lightbringer is not necessary

aventador577

If it comes down to a one on one duel with the Nights King or head white walker then one sword might be pretty useful. And although it seems that Dragon glass, and possibly Valyrian steel and dragon fire are effective at killing white walkers, we should remember that there are two more books to go. The odds of GRRM making it so that the NK gets his hands on something that negates the usefulness of these items are pretty high. In fact if you've read the pre-release chapters of TWOW then you maybe already know.

I think after realising that the NK can withstand those things Jon will have no choice but to sacrifice someone to create Lightbringer. If Lightbringer is a flaming sword then its probably going to have to be one made from flame proof steel. If there really is power in kings blood then maybe we should be looking at which VS swords have been used to kill anyone from Noble families. So i'd put my money on Lightbringer being the stark sword Ice. Neds death represents the water tempering in the AA myth. A Lannister death to either of Oathkeeper or Widows Wail would be next for the lions heart, then the swords could be reforged into one and Jon may end up killing Dany with it to create Lightbringer. Of course the last tempering was a sacrifice so I think Dany's third betrayal-fire-mount are all the one thing involving her death. She betrays Jon somehow so he has to kill her, her death ignites Lightbringer and the final mount is the great Stallion that takes her to be with Drogo in the afterlife.

13 hours ago, Megorova said:

Azor Ahai forged Lightbringer in sacred flames in temple. After forging it second time, he tried to complete it, by killing a lion. Nissa's heart was third attempt. Also, when AA fought agains some monster, he thrusted the sword thru that moster's belly. Thus it definitely was a sword, and not some sort of metaphor for something else.

Lightbringer and the sword may be two different things.  I think the sword in question already exists and it's hanging in the Palestone Tower waiting for someone to claim it.

5 minutes ago, LynnS said:

Lightbringer and the sword may be two different things.  I think the sword in question already exists and it's hanging in the Palestone Tower waiting for someone to claim it.

And I think that it's Dawn sword of Daynes. And it's hidden in crypts under Winterfell, in Lyanna's tomb. If Jon is Azor Ahai, and he will draw Lightbringer out of fire, then it seems that GRRM was inspired by legend about Arthur and Excalibur, and LOTR story about Aragorn and reforged sword of his ancestor. According to some legends, Arthur didn't pulled out that sword from stone, instead it was given to him by Lady of the Lake.

So Jon drawing Dawn sword from Lyanna's tomb, where there is Lyanna's stone statue, when Winterfell crypts will be on fire (maybe because some Starks there, whose swords are missing, will rise as wights), is a combination of drawing sword from stone (Lyanna's statue), receiving sword from Lady of the Lake, that will tell Jon that the sword is there (Ashara Dayne, who I think didn't died, but rather married with Howland Reed, and since then was living in The Neck, where there are lakes and bogs, so she is Lady of the Lake), and drawing sword from fire. 

Someone said that GRRM didn't revealed words of House Dayne, because they are a spoiler. So I think that their words are something like - "We bring the light", or "Dawn brings the light", or "I am lightbringer", or some other play of words about light.

19 minutes ago, Megorova said:

Someone said that GRRM didn't revealed words of House Dayne, because they are a spoiler. So I think that their words are something like - "We bring the light", or "Dawn brings the light", or "I am lightbringer", or some other play of words about light.

I'm going with "Let the Wicked Tremble" for House Dayne and the 'sword of justice'.

5 minutes ago, LynnS said:

I'm going with "Let the Wicked Tremble" for House Dayne and the 'sword of justice'.

Shouldn't House's words be relevant to their sigil, or represent them in some way, be some sort of "heart" of their House?

For example:

connection to their sigils - Lannisters - lion - Hear Me Roar!; Tyrells - golden rose - Growing Strong; Starks - running direwolf - Winter is coming; Arryns - falcon - As High as Honor; Hightowers - tower crowned with flames (some sort of beacon/lighthouse) -  We Light the Way;

connection to essense of their House - Greyjoys - We Do Not Sow; Boltons - flayed man - Our Blades are Sharp; Martells - Unbowed, Unbent, Unbroken (probably representation of them not accepting defeat); Tullys - Family, Duty, Honor.

House Dayne's sigil is crossed falling star and white sword, and some of their family members were called Sword of the Morning, so shouldn't their words be also either representing their sigil - star or sword, or show essense of their House - that their knights are best in Westeros?

Though maybe not :dunno: GRRM can choose even something indirect, or unrelated to their sigil.

34 minutes ago, Megorova said:

Shouldn't House's words be relevant to their sigil, or represent them in some way, be some sort of "heart" of their House?

For example:

connection to their sigils - Lannisters - lion - Hear Me Roar!; Tyrells - golden rose - Growing Strong; Starks - running direwolf - Winter is coming; Arryns - falcon - As High as Honor; Hightowers - tower crowned with flames (some sort of beacon/lighthouse) -  We Light the Way;

connection to essense of their House - Greyjoys - We Do Not Sow; Boltons - flayed man - Our Blades are Sharp; Martells - Unbowed, Unbent, Unbroken (probably representation of them not accepting defeat); Tullys - Family, Duty, Honor.

House Dayne's sigil is crossed falling star and white sword, and some of their family members were called Sword of the Morning, so shouldn't their words be also either representing their sigil - star or sword, or show essense of their House - that their knights are best in Westeros?

Though maybe not :dunno: GRRM can choose even something indirect, or unrelated to their sigil.

The words are spoken by the High Sparrow and I'm making a connection between the stars and the swords of the ancient order of the sword and the stars AND the sigial of house Dayne - a star and  sword.  

On 4/1/2018 at 4:18 PM, kissdbyfire said:

Was there? Or that's just what we've been told?

If there wasn't any need, why would we be told of Lightbringer? The legend exists in many cultures, so whatever happened was significant. 

On 4/1/2018 at 4:18 PM, kissdbyfire said:

Fiery swords would be very helpful against the wights. There's no evidence that fire does anything to the WWs

Considering that the Others live in the far north where summer never touches, and the fact that they only seem to come down with the winter, I'm going to say that they are not particularly tolerant to the heat of the fire. I highly doubt they can tolerate any heat at all. The cold literally comes with them. A fiery sword or hot metal might just do the job against their strange, blue-lit weapons. 

• 2 months later...

Lightbringer is Drogon. And Dany is Nissa Nissa, whom Jon - TPTWP, AA and the STWMTW, will need to kill (by impregnating her?) in order to yield the ultimate weapon against the Others.

It is known.

I can't believe that the Others and their uncountable hordes of wights are going to be defeated by one man, no matter how snazzy his sword is. That's like saying "Robert's Rebellion" was only a romantic duel between Bobbie Baratheon and Rhaegar T. (And the 10s of 1000s of others, soldier and innocent, who died somehow didn't exist? ) Moreover, the "Night's King" is not the ruler of the Others; that's just the teevie show.

The Azor Ahai story is useful in that we see it's driving Melisandre and her many machinations and deceptions, including her misreading of the flame visions. She, in turn, is driving Stannis. Westerosi are not similarly obsessed with the "Last Hero" story.

The two leaders who take the threat of the Others most seriously, Mance Rayder and Jon Snow, are not seeking crazily about for some magical sword, or trying to figure out what frail they like the best so as to quench their blades in her heaving bosom, nor are they brushing up on the blacksmithing arts. Or gathering a small group of "best friends", a dog, and a horse to head out blindly into the wilderness hoping to get lucky.

Only Mel believes legend needs to repeat itself. Everybody else wants a big army.

On 3/31/2018 at 9:53 AM, aventador577 said:

Awesome car.  Do you drive one?  Lightbringer didn't work because the Long Night still lasted long enough to reduce the number of people.  Old Nan reckoned it lasted a lifetime.  

If there is a sword version of lightbiringer, to be paired with the dragon version, the wisdom version etc. then I believe it is the original ice. Made from not of true ice but dragon glass that was strengthened through the process shown in the myth. But, I don't think Jon will stab a loved one.

I think the clues are dragon steel (not Valyrian, I believe they are different) that is the specially charged dragon glass that catches fire. I think this because of the dagger that Sam used becoming two cold to touch, so to be useful it would need an internal heat source, and the dragon glass candles can be lit with blood and the flame is shown to be stable, unlike normal flame. It's linked to dragons, and the new sword ice is also a type of dragon sword, and dark in color and I think that's a clue to tell us that the original ice was dark.

Then we are shown Bran wedding a tree. So a heart tree can be viewed as a wife. Now, if Robs will makes Jon the King of the North and heir to Winterfell that would be like him being married to Winterfell. And the heart tree is likely fed on the blood of the Stark kings, and Lords, so it is full of kings blood. If Jon stabs the tree, I think it will ignite from the Kings blood. But, will likely kill the tree. I think this because we are told about house Blackwood, who's heart tree is dead, and they have links to the Warg King, and the tree always being full of Ravens, that are linked to the children. 

Now, that said is one sword enough? Heck no, I think that was the issue. One sword was great, and did a lot more than normal dragon glass, or iron swords but not enough. I am a firm believer in there being more than one AA figure, and all of them are needed. This sword is one piece. Dany's dragons another, along with lots of the other characters we've seen. Example, Jon fights Mance with a sword and Mance said he'd have killed him if he had a dagger. Daggers are associated with assassins, so maybe Dany burns wights on an epic scale, and Jon distracts and battles the walkers while Arya strikes the killing blow to the heart of Winter (whatever that is) I don't see how one hero, no matter who your favorite is, makes sense.

On 4/2/2018 at 4:49 AM, Nezza86 said:

If it comes down to a one on one duel with the Nights King or head white walker then one sword might be pretty useful. And although it seems that Dragon glass, and possibly Valyrian steel and dragon fire are effective at killing white walkers, we should remember that there are two more books to go. The odds of GRRM making it so that the NK gets his hands on something that negates the usefulness of these items are pretty high. In fact if you've read the pre-release chapters of TWOW then you maybe already know.

I think after realising that the NK can withstand those things Jon will have no choice but to sacrifice someone to create Lightbringer. If Lightbringer is a flaming sword then its probably going to have to be one made from flame proof steel. If there really is power in kings blood then maybe we should be looking at which VS swords have been used to kill anyone from Noble families. So i'd put my money on Lightbringer being the stark sword Ice. Neds death represents the water tempering in the AA myth. A Lannister death to either of Oathkeeper or Widows Wail would be next for the lions heart, then the swords could be reforged into one and Jon may end up killing Dany with it to create Lightbringer. Of course the last tempering was a sacrifice so I think Dany's third betrayal-fire-mount are all the one thing involving her death. She betrays Jon somehow so he has to kill her, her death ignites Lightbringer and the final mount is the great Stallion that takes her to be with Drogo in the afterlife.

Jon is not Azor Ahai.  Dany is.  My opinion, Dany should give Jon to the flames.  Jon betrayed the N/W so he deserves to get a proper execution just in case Bowen Marsh botched the job.  The hour of the wolf is the night at its darkest.  Killing the wolves ends the darkness.   

The Dayne words are "Look out! Here it comes!"  It is known.

Speaking of "known", Eddard Stark is known to have returned to Starfall (probably some kind of meteor crater) and returned the greatsword "Dawn" to the Daynes after the Tower of Joy incident. This would seem to preclude the sword being "in Lyanna's casket", or on Lyanna's statue's lap - or ever having been in Ned's sheath as "Ice", for that matter. Ice is described as Valyrian steel, dark and striated. Dawn is supposed to be an eerie white, like no other sword. No resemblance, other than they're both greatswords.

And, of course, Ice has been destroyed. Given the relatively primitive metallurgical and smithing skills of the time, plus the fact it was Valyrian steel, it's unlikely the two new Lannister blades could ever be put back together.

The show (shhhh!) showed Ice in molten form being poured into two molds. That ain't how they did it back then (couldn't attain those temperatures), and that ain't how Valyrian steel works. Think Damascus steel. Its strength and flexibility come from the metal being folded and refolded like a croissant. You can't pour out folded steel, and you can't just hammer together two pieces and get anything with the strength of the original. Not even if you stick it through your honey's chest.

On 3/31/2018 at 6:53 AM, aventador577 said:

My problem with lightbringer and the theories around it, is that the sword is not necessary to kill white walkers. We have dragonglass, that can kill them and in A Feast for Crows it's implyed that Valyrian steel can kill them too.
And it makes sence, if you look at the timeline. The last long night was more than 8000 years ago. Then you pass forward 3000 years and you get the Valyrian Freehold. They develop a new kind of steel: Valyrian steel.
I simply don't see the need for lightbringer, especialy because our hero Jon has already a Valyrian steel sword. And at the end of the day lightbringer is only one sword.

it is an in book myth that is meant to show the direction  characters are going. There will be no in book  lightbringer 

17 hours ago, Jo Maltese said:

It is known.

"No dragon," Irri said. "Brave men kill them, for dragon terrible evil beasts. It is known."

"It is known," agreed Jhiqui.

See, I can also bring up selective book reading to declare Drogon evil and thus not lightbringer. 

Archived