How far will Arya go to kill her enemies?

Darth Sidious

1 hour ago, Lady Fevre Dream said:

The scene I'm thinking of is not the one you brought, it is The Waif and Arya talking.  The quote further up thread where The Waif tells Arya her story, it's not this conversation with the Kindly Man.  When she's finished, The Waif does, I believe, cop to 'the lie' being the actual amount her father had to pay.  I'm not sure what chapter, I'm not certain of the exact wording.  If I had MY book, and time, I'd look.  Same goes for your link. 

That's right, they're playing the lying game and the waif says her father gave thr FM all his fortune. And she says she's made one exaggeration and told one lie. Then she admits to the exaggeration being the amount her father gave the FM: 2/3 of his fortune, not all. And the lie was that she'd told  a lie. 

12 hours ago, kissdbyfire said:

That's right, they're playing the lying game and the waif says her father gave thr FM all his fortune. And she says she's made one exaggeration and told one lie. Then she admits to the exaggeration being the amount her father gave the FM: 2/3 of his fortune, not all. And the lie was that she'd told  a lie. 

LOL  Bingo.  Turns out, I am going to visit my book today.  I'll have to see if the person is done with it (I think so), and bring it on home.   I almost feel bad for the person........once they finish Dance, they'll be on the eternal wait for more with us. 

13 hours ago, Sigella said:

Yeah my qoute is what the Kindly Man tells Arya when she asks if the Waif was lying. Turns out she was.

Actually, I think this scene with the KM comes first.  I'm not sure the point of The Waif lying about lying, in the form of instruction, means what you are implying. 

17 hours ago, 300 H&H Magnum said:

That's not the premise of the question.  The question puts Arya in a situation where she has two choices.  Forget about killing her potential victim, or accept collateral damage in order to do so.  The FM are not infallible.  Not even close to it.  Jaqen nearly got himself burned because he got caught and made to ride the paddy wagon to the wall.  Arya may not get access to some of the more guarded people on her list.  

The discussion has gone beyond the original question, which was would Arya burn down an entire city to get Cersei. That would be committing a monstrous crime on a much higher level than accepting collateral damage.

My answer to that is that she would not, and she would not need to.

The FM are not infallible? True, but we don't know why "Jaqen" was in the wagon to begin with. As I see it there was an original Jaqen, a common Lorathi thug, whom an FM killed and disposed of in a manner sufficiently gruesome that Rorge and Biter are terrified of him. The fire was a wild card that turns up on occasion.

18 minutes ago, Light a wight tonight said:

As I see it there was an original Jaqen, a common Lorathi thug, whom an FM killed and disposed of in a manner sufficiently gruesome that Rorge and Biter are terrified of him.

I agree and honestly I don't understand why so many people have to elaborate theories explaining "Jaqen"'s presence in the black cells…

5 hours ago, Light a wight tonight said:

Biter

I know that Rorge was afraid of him, but there is no textual evidence that Biter is also afraid.

5 hours ago, Nowy Tends said:

agree and honestly I don't understand why so many people have to elaborate theories explaining "Jaqen"'s presence in the black cells…

My theory is that real Jaqen traveled with Yoren's group and was killed sometime after Lorch's attack on NW. 

7 minutes ago, Kandrax said:

My theory is that real Jaqen traveled with Yoren's group and was killed sometime after Lorch's attack on NW. 

But Jaqen spoke to Arya before, and his speech pattern is the same before and after Lorch's attack.

On 4/27/2018 at 4:37 PM, Light a wight tonight said:

Arya's not normal; she's exceptional. She's divine retribution, make no mistake. 

The Faceless Men slay for pay, but the payer has to give up more than wealth. They also give up something that is deeply meaningful to them personally. Someone had cause to want the insurance man dead, enough to part with something dear to them. The man bought his own demise through unscrupulous business practices. The fact that others are not punished this severely only means that they were lucky, not that he didn't deserve what he got.

Good Afternoon Lighter o' Wights.  We are obviously not ever going to see Arya in the same way.   Arya is not divine retribution.  What you choose to see as someone good and divine, I see as the opposite of all that.  

On 5/2/2018 at 6:00 PM, Agent Orange said:

Good Afternoon Lighter o' Wights.  We are obviously not ever going to see Arya in the same way.   Arya is not divine retribution.  What you choose to see as someone good and divine, I see as the opposite of all that.  

We more than likely do not see a great many things in the story the same way. As long as we can disagree civilly that's a good thing. Life would be stultifying if there were no differences of opinion.

42 minutes ago, Light a wight tonight said:

We more than likely do not see a great many things in the story the same way. As long as we can disagree civilly that's a good thing. Life would be stultifying if there were no differences of opinion.

I can respect that, Lighter o' Wights.

Archived