How far will Arya go to kill her enemies?

Darth Sidious

Arya is nuts.  I believe she will not hesitate to burn down an entire city to cross Cersei off her Hit List.  She is worse than Catelyn Stoneheart in some ways. 

Obviously, none of us know the answer.  But I will present the question and see what kind of opinion it gets.  How far will Arya go to kill the people on her Hit List?  If there is no other way to kill Cersei, will Arya be willing to burn down an entire city to get her revenge? 

Use all of the information at your disposal, including the sample chapters from TWOW to form your opinion.

Rank the following in order of most obsessed with revenge.  The one most obsessed with revenge being number 1 and followed by the rest in that order.

Arya, Doran, Catelyn, Oznak Zo Phal's family, Walder Frey, Littlefinger, Tyrion, Pyat Pree, Cersei, and Sandor.

25 minutes ago, Agent Orange said:

Arya is nuts.  I believe she will not hesitate to burn down an entire city to cross Cersei off her Hit List.  She is worse than Catelyn Stoneheart in some ways. 

Obviously, none of us know the answer.  But I will present the question and see what kind of opinion it gets.  How far will Arya go to kill the people on her Hit List?  If there is no other way to kill Cersei, will Arya be willing to burn down an entire city to get her revenge? 

Use all of the information at your disposal, including the sample chapters from TWOW to form your opinion.

Rank the following in order of most obsessed with revenge.  The one most obsessed with revenge being number 1 and followed by the rest in that order.

Arya, Doran, Catelyn, Oznak Zo Phal's family, Walder Frey, Littlefinger, Tyrion, Pyat Pree, Cersei, and Sandor.

Arya has yet to go very far out of her way to kill anybody, and has yet to seek out anyone on her list.  Even

Raff essentially fell into her lap.

.  As for Cersei, other than mentions in her "prayer", she hardly thinks about her.  Every single mention of Cersei in her chapters in Braavos is in her prayer.  

One thing she has learned from the FM:  Collateral damage is a very bad thing.  So, even if she does try to kill Cersei (something I have my doubts about), she will target Cersei, and only Cersei.

For what it's worth, although she has some mental issues, I don't think she is anywhere near crazy, nor as obsessed with revenge as some other characters (Doran, Cersei, and Walder Frey are all worse).  I also have doubts that she will kill anyone on her current list, although I can her adding others to it, such as Roose and Ramsay Bolton, for example, or the Frey leadership.

She's insane and therefore, somewhat unpredictable.  The old man in Braavos had no quarrel with Arya and she killed him to continue her education with the faceless men.  

Spoiler

The violence with which she killed Raefford was disturbing.  

She's capable of any level of violence to get what she sees as justice for her family and her friends.  Yes.  I think if destroying a city is the only way she can get revenge on Cersei, yes.  Arya is just crazy enough to do it.

1. Arya.  The girl went all the way to Braavos to train with killers.  She peels faces  off corpses, kills an old man and Daeron.  I say that she is a strongly motivated girl.
  2. Doran.  Plotting all these years.  The years have not lessened his wish for revenge.
  3. The zo Phals.  Oznak's family.  Said to be all women now.
  4. Catelyn
  5. Walder 
  6. Pyat
  7. Littlefinger
  8. Sandor.  He hates his brother but he's not consumed with getting even.

13 hours ago, Helena Kyle said:

Reveal hidden contents

Yes.  I think if destroying a city is the only way she can get revenge on Cersei, yes.  Arya is just crazy enough to do it.

No, absolutely not. Obviously you don't understand the character. Arya has no desire to make collateral damages (unlike Cersei).

17 hours ago, Helena Kyle said:

She's insane and therefore, somewhat unpredictable.  The old man in Braavos had no quarrel with Arya and she killed him to continue her education with the faceless men.  

Reveal hidden contents

Spoiler

Oh, yes, poor Raff. He was just doing his job, OK? And Lommy totally had it coming.

“Can you walk?” He sounded concerned.

“No,” said Lommy. “You got to carry me.”

“Think so?” The man lifted his spear casually and drove the point through the boy’s soft throat. Lommy never even had time to yield again. He jerked once, and that was all. When the man pulled his spear loose, blood sprayed out in a dark fountain. “Carry him, he says,” he muttered, chuckling.

Carry him! What cheek!

And Arya would just, like, kill him just because he had murdered her friend in front of her and laughed about it?

What, she can't take a joke? That little psycho!

17 hours ago, Helena Kyle said:

Reveal hidden contents

She's capable of any level of violence to get what she sees as justice for her family and her friends.  Yes.  I think if destroying a city is the only way she can get revenge on Cersei, yes.  Arya is just crazy enough to do it.

1. Arya.  The girl went all the way to Braavos to train with killers.  She peels faces  off corpses, kills an old man and Daeron.  I say that she is a strongly motivated girl.
  2. Doran.  Plotting all these years.  The years have not lessened his wish for revenge.
  3. The zo Phals.  Oznak's family.  Said to be all women now.
  4. Catelyn
  5. Walder 
  6. Pyat
  7. Littlefinger
  8. Sandor.  He hates his brother but he's not consumed with getting even.

Not at all. Arya feels guilty all the time (=not psychopath). Arya makes friends that she cares about (=not psychopath). She never tortures anyone (= not sadist and likely uncapable of that kind of violence). All this opposes your conclusions.

Also how is taking out Raff disturbing, given the context? Bleeding out quickly, not quite realising whats happening is probably one of the kindest deaths we've seen in aSoIaF...

This is a fictional story and I am rooting for the little vigilante.

After her father’s death all the little nine year old wanted was to get back to WF or be reunited with a family member.

Martin put nasty ruthless people and roadblock after roadblock in her path.

The saddest thing in these books for me was when Arya through Nymeria’s eyes saw her dead mother.

Martin did provide Arya with a few survival teachers --- Syrio, Yoren, Jaqen, the Hound --- and she ends up at a place that teaches her much and more.

Arya is merely a secret agent in training. :P

The Ugly Girl DwD     "Mummers change their faces with artifice," the kindly man was saying, "and sorcerers use glamors, weaving light and shadow and desire to make illusions that trick the eye. These arts you shall learn, but what we do here goes deeper.

23 hours ago, Helena Kyle said:

She's insane and therefore, somewhat unpredictable. 

There it is.  Arya is mentally and emotionally disturbed.  Her behavior will be unpredictable for the most part.  But, I think if killing a lot of people is the only way to get to Cersei, sure, Arya is just crazy enough to do it.  This is a person who puts up with the hardships and trials of learning how to kill.  She's very serious and intent on killing the people on her list.  

On 3/31/2018 at 5:10 PM, Agent Orange said:

1.  Doran

2.  The Zo Phals

3.  Stoneheart

4.  Arya

5.  Petyr Baelish

6.  Walder Frey

7.  Pyat Pree

8.  Cersei

9.  Sandor Clegane

1 hour ago, Clegane'sPup said:

The Ugly Girl DwD     "Mummers change their faces with artifice," the kindly man was saying, "and sorcerers use glamors, weaving light and shadow and desire to make illusions that trick the eye. These arts you shall learn, but what we do here goes deeper.

Agree w/ all you said, including how sad and poignant when Arya sees Cat's corpse through Nymeria's eyes. 

And the bit above? Yeah, that's how she'll end up at the Wall. :eek:

Isn't it obvious?  Whatever it takes.  She lives for revenge and she's as empty inside as her mother, Lady Stoneheart.  The lives of innocent people are not going to dissuade Arya from her revenge.  Her sense of right and wrong is faulty.  Just imagine how berserk she will get when she learns that Jon was executed for treason.

On 3/31/2018 at 7:02 PM, Helena Kyle said:

Reveal hidden contents

Yes and she is predictable.  She will not hesitate to take down thousands of people to get to the people on that list of hers.

1 hour ago, Son of Man said:

Yes and she is predictable.  She will not hesitate to take down thousands of people to get to the people on that list of hers.

This is ridiculous. You must have read a different book. There is absolutely NOTHING in the books to suggest that grotesque idea.

Trolls aren't very smart these days…

On 2018-03-31 at 11:10 PM, Agent Orange said:

1 Cersei 

2 Phal

4 Walder Frey

5 Tyrion

6 Arya

7 lady Stoneheart

LF isnt revenge-driven, only greedy and ruthless.

Doran isnt prepared to risk a blister for revenge so far as we've seen, so I dont think he belongs in this list.

Pyat Pree was sour at Dany, but I think his time on the Silence might put things in prespective if he should survive. If so I expect him to be more pissed with Euron for torturing him and cutting him in half and all.

Sandor is a tricky one. He'd obvs take the Mountain on, but hate and revenge isnt whats driving him deep down. I think we saw through Sansa what Sandor really wants.

As I said before, Arya wouldnt burn a city to get at Cersei because she has empathy and a history with the commons in KL.

I get that Arya isnt a pretty written portrait, but given characters like Ramsay and Cersei to compare with... Arya is quite sweet.

On 3/31/2018 at 5:10 PM, Agent Orange said:

Yes.  I think she will.  Arya's humanity is gone.  

1. Doran Martell
  2. Arya Stark
  3. Walder Frey
  4. Oznak zo Phal's women
  5. Pyat Pree
  6. Catelyn/Stoneheart
  7. Cersei
  8. Tyrion

Petyr is doing it for power.  Revenge is just a bonus for him.  Sandor isn't too obsessed with his brother.  

2 hours ago, Son of Man said:

Just imagine how berserk she will get when she learns that Jon was executed for treason.

Ah, yes, this would push Arya over the edge.  

2 hours ago, Son of Man said:

Isn't it obvious?  Whatever it takes.  She lives for revenge and she's as empty inside as her mother, Lady Stoneheart. 

:agree:

Archived