How far will Arya go to kill her enemies?

Darth Sidious

On 3/31/2018 at 5:10 PM, Agent Orange said:

Arya is nuts.  I believe she will not hesitate to burn down an entire city to cross Cersei off her Hit List.  She is worse than Catelyn Stoneheart in some ways. 

Obviously, none of us know the answer.  But I will present the question and see what kind of opinion it gets.  How far will Arya go to kill the people on her Hit List?  If there is no other way to kill Cersei, will Arya be willing to burn down an entire city to get her revenge? 

Use all of the information at your disposal, including the sample chapters from TWOW to form your opinion.

Rank the following in order of most obsessed with revenge.  The one most obsessed with revenge being number 1 and followed by the rest in that order.

Arya, Doran, Catelyn, Oznak Zo Phal's family, Walder Frey, Littlefinger, Tyrion, Pyat Pree, Cersei, and Sandor.

1. Arya
  2. Lady Stoneheart
  3. Walder
  4. Oznak Zo Phal's family
  5. Littlefinger
  6. Doran
  7. Pyat Pree

I also think it is within Arya to burn down a city if it is the only means of getting Cersei.  While the faceless men may teach the avoidance of collateral damage, Arya has shown that she put a higher priority on her obsession with revenge than she does with following their rules. She is a lot like Jon in many ways.  Jon places a higher priority in protecting his Stark family than he does with protecting the realm from the white walkers.  Which is stupid but that is another discussion for another topic.  Arya is fickle.  She picks and chooses the rules that she wants to follow.  She wants to learn the killing skills from the faceless men but she will only follow their rules as long as they don't stand in the way of her revenge.  

Spoiler

The killing of Raf was not ordered by the fm.  It was something Arya chose to do on her own.   

46 minutes ago, Wolf's Bane said:

I also think it is within Arya to burn down a city if it is the only means of getting Cersei. 

Arya does not go out of her way to get to people on her list. They are placed before her or someone else does the deed.

While the faceless men may teach the avoidance of collateral damage, Arya has shown that she put a higher priority on her obsession with revenge than she does with following their rules

“Unbidden, her prayer came to her lips. Ser Gregor, Dunsen, Raff the Sweetling. Ser Ilyn, Ser Meryn, Queen Cersei. She mouthed the names silently. In the House of Black and White, you never knew who might be listening.”     Unbidden sounds to me as a after thought not an obsession. 

She is a lot like Jon in many ways.  Jon places a higher priority in protecting his Stark family than he does with protecting the realm from the white walkers.  Which is stupid but that is another discussion for another topic. 

Agree that is another discussion for another topic.

Arya is fickle.  She picks and chooses the rules that she wants to follow. 

Could vert well be true.

She wants to learn the killing skills from the faceless men but she will only follow their rules as long as they don't stand in the way of her revenge.  

Martin did set Arya on the path to the HoBaW when Jaqen gave Arya the coin. What Arya was told when she arrived at the HoBaW was,  "A place of peace." His voice was gentle. "You are safe here. This is the House of Black and White, my child. Though you are young to seek the favor of the Many-Faced God."

As to Raff, Martin placed him in her path, Arya did not seek him out. I doubt Arya will seek out Cersei and the Frey revenge is LSH.

1 hour ago, Wolf's Bane said:

I also think it is within Arya to burn down a city if it is the only means of getting Cersei.  While the faceless men may teach the avoidance of collateral damage, Arya has shown that she put a higher priority on her obsession with revenge than she does with following their rules. She is a lot like Jon in many ways.  Jon places a higher priority in protecting his Stark family than he does with protecting the realm from the white walkers. 

Reveal hidden contents

The killing of Raf was not ordered by the fm.  It was something Arya chose to do on her own.   

Wrong on all points, which is not surprising from someone who has a problem with Raff's fate. Please provide ONE quote supporting your assertions.

8 hours ago, Ferocious Veldt Roarer said:

It's a super valid point. As we very well know, there's been no successful fraudster in the history of the humanity, for all those reasons listed above. ;) 

Why the hell are there even penalties for fraud on penal codes around the world, I wonder? And why are there consumer protection laws? Why are there even courts? Word gets around, after all, hence every wannabe fraudster, every businessman who offers anything but superior customer experience, is a pathetic, bankrupt  individual begging for spare change on street corners. It's only logical.

And I imagine that in the world with no Internet, no phones, no print press, and ubiquitous illiteracy, word got around even sooner than today. Karma must have been virtually instant.

Serious mode on... No, I can't. I really can't treat this argument seriously, and I can't imagine that you do.

I think I love you.

4 minutes ago, HoodedCrow said:

Only so one who “knows nothing” would call the character of Arya nuts. Perhaps they are just a crazed troll themselves.

Yep. Each thread about Arya, Jon or Robb is a water hole for trolls and disordered minds…

The troll bs annoys me. Come up with a better response.

In the secret spoiler eye a poster typed ----- The killing of Raf was not ordered by the fm.  It was something Arya chose to do on her own. 

I acknowledge the FM did not order Raff's death. It was something Arya decided to do. Does not negate that martin placed Raff in Arya's path.. She did not go out of her way to seek Raff out.

13 minutes ago, Clegane'sPup said:

You are not alone. 

In the secret spoiler eye a poster typed ----- The killing of Raf was not ordered by the fm.  It was something Arya chose to do on her own. 

I acknowledge the FM did not order Raff's death. It was something Arya decided to do. Does not negate that martin placed Raff in Arya's path.. She did not go out of her way to seek Raff out.

And even if she had sought him out, I'd be fine w/ that. I remember too well the thankfully few descriptions we get of the Mountain and his creatures doing their thing. :ack:

But that is a very far cry from burning (or whatever) a whole town full of innocent people to cross one name off your kill list. 

26 minutes ago, Clegane'sPup said:

I agree with every bit of this. 

The trolling is obnoxious as hell and shoves any discussion to the toilet. There is no progress. 

And I agree about Raff. Just take a look at the type of guy he is and what he was saying/doing in that Mercy chapter alone. Nasty. 

@kissdbyfire the question in my befuddled mind is, why the fook is Arya going to seek out Cersei when the Valonqar (whoever or whatever that is) is gonna do the deed?

I dunna no.

People yap. This is page seven. No one cares what was said on page two.

There are several "valonqar" camps round here... The argument is (more or less) that if the translation is [somewhat] correct and the word means "little brother", it could be any little brother/sibling from any family and not necessarily a Lannister. And Arya is a younger sibling, therefore Arya could be the valonqar. I don't buy it myself, but it has its supporters. 

21 minutes ago, The Fattest Leech said:

The trolling is obnoxious

When I made the statement I was referencing  when one poster names another poster troll. It annoys me.

There is a difference between a bull shiter, and a ass clown.

6 minutes ago, kissdbyfire said:

There are several "valonqar" camps round here... The argument is (more or less) that if the translation is [somewhat] correct and the word means "little brother", it could be any little brother/sibling from any family and not necessarily a Lannister. And Arya is a younger sibling, therefore Arya could be the valonqar. I don't buy it myself, but it has its supporters. 

Thanks. Well, whatever. I'll keep yapping that Arya will not seek out Cersei.

16 hours ago, Widowmaker 811 said:

She's getting closer.  By the way, people would have stopped buying insurance policies if the old man was a swindler.  The fact that he had customers meant he was a good businessman who provided good customer service.  Word gets around.  He would have had no customers if the old man was dishonest.If anything, it was a business competitor who "paid" for the assassination.  There are requirements and obligations on both sides when it comes to insurance coverage.  It is very possible that the covered party was in violation of the terms and lost his right to a claim.  The fact that it was an assassination by a cult instead of an arrest by the proper authorities meant that the old man was innocent.  

I think there's a good chance the guy screwed over someone, but there's also an equally good chance that his success simply destroyed someone's business (like you say). I'm not sure we'll ever find out which, what matters storywise is that Arya was capable of murdering a person without finding out whether he's guilty.

8 hours ago, Kandrax said:

What chapter?

I'm pretty sure that it's her first chapter, when she's leaving KL.

4 minutes ago, Joy Hill said:

I think there's a good chance the guy screwed over someone, but there's also an equally good chance that his success simply destroyed someone's business (like you say). I'm not sure we'll ever find out which, what matters storywise is that Arya was capable of murdering a person without finding out whether he's guilty.

I'm pretty sure that it's her first chapter, when she's leaving KL.

Thanks.

15 hours ago, Clegane'sPup said:

Arya is in no position right now to go hunting.  She's working on the FM's curriculum so she can go hunting in the future.  Raff was too tempting and Arya abandoned her responsibility to murder him.  Arya is not going to let rules stop her from crossing off her Hit List.  

14 hours ago, Clegane'sPup said:

@kissdbyfire the question in my befuddled mind is, why the fook is Arya going to seek out Cersei when the Valonqar (whoever or whatever that is) is gonna do the deed?

I dunna no.

People yap. This is page seven. No one cares what was said on page two.

So you believe a prophecy will absolutely happen and there is no way to prevent Tyrion or Jaime from killing Cersei.  I have to disagree.  Valonqar could be Arya in disguise.  

3 hours ago, Moiraine Sedai said:

Arya is in no position right now to go hunting.

As it relates to her list no Arya does not go hunting.

3 hours ago, Moiraine Sedai said:

So you believe a prophecy will absolutely happen and there is no way to prevent Tyrion or Jaime from killing Cersei.  I have to disagree.  Valonqar could be Arya in disguise.  

I do not believe in prophecy whether it be Westeros or real world.

2 hours ago, Clegane'sPup said:

As it relates to her list no Arya does not go hunting.

I do not believe in prophecy whether it be Westeros or real world.

While I tend to be skeptical of prophecy, Maggy the Frog seems to have been spot on so far, so I'll give her the valonqar.  I don't think it will be Arya though.

I agree that Arya has not gone looking for anyone on her list, and I don't see that changing.  I think of it as more of a prayer.  "Stranger, please take these people away."  If she runs into them, great; but she's not going to go to any effort to seek them out.

My guess is that the next one she meets (WOW spoiler)

after Raff

will be Ser Ilyn.  He's been given something of a buildup, and doesn't really belong on the list.  I also think he's smarter and more careful than Arya's other targets.

2 minutes ago, Nevets said:

will be Ser Ilyn.  He's been given something of a buildup, and doesn't really belong on the list.  I also think he's smarter and more careful than Arya's other targets.

That's a great point. Where is Ilyn now? Last we saw him he was w/ Jaime, so in all likelihood he is w/ the rest of Jaime's men. So it ties in w/ Arya getting close to LSH as well. 

1 minute ago, kissdbyfire said:

That's a great point. Where is Ilyn now? Last we saw him he was w/ Jaime, so in all likelihood he is w/ the rest of Jaime's men. So it ties in w/ Arya getting close to LSH as well. 

I think Arya's most likely destination after she leaves Braavos is the Riverlands.  She has a wolfpack there, as well as potential friends from the Brotherhood.  And, yes, I think a meeting with LSH is a distinct possibility.

Archived