any religious holiday whenever it comes up.  If you celebrate Easter, or Passover, or what-the-fuck-ever, good for you and your family.  I hope you and yours the best.  He is Risen, and all that.

4 hours ago, Which Tyler said:

Passover? no it's Abrahamic. But then, Passover not the same as Easter.

Same time of the year; different things.

As for your claim on Bede - that's simply untrue I'm afraid. It's a very popular idea, the only question is whether it comes specifically from the goddess Eostre, or one of her many "other faces". Eostre herself comes later to the world than Easter as a celebration; but we don't really know when the Christian festival took the name "Easter". Most historians that disagree with Bede (several agree) only really disagree on the specifics.

Whether you call the goddess/celebration Ostara, Ishtar, Eostre, Eastra, Beltain* or whatever, it came first, and is timed based on the cycles of the moon (fertility) and still retains just about all of its imagery (other than crosses) from paganism.
All religions borrow stuff from other religions/traditions - including things like the great flood and the resurrection myth (I don't remember if that was a Sumerian or Egyptian original, but both had it IIRC).

Pagan spring festivals outdate the existence of Christianity; and indeed the existence of Judaeism; let alone the existence of Passover. FTR: Ishtara dates from around 4000-3000 BC;  Passover from around 15-1400 BC; IIRC the Abrahamic Covenant was supposedly 1812 - but not the one with the great score.

Look, Jesus was a Jew. His apostles were Jews. They were celebrating Passover the night before he died. Easter is celebrated roughly at the time of Passover. The dates diverged after early councils chose a convoluted method of when Easter was to be celebrated, but it’s still associated with death of Jesus at Passover. It is not celebrated as a secret celebration of pagan goddesses of fertility, no matter how many times you say it! :lol:

If Bedevwanted to believe that story, good for him, but no other contemporary or earlier writer or later writer told that story.

And in that note, believe what you want. I know what I believe. :) 

Happy Easter!

4 hours ago, dmc515 said:

to shit on any religious holiday whenever it comes up.  If you celebrate Easter, or Passover, or what-the-fuck-ever, good for you and your family.  I hope you and yours the best.  He is Risen, and all that.

Who's shitting on anything?

16 minutes ago, Fragile Bird said:

Look, Jesus was a Jew. His apostles were Jews. They were celebrating Passover the night before he died. Easter is celebrated roughly at the time of Passover. The dates diverged after early councils chose a convoluted method of when Easter was to be celebrated, but it’s still associated with death of Jesus at Passover. It is not celebrated as a secret celebration of pagan goddesses of fertility, no matter how many times you say it! :lol:

If Bedevwanted to believe that story, good for him, but no other contemporary or earlier writer or later writer told that story.

And in that note, believe what you want. I know what I believe. :) 

Happy Easter!

And your point is?

Has anyone claimed that Jesus wasn't Jewish? Or that he didn't celebrate Passover? Or that modern people are celebrating a pagan Goddess?

Personally I was engaging in what I considered to be an interesting discussion on the origin of Easter, which most definitely is a spring, pagan, fertility festival.

The idea that Bede is/was alone in this belief is pretty ludicrous TBH (he may have been alone in attributing it solely to the specific Germanic goddess Eastre though) - as is the idea that the modern celebration is pagan, not Abrahamic.

My apologies to anyone who disagrees that it's an interesting discussion, or even is offended by it.

As for the rest, to yes, Happy Easter

Happy Easter, fellow boarders!

Speaking of bunnies, they seem to have been socializing in my backyard the past couple of weeks. There are rabbit droppings everywhere. I'm hoping they nest again this year in the backyard. Bunnies are so cute.

Archived